The Veracity of Biblical Prophecy

And of course, there's always Mat. 24:34, where Jesus very explicitly says that he will return to the earth for his "second coming" within a generation - which has apparently not happened.

Maybe he did, but settled for a quiet life of tea and crimpets. That whole 'son of God' thing, must have been a pain :D

Right. The "these things" in this line are all the previous stuff in Mat. 24 about his second coming. However, that generation (which died around 1900 years ago) has been dead for a long time now, and none of those things have happened.

Jesus describes his second coming in some detail, then said that "his generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened." But that generation has passed away, and those things haven't happened.

I think you are misreading it. Jesus is saying that the world will not end until all these things are fulfilled.

For instance its clear that Jesus is saying the end is far in the future because he states:
"And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet" (Mat 24:6)

"And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come" (Mat 24:14)

"For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be." (Mat 24:21)

Surely he was not speaking of his generation, and if he was then it doesn't make any sense in context of Mat 24, but if he really did mean his generation, then he was completely wrong, since all the nations hadn't heard the gospel of the kingdom in just a few years

Last edited:
I split the thread and took out The Visitor's off-topic invitation to mock the 2nd coming. See the redirect in this forum.

Please keep on the topic or start a new one.

Fine - it didn't occur to me that you would use that sort of argument. Here are some that have more clearly failed:

Ezekiel 26:7-14
"For thus says the Lord: "Behold I will bring upon Tyre from the north Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon, king of kings, with horses and chariots, and with horsemen and a hosts of many soldiers. He will slay with the sword your daughters on the mainland; he will set up a seige wall against you. He will direct the shock of his battering rams against your walls, and with his axes he will break down your towers...With the hoofs os his horses he will trample all your streets; he will slay your people with the sword and your mighty pillar will fall to the ground...they will break down your walls and destroy your pleasant houses... I will make you a bare rock...you shall never be rebuilt, for I have spoken," says the Lord God."

When Ezekiel wrote that around 587 BC, it seemed like it would almost certainly come true; Nebuchadnezzar was laying siege to Tyre with a huge army that seemed overwhelmingly powerful. However, after 13 years of siege he finally gave up and went home. So there is no way that this can ever happen, unless you want to propose that Nebuchadnezzar will be brought back to life so that he can raise an army and siege Tyre.

This one about tyre is brought up so often that i will just post a link and let you read it for yourself:

http://www.tektonics.org/uz/zeketyre.html

And of course, there's always Mat. 24:34, where Jesus very explicitly says that he will return to the earth for his "second coming" within a generation - which has apparently not happened.

Matthew 24
29 “Immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.
The Parable of the Fig Tree

32 “Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that it[d] is near—at the doors! 34 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all these things take place. 35 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

Jesus was referring to the generation that would witnesses the signs given beforehand. This generation refers to the generation that would see the great tribulation the darkened moon and the stars falling from the sky. He was not referring to the generation that was with Him. He was saying that the generation that witnesses these signs will be the generation that will see the coming of the Lord.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Jesus was referring to the generation that would witnesses the signs given beforehand. This generation refers to the generation that would see the great tribulation the darkened moon and the stars falling from the sky. He was not referring to the generation that was with Him. He was saying that the generation that witnesses these signs will be the generation that will see the coming of the Lord.

See, this is exactly the sort of thing I was talking about. Jesus said "this generation," which if taken literally can only mean the generation that was currently alive...but you take it to mean "some future generation," never mind that fact that Jesus should have said "that generation" for your interpretation to make sense.

Jeremiah 33:17-21 17
“For thus says the LORD: ‘David shall never lack a man to sit on the throne of the house of Israel; 18 nor shall the priests, the Levites, lack a man to offer burnt offerings before Me, to kindle grain offerings, and to sacrifice continually.’”

The Permanence of God’s Covenant

19 And the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, saying, 20 “Thus says the LORD: ‘If you can break My covenant with the day and My covenant with the night, so that there will not be day and night in their season, 21 then My covenant may also be broken with David My servant, so that he shall not have a son to reign on his throne, and with the Levites, the priests, My ministers.

The covenant with the Levitical priests is broken, and the sacrificial system ended about two thousand years ago! Yet, I thought I saw the sun come up this morning. It did where I live, anyway. In fact I am being warmed by it as I type this. Kinda strange, this ought not to be according to the scriptures.

Houston we have a problem!

Last edited:
Back