The Simpleton Notion of ‘God’ is Unveiled Here

OK, there are people, sciforum members among them, on the beach of Tahiti, somewhat away from Papeete City, with the Southern Cross in the sky, and Orion having three hunting dogs, not just two. While this night sky inspires some thinking on cosmology, it is more that existence must be ever taken to precede in importance the declared essence, which is highly debatable, and so it is that there is dancing, drink, music, food from the sea, songs, storytelling, and much lovemaking in this fortunate self-sustaining place of warm air, with some tents and pier huts for sleeping.

Hawaii is fine, too, and while French Polynesian Tahiti doesn’t have the extent of the Hawaiian flora, it is a bit more off the beaten track yet it still has the wonderful mixture of east and west, as well as north and south, a medium crossroads of the world.

It about a human condition in general, not singling anyone out personally, saying that the nature of strong belief seems to sometimes lead to avoidance and neglect.

Our thoughts on what the human condition is are guided by similar principles as how we view individual persons.

When we talk about the human condition in general - Do we focus on faults? Do we believe that people are essentially good?

Would a believer here admit that 'God' cannot be shown?

I recall MOM once saying that he is technically an agnostic, for example.

Would someone stand up in the church pulpit and say "Well, 'God' is just a notion and not even up to the level of a theory, but…"

I have heard such things in religious settings but more so from religious people in private and several times here at the forums. Usually a bit between the lines, but it was enough to spot it.

I see no reason to. I have my faith, you have yours. Lets throw a party!

(because everything else is essentially banging your head against the wall)

There is a point where individualism turns into solipsism ...

Signal, what do you think of this derivation?

Something and/or Nothing

Nothing forever cannot be, obviously. Something forever has no source, for it was never made, so this cannot be; yet, there is something, and it has certain properties, so, something is made of nothing, which can only be distributed as ‘sum-things’; so, we look for a symmetric balance, and there it is: pairs, opposite in charge and matter state. There is both something and nothing at the same time.

I think this is a word game that proves nothing.

How come? How do you show this?

I was hoping for some gears to be turning rather than just a generalization, a "yes", or a "no".

What can we get from the observation that many single positive metaphysical positions taken alone seem to be absurd?

Last edited:
Our thoughts on what the human condition is are guided by similar principles as how we view individual persons.

When we talk about the human condition in general - Do we focus on faults? Do we believe that people are essentially good?

We focus on behavior and identify patterns and try to reason why. This is behavioral psychology, I suppose.

Thanks for the input, SlidesandScaffolds; that’s what I’m looking for.

We have to remember that life did not come about all at once through ‘chance’, but via accumulations over time upon already stable platforms, the unstable not having survived; so, it is that natural selection is the scientific alternate to intelligent design, not chance, but IDers wish to portray this false simplistic notion, especially with the famous, ill-conceived claim of analogy that a hurricane hitting Boing’s warehouse could not assemble a 747 jet.

Evolution does seem to be a mindlessly and numbingly slow process, taking billions of years, and that goes along perfectly with how it is thought to operate, death being the chooser of the pointless from the pointless, the wise from the silly, so to speak.

The human brain does often leap to simpleton notions, and that’s really something we are identifying in this thread. Someone may being feeling great one day, coming from from work to noisy kids and pets, and enjoying them, but on another day, being anxious, get irritated and blame the kids or the pets for the ‘annoyance’, for the brain has simply assigned the cause to what just preceded—the noise, not the anxiety state, and so it is again that we cannot just go by internal sensation, but must also be informed by externals that the internals alone can be blind to.

Any response?

There is a point where individualism turns into solipsism ...
I don't think he is literally saying that nothing exists but his own mind.

As I am inclined toward realism, the distinctions I have introduced, apply, at least for realists.
From the realist perspective, extreme individualism turns into solipsism.
This possibly is not the conclusion that, say, a relativist would come to.

We focus on behavior and identify patterns and try to reason why. This is behavioral psychology, I suppose.

But how we do behavioral psychology depends on our basic outlook; the basic outlook being our particular stance on what the human condition is.

How we do behavioral psychology depends on whether our basic outlook is theist, humanist, nihilist, Buddhist, etc.
This is how there are so many schools and approaches within Western psychology.

To begin with, it is not possible to do research by starting off neutral.

How come? How do you show this?

It is a word game that proves nothing (sic!).

In the beginning, there was nothing, and this nothing was something - it was something because it was there, even if it was nothing.

"Something" and "nothing" can function as pronominals or as numerals. In communication, confusion can arise when the two uses are conflated.
(Such as in It is a word game that proves nothing (sic!).)

This is why we need to use nominals, to avoid that kind of confusion.
Ie. we need to name phenomena, instead of merely pronominally referring to them.

I was hoping for some gears to be turning rather than just a generalization, a "yes", or a "no".

Well, then you need to move past "something" and "nothing"!

What can we get from the observation that many single positive metaphysical positions taken alone seem to be absurd?

What do you mean?

The uneasy feeling that comes when we become aware we have a metaphysical meta-awareness - ie. an awareness that a metaphysical position isn't a given, isn't something solid that would have always existed?

It is a word game that proves nothing (sic!).

In the beginning, there was nothing, and this nothing was something - it was something because it was there, even if it was nothing.

"Something" and "nothing" can function as pronominals or as numerals. In communication, confusion can arise when the two uses are conflated.
(Such as in It is a word game that proves nothing (sic!).)

This is why we need to use nominals, to avoid that kind of confusion.
Ie. we need to name phenomena, instead of merely pronominally referring to them.

Well, then you need to move past "something" and "nothing"!
I think he is trying to say that we start with nothing and by the end of the day we still have most of it left.
:D

That point. You'll know it in your heart when you reach it.

In one sense it can be construed as absurd, granted, but in another sense
it could be quite useful.
Universal knowledge is not known because it is universal knowledge, it is accepted as such due to our individual processing.

jan.

Back