the religious forum is getting stagnant. lets liven it up!.

I don't think I have any problem with atheism being a 'beleif'. You could even go as far to say agnosticism is belief:

ag·nos·ti·cism Audio pronunciation of "agnosticism" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (g-nst-szm)
n.

1. The doctrine that certainty about first principles or absolute truth is unattainable and that only perceptual phenomena are objects of exact knowledge.
2. The belief that there can be no proof either that God exists or that God does not exist.

So the debate on what a belief is, is irrelevant. Someone on this forum said that in recorded history, humans have created 2,500 Gods. I believe the Christian God to be no different to the other 2,499. I also believe that atheism is statistically far more likely to be true than that of any theist. But that is only when the question is asked of wether God does or does not exist. When you start scribbling down the morals, motives and details of God, you are automatically guarunteed to be wrong.

That is my belief, but what is fact, is the behavior a belief in God does to people, and I most certainly don't want to live like that.

charles, im not being pompous.

you and another fellow were debating semantics, and i put a stop to it. it could have ended alot faster, if either of you had chosen to actually look up the definitions you were arguing about.

first saying that an atheist doesnt have to believe anything, and then directly saying that they have dogmas is a contradiction.
shall i provide a definition for that word too? (contradiction, in case you dont follow.)

charles cure said:
lack of belief does not refer to agnosticism. agnosticism is non-allegiance to an organized "religion, but also not a denial of the existence of god.

atheism is a disbelief in the concept of god or gods. which, i suppose could be seen as "the doctrine that there is no god" but in that case there is only one doctrine, one piece of dogmatic belief. there isnt a specific set of things that a particular atheist must believe or deisbelieve in order to be an atheist. all that is required for the label it to deny the existence of god. so its hard to be dogmatic when at most you only have one "belief" if you could even call it that. the word itself strikes right at the heart of the matter. atheism - the absence of theism. theism is the word, a - the prefix meaning without or the opposite of. the defining root is theism. without theism there could be no atheism as atheism is little more than a reaction to or denial of theism. get with it.

Are you trying to be ignorant, or is it on accident? The way you defined agnosticism is actually the definition for DEISM. Someone above me posted the official definition of agnostics, I suggest you read it.

charles cure said:
you read the dictionary and you find the same contradiction.

atheism
One entry found for atheism.
Main Entry: athe·ism
Pronunciation: 'A-thE-"i-z&m
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French athéisme, from athée atheist, from Greek atheos godless, from a- + theos god
1 archaic : UNGODLINESS, WICKEDNESS
2 a : a disbelief in the existence of deity b : the doctrine that there is no deity

try not being so pompous, we all have a dictionary.

Being pompous is what you are doing. Your last post you used the definition of Deism as your definition for agnosticism. Actually, I guess that's not being pompous, just wrong.

*tries extremely hard not to laugh at the signature under quarkmoon's name*
*fails miserably*
im really surprised noone has commented. thats awesome!!

The Devil Inside said:
it is my opinion that fanatical atheists (not all atheists fall into this category) are frequently as dogmatic as most religious folks, if not more so.

what is your opinion on "those that do not believe" being the sheep they claim the spiritual to be?

hit me!!

Baaaaaaa!... er did I just say that? I don't really have an opinion whether someone is a leader, follower, or switches between the roles :). I do however see a cool opportunity. MW suggested 'hey lets all get together'. I think thats great... and if we could would we drink beer and party? Of course. After we've gel-ed a little bit we could go through some thought exercises. Some ideas could be:

* Why are our thought processes so different when it comes to understanding reality?
* What are the commonalities in our thought processes and why do they exist?
* What criteria could a 'believer' meet to persuade a 'non-believer'. What about the reverse?

Who knows what could happen from there...

The Devil Inside said:
*tries extremely hard not to laugh at the signature under quarkmoon's name*
*fails miserably*
im really surprised noone has commented. thats awesome!!

Oh shit he didn't... hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahaha :m:

SnakeLord said:
In a way I guess all of us here could be described as 'fanatical', (or certainly more so than your average joe).

Unlike 'normal' people that spend their life talking about their favourite soap opera, football team and other such worthless tripe, we all choose to go onto a forum and debate religious issues.

The religious people here clearly want to tell the world that what they believe is true.

The atheists here clearly want to tell the religious people that they're talking utter bollocks.

Only someone slightly 'fanatical' would even bother. Nobody else honestly gives a shit.

True. Most people don't care at all. I would much rather spend my time being lampooned by someone life Psychotic Episode then spend 5 minutes listening to a conversation on the latest reality TV sensation. :rolleyes:

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

QuarkMoon said:
Being pompous is what you are doing. Your last post you used the definition of Deism as your definition for agnosticism. Actually, I guess that's not being pompous, just wrong.

dont be an idiot. deism is a belief that there was a creator who made the universe and then left it to its own devices.

agnosticism is non-commitment to a particular religious denomination and a non-commitment to the belief in a god. a sort of wait and see type of thing.

i didnt use the definition of deism to define agnosticism. maybe you should read it again.

The Devil Inside said:
charles, im not being pompous.

you and another fellow were debating semantics, and i put a stop to it. it could have ended alot faster, if either of you had chosen to actually look up the definitions you were arguing about.

first saying that an atheist doesnt have to believe anything, and then directly saying that they have dogmas is a contradiction.
shall i provide a definition for that word too? (contradiction, in case you dont follow.)

you should really learn to read for comprehension.

wait, let me clarify since i know you wont understand.

what i said was that atheism is a disbelief in god. atheists do not believe in god. thats the only characteristic they have in common. i found the dictionary definition to support my understanding of it, do you disagree? if you do, look up atheism. i guess it is largely a question of point of view, you may say that atheists believe that there is no god, but it defies the meaning of the word belief itself to say that someone believes that something doesnt exist. if you believe that there is nothing where something should be then in reality you dont actually have a belief, you have a disbelief in the assertion that something is there. theism came first, then atheism, if you look at the greek root it is the prefix A added to THEOS for god. that word itself means without god, absence of god...etc. that means that the structure of the word itself implies that theism has to exist before you can have atheism. that, to me would indicate that since you could never have an atheist if no one had ever believed in a god first, it is not a belief in and of itself, but a renouncement of belief.
there is no dogmatic aspect to disbelief, what i was saying is that if you insist on arguing that atheism is dogmatic, then you have to look at what makes someone an atheist. the only criteria necessary for the label is a denial of the existence of god, since atheism does not espouse any other "belief" then it follows that there is no atheist doctrine or dogma except that one same defining pronouncement denying the existence of god. it could honestly not be any clearer.

its like talking to a kindergarten class here sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
charles cure said:
how are those two statements not, in essence, the same thing? you're saying oh well you cant have an accurate statistic of whether smarter people believe or dont because you cant determine who has more intelligence in any meaningful way. come on. just because someone disputes the validity of the average IQ test doesnt make it an obsolete measure. and it doesnt mean that you have to use that either, there are other more comprehensive tests out there i believe.

Eh, you're right. They're pretty much the same thing. My words betrayed me, for that was not my meaning. You'll have to forgive me, I wrote that at 5-6 this morning, without having yet been to sleep. I still haven't slept, so don't be surprised if my logic is still somewhat dodgy. Despite the obvious discredit to my argument, I will rephrase it to be "it's terribly difficult to guage intelligence."

Also, it isn't just "someone" who disputes the accuracy of IQ tests, most psychologists reconize its lacking in comprehensive intelligence testing. I'd find a few web links to show this, but I'm too lazy. I'd ask you to trust me, but as a scientist, you're prone to doubt. So, proceed with your rebuttle.

charles cure said:
technically, using any scientific or empirical approach, all you can ever do is measure particular modes of thought, so each test on its own is imperfect, and apparently that means you cant rely on any of them to guage intelligence if you follow your line of reasoning.

Yes, you can use them to guage intelligence, but particular aspects of it only. Thus, in combination, you're likely to get the best possible measurement. My point is merely that the poles are biased in the regard that they're drawing upon a particular field of intelligence.

charles cure said:
actually, intelligence is exactly what i said it was. the definition of the word intelligence proves my point, as it is defined by Merriam-Websters New World Dictionary to mean:

1.ability to learn and understand or deal with new or trying situations. 2. mental acuteness. 3. information, news. 4. an agency engaged in obtaining information esp. concerning an enemy or possible enemy.

Again, my reasoning was a bit dodgy, or perhaps my wording was. I take for granted that everyone has equal capacity to learn. What I do not believe, though, is that everyone makes use of that capacity, or knows how to make use of it, mostly because self-doubt often begins to take place in childhood, which slows or blocks the learning process. The capacity is there, but the process is stunted. Other things also come into play to stunt particular ways of learning. Thus, I don't see intelligence as having the capacity to learn, but making use of that capacity. This is where you need to look back at the definition: to learn AND understand OR deal with new or trying situations. A person may not necessarily be able to understand a new or trying situation, but such people may learn to deal with such situations. By the definition you supplied, one need not necessarily have particularly strong logic abilities, but may still be considered intelligent. Furthermore, understanding needn't necessarily be classed as logical knowledge of. A person can have a firm grasp of a situation without knowing the logistics of it.

charles cure said:
as you can see, a crucial part of that definition is "the ability to deal with new or trying situations" that is why children who cannot learn what is presented to them in a school setting are considered to be at least partially unintelligent, because they cannot adapt to learn or understand concepts delivered to them in anything but one or two specific ways. that need for a particularly conducive setting in order to foster their ability to learn is what culls them from the crop of otherwise intelligent people. your point is useless, because you are trying to say that all subjects require equal intelligence to understand, and in addition to that you are saying everyone absent mental retardation basically has the same capacity for learning. untrue. there are at least a dozen psychological, developmental, environmental, and experiential factors that effect a persons cognitive ability, and in many cases these may have as large of an effect as would a physiological disorder such as cerebal palsy or autism. guages of intelligence do not focus on subjects such as the arts and literature because "correct" answers to questions about them are subjective and open to a wide range of interpretations. this cannot be said however, for the outcome of a mathematical equation or physics experiment. these subjects are focused on and used as the guage because there is a strict limit to the range of correct answers yet a far wider range of creative approaches that can be used to obtain the correct result. that is a satisfactory way to measure the ability to learn and understand or respond to new and trying situations. the arts do not enter into it in as meaningful a way because their subject matter is mostly not fact based and is almost always subject to personal taste.

Eh... No, I'm not saying equal intelligence is needed to learn every subject.

I recognize the fact that intellect is stunted due to many different factors.

Sciences explore creative methods, arts explore creative results. Both explore creativity. This is one of the most important aspects of intelligence.

charles cure said:
i bet if you did a study, you would find some high school drop outs that could tell you a lot of facts about their favorite sports teams because they are repeating information that is constantly bombarding them all the time if sports is the focus of their interests. this is nothing more than memory and the ability to recall facts that have been told to you over and over. retarded people can do that. i think you would find a significant drop in the understanding of the actual inner workings of the sports world as it relates to business practices were you to ask these same people. i guarantee each would have his or her own version of what they believe it to be like, but few would understand why these things take place or the consequences of the decisions made behind the scenes on any larger scale. and furthermore, were you to attempt to foster in these people, similar knowledge in a different subject area, they may not prove to be as efficient at learning something else because their disinterest in the subject would preclude it. intelligence is not the ability to learn one thing and recite it. intelligent people have the ability to learn and understand a wide range of concepts and information that is delivered to them in a variety or different ways and situations. your argument here is weak at best.

Logic operates by making use of memorized methods. The person who does understand the deep inner workings of the business side of sports does so, not necessarily because he's more intelligent, but because he's been taught how the system works. He knows the way it works because it's part of his memory. If the high-school drop-out is taught how the system works, it doesn't make him more intelligent, it merely creates a new set of ideas within his own mind which are then stored in his memory and called upon whenever he perceives situations in the sport that operate upon those learned principles. Learning is merely the process of connecting more than one idea to create a new one. The reason many people have difficulty learning concepts in school isn't because they can't connect the two ideas, but because they misrepresent the ideas conveyed, so often what takes place is the teacher is saying one thing, and the student is thinking something else. TEACHING is all about communication, and if that communication isn't clear, then the ideas and concepts don't connect. Scholastic advancement is too often not a good measure of intelligence.

charles cure said:
wrong. it is the absolute core of intelligence. without the ability to learn you cannot know, without the ability to know you cannot judge, interpret, extrapolate, expand or expound on any concept, no matter how abstract or concrete. you need to go back to the drawing board and rethink this.

Well, this is debatable. I'd say without the capacity for conditioning, you couldn't know. However, if you're talking about mental learning, then I'd say you've got it backwards, that it is without the capacity to know, you cannot learn. Thusly, everything else that follows from that you are also incorrect on.

charles cure said:
nobody said that guaging intellignece was relegated to only measuring one hemispherical function or another, many of the functions of the brain involve one hemisphere acting in conjunction with the other. there are not specific mental reasoning abilities that are strictly confined to each side because complex thought and understanding usually involve a combination of functions from both sides.

from http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/articles/dominance/index.htm

Even though both hemispheres of the brain have independent functions, an individual benefits from the integration of the processing of information performed by each side. The hemisphere best suited to perform the processing will process information; this allows an individual greater understanding and learning potential of the situation that initiated the brain processing information.

This is true, I suppose it was presumptuous of me to say that those statistics were based on IQ tests solely. Though, those statistics probably don't even say what they're based on. Eh... anyway...

charles cure said:
dont be an idiot. deism is a belief that there was a creator who made the universe and then left it to its own devices.

agnosticism is non-commitment to a particular religious denomination and a non-commitment to the belief in a god. a sort of wait and see type of thing.

i didnt use the definition of deism to define agnosticism. maybe you should read it again.

Deism is the belief in God without adhering to organized religion.

Agnosticism is someone who niether believes nor does not believe in the existence of God and that proof either way may never surface.

As for atheism, there are two "subgroups". "Strong atheists" and "weak atheists". Specify which you are referring to, because both definitions use different wording and causes confusion. "Strong Atheists" insist God does not exist, while "weak atheists" simply have a disbelief of God until proven.

But as you can see, you mixed the definitions of Deism and Agnosticism.

charles cure said:
you should really learn to read for comprehension.

wait, let me clarify since i know you wont understand.

what i said was that atheism is a disbelief in god. atheists do not believe in god. thats the only characteristic they have in common. i found the dictionary definition to support my understanding of it, do you disagree? if you do, look up atheism. i guess it is largely a question of point of view, you may say that atheists believe that there is no god, but it defies the meaning of the word belief itself to say that someone believes that something doesnt exist. if you believe that there is nothing where something should be then in reality you dont actually have a belief, you have a disbelief in the assertion that something is there. theism came first, then atheism, if you look at the greek root it is the prefix A added to THEOS for god. that word itself means without god, absence of god...etc. that means that the structure of the word itself implies that theism has to exist before you can have atheism. that, to me would indicate that since you could never have an atheist if no one had ever believed in a god first, it is not a belief in and of itself, but a renouncement of belief.
there is no dogmatic aspect to disbelief, what i was saying is that if you insist on arguing that atheism is dogmatic, then you have to look at what makes someone an atheist. the only criteria necessary for the label is a denial of the existence of god, since atheism does not espouse any other "belief" then it follows that there is no atheist doctrine or dogma except that one same defining pronouncement denying the existence of god. it could honestly not be any clearer.

its like talking to a kindergarten class here sometimes.

as you brought the subject up, id like for you to read the quoted post, and then to read the definition i have supplied ESPECIALLY for you:

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

pompous
One entry found for pompous.
Main Entry: pomp·ous
Pronunciation: 'päm-p&s
Function: adjective
1 : excessively elevated or ornate <pompous rhetoric>
2 : having or exhibiting self-importance : ARROGANT <a pompous politician>
3 : relating to or suggestive of pomp : MAGNIFICENT
- pomp·ous·ly adverb
- pomp·ous·ness noun

sometimes its like talking to a kindergarten class...HA!!
most of us would run in circles around your ass.

QuarkMoon said:
Deism is the belief in God without adhering to organized religion.

Agnosticism is someone who niether believes nor does not believe in the existence of God and that proof either way may never surface.

As for atheism, there are two "subgroups". "Strong atheists" and "weak atheists". Specify which you are referring to, because both definitions use different wording and causes confusion. "Strong Atheists" insist God does not exist, while "weak atheists" simply have a disbelief of God until proven.

But as you can see, you mixed the definitions of Deism and Agnosticism.

no one else specified between weak and strong atheists in their responses, what makes you think that i should. also, do you think that a "strong atheist" would remain an atheist if definitive proof of god's existence surfaced? i doubt they would, which seems to me to really make the distinction between the two almost pointless.

once again, i didnt mix up deism and agnosticism.

deism
One entry found for deism.
Main Entry: de·ism
Pronunciation: 'dE-"i-z&m, 'dA-
Function: noun
Usage: often capitalized
: a movement or system of thought advocating natural religion, emphasizing morality, and in the 18th century denying the interference of the Creator with the laws of the universe
- de·ist /'dE-ist, 'dA-/ noun, often capitalized
- de·is·tic /dE-'is-tik, dA-/ adjective
- de·is·ti·cal /-ti-k&l/ adjective
- de·is·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

The Devil Inside said:
Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

pompous
One entry found for pompous.
Main Entry: pomp·ous
Pronunciation: 'päm-p&s
Function: adjective
1 : excessively elevated or ornate <pompous rhetoric>
2 : having or exhibiting self-importance : ARROGANT <a pompous politician>
3 : relating to or suggestive of pomp : MAGNIFICENT
- pomp·ous·ly adverb
- pomp·ous·ness noun

thanks, i am rather magnificent.
by the way, if i remember correctly, youre the one who was arrogant enough to think that you should go around "correcting" people who didnt have the definitions of words right in a discussion that you werent participating in at all up until that point. and, by the way, your correction turned out to be not as 100% right as you thought it was in the first place.that seems relatively pompous to me. all i did was dispute you and now its all my fault. come on, get a grip. its all going to be ok.

sometimes its like talking to a kindergarten class...HA!!
most of us would run in circles around your ass.

yeah i bet you would run circles right around me. you've really demonstrated a lot of intellectual prowess here. my mind is dwarfed by your presence. maybe you should refer back to that definition of pompous again to make sure i wasn't right about you.

beyondtimeandspace said:
Also, it isn't just "someone" who disputes the accuracy of IQ tests, most psychologists reconize its lacking in comprehensive intelligence testing. I'd find a few web links to show this, but I'm too lazy. I'd ask you to trust me, but as a scientist, you're prone to doubt. So, proceed with your rebuttle.

i dont know if you would find that most psychologists use a simple IQ test to measure intelligence anymore, in fact probably haven't for about the last decade or so at least, which seems to me to make the whole thing a moot point. if a more comprehensive test is used now to guage intelligence, then it would be those findings that one would rely on to determine who is more intelligent. you brought the IQ test into the discussion, not cris or I, so if its invalid, then "higher IQ only" isn't what was meant by "more intelligent people".

Sciences explore creative methods, arts explore creative results. Both explore creativity. This is one of the most important aspects of intelligence.

right but science acheives "hard answers" to problems, and by nature, the problems of science and mathematics havea very small range of answers that can be correct and have the desired practical result. for instance, if you do a math problem wrong and draw a blueprint for a house where a section of the structure leans 3" to the left when it was supposed to be straight, chances are that the house will not stand correctly. there arte many approaches you could take to the design of the house to make it stand, however, the fact remains that when done incorrectly, the result cannot be acheived. the arts are soft subjects, there are multiple approaches, as well as a large range of correct or asthetically pleasing results due to the subjectivity of personal taste. because of this intelligence is much harder to guage by analyzing the artistic approach than it is to guage by analyzing the way a person deals with empirical data.

"because of this intelligence is much harder to guage by analyzing the artistic approach than it is to guage by analyzing the way a person deals with empirical data."

I suppose this means we can then jump to the conclusion that purveyors of the sciences are more intelligent? I know you'll say no, but I had to ask it anyway. Long story short, intelligence is hard to guage, and I'm still not convinced by the surveys.

Cris said:
But from the many sets of statsitics that many members have referenced here, the tendency seems to be that the more intelligent and the better educated then the higher the likelyhood they will not be believers.
Your use of the term "believer" here is perfectly ambiguous.

What you should say is that the intelligent and educated will be less likely to become fanatical believers in a particular type of God, and be blind to other possibilities which show that they might not have it all figured out yet.
In the same way, an intelligent and educated person is less likely to ignore all other possibilities outside their limited scope of knowledge and experience and become a dogmatic, fanatical, athiest.

Back