The Relevance of the Concept of God

which is exactly the point regarding buddhism's lack of God that people sometimes seem to not get, i.e. that there isn't much, if any, buddhism that includes worship of a being - rather it is that the being can open one's eyes to one's own enlightenment. The "Pure land" sect of buddhism, however, does seem like worship to me, "If you wish to come and be born in my realm, you must always call me to mind again and again, you must always keep this thought in mind without letting up, and thus you will succeed in coming to be born in my realm." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Land_Buddhism

My point is that Buddhist theism isn't much like monotheistic Abrahamic or Hindu theism. The Buddhist gods, like the old Greek gods, are, in comparison to the monotheistic concept of divinity in Abrahamic religons and Hinduism, actually merely demigods - powerful beings, usually in higher realms, but which are not credited as being the Supreme Personality of Godhead, or the First Cause, the Summum Bonum. Those qualifications are reserved for the monotheistic concept of divinity in Abrahamic religions and Hinduism.

And, to emphasize this again: there are many varieties of Buddhism. Some involve the worship of deities, some do not.

1 - how can a being that is worshipped be supplanted by non-worship?

I suppose in the mind of a person who presumes themselves to know exactly how religions - and everything else - have come to be, that's easy.

Every man discriminates between the voluntary acts of his mind, and his involuntary perceptions, and knows that to his involuntary perceptions a perfect faith is due. He may err in the expression of them, but he knows that these things are so, like day and night, not to be disputed. My wilful actions and acquisitions are but roving; — the idlest reverie, the faintest native emotion, command my curiosity and respect. Thoughtless people contradict as readily the statement of perceptions as of opinions, or rather much more readily; for, they do not distinguish between perception and notion. They fancy that I choose to see this or that thing. But perception is not whimsical, but fatal. If I see a trait, my children will see it after me, and in course of time, all mankind, — although it may chance that no one has seen it before me. For my perception of it is as much a fact as the sun.

http://www.emersoncentral.com/selfreliance.htm

the point of this is not whether i am moral a certain way, or you are moral a certain way, because, obviously, some people aren't compassionate, as we have already discussed. Are we talking about Morality, or my morality? I thought we were talking about Morality as a thing humanity has, i.e. inclusive of all humans. We can talk about my morality and methods, I have already explained myself multiple times here on that subject, but I thought we were trying to discuss how people are moral and immoral. If we are talking about my morality, we don't need to talk about biology and sociopaths and all that, or commands. (you still don't seem to understand my point that commands can be broken and are broken all the time, so they offer much more freedom and responsibility than an actual instinct would, and as much freedom as a "drive" or "impulse" would.)

I'm asking you to introspect with me our own sense of what is moral so we CAN determine the sources of it for our human species. You ARE an evolved human I assume. Who better to tell us what the experience of morality includes or excludes than us eh? I still don't believe you act morally out of a sense of obligation to some authority. I mean we DO act this way with the law. We drive the speed limit and return library books on time because we are obeying rules set up by higher authorities. But that's not moral behavior. It's just being obedient, which is something totally different.

and the only reason they are considered responsible is that an authority says they should act in a way that goes against what their lack of empathy tells them to do. If nobody told the sociopath not to act that way, they might not even know they caused another person to suffer, and they certainly wouldn't care.

I think a sociopath can reason his way to morality even without empathy. He may still afterall have a value for the common good--for the welfare of the group over the individual. That doesn't necessarily require empathy. And given this inherent rationality of certain moral actions, it is certainly possible to choose them without having been told to by some higher authority.

it isn't like i am not intimately familiar with those biological ideas, and what you posted affirms my idea as much as it could any of yours. Science isn't going to prove to you how to be moral, unless you claim biological survival as the utilitarian ethic morality is based upon, at which point it seems to me our survival morality is no more noble than the lion or wolf's survival morality. It is just considered relatively more moral at that point because it is our own survival.

I didn't say science could dictate how to be moral. That falls back into some religious command-based morality again--a morality of subservience and submission to authority. Rather, I submit that science explains how morality has evolved in us as a species, morality in the sense of judging the difference between right and wrong, good and evil. Are you denying it has so evolved? That humans are just a sort of blank slate over which ethics has to be imposed and learned from some higher authority or book?

i agree with you, and the deontologists, as opposed to the consequentialists, that intention is a part of morality, not just the result. This is part of why i keep protesting that obedience from fear is a lower morality, although you keep bringing up this whole command thing, when i am merely talking about guidance, since modern post-existentialist humans must make CHOICES. Obedience from love however could be seen in a different way. The christian ethic is quite often portrayed in this manner, i.e., "If you love me, you will keep my commandments" John 14:15. My personal favorite for devotional examples is Hanuman, the hindu god that loves his master/friend so much in the mahabharata. (i have to say though, i am barely familiar with that teaching, so it could just be my personal IDEA of Hanuman in which hanuman is so great.)

It always strikes me that the same Jesus who said "love thine enemies" also believed and preached his soon return to earth with his angels to reek vengence upon all those who refused to worship him. Something a little hypocritical there to me.

yet they can't really be called "instincts", because people choose to ignore everything in your list all throughout the day.
i am going to stick with the psychologists, i.e "experts" on human behavioral science, on this particular point, and say human's instincts are certainly not as much "in play" as in an animal. Fear of falling off a building is as much what you call "instinct" as empathy, but people jump out of planes for fun. I agree we have an "instinctive level", it is just not capable of being called morality, nor is it as important for survival as an animal's.

Just because an instinct can be resisted doesn't mean it still isn't an instinct. In a pack of wolves, one member may resist his pack instinct to cooperate with others and instead hunt and eat all for himself. Lone wolves they call them. Or I may fast for awhile in an attempt to lose weight, thus denying my instinct for eating for awhile. Instincts can be resisted and overridden by opposing instincts and in humans by reason. Happens all the time.

definitely not. A baby sucking it's mother's breast is instinctive. Humans can't even figure out whether we should mate heterosexually or not, and many humans choose not to mate at all. HUmans are very good at taking natural preferences and fears and flipping them on their heads, so that they are no longer discernible as instinct at all. Maybe the action of grouping together in a social group instead of all of us being anti-social is instinct. This is not morality though, and if empathy is simply a tool for grouping together, i wouldn't call that morality either. The predator's separating the weak from the herds also a tool, and i wouldn't call that immoral, even if the wolf pack were conscious of what it was doing, and could choose not to do it.

So when people are motivated by their herd instinct, to do good for the community, or by their empathic instinct, to help someone in need, it isn't really moral behavior? What then motivates moral action? You can't decide to do something unless you already have some incentive for what it will accomplish. Once again, do people only do moral things because they are commanded to? Because they want to brown-nose some higher authority/God? I hope not, cuz that authority might totally be just a power-hungry tyrant for all I know.

i think it is a mistake to attach reason to empathy or a conscience, reason is its own animal. Unless you want to say reason is a tool by which people can show each other how to think, and therefore group better, and therefore fulfill their empathic desires, but it is just as easy to say reason is a tool to be used to oppress and control. I would prefer not to give reason a moral weighting.

That's quite a reversal of your thesis. Weren't you saying earlier that we derive our morality from philosophers and thinkers? That we learn it from higher men like Jesus and Socrates who can reason it out for us and show it to be necessary? And if morality isn't rational, what is the point in heeding it?

i am just confused as to how people with deficient empathic capacity are not "amoral" under your system.

Because morality can be reasoned out. Even a sociopath recognizes the benefits of cooperating with a group and seeking the group's advantage over his own. We all want to live in an orderly society afterall. Moral behavior enables this to happen. We aren't thrown into a herd of bickering and fighting malcontents all trying to do whatever they want all the time. Nobody wants that, not even a sociopath.

I am also confused as to how we can be partly relativist, although perhaps you seem to think it possible. Pure Democracy is "partly relativist" in its function, because it takes a bunch of relative views and grinds them up and spits them out as an authoritative view. I feel you are asking for something similar from morality, but I fail to see how 80% of people deciding something is "good" actually makes it "good", contrasted with a pure democracy where it is simply, 80% say do this, so that is what we will do, right or wrong. 80% of certain historical populations thought slavery was "good", but we don't say "it was good back then and now it is bad". It is just "bad", for THEM, back then.

You're going back to democratic theory again. Why shouldn't the will of the majority hold precedence in a society? That's just the nature of democracy. Can you justify the alternative--of the will of a few becoming the law of the land? I can't.

I am not sure how it is possible for you not to be if there is no objective "good". Whose "reason", guided by whose "instinctive" empathy is the "ultimate authority"? The sociopath's, or yours, or mine? You are saying the sociopath needs to follow your authority, or be judged immoral right? But the morals don't exist objectively. I am confused by that. Or if you say the sociopath has his own morality by which he is judged, then aren't you a relativist?

We do the same thing with reason and truth. We don't say there are a set of objective absolute reasons or truths. Yet we DO say there is the human capacity to arrive at the reasonable and the truthful. Same with morality. No absolute truths in this area either. Yet a common sense of what is truly moral given the situation and the person making the decision.

Is eating meat ok or not ok? I personally don't know in modern times if it is moral or immoral, because i am not a relativist. I see a difference between, "ok based on my reason and compassion", and "actually ok". Do you understand my point in that?

How do you decide what is ok then? There must be SOME rationale for why you choose one behavior or another. What else could it be but your own reasoning?

Last edited:
Why not do just a little research yourself? You know, to "learn another pov". You do not seem to know anything about Buddhism beyond what you need to confirm your bias.

:roflmao:

Obviously, it is you who needs to learn something. It would appear that the very link YOU provided was ignored by YOU.

What roles are gods commonly associated with in the various concepts of god? What is the role of god in your own personal concept?

You have argued that the concept of god must be equivalent to religion because it includes some form of accountability. Buddhist gods do not.

Man is the only manifestation of my concept of god, so it is naturalistic.

I think we may have found Syne’s personal concept of god.

Attempts at character assassination only betray your desperation.

Originally, religion was a device used to achieve social cohesiveness in society, bringing unity to different tribes which had to compete against other tribes and predators. Certain religions also had proto-medicinal and proto-political characteristics as well. For instance, Jews were taught to wash their hands, preventing them from getting sick as often as other people, therefore giving them that evolutionary advantage. Having said all that, religion eventually evolved into philosophy and science and is now, therefore, not an advantage but, in some cases, even a disadvantage.

cole grey said:
1 - how can a being that is worshipped be supplanted by non-worship?
2 - Also, that page you linked has this - "Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God. Satan is a symbol of Man living as his prideful, carnal nature dictates. "
i think the philosophical satanist's concept of god is pretty directly in line with other materialists and relativists. They say, "do whatever you want, except follow these rules". I guess "partly relativist" exists, it is right there in satanism apparently.

Worship: to love, admire, or respect somebody or something greatly and perhaps excessively or unquestioningly.

Encarta Dictionary
As you can see from the above definition, veneration or worship is not limited to beings. The veneration of beings or processes is common to religious and non-religious philosophies alike. I’m of the opinion that part of what distinguishes religion from other philosophies is the inclusion of mysticism. Apparently Anton LaVey attributed mystical qualities to his concepts, and to the degree that LaVey Satanists adhere to these concepts, their concepts would be accordingly mystical as well.
http://www.satanicreds.org/satanicreds/lavey-devil.html

Syne said:
You have argued that the concept of god must be equivalent to religion because it includes some form of accountability. Buddhist gods do not.
I’ve argued that an actionable concept of god amounts to religion. The accountability in Buddhism or any other religion is to the entirety of the cosmology. If gods are included in Buddhism they share some part of the accountability.

Man is the only manifestation of my concept of god, so it is naturalistic.
Like this one?
Satanists do not believe in the supernatural, in neither God nor the Devil. To the Satanist, he is his own God. Satan is a symbol of Man living as his prideful, carnal nature dictates. The reality behind Satan is simply the dark evolutionary force of entropy that permeates all of nature and provides the drive for survival and propagation inherent in all living things. Satan is not a conscious entity to be worshiped, rather a reservoir of power inside each human to be tapped at will. Thus any concept of sacrifice is rejected as a Christian aberration—in Satanism there’s no deity to which one can sacrifice.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaVeyan_Satanism#Beliefs

Attempts at character assassination only betray your desperation.
What about an association with La Veyan Satanism would you consider defamatory? Why not flesh out your personal concept of god to avoid objectionable speculation by others.

I’m of the opinion that part of what distinguishes religion from other philosophies is the inclusion of mysticism.

So you would then say that astrology is a religion and must therefore include some "actionable concept of god" and accountability?

Also:
Mysticism may be dualistic, maintaining a distinction between the self and the divine, or may be nondualistic. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism

If there is no distinction between the self and the divine, where is the "actionable concept of god" and accountability (other than the individual)?

I’ve argued that an actionable concept of god amounts to religion. The accountability in Buddhism or any other religion is to the entirety of the cosmology. If gods are included in Buddhism they share some part of the accountability.

Then show me what you consider "actionable" about the concept of god in Buddhism. Entire cosmology?

Religious cosmology (or mythological cosmology) is a body of beliefs based on the historical, mythological, religious, and esoteric literature and traditions of creation and eschatology. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmology

Where do you find any belief of a creator deity in Buddhism?

Gautama Buddha rejected the existence of a creator deity, refused to endorse many views on creation and stated that questions on the origin of the world are not ultimately useful for ending suffering. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism

Why not flesh out your personal concept of god to avoid objectionable speculation by others.

Why not stick to sorting out your conflation of terms before attempting to change the subject? You know, since your whole argument seems to hinge on it.

As you can see from the above definition, veneration or worship is not limited to beings.
that is a 101 class in christian circles, where there is discussion of how worship of the self, or of some sinful activity, supplants the worship of god, but it is basically a word substitution in that usage. Calling something that is not honoring to the self or calling making a bad choice 'worship' is more of an analogy, and it is actually more sensibly an "as if'" statement. If you want to make an "as if" statement regarding worship in buddhism, that is ok, but lets not pretend here that the common usage of the word is being followed. We don't call people "your worship", anymore, although they are venerated and honored to the maximum, because we don't "worship" them. Of course there are religions that don't include actual worship, satanism being one, scientology another, religious humanism another. This is in response to your claim that the roles of gods have been supplanted by other things. I am saying that the roles of gods are one thing, and the roles of processes done by adherents another, and the roles of teachers or bodhisattvas another, so they shouldn't be mixed up.
I’m of the opinion that part of what distinguishes religion from other philosophies is the inclusion of mysticism. Apparently Anton LaVey attributed mystical qualities to his concepts, and to the degree that LaVey Satanists adhere to these concepts, their concepts would be accordingly mystical as well.
unfortunately for what seems to be your claim, only one type of religion needs to be found which is not mystical to make it inaccurate, and philosophical satanism is one. Obviously if the current leader can say they don't believe in the supernatural, then there is a religious group that is not mystical, even if it is just his particular church or whatever, and not the whole church. But there are a few examples i have listed. If you are just saying some of these people are mystical, therefore the religion is mystical, that is a classic logic mistake, so i doubt you would. Or maybe you would call freud mystical, due to his belief in the three parts of the human psyche, and call a bunch of other people mystical too, who are not commonly called "mystical". I am not saying one couldn't, just that we don't.

I'm asking you to introspect with me our own sense of what is moral so we CAN determine the sources of it for our human species. You ARE an evolved human I assume. Who better to tell us what the experience of morality includes or excludes than us eh?
it is ALWAYS us. Everything is mediated through us and by us, consciously or unconsciously. That is just a fully developed view of cognition, unlike views where people think they will prove things and then do them. Those people have a pretty limited knowledge, or they constrict it artificially in order to feel as if they have only one choice of how to think. Decisions are not made for us. As Camus said, you can always choose, even the prisoner, even if it is only to dissent (well, that is basically what he said).
I still don't believe you act morally out of a sense of obligation to some authority.
like I said before, my processes are not in question, that is just anecdotal. I honestly think my ideology is slightly aberrant from the norm, in that I expect to choose in many aspects of life, not be convinced one way is the only way to think.
I mean we DO act this way with the law. We drive the speed limit and return library books on time because we are obeying rules set up by higher authorities. But that's not moral behavior. It's just being obedient, which is something totally different.
we can disobey, so there is always a moral factor. This disobedience, which is the central theme of the first part of the bible, is the thing you don't seem to be taking into account in your protestations.
I think a sociopath can reason his way to morality even without empathy. He may still afterall have a value for the common good--for the welfare of the group over the individual.
the sociopath by definition does not value the welfare of the group over themselves.
That doesn't necessarily require empathy. And given this inherent rationality of certain moral actions, it is certainly possible to choose them without having been told to by some higher authority.
and then there is the irrationality of certain moral actions. And THEN there is the rationality of both sides of a moral point, such as eating meat.
The problem we are having here is that we are talking about two or three things at once.
1 command (which we should drop from the discussion) although hopefully you get my first few paragraphs in this post, along with
2- biology - we can agree that humans act a certain way, partially due to biology, and partially consciously acting in a way which seems to be against biological drives. Having morality without taking into account that we are humans and have biological processes would be silly, so stop thinking I am doing that. I am just emphasizing those things that only humans do, because talking about animal morality is problematic, and once we start talking about the things we share with animals, we are getting away from morality, since animal morality would generally be considered anthropomorphism.
3 - relativism
It always strikes me that the same Jesus who said "love thine enemies" also believed and preached his soon return to earth with his angels to reek vengence upon all those who refused to worship him. Something a little hypocritical there to me.
this is a huge problem for the fundamentalists. Some famous theologian said, (can't remember who right now), paraphrase - I wouldn't say i am a universalist, but the alternative is too terrible to be true. I personally won't worship a god who tosses out most of humanity eternally, it just doesn't make sense - sounds more like a Kabbalah version of Jehovah I.e. a lower being. I would obey that god out of fear, if I possibly could, but couldn't worship it.

Just because an instinct can be resisted doesn't mean it still isn't an instinct. In a pack of wolves, one member may resist his pack instinct to cooperate with others and instead hunt and eat all for himself. Lone wolves they call them. Or I may fast for awhile in an attempt to lose weight, thus denying my instinct for eating for awhile. Instincts can be resisted and overridden by opposing instincts and in humans by reason. Happens all the time.
use the word how you like I guess it is the common usage. I was hoping for more precision so as to be able to separate an animal's amoral survival instinct from our survival instincts which you call moral.

So when people are motivated by their herd instinct, to do good for the community, or by their empathic instinct, to help someone in need, it isn't really moral behavior?
if humans have an instinct to help each other, and the world becomes overpopulated and there are 200 billion people here or whatever, would having a war to end the overpopulation be morally "good", or would helping each other be good, although it means the end of humanity?
That's quite a reversal of your thesis. Weren't you saying earlier that we derive our morality from philosophers and thinkers?
Not a reversal at all. I never said that is the sole way to become more moral. A lot of times people become moral just by learning what it feels like to be hurt by someone else. They grow in understanding beyond a limited primate survival instinct, and use this understanding to BECOME moral.
That we learn it from higher men like Jesus and Socrates who can reason it out for us and show it to be necessary? And if morality isn't rational, what is the point in heeding it?
My point was simply that both the immoral and moral can be rationalized, so reason is not in itself moral, but is rather a tool of cognition - of course humans use reason to reason, there isn't another way to put ideas into words, but since reasonable people can be immoral, I feel there must be more to it. Since animals can help each other amorally, I think there must be more to it.
Because morality can be reasoned out. Even a sociopath recognizes the benefits of cooperating with a group and seeking the group's advantage over his own.
they see their own collectivism as unreasonable.
We all want to live in an orderly society afterall. Moral behavior enables this to happen. We aren't thrown into a herd of bickering and fighting malcontents all trying to do whatever they want all the time. Nobody wants that, not even a sociopath.
actually the sociopath would see everyone else helping each other as desirable, and their taking advantage of that as desirable. I feel you are not helping with this incorrect projection of sociopath behavior.
You're going back to democratic theory again. Why shouldn't the will of the majority hold precedence in a society? That's just the nature of democracy. Can you justify the alternative--of the will of a few becoming the law of the land? I can't.
My point about democracy was that it makes sense, even as pure democracy (which is not my favorite version, along with the founding fathers), because it is a way to get things DONE, whereas moral relativism is a way to judge truth. Two different things. Relativistic behavior may just be a way for large societies to exist, that doesn't make the large society more moral than the hermit out in the desert who is still just as human. This relates to my point about talking about morality, versus my morality, or our morality. Is there a morality that applies to that guy and me as well? Maybe not. He doesn't have anyone to kill steal hurt. Is his lack of cooperation with society at large immoral? I don't think it is. Why is mine immoral, if I help nobody the way he helps nobody?
We do the same thing with reason and truth. We don't say there are a set of objective absolute reasons or truths.
Many of us do. Everyone who isn't a relativist has to in some way say that. If you just say the group decides, it is just a collective relativism.
Yet we DO say there is the human capacity to arrive at the reasonable and the truthful.
Same with morality. No absolute truths in this area either. Yet a common sense of what is truly moral given the situation and the person making the decision.
I just want to know in what way you disagree with the idea that people agree on what is moral and after some percentage of people agree that thing IS moral?
How do you decide what is ok then? There must be SOME rationale for why you choose one behavior or another. What else could it be but your own reasoning?
my point is that I can decide what is right, without imagining that it becomes right by me saying so.

Sorry to hog but this study was inspired by other well-known experiments wherein people seeing even a picture of eyes, or knowing they are being watched, has a correlation to behavior. http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/daniel.nettle/ernestjonesnettlebateson.pdf
Although this other stuff is interesting, I felt this link relates more directly to the original poster's idea. Possibly could be considered scientific support for the op. Basically a concept of god being analogous to the eyes. Or just more fodder for more splintering on what "real morality" is. A person not being watched acting slightly less morally, considered to be as moral as the person being watched who acts more morally?

P.s. A less drawn out mention of the idea.
http://www.futurepundit.com/archives/003549.html

Syne said:
So you would then say that astrology is a religion and must therefore include some "actionable concept of god" and accountability?
Acting on a belief that beings or planets mystically wield defined powers that influence your existence sounds like the practice of religion to me.

If there is no distinction between the self and the divine, where is the "actionable concept of god" and accountability (other than the individual)?
Do you see yourself as god in your concept of god?

It doesn’t matter how you wish to define the operative, whether it be gods, the planets, or yourself, acting on the assumption that any are conduits for mystical action is a religious concept.

Then show me what you consider "actionable" about the concept of god in Buddhism. Entire cosmology?
Religious cosmology (or mythological cosmology) is a body of beliefs based on the historical, mythological, religious, and esoteric literature and traditions of creation and eschatology. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmology

Where do you find any belief of a creator deity in Buddhism?
Creation or deities aren't a requirement for a description of a mystical cosmology.

Reading further into the Wiki article should’ve set you straight.
In Buddhism, the universe comes into existence dependent upon the actions (karma) of its inhabitants. Buddhists posit neither an ultimate beginning or final end to the universe, but see the universe as something in flux, passing in and out of existence, parallel to an infinite number of other universes doing the same thing.

The Buddhist universe consists of a large number of worlds which correspond to different mental states, including passive states of trance, passionless states of purity, and lower states of desire, anger, and fear. The beings in these worlds are all coming into existence or being born, and passing out of existence into other states, or dying. A world comes into existence when the first being in it is born, and ceases to exist, as such, when the last being in it dies. The universe of these worlds also is born and dies, with the death of the last being preceding a universal conflagration that destroys the physical structure of the worlds; then, after an interval, beings begin to be born again and the universe is once again built up. Other universes, however, also exist, and there are higher planes of existence which are never destroyed, though beings that live in them also come into and pass out of existence.

As well as a model of universal origins and destruction, Buddhist cosmology also functions as a model of the mind, with its thoughts coming into existence based on preceding thoughts, and being transformed into other thoughts and other states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_cosmology#Buddhism

Capracus said:
Why not flesh out your personal concept of god to avoid objectionable speculation by others.
syne said:
Why not stick to sorting out your conflation of terms before attempting to change the subject? You know, since your whole argument seems to hinge on it.
Change the subject? In case you’ve forgotten, the subject is the greased pig of a concept you brought up, whose descriptions by you amount to obstructive urethral dribble. I figured since you’re having such difficulty explaining the concept in general terms, your personal version might be more instructive. Just lay it out so we can sort out a working model.

cole grey said:
Of course there are religions that don't include actual worship, satanism being one, scientology another, religious humanism another. This is in response to your claim that the roles of gods have been supplanted by other things. I am saying that the roles of gods are one thing, and the roles of processes done by adherents another, and the roles of teachers or bodhisattvas another, so they shouldn't be mixed up.
Worship is essentially an expression of profound respect for something. It could be extended equally to the characters of a religion or its tenets.

My definition of a process of religion is any functioning element of the religion. You can make further distinction between the divine and the ordinary, or the mystic and the real. As for the divine or mystic processes, gods and tenets both fit the bill.

Unfortunately for what seems to be your claim, only one type of religion needs to be found which is not mystical to make it inaccurate, and philosophical satanism is one. Obviously if the current leader can say they don't believe in the supernatural, then there is a religious group that is not mystical, even if it is just his particular church or whatever, and not the whole church. But there are a few examples i have listed. If you are just saying some of these people are mystical, therefore the religion is mystical, that is a classic logic mistake, so i doubt you would. Or maybe you would call freud mystical, due to his belief in the three parts of the human psyche, and call a bunch of other people mystical too, who are not commonly called "mystical". I am not saying one couldn't, just that we don't.
When a religion looses its doctrinal mysticism, it ceases to be religion. If a current crop Satanists fit that description, then their belief is no longer religious fact, but philosophical theory and open to objective assessment. Sigmund Freud’s concepts of psychology are represented as scientific theory, open to modification, refinement and denial, religious doctrine isn’t granted that option.

Creation or deities aren't a requirement for a description of a mystical cosmology.

Reading further into the Wiki article should’ve set you straight.

Traditional Buddhism is "mystical"?

Perhaps to someone who believes to have it all figured out, and who is unshakably sure that their version of how the world comes to be, is and ends, is the only one, and is thus, the truth.

The evidence for Buddhism is just as lacking as for any other supernatural construct. Mystical, supernatural, pick a term of your choice.

Why is this thread discussing Buddhism? What relevance does Buddhism have to the topic of the thread?

Traditional Buddhism is "mystical"?

The word 'mystical' needs to be defined. We might define it as something like 'an intuitive, contemplative approach to ultimate reality', where these experiences are seen as distinct from and somehow beyond ordinary experience and reason, but not necessarily incompatible with them. With regards to Buddhism, I'd suggest that samatha's jhanas might arguably satisfy that definition. Insight meditation might even be a better example, in its different way. It's certainly a contemplative way of knowing, 'beyond' ordinary everyday knowing, that's said to able to reveal the way things really are. Mahayana and Tantra suggest all kinds of additional examples, such as Zen sitting. I'm not sure that I would describe Buddhism as essentially mystical, but there's definitely a contemplative, intuitive aspect to it, especially in the forms of Buddhism that emphasize meditation.

Far more so than in Christianity, where contemplative traditions exist but seem to be kind of tangential. (Eastern Orthodox monasticism might be an exception.) Western Christianity, especially the Protestants, seem to have intentionally tried to dismiss the contemplative and inner-transformative aspects of their faith.

Why is this thread discussing Buddhism? What relevance does Buddhism have to the topic of the thread?

From the OP:
Now I am open to any alternate suggestions of means to cultivating conscience. There may well be others, and I would be very interested if anyone can describe some.

And then Buddhism was mentioned -
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...ncept-of-God&p=3121391&viewfull=1#post3121391

And then:
By their very nature, all religions, Buddhism included, embody a mystical prescription for spiritual redemption or final disposition, which is also the operating principle of your concept of god. So tell me again, how do the two essentially differ?

The word 'mystical' needs to be defined. We might define it as something like 'an intuitive, contemplative approach to ultimate reality', where these experiences are seen as distinct from and somehow beyond ordinary experience and reason, but not necessarily incompatible with them. With regards to Buddhism, I'd suggest that samatha's jhanas might arguably satisfy that definition. Insight meditation might even be a better example, in its different way. It's certainly a contemplative way of knowing, 'beyond' ordinary everyday knowing, that's said to able to reveal the way things really are. Mahayana and Tantra suggest all kinds of additional examples, such as Zen sitting. I'm not sure that I would describe Buddhism as essentially mystical, but there's definitely a contemplative, intuitive aspect to it, especially in the forms of Buddhism that emphasize meditation.

Far more so than in Christianity, where contemplative traditions exist but seem to be kind of tangential. (Eastern Orthodox monasticism might be an exception.) Western Christianity, especially the Protestants, seem to have intentionally tried to dismiss the contemplative and inner-transformative aspects of their faith.

Capracus thinks that nirvana, karma and samsara are mystical concepts
http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...ncept-of-God&p=3123690&viewfull=1#post3123690

Can you say more about why you think samsara, karma and nirvana are "mystical"?
Because the derivation of these concepts is consistent with the definition below.
Mysticism is the pursuit of communion with, identity with, or conscious awareness of an ultimate reality, divinity, spiritual truth, or God through direct experience, intuition, instinct or insight.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mysticism
There is no rational expectation for these conditions outside of an imaginary context established through the subjective experience of Buddhist practitioners.

Back