The Relevance of the Concept of God

It is trivially true that if you agree with someone you are necessarily duplicating (aping) their opinion

Not true at all. Aping means you are imitating someone for whatever motives. Agreeing with someone has nothing to do with imitation. You are simply intellectually assenting to the same idea or opinion that they have expressed. There is no attempt or intent here to be like that person at all. Totally different thing. Not that you'll ever admit it though...You're never wrong about anything because nobody really understands you.

It is trivially true that if you agree with someone you are necessarily duplicating (aping) their opinion.

Aping is not agreeing. But if you really just thought I was agreeing with him, what was the purpose of you acting as if I did something disingenuous? You misrepresented Capracus' argument, and I corrected you. What about that don't you understand?

If you disagreed with him you might risk someone thinking you had an argument of your own.

I do have an argument of my own. It just happens to be in agreement with Capracus.

Yes, I have been quoted, many times, on many subjects. So? I specifically meant that you needed to justify "You're attempting to divorce God as a concept being a governing force from religion" when I have not been talking about religion, other than to get people to differentiate simple terms.

And Capracus has already laid it out for you.

There is no dishonesty on my part,

It's either that or idiocy. Which do you prefer?

It's either that or idiocy. Which do you prefer?

It is ignorance on your part, illustrated by the inability to differentiate simple terms, which makes your arguments moot. Any intellectually honest discussion must differentiate terms.

And to take a page from your book:

"I noticed [Yazata] has no answer for [my] post."

And after five day, instead of a couple of hours.

It is ignorance on your part, illustrated by the inability to differentiate simple terms, which makes your arguments moot. Any intellectually honest discussion must differentiate terms.

You're the only one here having any problems with vocabulary.

And to take a page from your book:

"I noticed [Yazata] has no answer for [my] post."

And after five day, instead of a couple of hours.

The key differences are that you haven't said anything worthy of a thoughtful answer, and he's not blatantly ignoring a difficult post while taking on positions he believes to be weaker, which is what you did after he countered your points.

I noticed [Yazata] has no answer for [my] post."

There are other reasons for not responding to your posts besides being dumbstruck by your deftly-executed acumen and flawless logic. Sometimes people just tire of the attitude you are serving, being talked down to like they're somehow mentally inferior for not deciphering your overcomplicated writing style. Others just see further conversation as pointless when the poster shows they are all about ego display and trying not to be wrong instead of exchanging ideas and possibly even learning a new pov. If you were a more insightful person you would have understood this by now.

You're the only one here having any problems with vocabulary.

So god is equivalent to religion, even though some religions do not include a concept of god? There is even a real world example, in Buddhism. But cognitive bias will do that to you.

The key differences are that you haven't said anything worthy of a thoughtful answer, and he's not blatantly ignoring a difficult post while taking on positions he believes to be weaker, which is what you did after he countered your points.

No, the difference is that you could not manage to wait even five minutes before proclaiming victory. http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...ncept-of-God&p=3122771&viewfull=1#post3122771 What an eager cheerleader.

I responded to every post of his in a reasonable amount of time, so you need to show me where I "ignored" anything. Yeah, you imagined it. Again, cognitive bias.

There are other reasons for not responding to your posts besides being dumbstruck by your deftly-executed acumen and flawless logic. Sometimes people just tire of the attitude you are serving, being talked down to like they're somehow mentally inferior for not deciphering your obtuse writing style. Others just see further conversation as pointless when the poster shows they are all about ego display and trying not to be wrong instead of exchanging ideas and possibly even learning a new pov. If you were a more insightful person you would have understood this by now.

Yeah, you missed the point. I was rubbing Balerion's nose in it.

Whatever helps you sleep at night. I have yet to see you "learn a new pov".

So god is equivalent to religion, even though some religions do not include a concept of god? There is even a real world example, in Buddhism. But cognitive bias will do that to you.

images

04-amitayus.jpg

So god is equivalent to religion, even though some religions do not include a concept of god?

The application of God is equivalent to religion, yes. How else does it serve the purpose you claim it does without religion? Could you explain that?

No, the difference is that you could not manage to wait even five minutes before proclaiming victory. http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...ncept-of-God&p=3122771&viewfull=1#post3122771 What an eager cheerleader.

I responded to every post of his in a reasonable amount of time, so you need to show me where I "ignored" anything. Yeah, you imagined it. Again, cognitive bias.

You were ducking him until I called you out on it. It's good to know you at least have some shame. Not much, apparently, but enough to succumb to peer pressure.

The application of God is equivalent to religion, yes. How else does it serve the purpose you claim it does without religion? Could you explain that?

Already have, repeatedly.

You were ducking him until I called you out on it. It's good to know you at least have some shame. Not much, apparently, but enough to succumb to peer pressure.

Really?! For all of four minutes?! I do have other things to do, like eat, that take significantly longer than four minutes.

Man, do you live online?

Buddhists accept the existence of beings in higher realms (see Buddhist cosmology), known as devas, but they, like humans, are said to be suffering in samsara,[18] and are not necessarily wiser than us. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism

From the link...

"Other common gods referred to in the Canon

Many of the other gods in the Pali Canon find a common mythological role in Hindu literature. Some common gods and goddesses are...

The world of gods according to the Buddha presents a being with too many pleasures and distractions."

Already have, repeatedly.

Feel free to provide a link, because I see no instances of it.

Really?! For all of four minutes?! I do have other things to do, like eat, that take significantly longer than four minutes.

Man, do you live online?

I see why you're confused. I was referring to this post. You know, the one you ducked, managing to post five or six times afterwards while ignoring.

And? There are many variations of Buddhism.

Last edited:
Last edited:

While Theravada Buddhists view the Buddha as a human being who attained nirvana or Buddhahood, through human efforts,[14] some Mahayana Buddhists consider him an embodiment of the cosmic Dharmakaya, born for the benefit of others.[15] In addition, some Mahayana Buddhists worship their chief Bodhisattva, Avalokiteshvara,[16] and hope to embody him. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_in_Buddhism

There are many varieties of Buddhism.

Back