The population problem

What should we do about the population problem?

• Space colonization of planets/moons

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Improve food production (ie. nanotechnology)

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Sex education and availability of safe sex devices

Votes: 18 21.2%
  • Birth restrictions

Votes: 25 29.4%
  • There is no population problem

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 10.6%

• Total voters
Birth controls would take away freedom in our lives, and therefore isnt good.

The best option to combat the space problem, is to build arcologies, huge futuristic buildings designed to hold thousands and thousands and thousands of people. This will allow for more population, while allowing more space on earth to be provided to natrual life. An additionl benefit of arcologies would be that cars, a major polluter, would be used less often.
However, agriculture would be hurt more, and a new concept of squishing it into a small space would have to be invented first. (Artifitial suns?)

Still, the best solution has always been:

"To expand upwards, not outwards."

RADIANCEbig.jpg

Picture Courtesy of Gary Tonge.

I like the picture. Instead of “arcologies” why not just tax people for having more than 2 kids? Up to two kids are a benefit to society, since when we’re old we’ll need young folk to run things. Three or more kids on average causes runaway population growth. People should have to pay their fair share if they add to that problem. People could have as many kids as they want if they could afford it. The global community would tax nations with high birthrates, until they adopted the 3+ child tax.

That is a great idea, but that would still be a form of birth control. Population growth is not nessesarily a bad thing, in fact I would consider it to be a good thing in all aspects. Earth's civilization as a whole will benefit as a whole from a larger population, and make us stronger. I dont usually believe in ailen life but if there is ailen life I'd bet some of them are a lot more advanced than us.

Population growth is good if it can be controlled properly and used in an efficent way. There can never be too much people living on earth as long as all their needs, especially decent living spane, is met.

Originally posted by jimbo99999
That is a great idea, but that would still be a form of birth control.

So is child support and diaper changing. Can you be specific about why these forms of birth control are bad, if that’s what you think?

Re: Welcome the masses to multiply so more people can enjoy living.

Originally posted by Pronatalist
Yes, we should feed all the people and welcome them to live where they want. Food production, environmentalism, medical care, immigration, and all that, should be towards encouraging major population growth, so that more and more people can enjoy living. Large families should be encouraged worldwide, and people everywhere encouraged to multiply naturally without any means of anti-life "birth control."

I like the idea of colonizing Mars, as humanity should be welcomed to outgrow the earth, but I think it unlikely we will colonize other planets, because I don't see that in the Bible before the Biblical endtimes. Colonizing other worlds doesn't seem practical anytime soon so for the time being, the most practical thing for accomodating all the people, is to welcome human populations to grow denser and denser, and to urbanize the planet to whatever extent needed to welcome and accomodate everybody.
Am I a bad person for wanting pronatalist to die?
I don't see how...

Population growth is good if it can be controlled properly and used in an efficent way. There can never be too much people living on earth as long as all their needs, especially decent living spane, is met.

And the needs of other living things, since nature makes it obvious that human life depends on other living things. But those don’t thrive in skyscrapers or underground, so it seems that population growth has a limit on Earth. And a limit means that a larger population is not necessarily stronger, for if you are 1 person away from the limit then you have a high risk of failure.

Population growth is currently not “controlled properly.” Perhaps it should be slowed until we get a handle on controlling it. Obviously we haven’t reached the limit that spells doom in the short term. I’d guesstimate that the limit that allows humans to thrive long term is about 2 billion. I think 6 billion is unsustainable; the die-off of other living things due directly or indirectly to 6 billion humans spells doom in the long term. New technologies to sustain current levels seem to work only short term.

But there is no definate limit on human population size!

Originally posted by zanket
And the needs of other living things, since nature makes it obvious that human life depends on other living things. But those don’t thrive in skyscrapers or underground, so it seems that population growth has a limit on Earth. And a limit means that a larger population is not necessarily stronger, for if you are 1 person away from the limit then you have a high risk of failure. ...

I would much rather live in skyscrapers or in vast underground cities where children and people are welcome, than for fewer people to be allowed to live, and people's freedom curtailed. We should care more about our fellow humans, even piling people into skyscrapers if ever needed to make more room for people, rather than dissing and despising our, or other people's children.

And isn't that "environmental" extremist view of "carrying capacity" incorrectly applied to humans, getting worn out by now? Isn't the idea getting more popular that there is no definate or knowable limit on human population size, but rather it is perhaps more of a social question of just how dense does society want to be? Or can't we spread out more rather than limit human numbers, or make better use of technology to support large numbers?

Sure, a larger population may not necessarily be "stronger," whatever that means, but rather so many more people benefit from getting to live, that it is well worth the challenge for the population to be larger, if only to benefit "the many" who could not have lived had the population not grown so much.

I think that human population growth does promote a vicious circle, but not the negative one so often imagined, but rather a positive one -- the more populated we get, the better we get at accomodating large populations. Which is all the more reason to be all the more populated.

And isn't it the parents, or better yet, God, who should make the "population" decisions as to what the population should be? Politicians don't seem to care much about the people and know next to nothing about most anything. That's why we have to keep voting them out, and replacing them with people who hopefully won't raise taxes and sell out to corruption and special interests groups. I don't support any arbitrary "cap" on world population size, because, even though liberals overlook the messy side-effects, that leads to logical questions of somebody deciding just which people aren't necessary or important, which is an excercise in racism and folly. I want to live in a world that is children-friendly, family-friendly, and people-friendly. Well I think that also translates to population-growth-friendly. But that's fine. Without population growth, most all of us couldn't have been born anyhow. Anti-life "birth control" should be discourage worldwide, and large families encouraged, because what child wouldn't want to live too? Human populations should be welcome to grow naturally, without restraint. As more and more people would be glad to live. Accomodation is much more practical than population limitation. What's the use of limiting the beneficiaries who could benefit from whatever? Population growth is very much in the interests of "the many."

Some practical accomodations of hypothetical futuristic massive populations?

Birth controls would take away freedom in our lives, and therefore isnt good.

Bingo! I am glad that other people see that too. I don't believe people should use "birth control." I want my children to know they are "wanted," which is yet another reason not to use any method of "birth control," as more children are always welcome in the family, if God allows. I don't believe God wants people to reject the blessings of children by limiting family size.

The best option to combat the space problem, is to build arcologies, huge futuristic buildings designed to hold thousands and thousands and thousands of people. This will allow for more population, while allowing more space on earth to be provided to natrual life. An additionl benefit of arcologies would be that cars, a major polluter, would be used less often.
However, agriculture would be hurt more, and a new concept of squishing it into a small space would have to be invented first. (Artifitial suns?)

I would like to see more creative thinking like that. I would much rather see people living and breeding naturally in huge population towers, than worrying about anti-life "birth control." Big families should be encouraged and welcomed, so that all the more people can be around to enjoy living. But I disagree somewhat with your suggestion about leaving so much land to nature. Space should be used for people, not reserved from people. People should be welcome to live where they want, even almost everywhere imaginable, spreading wildly through the land. Urbanize the planet to whatever extent needed. Population has not 1, but 3 effective "dimensions" it can grow into. First of all, as in the Biblical example of Abraham and Lot's tribes, people should be welcome to spread out. Second, as the world is not getting any bigger, and space colonization isn't practical yet, people should be welcome to live closer together. The additional people being born, can live in between the people already living. Cities can infill underutilized land, and more apartment and condominium complexes can be built with just a wall separating people from their neighbors. More people can live per room. Children don't even really need their own private bedroom anyhow. They can share. And third, of course people can be stacked onto multiple floors, in highrises, skyscrapers, or vertical "cities." Let the people choose where and how they want to live. But accomodating "population pressure" is much kinder than bothering people with anti-life "birth control" dogma. Beside, I don't think there would ever be so many people anyhow. As God didn't give people forever to live on the earth, so ridiculous extrapolations are rather irrelevant to the population concern.

Still, the best solution has always been:

"To expand upwards, not outwards."

RADIANCEbig.jpg

Picture Courtesy of Gary Tonge.

Nice picture.

And who says runaway population growth is a bad thing?

I like the picture. Instead of “arcologies” why not just tax people for having more than 2 kids? Up to two kids are a benefit to society, since when we’re old we’ll need young folk to run things. Three or more kids on average causes runaway population growth. People should have to pay their fair share if they add to that problem. People could have as many kids as they want if they could afford it. The global community would tax nations with high birthrates, until they adopted the 3+ child tax.

But parents have an obligation to care for their children. Now how can they do that if they are burdened by greater taxes for their unselfishness and sacrifice of raising more children? Taxes are way too high, because the government does way too much stuff that isn't even Constitutionally authorized.

"Government governs best which governs least." Thomas Jefferson

One of the best things we can do for future generations, is to have lots of children. How else will future generations get to be born? God commanded people to multiply, which sort of sounds like 3 or more children per family on average to me.

The main restraint on population size, is not really resources, but the number of parents to raise all the children. As the number of parents in the various nations grows, of course they should be welcome to add babies at a faster and faster rate, as there are more parents around to raise so many children and build up the infrastructure. Human populations should be encouraged to burgeon so that all the more people can live. But humans multiply slowly compared to animals, usually having but only 1 baby at a time, so there is plenty of time to adapt and develop more resources and build up the infrastructure, especially with good leadership.

"World population is barely large enough for you and I to have been born." Pronatalist

Population growth is great progress for humanity and should be encouraged and celebrated. All nations should welcome large and growing populations within and without their borders, so that all the more people can enjoy living.

We should care more about our fellow humans, even piling people into skyscrapers if ever needed to make more room for people, rather than dissing and despising our, or other people's children.

You’re assuming that people would want to be born under any conditions. How do you know?

And isn't that "environmental" extremist view of "carrying capacity" incorrectly applied to humans, getting worn out by now?

You’d have to show how the viewpoint is extremist first. You haven’t done that. Meanwhile science and even basic logic shows that the viewpoint is justified.

Isn't the idea getting more popular that there is no definate or knowable limit on human population size, but rather it is perhaps more of a social question of just how dense does society want to be?

I’d say the idea is getting more popular that there is a definite limit. It’s definitely something less than 1 trillion.

Or can't we spread out more rather than limit human numbers, or make better use of technology to support large numbers?

We can spread out if you can show where the spare quadrillion dollars will come from so we can colonize another planet. Or show how an infinite number of people can fit into a finite space.

Sure, a larger population may not necessarily be "stronger," whatever that means, but rather so many more people benefit from getting to live, that it is well worth the challenge for the population to be larger, if only to benefit "the many" who could not have lived had the population not grown so much.

Would you want to be born into a world where you could not move? You assume everyone would. I think you’re in the tiny minority.

I think that human population growth does promote a vicious circle, but not the negative one so often imagined, but rather a positive one -- the more populated we get, the better we get at accomodating large populations.

Not being able to move sounds negative to me.

And isn't it the parents, or better yet, God, who should make the "population" decisions as to what the population should be?

No, the majority of people should make the decision, as they do most decisions that affect all of us. It seems God, if any, has left the decision up to us.

I don't support any arbitrary "cap" on world population size, because, even though liberals overlook the messy side-effects, that leads to logical questions of somebody deciding just which people aren't necessary or important, which is an excercise in racism and folly.

A tax on everyone for having 3+ kids is not racist.

I want to live in a world that is children-friendly, family-friendly, and people-friendly.

Likewise. Laws that ensure kids have enough space to move would seem to be compatible with those goals.

Anti-life "birth control" should be discourage worldwide, and large families encouraged, because what child wouldn't want to live too?

The child who cannot move.

Human populations should be welcome to grow naturally, without restraint.

Naturally, human populations will be restrained. That is, by nature. The law of cause and effect is clear on this. The only choice we have is whether that happens in a controlled manner or in a tragic manner.

Your mention of God in this topic leads me to suspect that you have been brainwashed by religion, which has a huge incentive to promote “unlimited” population growth, however illogical. The goal is to gain more money-donating churchgoers. Nowadays “go forth and multiply” is simply a marketing gimmick.

But parents have an obligation to care for their children. Now how can they do that if they are burdened by greater taxes for their unselfishness and sacrifice of raising more children?

You haven’t shown how they are unselfish by having unlimited children (you assumed all children want to be born under any conditions). By having a reasonable number of children, they are helping to ensure that all children have space to move, and they then won’t be burdened by greater taxes.

"Government governs best which governs least." Thomas Jefferson

Jefferson didn’t mean that literally. The government which governs least is no government. Obviously Jefferson advocated some government, since he was a government’s leader.

One of the best things we can do for future generations, is to have lots of children. How else will future generations get to be born?

Future generations are still born when everyone has 2 or less children.

God commanded people to multiply, which sort of sounds like 3 or more children per family on average to me.

Anyone could have written the Bible. Can you prove God wrote it? The only clear laws are the natural laws.

The main restraint on population size, is not really resources, but the number of parents to raise all the children.

No, the main restraint is resources. You haven’t shown how an unlimited number of humans can exist on limited resources. Even parents are a resource.

Denser and denser world population does not jeapardize "room to move."

We should care more about our fellow humans, even piling people into skyscrapers if ever needed to make more room for people, rather than dissing and despising our, or other people's children.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

You’re assuming that people would want to be born under any conditions. How do you know?

I would want to be regardless, even if the world was greatly "overcrowded." I expect other fellow humans are much like me. People who live in overcrowded shantytowns love their children too, and often use no "birth control." You must first be born and be alive, before you can possibly have any quality of life at all.

You’d have to show how the viewpoint is extremist first. You haven’t done that. Meanwhile science and even basic logic shows that the viewpoint is justified.

Huh? "Science" hasn't said much of anything about world human "carrying capacity" other than that we already have technologies that could support lots more people. The planet doesn't care how populated people get.

I’d say the idea is getting more popular that there is a definite limit. It’s definitely something less than 1 trillion.

So what gloom and doom propagandists are saying that the world could hold nearly a trillion people? I thought they like to rant about how we should somehow magically get rid of the majority of people, and somehow reduce world population to only a billion or two, or a few hundred million for their stupid little social utopias? How do you know the world couldn't hold more than a trillion people? I say whatever "limit" is probably somewhat less than an "infinite" number of people, but extremely large, far larger than the number of people we would ever see within our lifetimes. I see no need to rule out massive skyscrapers and underground cities to house booming human populations, other than such population growth is probably rather unlikely, especially during the forseeable future. It would be far better to welcome the world to grow very densely populated, and welcome massive urban sprawl, than to diss human life, for no good reason. Shouldn't we consider doing that which most benefits the most people? That includes welcoming human populations to expand significantly, since it is so much in the interests of "the many," or fellow humans like us, who couldn't live otherwise.

We can spread out if you can show where the spare quadrillion dollars will come from so we can colonize another planet. Or show how an infinite number of people can fit into a finite space.

With more people comes more money, as more people = more workers building up the infrastructure. I don't consider colonizing other planets practical yet, and the earth is not getting any bigger, so of course we should welcome world population to grow denser and denser, to accomodate all the masses. But then cities only occupy but 2 or 3% of the land. There is ample room for humanity to grow into yet.

Would you want to be born into a world where you could not move? You assume everyone would. I think you’re in the tiny minority.

I want to be born somewhere, regardless how many people are here already. The seemingly most important population concern, would be or should be, that more and more would be glad to live. That is a very worthy consideration to accomodate, if at all possible. There is enough land to build 1000 square feet or 100 square meters of housing space, per person on the ground level, for more than a trillion people. "Standing room only" would be over a quadrillion people, and that's if everybody just stayed on ground level multiplying, and didn't bother to build highrises or skyscrapers to make room for all the more people. Such colorful population scare tactics may be amusing, but they aren't likely. There could be trillions of people on the planet, and people would still have lots of room to move, even if there aren't many places left far away from lots of people.

Of course I would want room to move. But having lots of privacy and seclusion isn't really essential to life or survival. If humans really had much right to "privacy," then why are we all born naked?

Not being able to move sounds negative to me.

And the relevance to this population discussion? Population could be most any size imaginable, and people would still have lots of room to move. And what happened to the idea of stacking people up in population towers, or whatever that guy called them a few posts ago? Why can't buildings be constructed designed to house thousands or millions of people, if we should ever be able to grow so incrediably numerous? Most any gain in human population benefits so many people who could not have lived or experienced life otherwise, that it should be welcomed and encouraged as great progress for humanity. Why don't more people see that human population growth is very much in the interests of "the many?" Wouldn't "the majority," who couldn't be born otherwise, rather favor human populations being large, or unrestricted in size? Who's to say which people aren't important, or aren't worthy of life? Population is what it is.

No, the majority of people should make the decision, as they do most decisions that affect all of us. It seems God, if any, has left the decision up to us.

Most people are parents, who usually have children. The average family size throughout the world, still runs around 3 or 4 children. It takes an average of 3 children, mathmatically, just to get both a son and a daughter, due to the possibility in half of cases, of having 2 boys or 2 girls with the first 2 children. Lots of people want at least 3 children. I would say that most people effectively "vote" for human populations to keep growing. And I hear very little interest in that anti-population idea of "stopping at two" children. I think most people don't mind much at all if world population continues to enlarge, just as long as there are enough resources to handle it all. The pessimistic idea that more mouths to feed, leads to hunger, seems to have lost a lot of crediability in recent times. Now people are more concerned about social matters, and things like pollution. And now that another country (India) has also burgeoned to over a billion people, perhaps the future does portend large population, but obesity is a growing problem throughout the world, even in China. It appears that the world can in fact hold far more people than previously thought, and population growth rates do appear to have become more sluggish than previous predicted. By some estimatation back in the 1970s, weren't we due to have around 8 billion people by the turn of the century? Seems we are running behind as population isn't so "out of control" after all? But the idea of population "control" isn't compatible with freedom anyhow.

I don't believe in using any form of "birth control," as it better says to my children that they are "wanted," if no "birth control" is used, as more children are always welcome into the family if God allows.

A tax on everyone for having 3+ kids is not racist.

Huh? You don't really think it would ever be applied uniformly, on some "equal opportunity discrimination" basis, do you? Parents of large families should be congratulated or rewarded for doing so much work to raise the next generation, and welcoming all the more human beings to live. Taxes are too high, and large families often the inevitable and natural outlet for powerful reproductive urges. It's not bad for people to welcome their families to grow large, but very good, as more and more people would be very glad to live. "Runaway" population growth should be encouraged and welcomed, because we should be grateful to God for the great and precious gift of life, and welcome all the more people to come to life. Most everybody likes living, and large families often provide a rich environment, which may even better condition children for living in a populous world. Often people who grow up in large families, have a very positive experience and welcome it again for their children. And younger children can share beds so that more people can live, even in a large family that doesn't have a large home. Young children often are afraid of being alone anyways, and do better sharing a bedroom.

Likewise. Laws that ensure kids have enough space to move would seem to be compatible with those goals.

Whatever are you talking about now? What about laws protecting the right to live? Laws protecting innocent babies from abortion? Laws set restrictions on people? What do you want? A "law" protecting the freedom of the people to build more housing for their growing families? If the population grows bigger, we just build more homes, schools, and whatever the children need. Duh? And that is much easier to do with freedom and minimal taxes and regulations. Any child will find far more space in the world, than they had in the cramped womb.

The child who cannot move.

Children are not plants anchored by roots. Most anybody can move. So did you just admit here that most all children would very much want to live, by suggesting that probably only children in a population so crammed with people that nobody can move, wouldn't want to live?

Naturally, human populations will be restrained. That is, by nature. The law of cause and effect is clear on this. The only choice we have is whether that happens in a controlled manner or in a tragic manner.

Oh I know all about how the gloom and doom Malthusians love to beat that dead horse. But world population is now some 6 times as large as in Malthus's day, and people are living longer, and gaining wealth. In spite of, or perhaps because of, population growth. How much evidence do we need, to admit that Malthus was probably WRONG. Malthus claimed that somebody must die to make room for each new birth. I am really glad few people heeded his backward advice. It isn't really necessary to ask parents to wait for somebody to die before hoping they are still fertile enough to have children. There is another, far better alternative that Malthus was too unwilling to consider. Human populations could instead grow denser and denser, and we could put all the additional people in between all the people already living. We have adapted and adapted nature to our population growth, far better than the pessimists have predicted. According to the self-appoint population "experts" we should have all starved by now. Well it seems we are all alive, and those who worry most about supposed "overpopulation" have the comforts of writing their irrational population propaganda essays from air conditioned ivory towers with computer and such, and full bellies.

Your mention of God in this topic leads me to suspect that you have been brainwashed by religion, which has a huge incentive to promote “unlimited” population growth, however illogical. The goal is to gain more money-donating churchgoers. Nowadays “go forth and multiply” is simply a marketing gimmick.

Oh, so here we go with that nonsense that population growth made more sense in the days of Adam and Eve (Gen 1:28), or in the days of Noah (Gen 9:1), when there was a whole planet for small populations to grow into. But now that world population is growing so large, there is no longer much use for large families? Not so. The reason to multiply is hardly just to prevent an "empty" planet, but for human benefit so that more people could experience life. Thus, large families are just as relevant and practical in today's world of burgeoning billions.

And you write off "go forth and multipy" as some "marketing gimmick" of the Church? Perhaps to fill more pews? How can you be so shallow as to write off the many advantages of population growth so carelessly? Most everybody wants to have children. Why can't that be a good reason to welcome population growth? And what business wouldn't like to gain more customers, without having to advertise. If I was a diaper manufacturer, or a baby product or toy manufacturer, or manufactured most anything at all, why wouldn't I be delighted if my customers were undergoing a big baby boom, to insure more customers for my products, more room in the market for competitors to share the market, an expanding marketshare due simply to surging population growth, and room to expand production facilitaries and pay my workers better, so that they can take care of their own growing families? It seems to me that "go forth and multiply" makes sense even from an economics viewpoint. It is hardly some "gimmick." In fact, I claim that population growth accelerates technology growth, so that as human populations expand, they also tend to improve many "quality of life" issues, and history has much verified that idea so far. Many of the inventions we too often take for granted, would not likely have been invented, or could not be mass produced cost-effectively, without massive markets. Things such as computer chips, cannot be made at a reasonable price, in small quantities.

And why do you overlook the idea, that future generations may actually want to be more populous, so that all the more people could then live? All those children may not fill the pews anyways, as they move to other communities or go to other Churches. Can't the population be larger, just for the people's own sakes, who couldn't have lived otherwise? I would say the real incentive for "unlimited" population growth, isn't really what it does for other people, but what it does for all the people welcomed to come to life. More and more people would be glad to live, and that is a very worthy concern in its own right. Many people don't believe in human population "control," as it is too messing trying to decide which people are important, and which aren't, and they don't want to infringe in any way on the rights of parents to have children. Denying the right to procreate is but one small step from denying the right to life. I also see that large families are quite practical, as many people are good at nurturing children, and shouldn't the parents with the most experience and love for children, have the most? Well that implies no practical limit on family size, other than how ever many children God allows people to have. What if many people simply don't want to bother with awkward "birth control" and don't fear pregnancy and want children?

And what of the old maxim, "Grow or die?"

Bentheman, you think there are nuts here now? Take a look at this golden oldy. Pronatalist is one of the classic SciForums nutcases. But he doesn't come close to Happeh.

It is a terrible thing for all us old appocolyptist but hope is springinging up everywhere. The abject poverty of third world nations is being treated by the greedy capitalist thru outsourcing creating its own smaller and easier addressed problems. The terrorist have been forced into a pitched battle and they will eventually be defeated as their most fervent die hard follower are decimated by the American military machine. the ceo of the multinational company will find himself in the position of the catholic church under henry the eighth looted fo government profit withthe acclaim of th people we are on the rising side of the cycle and life is looking pretty good.

Repo Man:

Come on man. What is the DEAL with that? You aren't a newbie. You shoudl know better than to Thread Necromance like that!

Jesus!

Let children come naturally, as they come. Children are a blessing from God!

One child for each parent.

No, what God ordained is one child per family, at a time, except of course, for the obvious exceptions of twins or triplets. And then more children, often come after that. Come on, it takes at least 2.1 children average per family, just to maintain the population, or around a billion births per decade.

What if you were the 4th or 10th born? Would you still say but 1 child per parent? And naysay your own siblings? I am from a family of 4 children. :D

I can't believe the big % of voting for space colonization (like it was a real option) or the no problem crowd.

That means about 1/3 of Forum members are CLULESS!!!!

Back