The Passion of the Christ

Note from Moderator:

I've just spent quite a bit of time editing this thread and deleting a number of posts.

I would urge posters to read the forum rules regarding personal attacks, off-topic posts and plagiarism.

This thread is about the Mel Gibson film The Passion of the Christ. Whilst every conversation drifts off-topic to some extent, there is no excuse at all for turning this thread into yet another discussion of Islam. Nor is there any warrant for hurling insults at one another. And nobody is interested in cut-and-pasted articles from other sites. Long cut-and-pastes, especially those passed off as one's own writing without attribution, will be immediately deleted.

In short, people, if you want your posts to remain in this forum for more than about a day, you'll need to abide by the site rules and the forum rules. Otherwise, all your efforts might well be for nothing. Review this thread if you need examples.

Vienna said:
Eng Grez said:
Now this is quotage.
Yes. ;)

Bells said:
Ah so that explains it. You're part of a boy band?

Ha ha ha ha ....That is the funniest reply I've read on sciforums. Brilliant answer. :D

HumbleChristian said:
Then there is no longer a need for this debate to continue

So why are you still here?

The post reads...

HumbleChristian said:
Eng Grez said:
oh sorry. were you expecting something to read those giant posts word for word? i believe many skimmed it or went past it(like me).

Then there is no longer a need for this debate to continue if no one is reading ALL of the information... just as I've done.).

Is your name Eng Grez? My post are directed specifically to the person quoted... not to everyone who reads this thread. The discussion has ended concerning me addressing any more of HIS questions.

Last edited:
Bells said:
Ah so that explains it. You're part of a boy band?

And humble, no offence meant here but you're sounding like a pretentious prat who claims to know all. You know nothing, you only know what you've been told. You claim to have been witness to God's work and influence? All we're witnessing from you is that if you believe God created you, then God failed to give you humility and intelligence.

Show me ANYWHERE that I claim to know all... if someone ask a question that I know the answer to... then I provide them with the answer.

I know nothing? I only know what I've been told?

Bell... what's 1+1? Two?... Who TOLD YOU that?

Just the same way you've studied various subjects in school... I've intensely studied different religions for the past 18 years.

Where is your EVIDENCE of my lack of humility and intelligence?

I don't know what the RC abbreviation stands for, but why do you assume that nobody knows what was up with the Christians before 300 AD?
The RC[C] stands for the Roman Catholic Church. Your view is odd because mainstream protestant beliefs did not exist until Martin Luther. Even the 66 books of the Protestant canon was culled from the books in the Catholic canon.

Nevertheless, the books that Martin Luther rejected were mainly interesting in only a historical perspective. But this raises the question of whether it is right for Mel Gibson to add traditional Catholic beliefs to the film that are not in the bible? Is it right for him to show Christ falling down three times as found in Catholic tradition?

okinrus said:
The RC[C] stands for the Roman Catholic Church. Your view is odd because mainstream protestant beliefs did not exist until Martin Luther. Even the 66 books of the Protestant canon was culled from the books in the Catholic canon.

Nevertheless, the books that Martin Luther rejected were mainly interesting in only a historical perspective. But this raises the question of whether it is right for Mel Gibson to add traditional Catholic beliefs to the film that are not in the bible? Is it right for him to show Christ falling down three times as found in Catholic tradition?

What view exactly... (all those previous attacks from every direction can get you turned around a bit).

Didn't the movie show Him fall down like 8 times or something? I could have sworn it was more than 3 times, but I could be wrong (I was emotionally tramatized), so don't pay me any mind. lol

Last edited:
Didn't the movie show Him fall down like 8 times or something? I could have sworn it was more than 3 times, but I could be wrong (I was emotionally tramatized), so don't pay me any mind. lol
I haven't seen it. I was fairly certain that Mel would show Jesus fall, but I wasn't too certian how many times.

What view exactly... (all those previous attacks from every direction can get you turned around a bit)
I don't believe that there were too many Christians who believed in sola-fide, sola-scriptura, etc. at the time of Christ; certainly there does not seem to be any recorded. Most Protestants will believe in an inclusive Church that includes other Protestant denominations. This is really the only way they can justify their denomination not existing at time of the apostles.

I've just seen the movie. I haven't read the previous 8 pages of posts but I want to give my opinion.
What is the point of this movie? To entertain, enlighten, etc? Jesus died a brutal death. so what? So have millions of others before and after him. Is Christianity really about a man being tortured. Again, what is the point of seeing a man's flesh being torn, thorn's being driven into his skull, and nails driven into his hands & feet? Fine. Jesus physically suffered for us all. What else did he teach us? I would have liked to see more of his stories rather than a single day of torture & death. This movie also doesn't offer much entertainment value. I don't know (and frankly don't care) who the hell was responsible for Jesus's death but the film should have offered a less polorized view of good & evil (if the intent was to entertain). The bad guys were pure hollywood.

What is the point of this movie? To entertain, enlighten, etc? Jesus died a brutal death. so what? ... Jesus physically suffered for us all. What else did he teach us?
I believe that was the intent of the film - to make you ask those questions and find out.

Back