The irrelevance of God

if anyone has evidence that a dog is "kind", rather than just exhibiting instinctual pack behavior, please provide it, so we can all have the same definition of "evidence". I choose to believe my dog is kind, and choose to believe my mother "loves" me, and choose my religious beliefs in exactly the same way, interpretation of non-verifiable data.

In other words because your religious beliefs are entirely subjective and without objective verifiable evidence, they must be true? What a strange criteria for truth. What other beliefs might one justify based on entirely subjective feelings? Just about anything actually.

no, you accept the dog although it may just be the tv. Non-verified "reality". You wouldn't blame someone for hearing the tv and believing their friend had a dog, if that is what they were told. Perhaps religion is the tv and not a dog, but i certainly don't know that. If anyone has evidence, that can be verified, that a dog is "kind", and that "all" can agree upon, i would say your point would be made. But it isn't. Philosophy is not a physical science, and is taught in the humanities section of a university, along with religion. I am not sure just how many times that has to be said .

I see your points, but you and I can agree on what a dog actually is. If you and I are walking down the street side by side and see a dog run by, we will both agree that we saw a dog run by.

The idea of a god/gods existing, is just that. An idea. Otherwise, there would be some tangible proof other than opinions, holy books, hearsay, and stories passed down from generation to generation.

Religion and philosophy are close cousins, indeed. Because the two are based off ideas. Nothing wrong with people developing or even creating a concept of God in their minds, but don't call that reality.

I take issue with people changing definitions to suit what they wish others to believe.

There is only one definition for reality and that is how things REALLY ARE and as they really exist.
Beliefs and concepts, unless based in some type of reality, are just beliefs and concepts. Religions have been built off concepts and beliefs with no proof based in reality.

"Truth in numbers" as they say. It must be true if generations of people say it is. No, it just means many people are not willing to admit that they have changed the meaning of reality and truth to suit their own beliefs.

In other words because your religious beliefs are entirely subjective and without objective verifiable evidence, they must be true? What a strange criteria for truth. What other beliefs might one justify based on entirely subjective feelings? Just about anything actually.
They must be true, because the dog must be kind, is the opposite of what I said. I was Just making a correlation. I think subjectivity has its place, and objectivity has its place, and depending on who you are talking to, the person may be misapplying standards in the wrong fields. Religious and secular fundamentalist thinkers do this without considering the difference, or acknowledging it.

I was raised in a Christian home (Catholic) and over the years, developed my own "sense" of spirituality independent of religion. Over the past few years, I abandoned Christianity and my own sense of spirituality, and now hold an agnostic view. I don't consider myself an atheist, but I will say that without evidence to support the idea of a god existing, I can't say either way if he does or does not.

I share this because I never viewed my faith life as based in reality. I viewed it as my own set of beliefs, even if I was part of a religion, I didn't believe it could be "classified" as reality.

Faith if expressed correctly, can be a powerful motivator for many people. But, faith is not based on reality. If it were, one wouldn't "need" faith. So, I don't begrudge anyone's desire to seek God, or pursue a faith, or find comfort and peace in religion. But, it is inappropriate to define faith and a belief in God as reality.

That's all I'm saying. This is why atheists get upset because reality has only one definition. To stretch the definition to mean something it isn't, actually cheapens the value of faith and the truth of reality.

Where does one draw a line then when it comes to what we consider to be part of "reality?"

I don't like slippery slopes. :eek: lol

I would agree with what Wegs is saying except for the hypocrisy that this would usually entail. For example if you define God for yourself and don't consider it "reality" but continue to go to church for its "spiritual" value you are asked (formally or informally) to profess the church's beliefs when in fact you don't believe them.

You believe that God isn't reality but they do believe that. You don't go into church and announce that you don't believe God is reality or they would throw you out. You stay because you feel you are getting something worthwhile out of the experience. That requires hypocrisy which can't be good for your "soul" either. Therein lies the conflict.

Last edited:
I would agree with what Wegs is saying except for the hypocrisy that this would usually entail. For example if you define God for yourself and don't consider it "reality" but continue to go to church for its "spiritual" value you are asked (formally or informally) to profess the church's beliefs when in fact you don't believe them.

You belief that God isn't reality but they do believe that. You don't go into church and announce that you don't believe God is reality or they would throw you out. You stay because you feel you are getting something worthwhile out of the experience. That requires hypocrisy which can't be good for your "soul" either. Therein lies the conflict.

Some people might just go through the motions as to blend in and some might truly believe that their faith equates to reality. If we stretch the definition of reality to cover spirituality ...then there's no hypocrisy. Reality is whatever we say it is, at that point. :)

Where does one draw a line then when it comes to what we consider to be part of "reality?"

Hi wegs,
An answer comes immediately to mind to your question. Part of reality is each individual's little piece of it. Each person is different. Each person has values, beliefs, wants, needs, dislikes, etc... This is all part of reality. If you discount the individual's values/beliefs/wants/needs/likes/dislikes/etc., then you're treating them like a peace of meat, like an automoton. People don't like to be treated like a peace of meat or an automoton. They don't like it and they will fight you for their little piece of reality. Say what you like about politicians and advertisers, but they understand that each human being contributes his/her part to reality.

I don't have to believe it. I don't have to believe I can see or hear either, because "I just can".
Nonetheless, of course I believe I can see and hear (uneccesarily, or redundantly it seems), I have incontrovertible evidence. I can even prove it, since if I couldn't see, how could I read what you posted or what I'm typing on a keyboard?

You say I don't have evidence I can see God, but have absolutely no way of knowing if you're right. I think that, given the content of this discussion so far, the evidence is that you might believe you can see, but you don't see.

No, you don't incontrovertible evidence, if you did, we would all agree with you because we too would have that evidence. You have only a belief and nothing more.

(Q) said:
No, you don't incontrovertible evidence, if you did, we would all agree with you because we too would have that evidence.
That's only because what you have instead of evidence is an idea. You also believe in this idea without any evidence (in fact, that's why you believe it).

I think my evidence is a lot less complicated, in the same manner that breathing is less complicated when you just breathe.

And I note you've said I don't have incontrovertible evidence that I can see what I'm reading or typing, which is what I said in that quote. Are you saying you don't agree with this, or are you just not agreeing because that's easier for you than reading what I actually typed (whilst watching my fingers move with my, apparently, working vision)?

Are you saying you don't have this evidence that you can see? Are you blind after all?

What convinced me was that I didn't need to rationalise the experience. Doubting it is like doubting you can see or hear.

Of course you rationalized it. Otherwise, you wouldn't have reached a conclusion about it.

Now what experience was this, exactly?

What makes you know you really can see? That's what you're asking me, so what is it? Stop talking around the subject and just tell me what it is.

I'm not the one talking around the topic, arfa. You're the one who talks in vague terms and refuses to answer direct questions. Please tell me what your experience with God was.

You seem to think that "the answer" is something I can tell you in words. You have an expectation that this is the only possibility.

Because it certainly is something you can put into words. The only thing holding you back is your creativity. Feel free to make an attempt to explain exactly what you experienced.

Can you tell the difference between dreaming and being awake?

Sometimes you can't until after you've woken up. And there are also times memory can't tell the difference.

I think a good rule of thumb is if you rarely talk to God and the times that you have talked to him you think you could have been dreaming...you were dreaming.

There are times when I've been flying without an airplane and I think I was dreaming so I probably was dreaming don't you think?

Balerion said:
Sometimes you can't until after you've woken up. And there are also times memory can't tell the difference.
There are also times, like when you're (apparently) driving a car. Times like those are when it's better to trust your awareness of being awake rather than dreaming.
I myself am reasonably confident about evolution and survival being fairly irrefutable evidence of something-or-other.
Because it certainly is something you can put into words.
Maybe, but I prefer a different medium than words.
Feel free to make an attempt to explain exactly what you experienced.
See, you think I can explain "exactly"; this is part of what you perceive is the "problem" here.

If you can't see vast differences between the definition of god carl Jung or Einstein might use and the definition an orthodox (not a Kabbalist) rabbi would use, you have some serious "muddying" going on yourself.

Since you apparently didn't read the passage you just quoted, I'll post it again:

me said:
hat isn't to say there aren't different concepts of God, but the term itself at the very least has a general meaning that could be applied to virtually any concept therein, and is virtually always employed in such a way. I mean, what do you think Jan or arfa means by "God?" Sure, they may conceptualize it differently--Jan believes in a version of Yahweh, while arfa might believe as Seattle suggested, in a God-as-consciousness pseudo-pantheistic deity. But in either case, they're talking about the ultimate power, the supreme being, the creator of the universe.

Again, using shorthand definitions is not functional for philosophy.

Then why do you rely on them to confuse the person you are discussing this subject with? Need I remind you of how you began this asinine interruption? "Dreams are real. Not physically real, of course, but real." Not to mention the fact that I wasn't saying dreams aren't a real phenomenon, but that the events therein are not real but imagined, even if they are remembrances of real events, since a dream is just a dream and not an actual event. So you not only attempted to confuse me with your shorthand definitions of "real," but you attempted (and, unfortunately, succeeded) in dragging us completely off-topic.

There is real fear, a real moon, a real dream, and all can be considered real in a different way. If you would like to pretend the word has one meaning, use the dictionary.

I never said the word has just one meaning. That's something else you've invented. I merely said you were misusing the word, which you were. The context of my usage of the word was an event taking place in the world, specifically the difference between those waking events and the imaginings of events while dreaming. You interjected your nonsensical "real is real is real" in the midst of that, so rather than opening a dictionary, I'd suggest you pay attention to the conversation you're interrupting, and maybe even read the post you're responding to before, you know, responding.

Some ideas of god, "god as higher consciousness of man", are actually self-proving via logic, a semantic ideation is hard to disprove

First of all, no ideas of God are self-proving via logic. Secondly, being hard (or even impossible) to disprove is not the same as being proven. "True" is not the default position of an idea.

- perhaps Sisyphus can become real, I.e. Important and accurate, for you, even though Sisyphus is not actually rolling a stone up a hill somewhere (although many people named something else are effectively living the realness of that myth daily).

Is this supposed to be an idea that is self-proving through logic? How do you figure? All you've accomplished is getting people to say "It may become real someday." That's quite a long way from "This God is real."

The fact that I won't say I know exactly what god is, or how accurate each definition of god is on a physical level or a metaphysical level, doesn't preclude my using a working model, the same way sarkus has proposed the empiricist is able to continue an emotional life, for example, in the face of lacking testable data. That a person can have a spiritual life that is also only, "the best they can do at this time", and is lacking in testable data should be acceptable to anyone who does the same for their emotional life.

The problem is that you don't have any working models of God. Of course, no one is saying you can't have experiences and misunderstand them as "spiritual." You can do that all you like. But once you decide you're going to insist upon it in a science forum, with vague and misused terms, you're going to be taken to task for it. If you'd rather not have your experiences questioned, or have no good answer for what those experiences even consist of (you and arfa have both been notably unable to explain what it is, exactly, that makes you believers) then coming to a science forum to defend those beliefs isn't going to bring you any satisfaction. You'll be left looking dishonest and slippery, as you both have here.

because, these days, we have a perfect understanding of consciousness and the universe? No, there are still people looking for "satisfactory explanations".

Straw man. I obviously never said man has all the answers. What I said was that godhood arose from ignorance of the workings of the world. The man who invented gods didn't know what caused thunder or earthquakes, or what the sun or moon was, or that the billions of points of light in the night sky were stars at inconceivable distances from one another. He had no recourse to coincidence or irony; everything was meant to be or divine interjection.

Because he had no knowings of biology or astronomy, he anthropomorphized the sun as a being, and invented supermen with the senses of a cat or the jaws of a hound or the sight and wisdom of a hawk. That's where "god" comes from. This idea that god is everything, or god is consciousness, is an example of that retreat from the immediate personification of God that have been destroyed by science.

Well, if god is physically real,

What reason do you have to believe he is? That's the question you can't seem to answer.

I think it is fair to assume that god created the world in a way that coincides with our understanding of science. Not to say that we are currently in a higher state of information than what should be implied by having a three hundred year old scientific tradition, because we are not. This just means I assume we are meant to trust what we learn and see, otherwise god would be requiring us to do the improbable if not the impossible.

But we haven't always been at this level of understanding, so "trusting what we see" has meant believing in divine causes for tornadoes and droughts at different times in history. This is another point in which your assumptions come up empty.

Refer to dictionary... available online 24/7.

Refer to my previous post. Available online 24/7. But, you know, actually read it this time.

just like an anti-scientist throws out gene therapy with the abortion issue, some people throw out all definitions of god with their limited definition.

This is a terrible analogy, since even evangelist loons agree that gene therapy works. They simply say the means by achieving it are immoral. Meanwhile, I disregard all definitions of god because none have been proven to be genuine, and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that godhood itself is just a myth.

No you are the one who is having a problem defining real

No I'm not. I was very clear as to what I was referring. I drew a clear difference between waking experience and the imagining of a dream. You're the one who said "Not real but real," as if we're supposed to just know what that means. (Not to mention that you misunderstood the point completely)

the "dream about god" is an actual straw man.

I think you need to look up the definition of "straw man." arfa said that he knows god is real because he experienced it. I said that dreams are experiences as well, and using that logic he would have to accept all of his dreams as real experiences rather than imagined experiences. You're the one who has misunderstood and muddied the discussion. But this is a common tactic of the theist, so I'm not surprised.

The dream about god wouldn't mean god is real, although god may be real and the person has a dream about it. Also, the positive unconscious, would certainly be called real by Freud and Jung, and if you want to ask Jung not to use the word god, you should dig him up.

You should learn how to read.

There are also times, like when you're (apparently) driving a car. Times like those are when it's better to trust your awareness of being awake rather than dreaming.
I myself am reasonably confident about evolution and survival being fairly irrefutable evidence of something-or-other.

More evasion. Just answer the question.

Maybe, but I prefer a different medium than words.

Then you're in the wrong place. :shrug:

See, you think I can explain "exactly"; this is part of what you perceive is the "problem" here.

I don't believe you can't explain it. If you couldn't explain it, you wouldn't have contextualized it as God. You keep mentioning driving and directions, but we don't have an innate sense of either; you have to learn how to drive and which way to go. You may no longer consciously have to remember how to get home, but if someone asked you "How do I get to your house," you could rattle off the directions from various landmarks without much thought. Yet you're claiming you know how to get home innately, without ever receiving instruction, and could not possibly tell anyone how to get there, what landmarks are nearby, or what mode of locomotion to use. This is bogus. You're hiding behind vagueness because you're afraid your concept of God will be easily debunked, and you'll have a crisis of faith. Where you might, you know, have to face reality, rather than this comfortable delusion you've invented for yourself.

I don't like slippery slopes. :eek: lol

It isn't that atheists or empiricists insist on one particular definition, it's that the various false definitions of the word given by theists are transparent attempts at defending their beliefs from scrutiny. If you had a vision or a feeling, and you call it God, you could easily be called delusional. Hence the need to redefine "reality." Now, according to these new-age theists, there are varying levels of reality, and their experience lives in one of these otherwise-unreachable realms. They also think this absolves them of having to produce any evidence. And, as we've seen in this thread, they think it means they don't even have to say what the experience was. To them, it's a get-out-of-jail-free card. Proselytize, criticize, and then run away screaming from any attempts to pin down what, exactly, they're talking about.

The thing is, no rational person buys any of this bullshit. So it only serves the purpose of self-deluding, rather than convincing anyone else that they're right. It kills discussion on the subject in the crib, as you can tell from this thread, where we all have to chase the theists around for ten pages trying to get them just to say what makes them believe in God.

You're hiding behind vagueness because you're afraid your concept of God will be easily debunked, and you'll have a crisis of faith. Where you might, you know, have to face reality, rather than this comfortable delusion you've invented for yourself.
You mean the subset of reality? Big bang from nothing? Impossible. Totally impossible. It is 100% likely, and in fact it is certain there is something that cosmologists cannot see. The face of God? Maybe. Some cosmic realm made of space-time goop of which our universe is just one bubble? Maybe. Religion is beautiful. God is beautiful. Creation is beautiful. It takes a strong mind to resist the atheist dogma. Don't let them break you.

It isn't that atheists or empiricists insist on one particular definition, it's that the various false definitions of the word given by theists are transparent attempts at defending their beliefs from scrutiny. If you had a vision or a feeling, and you call it God, you could easily be called delusional. Hence the need to redefine "reality." Now, according to these new-age theists, there are varying levels of reality, and their experience lives in one of these otherwise-unreachable realms. They also think this absolves them of having to produce any evidence. And, as we've seen in this thread, they think it means they don't even have to say what the experience was. To them, it's a get-out-of-jail-free card. Proselytize, criticize, and then run away screaming from any attempts to pin down what, exactly, they're talking about.

The thing is, no rational person buys any of this bullshit. So it only serves the purpose of self-deluding, rather than convincing anyone else that they're right. It kills discussion on the subject in the crib, as you can tell from this thread, where we all have to chase the theists around for ten pages trying to get them just to say what makes them believe in God.

Really outstanding post, Balerion. I can't add much else; you've covered all the bases here. Agreed!
You mean the subset of reality? Big bang from nothing? Impossible. Totally impossible. It is 100% likely, and in fact it is certain there is something that cosmologists cannot see. The face of God? Maybe. Some cosmic realm made of space-time goop of which our universe is just one bubble? Maybe. Religion is beautiful. God is beautiful. Creation is beautiful. It takes a strong mind to resist the atheist dogma. Don't let them break you.

When you find some extra time, check out the thread "Covert Messiah," in this section. Suppose there is actual evidence that reveals the Bible to be a book of lies? Fascinating article. When you have time...

You're hiding behind vagueness because you're afraid your concept of God will be easily debunked, and you'll have a crisis of faith.
It isn't a concept, unless you mean seeing something is a concept.
Where you might, you know, have to face reality, rather than this comfortable delusion you've invented for yourself.
I doubt that you or anyone on this forum can convince me I can't see or hear.
Hear or see what? Well, hear stuff that's like sound, and see stuff that's like light. Very much like hearing and seeing, you know?

When you find some extra time, check out the thread "Covert Messiah," in this section. Suppose there is actual evidence that reveals the Bible to be a book of lies? Fascinating article. When you have time...

http://www.inquisitr.com/987041/jesus-christ-was-invented-for-psychological-warfare-says-biblical-scholar/ said:
According to his theory the Roman Empire invented Jesus Christ as a form of mind control to enslave the poor.

It reminds me of two versions of Joan of Arc, two movies. One was called, "Messenger, the story of Joan of Arc". It described Joan as being totally passionate, fervent, totally zealous about God.

The other movie was called "Joan of Arc". In this version, Joan of Arc was a puppet of the state. This version of Joan was pathetic and weak. She had no vision of her own.

Since when do people ever do what their told? From my own experience and from watching other people, there are men and women who have .vision. They will go to extremes to accomplish their vision. Jesus the Christ was a man with vision. He was also a man who was backed by God.

Anyway, Covert Messiah is just a failing attack from atheists.

BTW wegs, where is your avatar?

It isn't a concept, unless you mean seeing something is a concept.I doubt that you or anyone on this forum can convince me I can't see or hear.
Hear or see what? Well, hear stuff that's like sound, and see stuff that's like light. Very much like hearing and seeing, you know?

Very much like seeing and hearing...except that you can't describe it to us and you, presumably, can describe what you've seen and heard.

Last edited:
Back