The Creation

You mean apart from the experimental evidence and measurement of the casimir force?
http://prola.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v88/i4/e041804
Nothing wrong with the measurements (or at least I'm not challenging them).

Its only when you say that it was due to nothing that it gets theoretical.
(Much like the theories of spontaneous generation from the 17th/18th century also demonstrated something from nothing)
:eek:

Last edited:
Okay - so you are now changing your position from it being "just an idea" to a theory.
I guess you'll say that Einstein's ToR is "just an idea"?

But God is fact?

:shrug:
If only you applied your criticism of scientific "just an idea"s to your theistic beliefs.

Okay - so you are now changing your position from it being "just an idea" to a theory.
I guess you'll say that Einstein's ToR is "just an idea"?

But God is fact?

If only you applied your criticism of scientific "just an idea"s to your theistic beliefs.
The problem is that you want to use the word "nothing" within the discipline of empiricism. Empiricism is, necessarily, incomplete since it works through the senses (and the senses are, whether in their raw state or mechanically enhanced, necessarily metonymic).

Just because empiricism is constrained by this (namely constrained by limited senses) doesn't mean all ways of knowing suffer the same fate.

This is the problem when debating LG. He switches horses in mid-stream.
If you want to talk about nothingness within the discipline of empiricism, of course it is just an idea.

Why talk of quantum physics when one can also cite spontaneous generation experiments of the 17/18th century as being models for showing something coming from nothing.

earth said:
This is the problem when debating LG. He switches horses in mid-stream.
Beg to differ. He is simply not constrained by your limitations with regard to sense. For example:
LG said:
The problem is that you want to use the word "nothing" within the discipline of empiricism. Empiricism is, necessarily, incomplete since it works through the senses (and the senses are, whether in their raw state or mechanically enhanced, necessarily metonymic).

Just because empiricism is constrained by this (namely constrained by limited senses) doesn't mean all ways of knowing suffer the same fate.
So you see that simply by following his example, and employing the vocabulary and rhetorical techniques of the non-sense ways of knowing, a satisfactory debate is immediately possible - one meeting all the standards of the theistic faction of the religion forum.

The concept of "nothing", for example, takes on entirely new and useful significances when freed of the constraints of empiricism with its "thing" concept - its potencies expand to include the attribution of eternalities to the nonexistent, its realm becomes populated with a variety of entities metonymically co-influential with the cycles of annhilation and creation established within the framework of sarga and other nouns, and discussions of the role of religion in mediating interactions between the realm of sense and the realm of God can proceed with the necessary assumptions established.

See posts 131 and 132 for a successful example.

Beg to differ. He is simply not constrained by your limitations with regard to sense. For example:
So you see that simply by following his example, and employing the vocabulary and rhetorical techniques of the non-sense ways of knowing, a satisfactory debate is immediately possible - one meeting all the standards of the theistic faction of the religion forum.

The concept of "nothing", for example, takes on entirely new and useful significances when freed of the constraints of empiricism with its "thing" concept - its potencies expand to include the attribution of eternalities to the nonexistent, its realm becomes populated with a variety of entities metonymically co-influential with the cycles of annhilation and creation established within the framework of sarga and other nouns, and discussions of the role of religion in mediating interactions between the realm of sense and the realm of God can proceed with the necessary assumptions established.

See posts 131 and 132 for a successful example.

regardless of your estimations of what theism includes, it has nothing to do with the state of affairs of empiricism.

The argument was (as posted by sarkus) that standing back from everything that has the title of "theory" is not scientifically practical. He gave the example of ToR.

I reminded him that einstein is working with "things", and even though it is possible that that ToR could be modified as new evidences come to hand, those "things" will still remain "things" (in the sense that they have emergent properties that enable us to recognize them).

You can't use the idea of "nothing" in the same way, since its emergent properties (namely a complete lack of them) can very easily change. I gave the example of the spontaneous generation experiments which, supposedly, evidenced life coming from nothing. Several decades later, as knowledge of the microcosm expanded, it was realized that it wasn't the case.

In short, even though all terms of empiricism may suffer from the weakness of partial knowledge, and even though quantum theory may be most acutely affected by this weakness (being on the peripheral of cutting edge science) no term is so weak, especially within quantum theory, as the word "nothing".

To try and ponder the nature of the spiritual world through a familiarity with the material world is necessarily absurd.

I totally agree. It's the only way a spiritual world can exist. It has to be completely separate from conventional wisdom. There is a simple reason for this: some very good thinkers have rationalized that God has more credence when He's beyond the scope of contemporary knowledge. However this in no way is proof that a god even exists, it's merely placing Him out of bounds in a spiritual world...a perfectly logical route to take when the realization takes hold that God cannot exist in this universe or be subject to its laws.

With absolutely nothing to go on, the next logical step would be to have a god that's unexplainable. The trouble is that theists such as yourself cannot resist efforts to attempt explanation. You say God and states of consciousness are beyond us in every conceivable way yet you try to explain anyway. So as long as you and others continue to deploy your contradictory platform, then I will also continue to insist that theists cease and desist their meandering.

Your story sounds like any cosmological theory until you get to consciousness and God. A homogenous soup becomes the universe. Great, wonderful. I said previously that you can place God anywhere you want, even if it is in unknown states of whatever, simultaneously existing with our material world because at some point all of this would have to either come into existence or always have been. In either case you are not farther ahead of any theoretical cosmologist, each of you possessing a universe that currently can't be explained entirely.

For you it seems the key ingredient for God is consciousness. This is a relatively safe position to take at the moment. Personally I find the mind even more marvelous than a god. When the mind's mysteries are unraveled I wonder where God will originate from.

I totally agree. It's the only way a spiritual world can exist. It has to be completely separate from conventional wisdom.

I don't know if I would define conventional wisdom as an overbearing attachment to things that will shortly cease to exist
There is a simple reason for this: some very good thinkers have rationalized that God has more credence when He's beyond the scope of contemporary knowledge.
Its more the case that some very good thinkers have concluded that what passes for contemporary "knowledge" is paltry and totally fruitless.

However this in no way is proof that a god even exists, it's merely placing Him out of bounds in a spiritual world...a perfectly logical route to take when the realization takes hold that God cannot exist in this universe or be subject to its laws.
Actually movement in the general direction of proof of god begins when one realizes that the "bounds" of material existence fit more or less like a strait jacket and the only sensible solution is to work out what the hell one is doing in it.
With absolutely nothing to go on, the next logical step would be to have a god that's unexplainable. The trouble is that theists such as yourself cannot resist efforts to attempt explanation. You say God and states of consciousness are beyond us in every conceivable way yet you try to explain anyway.
Not really.
We say that god is beyond the material conception of life - namely the heartfelt desire to make the universe subordinate to our whim. Of course that might translate as inconceivable for as long as one remains steadfast in such a mode of selfish destruction.
As far as an explanation of god goes, the more clear an idea that one has of god, the more easier it is to reconcile the issue of the universe and our action in it (and thus have an option other than setting one's senses in the driver's seat for a mad dash called life which hits the anti climax called old age before tumbling into the obscurity of death)

So as long as you and others continue to deploy your contradictory platform, then I will also continue to insist that theists cease and desist their meandering.
A poor fund of knowledge is also known to be a necessary ingredient in some proclamations of contradiction.
Your story sounds like any cosmological theory until you get to consciousness and God. A homogenous soup becomes the universe. Great, wonderful. I said previously that you can place God anywhere you want, even if it is in unknown states of whatever, simultaneously existing with our material world because at some point all of this would have to either come into existence or always have been. In either case you are not farther ahead of any theoretical cosmologist, each of you possessing a universe that currently can't be explained entirely.
and lo and behold, what is the requirement for a universe that can be explained entirely, oh masterful one?
;)

For you it seems the key ingredient for God is consciousness.
not just god.
Us too (as well as the animals, plants and anything else that has life)

This is a relatively safe position to take at the moment. Personally I find the mind even more marvelous than a god. When the mind's mysteries are unraveled I wonder where God will originate from.
I guess it depends.

I mean if one's mind is simply engaged in the animal propensities of sleeping, eating, mating and defending it would probably be more accurate to describe it as wonderful as a dog.

As long as one is doing on four wheels what a dog does on four legs, its hardly a marvel (although I imagine every dog has a high estimation of their mental prowess)

I beg to differ. I also watched something else. Nothing x Nothing= Nothing. This only means that there was always something. God. You can't make something out of nothing.

I beg to differ.
Of course you do. It doesn't make you correct though.

I also watched something else. Nothing x Nothing= Nothing. This only means that there was always something. God. You can't make something out of nothing.
Supposition.
Insupportable.

I don't care about being correct. It is true because it is so. I just happaned to state it on Dec 26 2009. It ahas been so since the beginning of time.
Again you're confused: it isn't true either.

GTFO please with you bullshit words.
Simply because you don't understand those particular words doesn't make them bullshit.
Try looking in a dictionary, it may help your comprehension.

Again you're confused: it isn't true either.

Simply because you don't understand those particular words doesn't make them bullshit.
Try looking in a dictionary, it may help your comprehension.

Heh. Shoo away, go try to enforce your bullshit views on someone else.

Heh. Shoo away, go try to enforce your bullshit views on someone else.
No, you're still confused.
Bullshit is when you make statements that you can't back up, such as "proving God made the world" or "This only means that there was always something. God." or even "It is true because it is so."
Got it yet?

No, you're still confused.
Bullshit is when you make statements that you can't back up, such as "proving God made the world" or "This only means that there was always something. God." or even "It is true because it is so."
Got it yet?

There is plenty of proof, you just like to go against the universe. Do you really think you can cheat the universe? You. One single human being with the mental capability of providing nothing more than just empty words and empty criticism.

You believe in nothing remember? Why do you insist on pushing your belief on everyone here when you don't believe in anything. Why do you contradict yourself? You say I am confused? What are you then? 10 years old? Go get bent, you have never brought one decent arguement and most likely never will.

There is plenty of proof
Nope, none.

, you just like to go against the universe. Do you really think you can cheat the universe?
That's a false assumption on your part, I'm going with the evidence provided by the universe.

One single human being with the mental capability of providing nothing more than just empty words and empty criticism.
And another false assumption.

You believe in nothing remember? Why do you insist on pushing your belief on everyone here when you don't believe in anything. Why do you contradict yourself?
How am I contradicting myself? I'm saying that you have no evidence, and that there must always have been something is a supposition.

You say I am confused? What are you then? 10 years old? Go get bent, you have never brought one decent arguement and most likely never will.
And more inanity from you.
You can't actually back up any of your comments so you have to resort (as usual) to insults and ad homs.
Well done.

Nope, none.

That's a false assumption on your part, I'm going with the evidence provided by the universe.

And another false assumption.

How am I contradicting myself? I'm saying that you have no evidence, and that there must always have been something is a supposition.

And more inanity from you.
You can't actually back up any of your comments so you have to resort (as usual) to insults and ad homs.
Well done.

Shoo.

Back