The Bible. Myth or Reality?

timojin said:
What is that U am supposed to say ? I know nothing , But we want to make things clear cut on what is real . It al depends from what angle is the observer .
Uh, can you rewrite that?
he difference of *relative viewpoints* belongs in the area of physical phenomena, Science. The different viewpoints allow *observation* from different objective perspectives of the same thing, without altering the object;s fundamental physical properties (as a general rule).

In religion such rigor is not required. It is a *subjective* experience and does allow the assignment of different properties to the object (God) and thus is subject to *one's emotional experience* of the object, altering the fundamental *spiritual* properties of God.

One can interpret the concept of God in some many different ways that "never the twain shall meet".

Thus where Science comes to eventual objective agreement on the nature of physical phenomena, Religious Diven Scripture is from a *fixed* and *personal* viewpoint and does not allow for modification or refinement or adoption of the scientific method, lest it shows that the divine inspiration is flawed. Thus modern religious people parse the good stuf from the bible and ignore the bad parts as *irrelevant* .
OTOH, *fundamentalists* actually take all of Scripture literally as divine truth and *demand* adherence to everything that was written thousands of years ago by people who had very little knowledge of scientific correctness. Thus the bible is full of miracles, which can ONLY be ascribed to a divine spiritual force, rather than a mathematical chronology of cause and effect.

The expression "God works in mysterious ways" is a fatalistic subjective viewpoint which as nothing to do with knowledge of *relativity* due to the point of observation, but holds each viewpoint as inviolable and eternally different from other relatively different viewpoints.

WHat is written in the old testament is many of Jewish wars , which might have nothing to do with God but human behaviour and human interpretation of natural desastres . Many evils we human bring upon ourselves by attempting to submit each other .

So which god was there when the Old Testament was written? Do gods take turns? Is there more than one god? You'd better read the Old Testament if you think that the Jews were only talking about war, they were discussing god.

So which god was there when the Old Testament was written? Do gods take turns? Is there more than one god? You'd better read the Old Testament if you think that the Jews were only talking about war, they were discussing god.

I believe there is only one God We do a lot in the name of God , We all like that God be on our side. I believe God allows man trough nature to do harm to our own kind , because our disobedience .

This was really a response to cosmictraveller.

But out of interest, why don't you believe in God?

jan.
Well, if people profess, say like the bible being truth with no evidence, and God is supposed to be truth - they're liars.

Or delusional.

I believed in God when I was an infant. But I grew up.

So what if God is violent and destructive?
What does it matter to you?

I don't believe that God is anything, apart from a figure in religious mythology.

But the qualities that traditions ascribe to God are important.

People believe in the reality of this God figure, and believe that God has made it known how he wants humanity to behave. If God is depicted as a moral monster, and people behave according to how they believe that kind of God wants them to behave, we are apt to end up with savegery. We are currently seeing that dynamic played out by ISIS.

If God behaves in ways that would be intolerable and inexcusable if human beings behaved the same way, then God is man's moral inferior. And that suggests that a God conceived of in this way is not a suitable object of human religious devotion. I think that it's just a basic principle of religion that human beings should direct their devotion towards what's above them, not towards what lies beneath.

Well, if people profess, say like the bible being truth with no evidence, and God is supposed to be truth - they're liars.

Or delusional.

I believed in God when I was an infant. But I grew up.

Two questions.

Did/do people believe in God whether or not they had/have access to a Bible?
Why don't you believe in God?

jan.

Two questions.

jan.

I can't believe in God - there is not great evidence. I cannot disprove God either.

I'm agnostic I guess.

Two questions.

jan.

Interesting. Why don't you not believe in God?
confused.gif

Back