Spirituality in Atheism

Do atheists believe in spirituality

• I am not an athiest and I do not believe in spirituality

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It would seem contrary to feel that a connection is corporeal when the ideology is that it is universal. e.g. do you feel your love for your children is a corporeal and biochemical event that can be regulated by chemicals?

So if I stand on a mountain and feel at one with the "universe" what chemical reaction is that?
I don't know.
I don't know if it those things can be reduced to biochemistry or not.
I don't dismiss the idea, because incredibly complex things can emerge from simple reactions, but...

I don't think it matters.

Isn't the love for children and the joy of standing on a mountaintop something to be valued as is?
Does it matter whether they can be reduced to components or not?

I don't know.
I don't know if it those things can be reduced to biochemistry or not.
I don't dismiss the idea, because incredibly complex things can emerge from simple reactions, but...

I don't think it matters.

Isn't the love for children and the joy of standing on a mountaintop something to be valued as is?
Does it matter whether they can be reduced to components or not?

I don't think they can be reduced to components. Like the beta carotene debacle, I think its not always possible to understand something by taking it apart and making assumptions about its significance.

Not consisting of matter, in the sense of spirituality.
I don't think waves are meant here.

actually pete, i like that

the initiation and source of an experience is irrelevant
it is the experience that matters

it is also a two way street
an experience sourced from without will trigger a corresponding reaction in the brain
reproduce that same reaction internally and experience the joy again

crazy mad symbiotic stuff i think

I don't think they can be reduced to components. Like the beta carotene debacle, I think its not always possible to understand something by taking it apart and making assumptions about its significance.

Yes, I too accept that perhaps spirituality does not arise from biochemistry.

But do you agree that it really doesn't matter?
Or do you think that spirituality would be somehow less valuable if it was, in fact, something that emerges from biochemical interactions?

Yes, I too accept that perhaps spirituality does not arise from biochemistry.

But do you agree that it really doesn't matter?
Or do you think that spirituality would be less valuable if it was, in fact, something that emerges from biochemical interactions?

Hmm thats like asking if I could see the UVB interacting with the 7 dehydrocholesterol to form cholecalciferol would it be less valuable? No, it would not.

i like the saying morality is divine, all sects are manmade. sums up my feelings pretty well, i figure it makes me a spiritual atheist.

what's our definition of spirituality though, do i have to believe i have a soul, cos i reject that concept. we're just blood and bone. an interesting thought i heard, why worry about dying, you were dead for thousands of years before you were born and it didn't hurt you.

sam

lets try again

Thats a natural consequence for those who confuse the sensation with the experience of it.

perhaps you mean that the sensation is distinct from that which does the sensing? a differentiation b/w the experience and the experiencer?

Perception does not create the sensation, only the experience of it.

to perceive and to experience is the same thing
the object of this perception is the output from the sensors

sam

lets try again

Thats a natural consequence for those who confuse the sensation with the experience of it.

perhaps you mean that the sensation is distinct from that which does the sensing? a differentiation b/w the experience and the experiencer?

to perceive and to experience is the same thing
the object of this perception is the output from the sensors

Sensation and Perception and the Experience of perception is the same thing also?

..... do i have to believe i have a soul, cos i reject that concept......

lemme take the liberty of quoting tiassa from a long ago thread

tiassa said:
What "could" a soul be? Well, the mind-uploaders might have an answer for that question someday. Perhaps it's a strictly bio-electrical phenomenon. I still hold to my conclusion that life is not a chance occurrence but a statistical necessity in the Universe, so it's not as if a soul must be mystical.

If you trust the standard definition of the soul, then the argument freezes there. We doubt everything else about Christianity, for instance ... why not doubt the definition of the soul? Without hostility, sarcasm, or otherwise--for it might be possible to interpret it that way--the result of trusting the Christian definition of the soul in order to argue about it seems more a tool to beat down an idea rather than to explore its possibilities.

Do you trust an ancient, possibly deluded people to define the terms of consideration you award a concept?

What bugs me is when an atheist who has rejected the Christian god that he or she learned in the world applies that to all Gods, even those they may never have heard of. This is the height of arrogance and contradiction, as it makes the atheist religious.

However, in this case, as I have pointed out above, you're letting people you don't trust set the considerations for the definitions.

In other words: Should someone someday find a "soul", do you really expect that it will look like people have described in religious philosophy?

But is there not a possibility that the limited linguistic scope of the past might stain the present considerations?

Is there any one idea of a soul? No. There are many diverse ideas of what the soul is. If we limit ourselves to the characteristics of any one idea, we limit our scope of inquiry. However, we are also limiting our scope of inquiry if we accept at face value what is said.

now

Do you trust an ancient, possibly deluded people to define the terms of consideration you award a concept? (tiassa)

absolutely not! it allows chris and others to waylay into anyone stupid enough to do so

pete puts it quite succinctly

I think that spirituality is the awareness of something about yourself that is more than your body. The instinctive dualist nature of the human mind. That which prompts questions like "What's it all about? Is death the end? Why something rather than nothing?"

the source of mysticism, religion and fantasy. you are conscious of being conscious and mystified why it should be the case.
simple self-awareness is likewise inadequate as a descriptor. one is actually aware of being self-aware

now
the materialistic atheist would come in and yap about complexity/matrix/simulation/patterns/substrates. that maybe so but as of yet it is just some promissory materialism. crap allusions and conclusions without any meaningful evidence

i invoke occam
that i have a real feeling of being distinct from all that i experience is tentatively held to be true pending new info. it is simpler and more elegant than buying into some pseudo scientific babble

/snigger

Last edited:
But is there not a possibility that the limited linguistic scope of the past might stain the present considerations?(tiassa)

a literary masterpiece

/awed

oh dear
now i am muddled
excuse me while i stick an ice pick into my skull

/cackle

Well I work in nutrition, so the three are different for me.

If I tell you to close your eyes and put a rod dipped in liquid nitrogen on your back and tell you its a hot poker, what is the sensation, the perception and the experience?

i perceive the object as icy
i experience the object as icy

the auditory sensation is perceived as a lie
hmm

i got it

perception is cerebral
experience is both cerebral and physical in differing degrees depending on the context

?

Back