Spirituality in Atheism

Do atheists believe in spirituality

• I am not an athiest and I do not believe in spirituality

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
persoanlly I'd like it to read "I am atheist" not "an atheist" ...

I took "spirituality" to mean something akin to having a ghost-like spirit.

What about negative experiences? Sorrow, death, suffering, pain?

They're experiences like any other. There is not much to appreciate in sorrow, suffering, and pain per se' but there may be related concepts to appreciate. For example, if someone in the family dies then you can always appreciate their memory.

nice thread
a logical continuance and extension of prior topics

i, dear lady, ooga booga alongside the finest of crackpots
witchcraft, psi, quantum physics.......
woohoo!

"god" however, aint an option.
yet

nice thread
a logical continuance and extension of prior topics

i, dear lady, ooga booga alongside the finest of crackpots
witchcraft, psi, quantum physics.......
woohoo!

"god" however, aint an option.
yet

Who cares? I don't care to evangelise, only to explore.

WHAT is this,...spirituality??

Spirituality is what is left when you set aside the fact that you are a chemical biological system that runs on energy transfer.

Everything else about you constitutes your spirit or atman.

you asked a question
i replied with my particular notions of spirituality
you then say you do not care

why?

Uh sorry, I did not recognise it as a notion of spirituality, my bad.

your loss
a version of god(s) might lie within the discipline awaiting discovery
then again it might be a devastating repudiation of that notion

Yeah, that bothers me too (the first part, not the second). But physics gives me a headache.
Though I have heard some things here which make me very very curious.

I don;t think I have a ghost-like spirit. Perhaps when the bificated brain is not in complete sync there's a feeling of someone else, a ghost, a god, a xenu, being there. Sometimes people hear voices as in schizophrenia - this could lead someone to think they have a spirit-ghost. Also, dreams could have led someone to such a concept. Or simply trying to rationalize the loss of a loved one.

Do athiests believe in spirituality?

What is their concept of it, if any?

I know spirituality exists and that it might do good for some people.
I do believe that some things in spirituality are actually based on reality but they are unrealistically explained. Similar to 'God did it' explanations.

My concept of it.. hmm.
Spirituality: The belief in the supernatural itself and the belief that the supernatural can interact with the natural.
Both beliefs are logical fallacies btw.

Last edited:
SAM said:
Spirituality is what is left when you set aside the fact that you are a chemical biological system that runs on energy transfer.

Pattern is what is left when you set aside substrate.

With you so far - now what ? Are you asking whether atheists believe in the existence of patterns without substrate, or are you interested in some of these patterns and wonder if atheists "believe in" them, or what ?

Pattern is what is left when you set aside substrate.

With you so far - now what ? Are you asking whether atheists believe in the existence of patterns without substrate, or are you interested in some of these patterns and wonder if atheists "believe in" them, or what ?

I'm wondering what are their ideas beyond reductionism

What if your spirit were something that arises and emerges from that chemical biological system?
Would that cheapen the idea of spirituality?

What if your spirit were something that arises and emerges from that chemical biological system?
Would that cheapen the idea of spirituality?

Like a methane bog, you mean?

Hmm an interesting notion. Does it?

Back