Souls?

the reaction the hallucination has on your body is material/objective, the actual stimuli on the senses is material/objective.
if we said the hallucinations were wholely material then we'd have to say the god/soul was material, and quite clearly it is not.
therefore the actual vision, dream, the backbone of the hallucination, is subjective/immaterial.
as I said earlier
the preacher said:
non-existent/ immaterial thus it can only reside in the subjective : aberration, apparition, delusion, Dream, fantasy, hallucination, head trip, illusion, imagination, mirage, phantasm, phantasmagoria, phantom, pink elephant, pipe dream, trip, vision, wraith, Realm.

Last edited:
Raithere,

All people just want to be happy. And they seek happiness as good as they can.

If you had completed your religious quest and have developed your own philosophical stance, then you wouldn't engage in these discussions, as you would simply have no need to do so. People don't engage into activities they have no need for; often though, needs are satified via compensations and redirections, so it isn't always clear which need a person is trying to satisfy. And this isn't a question of honesty, but of clarity.

"Honestly, this thread has been like talking to the television. Which I find upsetting because if I was looking for that I'd be watching television instead of earnestly attempting to convey my thoughts to other people which requires some effort."

Why do you persist then? Insanity is to do the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. If you don't want to watch television, but find yourself watching television, then why do you keep watching it?

"By all means, if someone wants to simply state that they don't know what a soul is or how it might interact with the world but they believe in souls anyway, go right ahead. But no one here has done that. They keep asserting that Boris's argument is invalid and then refuse to discuss why."

For one, they are discussing.
For two, I don't think all things can be meaningfully discussed -- but this is a general problem of language and cognition, and a problem of axioms.
To me, it is an axiom that the soul exists ... and I don't go into discussing this.

"Apparently, for instance, no one can tell me what a soul is because no one knows."

You are playing daft, you know this? :p
I could start explaining to you what "verb mood" is in grammar, for example, and the discussion would be neverending, unless you simply accepted that verb mood exists.

"So Jan, ellion, et al aren't arguing from any actual position, they just don't want to address the points that Boris brought. Jan even has the temerity to ask me to provide his argument for him."

Uh. Many atheists like to argue that there is no soul, while they have no working definition of a soul. This is the whole problem of their position.
How can one say something doesn't exist, when one doesn't even know what it is that one is talking about?!

So no wonder that theists ask them to provide their definition of a soul -- but then atheists fire back that providing the definition of the soul is the theist's job. No. It was the atheists who started the argument. They should know what they are talking about.

"But I expect people to be honest in return or at least do me the courtesy of not pretending to commit to a discussion when they're doing anything but."

One cannot have a discussion with people who refuse to at least temporarily accept stated terms and definitions.
A discussion is like a ladder: once you've climbed it, you don't need it anymore. Or like a bridge: once you've crossed it, you don't need it anymore. Ladders and bridges are meant to come from one place to another, just like discussions are meant to come from one understanding to another.
But so many people like to cling to the ladders and bridges, never to move from them. No wonder we can't talk then.
Thinking is not the aim. Thinking is just a means to an end.

"This forum has generated some of the best discussions regarding religion I have ever come across. But people need to be willing to commit to the discussion and not go off wailing or plugging their ears and yelling, "wrong, wrong, wrong" when they come across something they don't like."

EVERYONE responds with dislike when they come across something they don't like. It is how things work, for most living beings. You are no different, neither am I.
According to you, people should embrace and devote themselves to things they don't like? Your argument is tired and bogus.

Raithere,

I don't know Jan, why are you participating in this discussion in the first place?

I have already explained why. I want to know what Boris is actually talking about.

Boris presents an argument that you obviously disagree with.

He hasn't presented an argument because he cannot specify what it is he believes does/can not exist. He as merely attributed the word "soul" to something/anything that is "immaterial, then claim it does not exist.

Why then refuse to explain why you disagree or discuss the situation further? Why the stubborn refusal to posit an alternative argument?

There is no stubborness or refusal on my part, I am here to find out what Boris is actually talking about. If I don't know that, then how can I argue for or against his claims.

If you're not here to discuss things, be challenged, and contribute to the exploration of ideas such as this, why are you here at all?

I've told you.

Jan Ardena.

Sarkus,

I'm not telling you how it comes about - I'm telling you what it IS - it IS soundwaves.

"Music" is nothing but a word that we apply to these soundwaves.

No, soundwaves are soundwaves, music is produced by utilising soundwaves.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/physics/waves/soundultrasoundandseismicwavesrev1.shtml

Music is not a natural process, there is nothing in nature to which we can ascribe as the origin of music. It becomes material (in part) when we use materials to express it and percieve it, but music itself is immaterial.
You said; "If X exists and is immaterial - it does not interact with the material."
Music is purely "an act of expression", expression is purely immaterial, the "material" is what expression acts (and is percieved) through, therein lies the contradiction to your concept.

WTF my ass. Answer the question. If you think it is a stupid question, then you are some way to understanding what I think of Boris's post.

Originally Posted by Jan Ardena

Is there an explanation for rhythm, melodies and hormonies in concordance, which occur naturally.

Yes.

It is all to do with resonant frequencies I understand, although my biology and neurology isn't exactly great. I suggest you do a search on Google (or similar).
And it surprisingly mathematical, I understand.

Where can these rhythm, melodies and harmonies be found acting together?

I have told you what music is IN THE MATERIAL sense. Why do you ignore it? Why do you seemingly ignore everything that doesn't suit your argument?

You have said music IS sound waves. I'm telling you that music is percieved, by us THROUGH sound waves, but music is an individual expression.

Eh?
"Music" is a term that WE have generated and that we have applied. Nature doesn't determine what is music and what isn't - WE DO. We have defined music and we put things into the basket labelled "music".

You're right nature doesn't determine what is or isn't music. I will go one step further and say that nature CANNOT dertermine what it is or isn't, neither can it produce it, but we can. So although we are natural, there is a part of us which is not determined by nature, we can override nature by using it to produce something it itself cannot determine or produce. This mutinous element is only available through "expression".

To sum up.
Music is very much physical.

But not entirely.

It is up to each individual to ascribe to these soundwaves what they consider to be "music" or not - but the physicality of what "music" is remains the same!!!

Music is not relative, it is universal. We may not all be able to produce music, but we know what music is or isn't, and guess what, there is no physical law that governs it.

Jan Ardena.

Jan Ardena said:
You're right nature doesn't determine what is or isn't music. I will go one step further and say that nature CANNOT dertermine what it is or isn't, neither can it produce it, but we can. So although we are natural, there is a part of us which is not determined by nature, we can override nature by using it to produce something it itself cannot determine or produce. This mutinous element is only available through "expression".
I am failing to understand your point here, and how this relates to "soul"?

"Music" is nothing but a label for certain constructs/interactions of the material.

If you are saying that the "soul" is likewise a label for certain constructs/interactions of the material - then we're getting somewhere.

Is this what you're saying?
If it is then Boris' post does not apply to your understanding/definition of Soul - which is purely to do with those definitions that state they are "immaterial".
If not I fail to see your point in this "music" side-bar.

Jan Ardena said:
Music is purely "an act of expression", expression is purely immaterial, the "material" is what expression acts (and is percieved) through, therein lies the contradiction to your concept.
No - herein lies the flaw to your argument - or at least to the difference in understanding of "immaterial" that we seem to have.

"An act of expression" is, in my view, material - in the context of Boris' post. It is caused / generated by material interactions within your brain - it manifests itself through further interactions within the brain and results in physical reactions.
Part of those interactions might be to label the expression as "music" - or to call something "justice". But it is all a result of material input and material output, with the processing all being material.

Sarkus,

I am failing to understand your point here, and how this relates to "soul"?

It relates the immaterial and material.

"Music" is nothing but a label for certain constructs/interactions of the material.

Music is rhythm and melodies puposely combined by intelligent beings for intellegent beings. The material universe only provides the raw materials which are grossly unmanifested.

If it is then Boris' post does not apply to your understanding/definition of Soul - which is purely to do with those definitions that state they are "immaterial".

Boris has not given a definition of the soul, yet he makes comments like "there can be no room for the soul..".
Describing the soul as "immaterial" is like me describing Jimi Hendix as a cellular machine.

If not I fail to see your point in this "music" side-bar.

Then that's too bad.

"An act of expression" is, in my view, material -

in the context of Boris' post. It is caused / generated by material interactions within your brain - it manifests itself through further interactions within the brain and results in physical reactions.

That explain nothing. Can't you see that?

Part of those interactions might be to label the expression as "music" - or to call something "justice".

Before you sneakily attempt to normalise "expression" as a material prossess, maybe you should explain how you think it could be possible.

But it is all a result of material input and material output, with the processing all being material.

Why can we safely assume that every single living being past, present and future, will have a distinct, unique, expression? You and I may play the piece of music, but it will never sound identical, identical twins are similar but different. Which mechanical prossesser is capable of such exteme variety and detail.

Jan Ardena.

ellion said:
i have stated my position in my first couple of posts:

"if i had to say what is my soul, i would have to say it is me. i am mysoul."

this is the position from which i argue.
All right. Let's clarify.

When you say "me" and "I" are you referring to your physical body, the biological organism? Will "you" cease to function when your body does?

If so, what is it that survives the death of your body? Your mind? A seed of conscious awareness? Something else? Because, for all appearances a dead person appears to have ceased to function.

~Raithere

To me, it is an axiom that the soul exists ... and I don't go into discussing this.

The soul cannot be an axiom because it cannot stand on its own merits and is not assumed to be self-evident. Theists have shown that in this thread, you included.

It must be shocking for theists to read boris' post and begin to understand they're as mortal as anyone else and quite possibly will never know an afterlife. As they gasp for breath and feel the blood rushing from their heads, they can only read the words in front of them, thrust their crucifix at the screen and scream in anguish, NOOO!

And, after unraveling themselves from the fetal position and picking themselves up off the floor, they come up with all kinds of petty excuses as to why they won't engage the topic.

They have all provided beautiful examples of how theists will preclude reason with their beliefs.

And that is exactly what makes religion so dangerous.

Jan Ardena said:
Why can we safely assume that every single living being past, present and future, will have a distinct, unique, expression? You and I may play the piece of music, but it will never sound identical, identical twins are similar but different. Which mechanical prossesser is capable of such exteme variety and detail.
So you argue from an appeal to consequences? (I think that's the logical fallacy you're using, but not sure of the exact type).

It's very much the "Wow - humans are so advanced... only God could have made us!"

Well, if you take a writer like Marcel Proust or Hemmingway isn't there, in their writings, something which is typically theirs...the way of thinking (a unique entity) which survives them? (At least on the paper...)

Ellion,

Originally Posted by cris
The issue of whether souls exist or not is an essential consideration for theism, since if souls do not exist then an afterlife does not exist. which is the domain for theism to reward or punish. I.e. without an afterlife who cares whether gods exist or not.

Originally Posted by Ellion
this is simply a distorted a supposition form your distorted perception of god.
Is it? Isn’t this a simple factual observation? All significant religions hold as an essential tenet a form of afterlife, i.e. the concept that an eternal element of a person continues after death, whether this is a Christian style soul or Buddhist style reincarnation.

Tied to this concept is some form of moral guideline, e.g. in Christianity “be good and you will go to heaven, be bad and go to hell”, i.e. the essentials of reward and punishment. And for reincarnation – “be good and come back as a superior being, or be bad and come back as a lesser being”, and all variations on a similar theme.

The fundamental attraction of Christianity is the statement of Jesus “Believe in me and you shall have everlasting life”, but if there is no afterlife then the Jesus promise is vacuous. Another example; in western courts of law people are requested to swear on the bible, presumably as a reminder that if they lie then they risk eternal torment in hell in their afterlife.

The power and attraction of theism is the reward of eternal paradise and the fear of eternal punishment, none of which is realizable or relevant if people do not have souls.

Far from being a distorted view, this observation is the essential basis of all major theist religions.

Sarkus,

So you argue from an appeal to consequences? (I think that's the logical fallacy you're using, but not sure of the exact type.

I'm afraid you are backing off, by accusing me of fallacious arguments.
All brains look and operate similarly, if not the same, yet there is so much variety, 100% variety with regard to expression. If 6.5 billion people played Dixie on the fiddle written down in music, not one would be absolutely identical. Why is that?

It's very much the "Wow - humans are so advanced... only God could have made us!"

I'm afraid you're quite wrong here, but i suppose you don't believe me right? This thread, as I said before, is atheist dogma, because a true scientific analasys would not conclude the souls nonexistence until a definition of the soul was known. If all a scientist had, was that the soul is "immaterial", then he would conclude that he cannot conduct any kind of experiment. If we assume that Boris is an intelligent human being, he would know that his conclusion is not one based on science. So either Boris has a definition of the soul, but somehow failed to give it, or he came to that conclusion because he believes it. This is what I find fascinating about this thread.

Jan Ardena.

Cris said:
The fundamental attraction of Christianity is the statement of Jesus “Believe in me and you shall have everlasting life”

For whom is this the fundamental attraction of Christianity?
It wasn't for me.

Sarkus said:
You are merely quoting abstract concepts, none of which interact with us at all.

You don't interact with "maths".
You DO interact with the visual stimuli of the lines, drawings etc on the paper, crunch away in your head (all of which is a physical process), and arrive at an answer that you then physically visualise and probably store to memory, and probably write down.

The same with logic.
It is a tool - a concept.
We do not "interact" with it in any way.
If you do not interact with the unseen realities of LOGIc, then explain why so many of your decisions are based on its rules? If you say that logic is a tool, then you imply interaction, just as a man employing a physical hammer interacts with that tool for the sake of some purpose.

Also, Please define your understanding of "interact", for as it appears, you seem to be suggesting that interaction may only be material interaction, interaction or cause/effect, stimuli, response only by one physical object to another.
These two words are merely abstract concepts to describe the physical thought process that goes on in the brain to arrive at the right answer.

We are taught that 1+1=2.
We see the physical stimuli of the letters either on the paper, the board etc. We get the physical stimuli of the teacher telling us etc.
So, in simple terms, our brain builds a physical connection in the brain such that when we see 1+1 again we know that the answer is 2.
"Maths" is an abstract concept - but at no point do we interact with it..
If this is the case, then explain for example how the brain recognizes certain objects, such as a near perfect circle. In order for the mind to recognize a circle it must have an immaterial notion of what a perfect circle might look like, but yet none exist in nature for the mind to use as an example. Indeed, the mind might fashion an image to use out of particles, but there also is some understanding of the properties of a circle which must apply, such as having no sides, and these must be non-representative.
"Personality" is immaterial - but it is also not something that interacts. Personality is nothing more than a concept. It is the way, peculiar to each individual, in which our brain crunches all the inputs to achieve the outputs.
The inputs are physical.
The outputs are physical.
The processing is physical. It is this processing, peculiar to each of us, that is our personality.
There is no interaction with the immaterial at any point.
The fact that everyone processes the same inputs to achieve different outputs is what gives us our unique personality - but it is not something that interacts...
Nevertheless you have admitted that personality is an immaterial reality and therefore open yourself up to lack of defense in the previous areas. Even if the processes take place on a material level, personality has a cohesivity that ultimately non-physical...it is therefore spiritual, for anything that is non physical and yet alive is by definition spiritual in nature..for spirit/soul, if a bones definition must be given, is that which is sourced is the life-giving power, God, and which has the capacity to recieve the immaterial divine spirit. Personality is ultimately bound up in this and incapable of being separated from its spiritual elements.....What you are describing sounds like a computer, not a human being. Intellect and personality are not mere processing. A computer can only simulate intellect/personality by binary relation. Nevertheless we know by experience that personality is not epiphenomenon, not a by-product, but at the core of human life. For those who contend against this they unwittingly walk the path of a sociopath, seing other human beings as not worth much more dignity than a computer, beings merely to be used for utilitarian purpose and later disposed of.

Last edited:
I submit that the OP evades the central issue of what one might term a "soul" with the following "To sum up, two distinct points are raised here: first, the definition of the soul and its relationship with the body are contradictory, and second, there is no satisfactory explanation of how the soul can exchange information with the body."

If a "soul" is the abstract component of mind (itself having no physicality, but is the abstraction of that physicality) - allowed via the basis of the "geometry" of mind specifically and developed over time in terms of the advancment of that geometry (for instance as nueronal interconnections change over time), then there there is no contradiction as specified, and the explanation of how it can "exchange information with the body" can be hypothesized.

Lawdog,

You are confusing abstract concepts with supernatural immaterial objects. "Personality" is an emergent property of a set of physical (material) conditions. “Justice” is a similar abstract concept that is routed in material activities.

In terms of this thread “personality” is a result of material phenomena, whereas a “soul” would be considered a source. The two concepts are significantly different and should not be confused.

We can reasonably conclude that personality is a result since we observe changes in personality when the brain incurs injury or is altered by drugs. I.e. “personality” is wholly dependent on material brain function.

Water,

For whom is this the fundamental attraction of Christianity?
It wasn't for me.
From your earlier posts you revealed you were significantly confused by the role of religion and how you should interact with it. That you chose Christianity out of a confused ideal and didn’t recognize its key attribute is therefore understandable.

In the generic sense the attraction of religion is that it “promises” eternal life. Like any well marketed product its adherents rarely portray religion with that raw perspective and do their best to highlight it’s claimed more laudable attributes, instead, e.g. helping others, love, etc. When viewed objectively the practice of these activities are simply the entrance tests for access to an eternal paradise. Similarly Islamic suicide bombers believe their actions will also achieve eternal paradise.

The expected end result of any significant religion is eternal life. This is the primary promise of religion. The alledged mechanism is through some form of immaterial soul, the subject of this thread, and if the soul does not exist then religion is consequently total nonsense.

So far we have not seen how a soul can exist or what it does. At this point the soul concept appears to have zero credibility.

Please define your understanding of "interact"

Simple, to act together.

If personality is physically bounded to some bodily functions how come that some part of it (concerning the memory) is (scientifically proven) disconnected to this physicallity?

In the meantime, the puzzles about memory have grown even stranger. This part of our story will take us to one of the most controversial frontiers of current science, although it actually starts back in 1920 when W. McDougall, a biologist at Harvard, began an experiment to see if animals (in this case white rats) could inherit learning. The procedure was to teach the rats a simple task (avoiding a lighted exit), record how fast they learned, breed another generation, teach them the same task, and see how their rate of learning compared with their elders. He carried the experiment through 34 generations and found that, indeed, each generation learned faster in flat contradiction to the usual Darwinian assumptions about heredity. Such a result naturally raised controversy, and similar experiments were run to prove or disprove the result. The last of these was done by W.E. Agar at Melbourne over a period of 20 years ending in 1954. Using the same general breed of rats, he found the same pattern of results that McDougall had but in addition he found that untrained rats used as a control group also learned faster in each new generation. (Curiously, he also found that his first generation of rats started at the same rate of learning as McDougall's last generation.) No one had a good explanation for why both trained and untrained should be learning faster, but since this result did not support the idea that learning was inherited, the biology community breathed a sigh of relief and considered the matter closed.

The study explains this by unprooved Shandrake theory but concerning this topic there seems to be provable physically unconected ellement in humans .....(a kind of) soul?

Jan Ardena said:
I'm afraid you are backing off, by accusing me of fallacious arguments.
Debate can only move forward through the absence of logical fallacies.

Jan Ardena said:
All brains look and operate similarly, if not the same, yet there is so much variety, 100% variety with regard to expression. If 6.5 billion people played Dixie on the fiddle written down in music, not one would be absolutely identical. Why is that?
Because while everyones' brain may look and operate similarly they are in fact different - i.e. they are not identical to the nth degree.
If you ask a computer to play a piece of music it will do so the same way each time. And another computer built in the same way will also do so in the same way.
But no two brains are the same.
Hence interpretations will be different, and expression will be different for each.

This is not evidence of anything other than difference in genetic make-up of everyone on the planet.

Jan Ardena said:
I'm afraid you're quite wrong here, but i suppose you don't believe me right? This thread, as I said before, is atheist dogma, because a true scientific analasys would not conclude the souls nonexistence until a definition of the soul was known.
You still miss the entire point.
There IS a definition postulated by Boris. "Immaterial". It is what most of the discussion has been about.
That IS sufficient definition - even if just a part of a fuller definition - for Boris to make his post and come to his conclusions.

For example....
"If something is above 1000-degrees C - I can not touch it with my hand without my hand getting burnt."

I do not need to define what it is that my hand is touching.
I do not need to define anything else other than the fact it is over 1000-degrees C.

What is it with this that you do not grasp?
Please tell me so that we can clarify.

Jan Ardena said:
If all a scientist had, was that the soul is "immaterial", then he would conclude that he cannot conduct any kind of experiment. If we assume that Boris is an intelligent human being, he would know that his conclusion is not one based on science.
It IS based on Science and logic. You merely fail to understand it.

Jan Ardena said:
So either Boris has a definition of the soul, but somehow failed to give it, or he came to that conclusion because he believes it.
There is no evidence that Boris has a specific definition. He merely makes the postulate that "if the soul is immaterial"... etc
At no point does he even attempt to define the soul.
He is merely making the point that IF YOUR DEFINITION OF THE SOUL INCLUDES IMMATERIALITY THEN.... etc.

Back