Some atheists are just like religious fundamentalists

Because strict adherence to literal interpretations of religious texts is dangerous.

Postmodernist-style science critique would say similar things about strict literal interpretations of scientific texts.

I appreciate the thoughtful response. I've grown too used to the "Yeah, whatever" juvenilia of Wynn and the like. I'll try to raise my game.

You should rein in the emotional provocation and try to be thoughtful and friendly in all of your posts. At the same time, argue for your own points as best you can. You seem pretty smart, so let your persuasiveness carry the weight. You'll look a lot better doing it that way. (It's what they expect in universities and in professional writing.)

I see a problem here immediately, in that you seem to define "fundamentalist" two different ways.

More than two.

Yes, the word began as the name for a specific movement

The word originally referred to the ideas set forth in a set of pamphlets. Then it expanded to Christians who held views similar to those argued for in the pamphlets. Then it expanded out to members of other religions who held views in their own religions that are seemed analogous in some ways to the views of this particular sort of Christian. Then it broadened out to embrace the broader characteristics that all of these people seemed to share in common.

but that movement was defined by its literal interpretations of the bible. It is used in other contexts today, but the definition has not changed. What you're trying to do is change the very definition of the word to mean someone who is passionate about their beliefs, but even in a colloquial sense this is incorrect.

I'm just arguing that some (certainly not all) atheists resemble people who are labeled 'religious fundamentalists' in strong and relevant ways. I don't think that it's inaccurate to call these people 'atheist fundamentalists'.

But, oddly, you change the definition again later in the post, claiming that "fundamentalist" atheists are the ones who view Christianity in narrow terms.

Many atheists hold views about issues such as what "true Christianity" is, or about how the Bible should be read and interpreted, that are very similar to and often indistinguishable from the Christian fundamentalists' own views on the same issues.

The contrast concerning how these issues are understood is often between this kind of atheist and their fundamentalist enemies together on one hand, and theologically liberal Christians on the other.

This is a better try, but still wrong. Atheism has no principals, no tenants.

Then what do people like Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris fill all those books with? And why don't atheists simply fall on their knees and become Christian upon first encountering a preacher and hearing the gospel? (Wow! I never realized! Thanks for telling me!)

I think that many atheists would agree to many of the following propositions: God doesn't exist. Religion is false. Religious belief is nothing more than superstition. Religious belief has no factual or logical justification. Religious belief has been an obscurantist force in human history. Religion is fundamentally opposed to reason and to science. The world would be a much better place if religion no longer existed. And many more... They probably aren't all false. I'd agree with some of them myself. I'm just saying that they are positive beliefs and not just the absence of belief.

I don't really buy the "weak atheist" strategy that tries to argue that atheism is simply lack of belief in God, nothing more, and that it makes no positive claims. That seems a little disingenuous to me. The purpose of that claim seems to be to position atheism where it has no need to justify itself. It looks like a rhetorical attempt to claim immunity from the same kind of 'prove it!'-style epistemological challenges that atheists routinely address to religious believers.

This is why, despite being among the fastest-growing populations, they have no political influence. There is simply nothing to bind atheists together. Disbelief by itself is not a tenant, it's simply a status. Just as being a believer isn't enough to bring people together; there must also be some code or system, and it is by that which theists define themselves. Without these things, belief is little more than spiritualism. You've never met a fundamentalist spiritualist, have you?

But most atheists don't just lack belief in God. They hold views of their own about the existence of God and about those who believe in God.

We should get away from trying to make atheism fit into some dogmatic mold.

I agree with you on that. Of course, we probably should get away from trying to make Christianity fit some dogmatic mold as well. (That's what the fundamentalists are trying to do.) But having said that, I still think that it's true that some rather evangelical 'true believer' types in both the Christian and the atheist camps can plausibly be labeled 'fundamentalists' in their respective contexts.

I have heard the argument that so-called "strong atheists" (a term I have no patience for) are really anti-theists, but I don't think this designation fits.

I agree with you that strong atheists needn't be anti-theists. I'm a strong atheist myself in the sense that I'm reasonably certain that the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God doesn't exist. But I don't consider myself flatly anti-theist. Like you, I definitely take a dim view of certain expressions of theism though.

I'm not thrilled with some expressions of atheism either, which is part of my point in this thread. Atheist excesses and closed-mindedness don't seem as socially dangerous as Christian or Islamic fundamentalism at this point though.

Anti-theism implies a desire to rid the world of theism, which I don't think anyone would say they truly desired.

Many atheists appear to desire that. They would definitely prefer a world in which religion is just an extinct ancient atavism described in history books.

But, should anyone say they really want the eradication of religion, I suppose it would be acceptable to call them radical atheists. Certainly not fundamentalists, though.

We seem to agree on substance there, but disagree about which word to use to describe it. ('radical' vs 'fundamentalist') That's ok with me, I can live with that.

Postmodernist-style science critique would say similar things about strict literal interpretations of scientific texts.

You'll have to forgive my ignorance on some of these matters, but how does one take figurative or metaphorical interpretations of scientific texts?

You should rein in the emotional provocation and try to be thoughtful and friendly in all of your posts. At the same time, argue for your own points as best you can. You seem pretty smart, so let your persuasiveness carry the weight. You'll look a lot better doing it that way. (It's what they expect in universities and in professional writing.)

Well, thanks. I was trying to stay above the fray initially, but when the only sparring partners are Wynn and Reiku, the task becomes difficult. I've been away for about three years, primarily because I simply couldn't take the likes of Baron Max and Sandy anymore, and the moderators refused to do anything about them. Sandy's been banned since, and I think Baron eventually just stopped coming around, but they've been replaced by people just as intellectually bankrupt.

Granted, I'd take Wynn's elusiveness and Reiku's, well, you know, any day over Sandy and Baron's blatant homophobia and racism.

Anyway, I'm getting off-topic. Back to the post!

The word originally referred to the ideas set forth in a set of pamphlets. Then it expanded to Christians who held views similar to those argued for in the pamphlets. Then it expanded out to members of other religions who held views in their own religions that are seemed analogous in some ways to the views of this particular sort of Christian. Then it broadened out to embrace the broader characteristics that all of these people seemed to share in common.

Mmm, you had me up until the part I put in bold. I've never heard the word being used that broadly. Maybe I need to get out more? Are we talking colloquially? I mean, I've heard it applied improperly to groups like atheists or Muslims in general, but improper use doesn't define a word, does it?

I'm just arguing that some (certainly not all) atheists resemble people who are labeled 'religious fundamentalists' in strong and relevant ways. I don't think that it's inaccurate to call these people 'atheist fundamentalists'.

Well, okay, maybe we're getting closer to the problem; you say "people who are labeled" rather than "people who are." Does this mean you're referring to religious people who are incorrectly labeled fundamentalists? Because I can't think of any way an atheist could be a fundamentalist in any real sense of the word.

Many atheists hold views about issues such as what "true Christianity" is, or about how the Bible should be read and interpreted, that are very similar to and often indistinguishable from the Christian fundamentalists' own views on the same issues.

That's interesting. And true. I'm one of those people who believes that the bible was written literally, and other interpretations of it are not accurate. They're preferable, certainly to the fundamentalist interpretation, but not accurate.

But I don't believe in these texts, so how does my perception of them translate to my atheism? I would still believe there is no god no matter what color of flavor it was. Even if Jesus really was the loving quirky rabbi, I'd still think he was a fraud. I no more believe in reincarnation than I do in the God of the Old Testament.

Perhaps my interpretation of the bible is fundamentalist. But I can't figure how that makes me a fundamentalist atheist.

The contrast concerning how these issues are understood is often between this kind of atheist and their fundamentalist enemies together on one hand, and theologically liberal Christians on the other.

I'm not sure how you mean that (I've been up for twenty hours, so again, forgive me if I'm a little slow at the moment).

Then what do people like Dawkins, Hitchens and Harris fill all those books with? And why don't atheists simply fall on their knees and become Christian upon first encountering a preacher and hearing the gospel? (Wow! I never realized! Thanks for telling me!)

Because they are (and were, as is the case for poor Mr. Hitchens) sensible, reasonable, rational human beings. They can see the precursors to the Abrahamic texts in older civilizations, can see the plagiarisms of Christianity in Islam, know that the values held by those who started these faiths are not compatible with the values we hold today.

It's just observation, isn't it? I don't see where the principles become involved.

I think that many atheists would agree to many of the following propositions: God doesn't exist. Religion is false. Religious belief is nothing more than superstition. Religious belief has no factual or logical justification. Religious belief has been an obscurantist force in human history. Religion is fundamentally opposed to reason and to science. The world would be a much better place if religion no longer existed. And many more... They probably aren't all false. I'd agree with some of them myself. I'm just saying that they are positive beliefs and not just the absence of belief.

I'd agree with all but the part I put in bold. I believe religion does serve a purpose, and I wouldn't wish it gone from the people who actually need it. Not everyone can withstand, say, the death of a loved one, or the loss of a home, without some assurance from on high that everything's going to be okay. Even if I could wave a magic wand and make religion disappear, I wouldn't.

(I'd hack a few limbs off it, though.)

But I'm getting sidetracked. Yes, those statements are for the most part agreeable. But are these principals? Or are they simply factual observations? None of them (with the exception of the one I put in bold) are predictive statements. They don't make claims. They're just comments.

I don't really buy the "weak atheist" strategy that tries to argue that atheism is simply lack of belief in God, nothing more, and that it makes no positive claims. That seems a little disingenuous to me. The purpose of that claim seems to be to position atheism where it has no need to justify itself. It looks like a rhetorical attempt to claim immunity from the same kind of 'prove it!'-style epistemological challenges that atheists routinely address to religious believers.

I tend to agree with that, though I am guilty of it sometimes. I get caught up in the semantics of it, because atheism just means "not a theist." Hence, a-theist. But it does mean more than that, I know. It's implied, at least.

But most atheists don't just lack belief in God. They hold views of their own about the existence of God and about those who believe in God.

Okay, but as I said, neither is belief itself a tenet (though I did say "tenant," which I apologize for. I'm usually a mush bedder spellur than that) or a principal. If it were, Sunni and Shia Muslims wouldn't be trying to eradicate each other, Protestants and Catholics wouldn't blow themselves up in corner pubs, and Christians of all other denominations wouldn't find Mormons creepy.

I agree with you on that. Of course, we probably should get away from trying to make Christianity fit some dogmatic mold as well. (That's what the fundamentalists are trying to do.) But having said that, I still think that it's true that some rather evangelical 'true believer' types in both the Christian and the atheist camps can plausibly be labeled 'fundamentalists' in their respective contexts.

But who tries to make Christianity fit into that mold? Atheists aren't generalizing Christianity, they're taking aim at specific kinds of it. When I say "Christians trying to put religion in biology textbooks!" I'm not talking about all Christians, I'm talking about the one's trying to put religious propaganda in biology textbooks!

I agree with you that strong atheists needn't be anti-theists. I'm a strong atheist myself in the sense that I'm reasonably certain that the Judeo-Christian-Islamic God doesn't exist. But I don't consider myself flatly anti-theist. Like you, I definitely take a dim view of certain expressions of theism though.

I'm not thrilled with some expressions of atheism either, which is part of my point in this thread. Atheist excesses and closed-mindedness don't seem as socially dangerous as Christian or Islamic fundamentalism at this point though.

But as I said, I don't think the people you're talking about are atheists. I think they're anti-theists.

Many atheists appear to desire that. They would definitely prefer a world in which religion is just an extinct ancient atavism described in history books.

Okay, fair enough. But that's not what atheism is "about," because atheism isn't "about" anything. People who want religion eradicated are anti-theists, and those folks have some principles. Warped principles, perhaps, but principles nonetheless.

Calling those people atheists is just like calling a suicide bombers theists. Obviously the theism is implied, but clearly there's more to the story, and probably a better, more accurate category for them.

You don't look at OJ Simpson and say "What did you expect of a football player?" do you?

We seem to agree on substance there, but disagree about which word to use to describe it. ('radical' vs 'fundamentalist') That's ok with me, I can live with that.

Sadly, upon further review, I'm going to have rescind my offer. I believe anti-theist is a far better (and accurate, and existing) term for those kinds of people. There's nothing about atheism that says religion is bad. Atheism has no moral opinion of religion. An atheist might, but then he's not simply an atheist, but an anti-theist.

Last edited:
Oh, I did. I'm guessing you didn't? Or maybe you just didn't understand them?
:shrug:
I am guessing you didn't read further than "practical atheism"

IOW "theoretical atheism" is all about ideas that can be taken lightly, moderately or fundamentally (or anywhere in between)

eg : Theoretical (or theoric) atheism explicitly posits arguments against the existence of gods, responding to common theistic arguments such as the argument from design or Pascal's Wager. Theoretical atheism is mainly an ontology, precisely a physical ontology.

or

Epistemological atheism argues that people cannot know a God or determine the existence of a God. The foundation of epistemological atheism is agnosticism, which takes a variety of forms. In the philosophy of immanence, divinity is inseparable from the world itself, including a person's mind, and each person's consciousness is locked in the subject. According to this form of agnosticism, this limitation in perspective prevents any objective inference from belief in a god to assertions of its existence. The rationalistic agnosticism of Kant and the Enlightenment only accepts knowledge deduced with human rationality

or

Other arguments for atheism that can be classified as epistemological or ontological, including logical positivism and ignosticism, assert the meaninglessness or unintelligibility of basic terms such as "God" and statements such as "God is all-powerful." Theological noncognitivism holds that the statement "God exists" does not express a proposition, but is nonsensical or cognitively meaningless. It has been argued both ways as to whether such individuals can be classified into some form of atheism or agnosticism. Philosophers A. J. Ayer and Theodore M. Drange reject both categories, stating that both camps accept "God exists" as a proposition; they instead place noncognitivism in its own category

or

"Metaphysical atheism... includes all doctrines that hold to metaphysical monism (the homogeneity of reality). Metaphysical atheism may be either: a) absolute — an explicit denial of God's existence associated with materialistic monism (all materialistic trends, both in ancient and modern times); b) relative — the implicit denial of God in all philosophies that, while they accept the existence of an absolute, conceive of the absolute as not possessing any of the attributes proper to God: transcendence, a personal character or unity. Relative atheism is associated with idealistic monism (pantheism, panentheism, deism).

or

Logical atheism holds that the various conceptions of gods, such as the personal god of Christianity, are ascribed logically inconsistent qualities. Such atheists present deductive arguments against the existence of God, which assert the incompatibility between certain traits, such as perfection, creator-status, immutability, omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence, omnibenevolence, transcendence, personhood (a personal being), nonphysicality, justice, and mercy.

or

Philosophers such as Ludwig Feuerbach[74] and Sigmund Freud argued that God and other religious beliefs are human inventions, created to fulfill various psychological and emotional wants or needs. This is also a view of many Buddhists.[75] Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels, influenced by the work of Feuerbach, argued that belief in God and religion are social functions, used by those in power to oppress the working class.

or

Axiological, or constructive, atheism rejects the existence of gods in favor of a "higher absolute", such as humanity. This form of atheism favors humanity as the absolute source of ethics and values, and permits individuals to resolve moral problems without resorting to God. Marx and Freud used this argument to convey messages of liberation, full-development, and unfettered happiness.[64]

or

French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre identified himself as a representative of an "atheist existentialism"[80] concerned less with denying the existence of God than with establishing that "man needs ... to find himself again and to understand that nothing can save him from himself, not even a valid proof of the existence of God."[81] Sartre said a corollary of his atheism was that "if God does not exist, there is at least one being in whom existence precedes essence, a being who exists before he can be defined by any concept, and ... this being is man.

are all representative of ideas that can be taken lightly, moderately or in a radically fundamental manner.

To suggest otherwise is simply a facet of fundamental atheism of the metaphysical variety (ie to suggest that the atheist idea is so true and objective that it cannot be pinned to any ethical/philosophical agenda since that would necessarily taint it with subjective undertones)

""The fanatical atheists, are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who--in their grudge against traditional religion as the 'opium of the masses'-- cannot hear the music of the spheres"
-Einstein

:eek:

I am guessing you didn't read further than "practical atheism"

IOW "theoretical atheism" is all about ideas that can be taken lightly, moderately or fundamentally (or anywhere in between)

To suggest otherwise is simply a facet of fundamental atheism of the metaphysical variety (ie to suggest that the atheist idea is so true and objective that it cannot be pinned to any ethical/philosophical agenda since that would necessarily taint it with subjective undertones)

That's nonsense. You're talking about logical arguments against the existence of God, nothing more. You just want to put the "fundamentalist" tag on it because you like to paint atheism as a form of religion. That's all it is. Your argument holds no water.

""The fanatical atheists, are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who--in their grudge against traditional religion as the 'opium of the masses'-- cannot hear the music of the spheres"
-Einstein

:eek:

I suppose you're one of those people who thinks Einstein was a theist?

One needn't be a theist, nor need one believe that Einstein was a theist,
to appreciate what he says there -

"The fanatical atheists, are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who--in their grudge against traditional religion as the 'opium of the masses'-- cannot hear the music of the spheres."
-Einstein

One needn't be a theist, nor need one believe that Einstein was a theist,
to appreciate what he says there -

"The fanatical atheists, are like slaves who are still feeling the weight of their chains which they have thrown off after hard struggle. They are creatures who--in their grudge against traditional religion as the 'opium of the masses'-- cannot hear the music of the spheres."
-Einstein

And one doesn't have be a "fanatical atheist" to know he was off the mark here.

actually one would have to be a fanatical atheist to dismiss it

No

I am one of those persons who think that even Einstein encountered radical atheists

That's nonsense. You're talking about logical arguments against the existence of God, nothing more. You just want to put the "fundamentalist" tag on it because you like to paint atheism as a form of religion. That's all it is. Your argument holds no water.
Actually I am talking about ideas ... specifically ideas about the validity of atheism ... and specifically how its the nature of an idea (any idea) to be taken lightly, moderately or in a fundamental manner.

The only way you can worm out of it is to suggest that atheism is so purely objective and true that it cannot be coined as a mere "idea" ... but then this can easily be classified as a radically fundamental take on metaphysical atheism so it would completely defeat your purpose.

But no doubt you missed this because you didn't read the bit where i explained all this at the bottom of the last post ... much like you didn't read the bit at the bottom of the link that explains how this + fundamentalism = fundamental atheism

Read it again:

-Einstein

@LG --

I call it like I see it. Seems like you, Wynn, and JDawg are merely having one giant penis measuring contest. Of course, since your and Wynn's posts seem to be little more than trolling, I think that JDawg can be forgiven for participating, we all like to feed trolls once in a while.

@LG --

I call it like I see it. Seems like you, Wynn, and JDawg are merely having one giant penis measuring contest. Of course, since your and Wynn's posts seem to be little more than trolling, I think that JDawg can be forgiven for participating, we all like to feed trolls once in a while.
Frankly that analysis tends to summarize your approach to anything that challenges your values.

How was that a challenge? I've displayed the ability to debate you with half my brain tied behind my back time and again. Quite frankly your constant and poor attempts at apologetics are boring, I have better uses of my time. Like masturbating or pounding nails into my face.

How was that a challenge? I've displayed the ability to debate you with half my brain tied behind my back time and again. Quite frankly your constant and poor attempts at apologetics are boring, I have better uses of my time. Like masturbating or pounding nails into my face.

Its not a challenge

Its a clear indication how you generically respond to challenges to your values by going on an egotistical tirade of hyperbole (which you are doing yet again btw ...)

IOW your model is to venture a hazy contribution to a thread topic. When the structure falls away you then fall back name slinging match exclusively about how good you are and how bad your opponents are

... which, ironically, is precisely how you entered this thread

Back