So says the pastor's daughter

When I was a kid, my mom joined a "Hobby Club" in which wives would gather and make cheap tchotchke while the men sat around, quaffed some beer, and shot the shit. I mean, there was the cotton-ball snowmen, the hat boxes with cheap paisley fabric hot-glued to the outside with a bit of lace around the top edge ... I think the best work she ever did in that group was the quasi-batik of our house that looked only mildly less awkward than the massive Reynolds canvas we had hanging by the stairs.

I'm of the opinion that undertaking a religious faith is a bit different from joining a hobby club. Or a political party. Or a college fraternity. Or the goddamn Babysitters' Club.

Now, I recognize that some people might disagree with this, and presume religious faith to have no greater implications than being on the chess team.

But I must respectfully disagree with such shallow outlooks; they are simply dysfunctional.
I think that's their point. Develop an eye for fault and you can turn any "ism" into an upturned piss pot

If you say so

LightGigantic said:

I think that's their point. Develop an eye for fault and you can turn any "ism" into an upturned piss pot

In this case, I'll wait for their responses, as my first instinct is to disagree.

Tell me, LG, are people merely statistics? Blips on a computer screen? Marbles in a box waiting to be arranged according to size, color, and other attributes?

• Oh holy shit! My cotton-ball snowman is slightly lopsided! It's the end of the world!

• Oh, dear. Imagine that: I'm going to hell for all eternity.​

Yeah. These are the same. The ideas will affect any given individual the same way.

I mean, after all, neither a political party nor hobby club have anything to do with reality, right? I mean, just like, say, Christianity, all the members are looking forward to the afterlife, right?

I know it's a horrible arrogance of mine, but I just don't see the idea of an ugly, fabric-wrapped hat box as being on par with spending eternity in Hell.

But, hey, I know you're of faith, so I'll let you have this one. After all, if religious people want to denigrate their religious faith, that's up to them.

In this case, I'll wait for their responses, as my first instinct is to disagree.

Tell me, LG, are people merely statistics? Blips on a computer screen? Marbles in a box waiting to be arranged according to size, color, and other attributes?

• Oh holy shit! My cotton-ball snowman is slightly lopsided! It's the end of the world!

and is this an essential documentation of the case for theism, or a precise example of your eye for fault?

Judge a genre by its worst or most absurd example and you can sink anything.

2732-1.jpg

What's the track list

LightGigantic said:

and is this an essential documentation of the case for theism, or a precise example of your eye for fault?

Could be an analysis of why Christians are finding their evangelism a harder and harder sell.

Judge a genre by its worst or most absurd example and you can sink anything.

Hardly the worst. Hardly the most absurd.

Anyway, what's the track list for Songs to Make Dogs Happy?

While I appreciate all the buzz about my blog, I truly hate religious debates involving people that have no intention of changing their views. I am "Sims." I agree mostly with one of the posts about being born into a religious community, and being in dirty water but not actually the dirty one. As far as being a witch, that I am not. As far as not being a believer that is incorrect. I wrote a response blog not long after this post if anyone cares. Now I know that by saying I am a Christian it is going to rain fire, but hey I am used to that.

Well being abused for being a Christian is par for the cource in here. If you are a Christian and are not getting abused in a forum like this then it's a bad sign.

Maybe you would like to post your follow up Blog here.

But i will say again some of that blog i reviewd from you was toxic and full of hatered for ones fellow man. You threatened to read emails and expose people personal lives and to use your influance with your pastor dad to undermine people.

Jesus said:

1 John 4
20 If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

So i do not take back what i said.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Yeah. These are the same. The ideas will affect any given individual the same way.

I mean, after all, neither a political party nor hobby club have anything to do with reality, right? I mean, just like, say, Christianity, all the members are looking forward to the afterlife, right?

I know it's a horrible arrogance of mine, but I just don't see the idea of an ugly, fabric-wrapped hat box as being on par with spending eternity in Hell.

But, hey, I know you're of faith, so I'll let you have this one. After all, if religious people want to denigrate their religious faith, that's up to them.

It seems to me, Tiassa, that the point you are making is that religion should be something central and important in their lives, that people should be serious about their religion.
And also that people to whom their religion is important should manifest a considerable degree of common decency and morality.

Am I understanding you correctly?

Underlying presuppositions

Signal said:

Am I understanding you correctly?

These are underlying presuppositions; the latter is not so much about decency, though, as it is about consistency.

The general point is that as Christianity faces any number of challenges, and while some might cry foul and claim persecution, it seems—in the U.S., at least—a matter of self-inflicted damage.

Try to sell me a product that doesn't work. Am I, knowing it doesn't work, really going to buy it?

After all, where have we heard the phrase, "There is no morality without God"?

I mean, the preacher's daughter is a fairly minor case. She's got nothing on the Catholic priests, the youth pastors in various churches across the nation, Republican moralists who either spend public funds visiting their mistress or use their parents' money and their own political influence to pay off their lover's spouse, medical doctors contriving fake diagnoses by videotape in order to stage a public orgy over a dead woman, blaming gays for Hurricane Katrina or feminists for 9/11, a genocidal pastor serving as spiritual advisor to a presidential campaign, bigotry advocates, protests of Harry Potter, ad nauseam.

Judging by its public face, one might wonder if Christianity in the United States hasn't gone insane.

Or around the world, too. For instance, a man rapes his nine year old daughter, and actually knocks her up with twins. Multiple doctors conclude the pregnancy will kill the girl, so they perform an abortion. The Catholic Church excommunicates the doctors and the victim's mother, but the bishops hope to redeem the rapist.

Maybe the guy in Florida who killed his wife and five children, and now hopes to be executed as quickly as possible so he can get to Heaven.

Compared to that, of course, one might wonder why anyone would have a problem with dressing up teenagers in diapers for a church function.

One might say, "I want to be like them? Really?" I mean, sure, the Argentine mistress sounds fun, and over half the respondents to a Sciforums poll wish they could have dressed up in a diaper for church when they were fourteen, but, you know ... it's a dicey proposition. I mean, the diaper bit is probably the least embarrassing of the list.

Even I'm not going to be snorting meth out of a gay hooker's ass anytime in the foreseeable future, and I've never been a professional moralist denouncing homosexuals.

People see the flock wallowing in the immorality that God is supposed to chase away; they see Christians embarrassing themselves publicly on a regular basis; they see hatred and bigotry and petty strife. Is it worth the headache? I mean, the only thing in it is a promise that cannot be demonstrated: You'll get what's coming to you after you die.

It's a hard sell. And they're not making it any easier for themselves.

And?

Signal said:

Okay. So?

And? I mean, what are you looking for here?

The phrase, "Nobody says you have to care," comes to mind, but I'm not sure it's the right thing in this case.

Well being abused for being a Christian is par for the cource in here. If you are a Christian and are not getting abused in a forum like this then it's a bad sign.

The false accuser of the brethren cries he’s been victimized. The fabrications found in religious text causing the invention of the word sin has been exposed and nowadays noted as a lie from the devil. The bible and religious text in general is toxic and full of hatred toward one’s fellow man, falsely accusing and using the sin lie as a weapon.

The devil offers the most despicable and evil thing known to man, a human sacrifice to make amends, saying that wicked act can clear up the lie called sin.

Last edited:
And? I mean, what are you looking for here?

The phrase, "Nobody says you have to care," comes to mind, but I'm not sure it's the right thing in this case.

I meant - what are you trying to accomplish by pointing out that some Christians are not making it any easier for themselves?

I think it is fairly obvious that some of the behavior of Christians is not working in their favor. I thought that you have pointed this out for some purpose, but which I have so far failed to see stated.

(Insert Title Here)

Signal said:

I meant - what are you trying to accomplish by pointing out that some Christians are not making it any easier for themselves?

There is no single specific goal. On the one hand, Christians won't be so annoying to other people. To the other, other people won't be so annoying and scary to Christians.

And those outcomes help everybody.

That's the simple version.

Adstar,

I agree for anyone that holds religious beliefs this is a very dangerous place. As far as posting scripture that would hold me accountable to some sort of sin displayed in my blog it is vacation bible school material. Most anything said in the word of God would go against what I have said. That I do not deny. I am not sure what you are trying to prove really. That I was wrong? I would say I was. The things I said were in response to a much more hateful thing done to my family at the time, and while they were not correct they were what I was feeling. It was also many years ago, I had just posted it to a new blog online. Again, I am not sure what you are trying to prove. If you want to say I am not a christian because I have done wrong things in my past then you my friend have misunderstood forgiveness and what it means to repent. Do I feel the same way I was feeling when I wrote the blog? Of course not, that was long ago. In the end there is no winning with raging religious fighters whether for or against, but understanding conversation does exist if you are willing.

Welcome, madam

Welcome to our humble bedlam, Ms. Sims. I hadn't intended to bait you out with this thread, but we are certainly happy you are here. In truth, I was so caught up in the other parts of the discussion I apparently blew right by your arrival. My apologies for that.

Certainly, we hope you enjoy your time with us.

In the meantime, it seems a peculiar human struggle, maintaining faith in the face of petty vitriol and confusion.

Meanwhile, as you have not reached the twenty-post threshold for including links, is it fair to say that this is the response post you mentioned? Correct me, of course, if that's the wrong one.

It's there for whoever wants it; I've given it a brief perusal, will probably have to read through it again, but I have no critique to offer at this time.

In truth, I only picked that up because you posted a brief comment on my blog—the post about noisy coitus—and we have a discussion going here about that one, too, over in EM&J, although it's not generated a whole lot of buzz (all of six responses). But yours was a fascinating exposition; we must remember that we are all human, and I thank you for that vivid reminder.

Welcome to Sciforums.

The false accuser of the brethren cries he’s been victimized.

I am not an accuser of Brethren. Tell me who is a Brethren to me in here?
Your not,
Atheists are not.

Do i have any Brethren in here?

The fabrications found in religious text causing the invention of the word sin has been exposed and nowadays noted as a lie from the devil. The bible and religious text in general is toxic and full of hatred toward one’s fellow man, falsely accusing and using the sin lie as a weapon.

You say the scriptures are inspired by the devil. Your eternal destination sits on being correct in this judgement. Because i believe the Scriptures where inspired by the Holy Spirit.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is when you call the Holy Spirit the devil.

You have just Blasphemed the Holy Spirit. And there is no forgiveness for such an act. You’re eternally cursed.

The devil offers the most despicable and evil thing known to man, a human sacrifice to make amends, saying that wicked act can clear up the lie called sin.

Isaiah 5
20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;

I've always wondered what it would take to be a pastor..
it seems to me that a pastor HAS to appear perfect..(morally)
it also seems to me that the pastor has ALOT of pressure not to make mistakes,or to appear lacking in conviction..(change his mind)
IOW for a pastor to show his own humanity would be some kind of sin..
I know my own personal beliefs are different than most theist, i tend to shy away from any pastor that can't or won't admit to his own falability..to expect any pastor to be morally perfect in my opinion means you are just setting him up to fail in your expectations of who he should be...

Pastors are people too and are just as suceptible to their own humanity as we are..they are just not allowed to show it..if they do they are condemed for being morally lacking....or ..when a pastor makes a mistake the whole religion gets the credit for his mistake..or worse yet..GOD gets blamed for it..

so who should get the blame for it?
us the congregation for imposing our own expectations onto this man who is just trying to teach us a better way of doing things..
speaking of which..there is also an element of the pot calling the kettle black..calling a pastor hippocritical in his beliefs when, we are the ones that are quick to point the finger when a pastor fails, what happend to all that learning they did while they were there? did they forget that we are suppose to forgive?

anyway..i think i can be done with this rant..

Isaiah 5
20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light, and light for darkness;

isn't there a passage that says something about everything right becomes wrong and everything wrong becomes right?
or is that a misinterpretation of that verse?

I am not an accuser of Brethren.

You are most certainly partnered up with devil and in the devils camp. Your evilness dwells within you and is apparent by your hatred and bigotry and false accusations based in lies and deceit. Your evil curses shall consume you.

Back