Show that there is *religiously* motivated violence

And I suppose I have to accept your claim that the meaning of jihad as religious war isn't anachronistic without proof? No thank you. :shrug:

Last edited:
Actually in the holy Qur'an itself is an explicit, unambiguous verse that reads There's no compulsion in religion

Aaactually that verse reads there's no compulsion in religion for the right path is distinct from error. I expect it's interpreted by Salafists, conservatives and reactionaries to mean that no one can possibly be compulsed to believe the truth, and the penalties for apostacy in Islamic nations would seem to support this.

and jihad is about struggling with one's own ego for God in it's universal meaning the jihad that you're speaking of is probably over for more than a thousand years when the Muslim community needed to be protected from being wiped out.

But which in fact has also been an offensive rallying cry for the same period of time. I appreciate that you, personally, don't see it that way, but it is what it is.

A religion does not need to recognize itself only people who follow it need to recognize it those who do not recognize it do not recognize it.

That's nice as an ideal, but isn't so in practice in a number of places. It's the basis of religious oppression, really.

As for Judaism calling for Jews to take back the holy land I think that's another story and may involve ancient political agenda.

In what way does it differ from the above, if it does?

As you guys keep shifting the goalposts, define ''religion'', then we'll
take it from theire.

jan.

(You, who dynamited the goal posts whenever I asked for a definition.)

At least you get goalposts.

Every time I approach the field, you guys take your ball and run home. :bawl:

How about the dictionary.com definition of religion:

1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

3. the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.

4. the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.

5. the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

Jan Ardena:

If religion is performed by the individual, then that suggests that each individual has his own idea of what the "religion" prescribes.

To you, maybe.

Who else's opinions am I supposed to hold?

Why would you regard this as ''religiously motivated'' as opposed to Biblically motivated?

What's the difference?

One is ''religiously motivated'' and the other is ''Biblically motivated''.

A non-answer from you. Unable or unwilling to answer. As I expected.

Who said anyting about ''belief''?

I'll ignore whatever tangent this is supposed to take us to.

[quite]Why do you think that "God made me do it" would get anybody a better sentence?

Saying God, the Devil, an Angel, my dead gran, etc.. made me slaughter my whole family can be classed as insane, and being insane can secure a better sentence, treatment, or even get you off.[/quote]

You think it is better to be locked up in a secure facility for the mentally insane for an indeterminate time than to have a set term in prison? Ok then.

The bible is equivocal on the whole "thou shalt not kill" thing.

No it's not. It means what it says. No interpretation necessary.

You need to put the sentence you quoted here together with the one that immediately followed it and which proves my point.

God does lots of things in the Bible, but it doesn't mean we try to follow them.

No? What was all that "Follow my commandments" stuff you quoted about then?

You can't have it both ways.

If this murderer thinks he is God, then he is his own religion. Atheism.

You're obviously quite mixed up. Atheism isn't a religion. Also, who mentioned anybody thinking he is God?

You either are worshipfull of God, or you aren't.
One cannot be one thing, while simultaneosly being another thing.

A non sequitur from you. Relevance: none.

One is religious if one is concerned with worship of a deity, the precepts of religion and so on. Staying within somebody's rules isn't a requirement.

Yeah! Like that makes any sense James.

It made sense to the people who wrote the dictionaries I consulted. Check it out for yourself.

My friend works in the courts, and he's never heard of such pleas. Seems strange that these pleas only surface in cases where a big sentence
can be administered, as opposed to $100 fines.

Have you considered that maybe in such cases offenders do not feel it to be as important to disclose their religious motivations?

---

Really, Jan, this is quite a poor showing from you.

Do you have any substantive, on-topic arguments you wish to make, or do you plan to continue to try to track the discussion onto irrelevant tangents and generally to divert attention away from religious violence?

what is it ok to pray for? do you even believe in prayer?

in any case, that sounds illogical. if one maintains god can conquer illness, if one believes in the power of ritual and prayer, there seems to be nothing inconsistent about holding a belief that faith and prayer can cure illness. you do not have to be a psychopath to connect those dots. one does not have to distort or misread scripture to come to such a conclusion

what i see is an after the fact rationalization. unanswered prayers leads you to believe god is not a vending machine. you have downgraded god

this upsets me

/upset

From what I understood, one of the core items of religion is to thank God for the blessings one has received (such blessings are, notably, health and wealth).

To ask for blessings with an attitude of entitlement goes against the spirit of gratitude.

oh yeah?
eyeball the topic title
you set up a contest and throw down the gauntlet

If I intended a debate, I would post the topic in the debate forum.

jihad: noun 1. a holy war undertaken as a sacred duty by Muslims.

Debate over.

Again.

It's about discussing bollocks when the discussion digresses into absurd apologetics at every turn.

Why do you think this is a debate?

And why do you think it is a debate between "apologists" and their opponents?

It's not clear why some posters are making it into that.

- - -

Some people make the claim that there is "religiously motivated violence," but when asked, refuse to show what exactly was religious about it, other than the name, or the fact that the perpetrators had ecclesiastical titles or were members of religious organizations.
As if names or formal affiliations would be all there is to religion.

Last edited:
i'll quote what i find relevant.....
*"We tried to fight the devil, but in the end the devil won," Herbert Schaible told homicide detectives in a statement read to the jury during the trial, which began Tuesday.

*Herbert, 42, teaches at a school run by the couple's church, First Century Gospel Church, and Catherine, 41, is a stay-at-home mother.

*The church states on its website that it does not believe God permits sickness or diseases but instead that anything bad is caused by sin and the devil.

*Herbert and Catherine Schaible told police and a city social worker shortly after Kent died on Jan. 24, 2009, that they had prayed for his recovery for about 10 days rather than seek medical help because of their religious beliefs.

*First Century Gospel Church preaches a literal reliance on faith and prayer to heal, and cites such scriptural bases as Abraham's faith in God when he offered to sacrifice his son Isaac. While the church considers members who obtain medical care to have sinned, it does not shun those who see a doctor.According to testimony, the church permits dental care, such as cleanings and filling cavities, and does not proscribe modern inventions such as personal computers.The church's teaching has periodically put it at odds with civil authorities - notably in 1991, when eight children died in a measles epidemic. Their parents were members of either First Century Gospel Church or the nearby Faith Tabernacle of Nicetown, another congregation that espouses faith healing.​
..and you can perhaps elaborate on the difficulties of discernment

I'm not sure what is religious about their beliefs, other than the name.
Perhaps someone can elaborate.

Like I said earlier -
From what I understood, one of the core items of religion is to thank God for the blessings one has received (such blessings are, notably, health and wealth).
To ask for blessings with an attitude of entitlement goes against the spirit of gratitude.

it appears the Schaibles do too. on principle and in practice. their church cites this.....

#Believing faith in the atonement work of Jesus includes trusting God for healing without medicine, for divine protection without devices, and for daily needs without laid-up money. Acts 3:16 “By faith in the name of Jesus, this man whom you see and know was made strong. It is Jesus’ name and the faith that comes through him that has given this complete healing to him.” When we worship and serve God, He heals us of illness Exodus 23:25.​
...as a basis for that belief

Exodus 15:26: "...If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the LORD thy God, and wilt do that which is right in his sight, and wilt give ear to his commandments, and keep all his statutes, I will put none of these diseases upon thee, which I have brought upon the Egyptians: for I am the LORD that healeth thee." (KJV)

Sure. But to think of oneself as having perfectly done "that which is right in God's sight" - that seems quite presumptuous to me.

From what I understood, the idea is to do one's best, and leave the result up to God.

what is it ok to pray for? do you even believe in prayer?

I do believe in prayer, and I believe that one ought to pray to become aligned with God's will:
"Dear Lord, please engage me in Your service."

Turning to God with the request "God, do this for me" or something to the effect of "God, I am going to do this in Your name, as a service to You, and You better be happy with it"
is not in the spirit of service to God.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/religion

Definition #1 sounds reasonable to me.

a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

I find this to be a rather abstract definition. Perhaps on topic, but abstract.
It seems more like a legal, anthropological or culturological definition of religion, but hardly one that can be of much use in a detailed discussion on religion.

James R -

James R said:
If religion is performed by the individual, then that suggests that each individual has his own idea of what the "religion" prescribes.

To you, maybe.

For example, a mathematical calculation is something an individual performs by himself. But this doesn't mean that anything that person calculates is line with mathematical principles or can be considered mathematical.

People have their own ideas of what religion is, but this doesn't automatically mean that those ideas are actually religious; they may be "religious" even only in a vague, political sense, but not in the sense as understood by advanced religious practitioners.

James R said:
Or, maybe this murderer misinterpreted the bible. That would not negate his religious motivation.

An interpretation of a text doesn't automatically place it into the same category as the text.

An interpretation of a scientific text is not automatically scientific.

An interpretation of a religious text is not automatically religious.

One is religious if one is concerned with worship of a deity, the precepts of religion and so on.
Staying within somebody's rules isn't a requirement.

Keeping in line with the precepts of religion is an act of "staying within somebody's rules."

Why do you think this is a debate?

And why do you think it is a debate between "apologists" and their opponents?

It's not clear why some posters are making it into that.

Well, I thought it rather had to do with this post:

Simple:

There is all that talk about how religion motivates people to be violent and abusive.

Show that the violence is indeed religiously motivated - and not perhaps politically, economically, a mistake etc.

Some people make the claim that there is "religiously motivated violence," but when asked, refuse to show what exactly was religious about it, other than the name, or the fact that the perpetrators had ecclesiastical titles or were members of religious organizations.

That is strange indeed. Personally, I mentioned the correspondence between the sociological tenets of scripture and religious violence. I suppose the perpetrators would also have to be members of religious organizations. I suppose it would be unusual in the extreme to have an orthodox Hindu slay a homosexual person out of sympathy for the same instructions in Leviticus.

I find this to be a rather abstract definition. Perhaps on topic, but abstract.
It seems more like a legal, anthropological or culturological definition of religion, but hardly one that can be of much use in a detailed discussion on religion.
Being an outsider looking in, a non-believer if you will, this describes religion as I see it fairly well.

When I was a child, we attended church regularly. It was a weekly social outing. As I grew into a teenager, I saw how it could be used for social (as well as political) work. I also saw the subtle (and not so subtle) brainwashing and control aspects it could be used for. An odd blend of love & compassion mixed with bigotry & prejudice.

The contradictions were easily explained when I realized that there was no divine guidance involved, it is simply a tool humans have developed.

Yeah, the dictionary definition fits my personal observations.

Being an outsider looking in, a non-believer if you will, this describes religion as I see it fairly well.

When I was a child, we attended church regularly. It was a weekly social outing. As I grew into a teenager, I saw how it could be used for social (as well as political) work. I also saw the subtle (and not so subtle) brainwashing and control aspects it could be used for. An odd blend of love & compassion mixed with bigotry & prejudice.

The contradictions were easily explained when I realized that there was no divine guidance involved, it is simply a tool humans have developed.

An odd blend indeed. And that bigotry and overt prejudice is where the mindset begins, which tolerates (or even acts on) ideas of violence.

While the believers in the house would like to cut back on the definitions ("motivated" becomes impossible to prove since you can't actually know what the violent person was thinking), I would want to see the pendulum to swing the other way, to include violent ideation as a form of violence.

Re bolded part - that implies you believe to have divine powers yourself - namely that you are at least omniscient.

:shrug:

An odd blend indeed. And that bigotry and overt prejudice is where the mindset begins, which tolerates (or even acts on) ideas of violence.

While the believers in the house would like to cut back on the definitions ("motivated" becomes impossible to prove since you can't actually know what the violent person was thinking), I would want to see the pendulum to swing the other way, to include violent ideation as a form of violence.

Earlier on, the point has been made several times that there is sometimes violence committed in the name of religion. That doesn't automatically mean that it was religiously motivated.

Well, I thought it rather had to do with this post:

:confused:

Although I guess if you come into this forum with the mind "Let's fight!" then that OP and many others will indeed appear as inviting a debate to you.

That is strange indeed. Personally, I mentioned the correspondence between the sociological tenets of scripture and religious violence. I suppose the perpetrators would also have to be members of religious organizations. I suppose it would be unusual in the extreme to have an orthodox Hindu slay a homosexual person out of sympathy for the same instructions in Leviticus.

Then what is religious about killing homosexuals?
Can you explain?

Back