Should you tell them they are about to die?

Would you tell then they were about to die?

• Yes I woudl tell them ASAP

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No I would maintain their ignorance

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Really great science fiction that takes place in deep future.

Arakis.. :)

-----------
On the topic: Of course, so they can get psychologically ready for death.

Having been present when a dear loved one was advised that he would not live to see the next day and seeing the devastation on his face until he took his last breath later on that afternoon, I would not tell the people they were about to die.

We can easily say that yes if we have such and such many hours to live we'd do this and that... but the reality is vastly different.

One of the things I wanted to explore was the notion that every individual has the right to know that they are about to die.

Do you think people have the right to know and do you think they also have the right to react as they and only they can decide?
Would this be a part of the decision making process, this notion that an individual has a right, in circumstances like proposed, to know?

In Latvia that's a part of the Medical law, i.e., doctor is obliged to tell the patient his real condition.
As a law student I see it as a good thing because then the human has chance to sort out his legal matters.
And as a human (as said previously) I think it's a good idea so that the individual has the chance to get psychologically ready for it. I don't know.. for each his own.. meditation, prayer, a goodbye call to a friend or something like that.

In Latvia that's a part of the Medical law, i.e., doctor is obliged to tell the patient his real condition.
As a law student I see it as a good thing because then the human has chance to sort out his legal matters.
And as a human (as said previously) I think it's a good idea so that the individual has the chance to get psychologically ready for it. I don't know.. for each his own.. meditation, prayer, a goodbye call to a friend or something like that.
Interesting.......
If it was a legal requirement that the news be told then the decision process is no longer an issue. The law being assumed to be something that all who participate in that society have given implied and in some cases direct consent to.

By making it legal limits the emotional aspect. A sort of detachment can be allowed for. [ self responsibility transfered to state/ global responsibility]
The law being a defacto legal guardian so to speak.

Quantum Quack said:
Interesting.......
If it was a legal requirement that the news be told then the decision process is no longer an issue. The law being assumed to be something that all who participate in that society have given implied and in some cases direct consent to.
1.) This is not a medical condition disclosure.
2.) Who is going to prosecute tomorrow?

This is not a medical condition disclosure.
When there is no law on something one usually looks for analogous regulations in other laws, called implementation of the spirit of the law not the letter of it.
Except for the criminal law of course.

Who is going to prosecute tomorrow?
In a well developed society law isn't just about prosecution, it is about giving a good advice.
Sadly politics and polititians making laws in their own interests and not those of the society as a whole turn this good principle into idealism.

When there is no law on something one usually looks for analogous regulations in other laws, called implementation of the spirit of the law not the letter of it.
Except for the criminal law of course.

In a well developed society law isn't just about prosecution, it is about giving a good advice.
Sadly politics and polititians making laws in their own interests and not those of the society as a whole turn this good principle into idealism.
I realize both of the above.
I think it would be a stretch to say the least to try and apply a medical condition disclosure law to complete devistation of the world's population.
The point of the law, in a great degree, is to maintain civil order.
There are quite a few people, I would wager, that would agree with those on this thread that the best way to keep civil order would be to NOT tell anyone.
Also, we are talking about him writing a realistic story, not idealistic.
The realistic reason most people comply with laws is fear of prosecution.
Everyone will be dead tomorrow, including the hypothetical leader -there are no consequences in that vain.

*Sigh...*

Ah the sweet innocent ideals of the law student. How I remember those days fondly..

*Looks at reality and shudders with revulsion...*

So, if everyone dies tomorrow, why worry about civil order? :D
Because of those wonderful ideals of good advice and sound leadership and stuff you mentioned. :D

I'm a rational idealist. And not idealistic as a law student, that's only a theory of how it should be.
If noone does anything nothing happens.
Of course there has to be a different society first. A good law in a primitive society is useless.
Alas society can be changed, of course that's not a task for one human and one lifetime. The tools and knowledge there is. But that's another topic.

one_raven said:
Because of those wonderful ideals of good advice and sound leadership and stuff you mentioned. :D
I think one last party before the end is an excellent advice. :D :m:

Quantum Quack said:
One of the things I wanted to explore was the notion that every individual has the right to know that they are about to die.

Do you think people have the right to know and do you think they also have the right to react as they and only they can decide?
Would this be a part of the decision making process, this notion that an individual has a right, in circumstances like proposed, to know?

You have right to know, but I don't have the duty to inform. If you're talking about hte leader, then it will depend on the wish of the people who brought the leader to power, or on the laws of the place. if it is a dictator, then he can do whatever he pleases, and has no duty. If you just a citizen who knows about this, then you have no duty at all to inform anyone. A beggar has a right to live. But it is not your duty to feed him. Same applies here.

Wow...... Very well said....

Quantum Quack said:
Scenario:
You are the president of a world community.
Total population under your leadership is over 6 billion.
You have found out from a team of scientist that the entire plant was to explode due to an anomally at it's core in 24 hours. This is absolutely certain and only you and the team of loyal scientists know of this pending calamity.
There will be no evidence of the pending explosion....it will be sudden and complete
There is absolutely nothing that can be done to save any one.
You have 24 hours to go before you yourself face extinction.
edit: No Media leaks are possible.

The population is typically human as per current standards.

The question:
Do you tell the worlds population they will be dead in 24 hours from now? Or do you keep the population in ignorance?

What reasoning would you use to support your decision?

Care to discuss?

I board a spaceship and get the fuck outta dodge...and leave everyone to fend for themselves. Not my concern.

Back