Should you tell them they are about to die?

Would you tell then they were about to die?

• Yes I woudl tell them ASAP

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • No I would maintain their ignorance

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Don't know

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i wouldn't rape. but i sure would loot if there was something in wanted for my last hours

I would tell them. That would give them the opportunity to live their lives to the fullest.... at least for one day....

Lots of couples would be having sex... that's for sure...... :D

Yaba Daba :m:

Quantum Quack said:
It is interesting for me to see that so many would expect that knowing that you are going to die would tear down all our self restraint and self inhibitions. Leading to rape and looting mahem etc.

Would you rape and pillage and generate chaos if you knew you were going to die in 24 hours?
Would only knowing 1 hour was left be any different?

Well, most people live shitty lives(in hopes of a future that would never come :p ), and this'll be the 24hr upportunity to make up for it, both in positive and negative ways. I'm not sure why anyone would start raping/killing, but I have no doubt that it'll happen.

But I started thinking about the guy who's trying to keep order. Like a police officer, he would point and direct and club people over the head. That image, and the thought that this guy only has another 24hrs to order people around seemed rediculously funny to me.. Reminded me of a drugged paranoid friends of mine. That's why I asked "would anything still matter?"

Personally, I'd be thankful for the upportunity to see it all end.

Hi Quantum,
I wouldn't want to know if there was a 100% chance humankind wouldn't survive in 24 hours.
If we were given a week to prepare, I would want to be told so that I could buy sleeping pills for all my family and pets, and take a more peaceful way out.
PS. What a scary subject. :(

When I first read this My reply was pretty much identical to this..
Baron Max said:
I don't see how you can advocate NOT telling the people? I mean, if you do, then aren't you also giving justification for politicians to keep OTHER things from people whenever THEY decide? See? Right now, if we catch politicians lying to us, we all go into horrid fits of rage .....yet some of you are advocating exactly that, aren't you. Strange, huh?

As to rampage and killing and looting and rape and ....., so what? All of the people will be dead in a few hours, what difference does it make?
The I read this, and it made me reconsider.
alain said:
i would tell people that there was a fair chance of the event happening, that way people would make peace with their Gods, spirits, friends and the like. but they would (for the most part) still think of the consequences of looting and rioting etc

I think this is the best question that came out of this whole scenario.
Quantum Quack said:
It is interesting for me to see that so many would expect that knowing that you are going to die would tear down all our self restraint and self inhibitions. Leading to rape and looting mahem etc.

Would you rape and pillage and generate chaos if you knew you were going to die in 24 hours?
I honestly think that most people would be too awe-struck to bother with such things.
Most people, I think, would simply hug whoever they love and say the things they want to say.

Just making a random announcement in teh middle of the day would cause a mass panic exodus of people trying to get to their loved ones.
If I was world leader, I imagine I would have some serious power.
I would mandate that all business be closed and advise everyone to go to their homes or wherever their closest loved ones are that they can get to within 8 hours (or so) and tune into channel (whatever) because there is a matter of the gravest importance to inform them of.
There would still be a mass exodus, but it would be slightly calmer, I would imagine.
Then I would tell them that as far as I am advised we have x amount of hours to live and I have no reason to doubt this.
Of course it is possible my scientists COULD be wrong, but expect them to be correct.

kirstykiwi said:
Hi Quantum,
I wouldn't want to know if there was a 100% chance humankind wouldn't survive in 24 hours.
If we were given a week to prepare, I would want to be told so that I could buy sleeping pills for all my family and pets, and take a more peaceful way out.
PS. What a scary subject. :(
I guess it is a bit scrary.
My excuse apart from general interest is that I am in the process of putting together a book of sci fiction that has to deal with such a possibility for leadership. And I wanted to explore what this sort or leadership decision would involve.

I find the notion of what a true leader should do in this situation vexatious for sure.

I think any leader would have a lot of opposition, regardless of how benevolent.
The "true leader" would have other leaders (political, spiritual, entertainment, etc) including, and perhaps especially, his greatest opposition join him to make the address and appeal for calm to the people.
Get someone from as many different backgrounds and beliefs represented in the message to reach as many people as possible.

one_raven said:
When I first read this My reply was pretty much identical to this..

The I read this, and it made me reconsider.

I think this is the best question that came out of this whole scenario.

I honestly think that most people would be too awe-struck to bother with such things.
Most people, I think, would simply hug whoever they love and say the things they want to say.

Just making a random announcement in teh middle of the day would cause a mass panic exodus of people trying to get to their loved ones.
If I was world leader, I imagine I would have some serious power.
I would mandate that all business be closed and advise everyone to go to their homes or wherever their closest loved ones are that they can get to within 8 hours (or so) and tune into channel (whatever) because there is a matter of the gravest importance to inform them of.
There would still be a mass exodus, but it would be slightly calmer, I would imagine.
Then I would tell them that as far as I am advised we have x amount of hours to live and I have no reason to doubt this.
Of course it is possible my scientists COULD be wrong, but expect them to be correct.

Thanks you so much One_raven, well put.

I must admit I tend very strongly to agree with you.

I would anticipate that if this came to be the world would sort of fall silent, stunned by the change in circumstances. I am also confident that mosty people when faced with such finality can be quite remarkable in how they react.
Do you think that it is the absolute finality that achieves this?
I wonder if it was said that there was a chance of not occuring that this would cause more problems than saying that it was absolute.
The absoluteness of the end somehow making it easier?

Quantum Quack said:
The absoluteness of the end somehow maing it easier?
Good question.
Don't miss my post above, you were posting at the time I started it.

one_raven said:
I think any leader would have a lot of opposition, regardless of how benevolent.
The "true leader" would have other leaders (political, spiritual, entertainment, etc) including, and perhaps especially, his greatest opposition join him to make the address and appeal for calm to the people.
Get someone from as many different backgrounds and beliefs represented in the message to reach as many people as possible.
yep and double yep....good point.... :) However time restraints may inhibit this to some extent.

Quantum Quack said:
yep and double yep....good point.... :) However time restraints may inhibit this to some extent.
It's scif-fi - use technology.
I assume it is set in present time?
If so, there are no time restraints, video conferencing, satellite connections, local TV and radio station participation.
It would be completely believeable to gather all these leaders together, especially if they know why.

one_raven said:
It's scif-fi - use technology.
I assume it is set in present time?
If so, there are no time restraints, video conferencing, satellite connections, local TV and radio station participation.
It would be completely believeable to gather all these leaders together, especially if they know why.
it woudl take at least 2 hours to put together once the decsion was made I reckon. Allow for decision time say 30 minutes.....thats "tell the world" at zero minus 21.5 hours.
The other thing that I just realised is that half the world is asleep at any given moment.

Imagine waking up to realising that you missed the announcement by 10 hours or so....sheesh!!! [zero minus 11.5 hours]

Quantum Quack said:
it woudl take at least 2 hours to put together once the decsion was made I reckon. Allow for decision time say 30 minutes.....thats "tell the world" at zero minus 21.5 hours.
The other thing that I just realised is that half the world is asleep at any given moment.

Imagine waking up to realising that you missed the announcement by 10 hours or so....sheesh!!! [zero minus 11.5 hours]
That's why I said they should tell people to tune in in 8 hours or so.
Allows them to set-up, prepare a speech, wake sleeping people, allow people to get home.
If the world is under one world government there would be some sort of world-wide emergeny alert system in place, I would assume.

one_raven said:
That's why I said they should tell people to tune in in 8 hours or so.
Allows them to set-up, prepare a speech, wake sleeping people, allow people to get home.
If the world is under one world government there would be some sort of world-wide emergeny alert system in place, I would assume.

sorry I missed that bit....

yes, if the world had a single person as president you would assume there would be a global announcement system.
Advertising a significant announcement without details for zero minus 16 hours would do the job yes.....I agree..

I wonder what sort of speech would be given....hmmmm....?

I would tell them. Maybe someone would come up with an idea. Okay, you'll just edit it again to say that that too is impossible. But in real life, you never know for certain. And even if you're somehow 99.99999% certain, there's nothing much to lose in taking a chance. Have you seen Superman (what happened to Krypton)? Okay, that was different, but maybe there's someone smart enough who has figured out how to save himself, and maybe others from such a disaster. Since he is smart, he deserves to know it.

Back