Sex, lust, desire are SINS. Come, be saved!

The facts are in....

However first this: Never mind the vicious nonsense of claiming that an embryo has a "right to life." A pice of protoplasm has no riths--and no life in the human sense of the term. *Ayn Rand*

However here is why abortion should always remain legal, not only cause it's morally right, but the teen problem whcich grows every year:

http://www.aclu.org/library/parent.html

A curious point

Xelios

Without jest ...
If through casual sex she get pregnant, she should have no right to punish her unborn child for her mistakes.
Again ... without jest, what basis is there for this statement? A parent has every right to punish a child for the parent's mistakes. It's a sacred right upon which most, if not all, parental relationships are based.

Yes, this is a greater stake, but it does not help it avoid the idea of a clash of rights. Certainly, that cellular mass/fetus/child has a "right to life", but so, too, does that woman have a right to self-determination. We might, then, apply a bit of wisdom from Solomon and go Spartan: give that entity its right to life and remove it from its station inside another person. If it lives, it lives. If not, well ....

The idea that the parent has no right to punish a child for the parent's mistakes is false in life; are we separating pregnancy from "life"? We may have come full circle as to when life begins.

Perhaps, then, we should set a standard of "independent" life? But that will not work, for the decisions of what to do with that life will be invested still in the mother, and not the law, so long as that life is not "independent".

Just as the human efforts to save a premature-born child might constitute God's will in the world, so, too, does an abortion. Whatever factors influence that mother's decision--and as we see in Job that might be the Devil itself--the outcome is still God's will.

In 1997, National Geographic released a population issue; a friend still has the map on her wall. I recall reading that 1.7 billion (out of an estimated even 6.0) people were without access to clean drinking water. Some of these people will never know what that is in their lifetimes. This, too, is God's will.

God wills tragedy in every waking heartbeat; every passing moment of the Universe experiences some heartbreak or injustice. We can try to affect the balance of those things, but a price is paid somewhere. In the history of mixing religion with law, we have seen more harm than good; in the ethical considerations of rights and those without voice, justice is both blind and deaf.

The only way to solve the abortion tragedy, if any solution exists at all, is to educate the population, and prepare them, so that such issues come up rarely, if at all. We can't stop all the psychos, and thus the pregnancies by rape, but we can make people a little less neurotic in their decision-making as regards sexuality and reproduction.

Of my generation, let me say that all of my friends who have reproduced did so irresponsibly. Their children will suffer for their entire lives because of their parents' mistakes. When I think of all the thought these kids will devote to artificial issues brought on by finance and morality and the generally poor execution of parental duty I see around me, I wonder how much that costs us economically in lost labor potential; or, to be a little more human about it, how many of my neighbors are drowning only because they got thrown into the water before they knew how to swim.

If we think these artificial issues don't affect things, we might look to history and see how preoccupation with pettiness inspires wars. How narrow, inflexible views of finance and economy destroy whole nations of people. It's not so much abort now to save suffering later, because that just doesn't work. But do you understand how much else we see from exploring this issue? The Universe will play out its balance, one way or another. The only way to break this cycle is to shake off the moral accretions of bygone eras and attempt to rebuild with fresh, objective eyes.

Give me a generation without sexuality being demonized, and I'll stand aside while as many stupid abortion laws as we can pass go rushing through. Give me a generation without liberty profaned, and I'll trust those abortion laws to be just and not stupid. It's a rebuilding process: give me a generation without greed as its first calling and I will give you a hopeful tomorrow and a genuine today.

Such a vital problem as abortion cannot be solved without considering the whole of all factors contributing to it. Education, economy, and superstition all play necessary roles. The fact that we humans are animals contributes as well.

Parents punish children in life; what do we call it in the womb, before life? And what, then? So it's life, and yes, that "child" will be punished for the parents mistakes every day they are alive, in one way or another. The drastic difference between misbehaving because of bad instruction and being aborted steps aside on the scales of justice. The idea of the parental mistake as the basis for punishment is the broader idea that applies. Even after considerations of life and death go away, the considerations of the basis of punishment and what, in fact, constitutes punishment still remain.

If we want to change that cycle, we have to start from the ground up. First on the docket: Knowledge is more valuable than money. Fix that, and you'll be amazed at how different the abortion situation looks. Secondly, Superstition is not knowledge. Fix that, and you'll find a massive relief of the situation.

I'll tell you this much: I need more than my two hands to count off the number or teenage pregnancies I knew of in high school that could have been avoided had the parents not fostered conditions under which the children were afraid to ask for advice regarding sexuality. And therein lies the problem. Education. Period. Educational change will necessitate the economic change. The economic change will help the education destroy inhibiting superstitions. I don't think it's really that hard to do, but I do understand I'm asking a whole lot of people.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Abortion isn't the solution to teen pregnacy. Keeping your dick in your pants is.

Ben

Life ....

Life is a 100% fatal, sexually-transmitted disease.

It's a bumper sticker, to be found amid the disenchanted, disenfranchised, and dislocated.
Abortion isn't the solution to teen pregnacy. Keeping your dick in your pants is.
It's an interesting point, KalvinB, because no matter how correct it is, it is inapplicable because we're human beings. I only say this because when we stop and look at it, any number of human problems can be solved by keeping our pants on. (Incidentally, and though I'm sure it's unintended, I'll point out that the young lady has a role in preventing teen pregnancies. What, you whip out your dick and they're just on it? ;) )

Problems we can solve by not having sex

* Child abuse, physical: While physical abuse of a child automatically classifies a family unit as dysfunctional, it is worth noting that such abuse primarily takes place in homes not fully prepared for the duties of parenthood.

* Child abuse, psychological: Verbal and other psychological assaults (extended isolation, &c) are a less definitive matter. But even the relatively light amount of insanity and crap I took from my parents--principles later revoked, rescinded, outright denied, or betrayed by action--stems largely from the fact that the home was neither financially nor ethically prepared for the raising of children. Parenting is subject to economization, and detrimental economization happens most often when the family is not prepared to be a family.

* Child abuse, sexual: I think it's quite obvious what the "dick" problem is here, on all levels. You should keep it in the pants when you're with your daughter, and you should have before you fathered this child because even then you knew this was a possibility.

* Crime, petty, teen: Most teens perpetrating crimes come from dysfunctional families; from families not prepared for raising children.

* Crime, severe, teen: Please see above note.

* Drug use, teen: Drug use among teens, beyond social experimentation, if any of our addiction data is to be considered valid (and that includes the data which speaks ill of drug use), is most common among dysfunctional homes.

* Sexually transmitted disease: While most STD's are not entirely confined to sexual transmission, they are so named for their primary mode of transmission.

* Suffering, child: Internationally and domestically, we see such widespread suffering among people--including children--that the pundits and philosophers are currently seeking justifications to include hunger as a form of violence. Whether in famine-stricken nations or the American Appalachia (and other places), there is a host of suffering children who are only alive because two people decided not to leave a dick in one of their pants.

* Cancer: It was once suggested, in the Salem, Oregon Statesman-Journal, in a letter to the editor, that cancer could be erased by one full generation of total sexual abstinence. While sarcstic, the author had a point.

In family issues, we must bear in mind that very few long-term problems arise after the establishment of the family unit. Unstable finances are a leading cause of family strife, and too many people are reproducing before they can afford to.

It's a nice idea that abstinence can cure the problem, but we see a host of other problems that do, quite frequently, result in loss of human life, which can be just as easily solved. That human beings should choose not to undertake this solution speaks volumes of the validity of the solution. It's not a wrong solution so much as it is not realistic.

thanx,

"It's not a wrong solution so much as it is not realistic."

Yes, it does appear in this age that if there's a legal way to do it, you can remove responsibility for your actions.

We see that constantly with a recent class action suit against the Tobacco companies because people didn't want to take responsiblity for their bad choice because they didn't legally have to.

Then there was the dumb lady who spilled McCoffee on herself and sued McDonalds.

If we took away the legal means to escape responsibility we would certainly see a decrease in teen pregnancies.

Ben

Only one hitch, but it can be worked around, I think

If we took away the legal means to escape responsibility we would certainly see a decrease in teen pregnancies.
Taking away the "legal means to escape responsibility" would also entail ensuring that teens understand the ramifications of their actions. Some girls in my class had their first period in fifth grade, placing the burden of sexual education at fourth grade or before. If I recall, there was even a Time or Newsweek article recently on the rate at which girls are maturing biologically. How early, then, do we start?

I will accept the proposition that it's not the schools' place to teach children about sex. How, then, to ensure this vital social responsibility and the knowledge that empowers it? Through the parents? We cannot, by any legislative means, force parents to educate their children about sex. It becomes sort of an honor system, and guess what?

We're right back to ground zero. What, are we supposed to just believe that parents taught their children about fucking when they were nine? Now Suzy's thirteen and pregnant, and endangering her health and its her own fault because she didn't know better than to say no, condoms aren't dangerous? Fine with me, but once again, the children are being punished for the parents' mistakes. The failure to ensure the proper transmission of necessary knowledge undermines the weight of responsibility for decisions thus made.

So how would you propose that children be properly prepared to make reproductive choices?

thanx,

Abortion is not a sin

Very interesting topic, abortion is one of the topics I truly enjoy, only cause I know it's a useless fight as, trying to convert Kal, Tony1, or Loon:eek: To atheism.

However in the search of articles on the pro-choice arena, I've run into this article:

Abortion is not a sin.

by Poppy Dixon

The word of God makes it clear to us that abortion is not a sin. In fact it's quite clear that to believe otherwise is nothing short of idolatry and blasphemy, and those are, quite definitely, sins.

PSALM 139 AND THE BEGINNING OF LIFE

One of the most beautiful chapters in the Bible is Psalms 139. It speaks of God's constant, practically doting, love for his creation. It is distressing to see this chapter used by anti-abortionists as proof that life begins at conception. If you read the chapter in its entirety it becomes clear that our existence begins in the mind of God and that God's attentions follow us all of our days, through good and bad. Here are the verses that anti-abortionists use to twist this beautiful chapter to a common political tool:

"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are thy works: and that my soul knoweth right well. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them." Psalms 139:13-16.

These verses are used to prove that human life begins at conception. But there is nothing here to even suggest that. God conceives of us first. We read that a blueprint, of sorts, exists in a book, God's book. Before we are born God uses this to form our bodies. Nowhere here does this describe anything but the making of the human form. Nowhere here does it describe how we are imbued with a human soul. But there are numerous other places in the Bible where God makes it quite clear when and how we become a living being and not just an "imperfect substance" as mentioned in Psalms 139.

Consider first, Genesis 2:7,
"And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul."

First, God forms Adam, he forms of dust, a flesh and blood body. SECOND, he "breathes into his nostrils the breath of life" and THEN man became a living soul. Man did not become a living soul when God first formed the IDEA of creating Adam, in Genesis 1:26. Man did not become a living soul when God created his BODY. Not until God gave man his first BREATH did he become a living soul. Life comes from God. It does not come from human conception. To believe that the entry of a sperm into an egg constitutes a human soul is blasphemy. To believe this is to eject God from the mystery of birth and put the power of the male ejaculation above the generative power of God. It is nothing less than idolatry, elevating the status of mere man, his sperm and his ejaculation above the power of God to give life.

The verses in Genesis are not the only verses in the Bible to make this clear. Consider Job 33:44

"The Spirit of God hath made me, and the breath of the Almighty hath given me life."

Consider the story of Ezekial and the dry bones, Ezekial 37:1-6,

"The hand of the Lord was upon me, and he brought me out by the Spirit of the Lord, and set me down in the midst of the valley; it was full of bones. And he led me round among them; and behold, there were very many upon the valley; and lo, they were very dry. And he said to me, "Son of man, can these bones live?" And I answered, "O Lord God, thou knowest." Again he said to me, "Prophesy to these bones, and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord. Thus says the Lord God to these bones: Behold, I will cause BREATH TO ENTER YOU, and you shall live. And I will lay sinews upon you, and will cause flesh to come upon you, and cover you with skin, and PUT BREATH IN YOU, and you shall live; and you shall know that I am the Lord.'"

Just like Adam, who had a body before he had a soul, like every fetus in the womb, these dry bones were given sinew, flesh and skin, and AFTER they received the body GOD breathed into them and THEN they became alive. And, as in the verses above, because of that we "know that [God] is the Lord." Only God can bestow life and he tells us again and again in his word how this is done.

There is no trickery here. God does not breathe through an umbilical cord. We receive the breath of life, from God, through the nostrils, when we take our first breath. The concept of life beginning at birth, rather than conception, is so central to Christianity that we are "born again," not "conceived again."

ABORTION IN THE BIBLE

Why doesn't the Bible say anything directly about abortion? Why didn't Jesus dedicate his crusade against the practice as many of his modern day followers have? Did women have abortions in Biblical times? Yes. The Bible tells us so. Many anti-abortionists feel that the commandment, "Thou shalt not kill," covers the abortion issue. But in Mosaic law God covers the exceptions to this law, indicating quite clearly who may be killed and for what offense. For instance, if a man or woman has sex with an animal or commits adultery they must be killed. Does "Thou shalt not kill" apply to abortion? No. Miscarriage or abortion is an exception. Let's look at Exodus 21:22

"When men strive together, and hurt a woman with child, so that there is a miscarriage, and yet no harm follows, the one who hurt her shall be fined, according as the woman's husband shall lay upon him; and he shall pay as the judges determine."

In this instance a woman has been so injured, in a fight between two men, that she has aborted. The law states that if "no harm follows" the outsider must pay the husband a fine. An abortion has been induced through violence and this is not considered harmful. Abortion, then, is not a capital offense or a violation of the commandment, "Thou shalt not kill."

Does anyone know where in the Bible a prophet of God calls upon God to induce abortions in the wives of his enemies? Let's look at Hosea 9:14.

"Give them, O Lord: what wilt thou give? give them a miscarrying womb (an abortion) and dry breasts."

And later,
"...yet will I slay even the beloved fruit of their womb." Hosea 9:16

In this case God causes abortions, the prophet prays that these women will abort. If these are truly innocent children, how could God do this? But they are not, they are "miscarrying wombs," "unperfect substances" and God will prevent them from becoming human souls that will grow up to oppress his people.

WHAT IF MARY HAD DECIDED TO ABORT JESUS?

Many people are surprised to learn that God gave Mary a choice concerning her pregnancy with the future Savior. In the gospel of Luke the angel came to her announcing what the will of God was for her life. In verse 1:38 Mary replies, "Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word." Mary gives her assent. To believe that Mary had no voice in the process is unthinkable, for that would mean that God forced Himself on (raped) an unwed, teenaged virgin. Mary chose to be the mother of our Savior. God honored her ability to make that choice.

CONCLUSION

Abortion is not a sin, though blasphemy and idolatry are. To say that human copulation (which the Bible calls unclean) has the power to bestow life is blasphemy. No mere act of man can negate the fact that only God bestows life, by giving the fully formed body, breath. Asserting that human life begins at conception is counter to the claims of the word of God and is a sin. It is doubly a sin because this debased belief leads others to sin. Those that kill clinic workers, harass clients and attempt to legislate this wayward belief lead innocent believers down a road to murder and depravity.

Follow the example of Jesus, let those that want Christ come to you. Do not force the grace of God on anyone. God has the power, not only to give life, but to save. As Paul says in Galatians 2:21

"I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain."

(Or is the bible contradicting it'self once again?)Godless.

Godless is it at all possible that your absolute refusal to consider an unborn child a real living entity a defense against accepting the guilt you obviously feel about allowing the murder of your only child?

Re: Abortion

Originally posted by Godless
Very interesting topic, abortion is one of the topics I truly enjoy, only cause I know it's a useless fight as ...
Hmmm. IMO, a topic which has been way overworked.

The only consolation is the fact that the law is on the side of pro-choice. The "pro-life" can scream themselves hoarse and firebomb all the clinics they feel like. :D

Atleast it gives them something to do! Now maybe they'd stop harassing ppl at street corners.

Plainly no!. I'll tell you why..

Originally posted by Taken
Godless is it at all possible that your absolute refusal to consider an unborn child a real living entity a defense against accepting the guilt you obviously feel about allowing the murder of your only child?

A nice attempt, a typical one at best, use "guilt" in order to manipulate my emotional side of nature. However she was not the only one, there been one more, the point is, it is "their" decission not mine, thier bodies, not mine, their choice, not mine.

It is not quilt I feel, Taken, it is sadness that they took such a decission, sadness that at the time I was way too young and so were they, to have overwhelmed our lives with the tremendous undertaking of parenthood. I'm much older now, and still would not accept in manipulating a decission on a woman to bear a son of mine. Like I've mentioned before, it's thier body, and her life, not mine!.

You are not a cow Taken, dont treat yourself as one!.
If for example, #6 would have been a pregnancy from a previous rape, would you still feel like bearing a psycho's child?

I know this is not the case, however wouldn't you be destroying a life as well, if you decided to abort? or are you the too good to be true, and bear the child anyhow? If that was the scenario, how would your husband feel? Would he rather you have an abortion? I think most men would!.

I honestly wasn't trying to manipulate you thru guilt. You exspressed remorse for not haveing the only child. I think it was bold of you to share something so personal and I was not trying to offend you.

Actually Godless I am going to lay myself wide open here...I had a child by rape...a daughter, the only female child I have ever bore...and I had her and gave her up for adoption. I knew there was little chance of my being able to bond with her or be impartial considering the circumstances, although I knew in my head that she was completely innocent in the situation. It was the most difficult year of my life.....barely able to overcome the grief and anger of what happened to me wth the emotional and physical stress of that pregnancy on top of it was as close to the edge of stability I have ever come. But I could not kill her....just because she was a life...an innocent human being. She will be raised as adopted...mabey she will one day know she was adopted, mabey not...but she will never know why.

Taken,

Your post sent a chill up my spine. I'm sincerely sorry to hear of your terrible experience. Though I generally disagree with your ideas about abortion, at least you are consistent. I can't figure out the people who argue that a fetus is a full fledged human life, and then trip up their own argument by making an exception for abortion if the mother was raped. As you say, it was no fault of the fetus that the mother was disgusted by father.

I'm eternally perplexed by what human rapists are thinking. I've always thought that a big part of the enjoyment of sex is knowing that the woman thinks I'm a pretty wonderful guy. How a man could think about sex with a woman who is sick at the very thought of him, is beyond me.

I do understand however that rape is an animal behavior. It occurs with regularity among many of the species. Matthew Ridley's book, The Red Queen documents from a zoolologist's perspective, the quite normal gang rape of female dolphins by the males. In another case there is a certain species of water foul (I forget the species) in which the male is the one to sit on the nest and later tend the chicks, while the female goes off on her own. In one instance , a male floating on the water, and minding his own business was nearly drowned by several attacking female (rapist) birds of this species. It seems that aggressive behavior in the animal kingdom may easily changes roles.

I've had an ongoing debate with people who insist that man is degraded by his own culture and technology. They would have us return to a "natural" state of the "pure and noble savage". The idea of the "noble savage" is an absolute myth. Men and women in their "natural" state are simply amoral. Culture, manners, and morality make the difference between primative brutes and civilized men.

Regards,
Michael

I'm so sorry Taken

I won't question your motives, of bearing the child, however if it were me, after all the pain, suffering, nine-months, etc.. I would have kept it!, however I would have chosen the easy way out of such a dilema, I would have aborted!, then again I'm a man, this decision is not mine by nature, though I would support a woman of mine upon her decision on such a travesty of life, what ever she would have decided to do, I would support her.
Concluding a protoplasm is not life, it is a potential, a potential has no rights, and I quote the author of the objectivist philosophy, Ayn Rand: "If any among you are confused or taken in by the argument that the cells of an embryo are living human cells, remember that so are all the cells of your body, including the cells of your skin, your tonsils, or your ruptured appendix--and that cutting them is murder, according to the notions of that proposed law. Remember also that a pontentiality is "not" the equivalent of an actuality--and that human beings's life begins at birth."

Taken it is noble, that you put yourself through your dilema with such an outcome, however you had a "choice" and the choice you made is up to you, it would be wrong and morally outrageous to not support this choice upon other women. They might decide to abort the fetus, if it were illegal, who would support the child? the mother might give it up for adoption as you did, however who repays the damage of birth to the woman? What right does the church, other peoples opinions, goverment have to be personally involved in the life of an individual who has been victimized? and furthermore if pregnant from rape it would be whom's decision upon her life? I say her life belongs to her, she should be given the choice.

Abortion from unplanned pregnancies, would aswell hold the same decision factor, no goverment, church, or other peoples opinion should dictate what an individual woman should do with her own body.

3 easy points, for starters

1. The choice to abort is between the woman and God; as such, she will answer on Judgement Day.

2. The establishment of the rights of a zygote must coincide with the assignation of the responsibilities of a citizen unto that zygote.

3. Any theological establishment of life at conception is a matter of the adherent's choice.

A couple of notes:

Zygote: let's not kid ourselves here. We keep talking of fetuses and "children". Let's remember the zygotes, at least.

Theological establishment of life: I have limited the establishment of life here to the theological establishment of life specifically because of point #2, which addresses the scientific establishment of life as I believe Blonde Cupid had presented.

Reiteration:

Theology aside--Can anyone refute the violations of the Ninth and Fourteenth Amendments as cited in Roe v. Wade, independently or in the context of McCorvey's "confession" of perjury?

thanx,

The main arguement for abortion seems to be that it's the women's choice what she wants to do with her body. However, we have to remember here, we are not dealing with just her body any longer. We are dealing with an infant child as well (whatever stage of development it may be in). The question is, does the woman have the right to chose whether this child is allowed to live? If so, at what point does she no longer have that right? When the child is 2 months along? 3? 8? How about when it's 3 years old? 5?

If a woman gets pregnant "by accident" (and not by any type of forced pregnancy such as rape) then she took on the risk that she may end up pregnant. She made the choice to "make herself available" despite this risk, and if she gets pregnant she should have to live with the consequence (if you can call a child that). If you don't want to have a baby, keep your pants on. I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with KB on this one. :eek:

Xelios ... a couple of perspective points

However, we have to remember here, we are not dealing with just her body any longer. We are dealing with an infant child as well (whatever stage of development it may be in). The question is, does the woman have the right to chose whether this child is allowed to live? If so, at what point does she no longer have that right? When the child is 2 months along? 3? 8? How about when it's 3 years old? 5?
The first perspective point, I admit, seems cold: I live in the United States of America. (I'll get back to that.)
If a woman gets pregnant "by accident" (and not by any type of forced pregnancy such as rape) then she took on the risk that she may end up pregnant. She made the choice to "make herself available" despite this risk, and if she gets pregnant she should have to live with the consequence (if you can call a child that). If you don't want to have a baby, keep your pants on. I'm afraid I'm going to have to agree with KB on this one.
I agree with the idea that the best prevention is to keep the pants on. And I won't even get into the practicality of that. The second perspective point pertains to what happens when we start making such considerations as the above.

I live in the US of A

Actually, this doesn't mean a whole lot. But at the end of all of our American compassion and greed, our love and hate, our union and disparity, is a document which represents the highest of human causes: justice. We're all familiar with the phrase, Justice is blind, but what does that really mean?

* Presumption of innocence. It seems quite odd that we should have to argue about trivial matters if, say, a man is videotaped in the midst of a shooting spree. However, 'tis better to walk a thousand murderers than to endorse the execution of an innocent human being. That is to say that, as trivial as it might seem, we should at least demonstrate the connection 'twixt the man on the videotape and the man in the courtroom.

* We let a man walk from the three-strikes law in the Seattle area on a technicality. The newspapers didn't have time to critique the legal approach before he went out and committed a rape. I don't even know at present what the technicality was. The point being that despite the miserable result, the law was, actually, upheld.

These points lend toward the coldness of the Constitution. It is there for us, but we must know what to do with it.

And this is what I mean when I say I live in the United States of America. It's the supreme law of the land; if you enjoy the rights it affords, you answer to that clause. But it is not there to make certain judgements, only to provide the conventional basis for that judgement.

Of technicalities: does anyone know where the Miranda Act comes from? For those unfamiliar with the American judicial enterprise, when one is arrested, one is read a short list of rights which must be preserved. They are: 1) the right to remain silent, 2) the right to an attorney (at public expense if necessary), and 3) the right of communication (e.g. a phone call).

In my youth, the 1980s, we heard much in America about the "rights of criminals". People wanted the Miranda Act revoked because we were "giving too many rights to criminals". (e.g.--He killed someone, and we're protecting his rights?) Such an attitude, while it seems a proper sentiment, overlooks a couple of points. First, the suspect is still presumed innocent, and therefore is entitled to these rights. Secondly, the Miranda Act would not have been necessary in the first place if police in, I believe Florida, in searching for a rape suspect, had not seized a migrant worker named Ernesto Miranda and, in essence, tortured a confession out of him. Ernesto Miranda turned out to be innocent of the charge he confessed to. Ever been shackled and hosed with icy water in an attempt to extract a confession? The Nazis knew how to do it. And so do the Americans. The idea of a technicality upon which we walk a guilty suspect is a necessary byproduct of ensuring the rights enumerated in the Constitution. Cold, yes. Proper, yes.

It is demonstrable that without such bulwarks, authority oversteps itself. In the state of Washington, we have a protected right to privacy. To get around this, police will detain a suspect and take up to four hours to "run a license" (check the validity of your ID). It has the same effect. In New York, Rudy Giuliani had the police department arresting stoners on "quality of life" offenses, held them in jail overnight, and turned them out without charging them. The courts have considered this inappropriate. While, technically, Giuliani wasn't breaking any laws, the purpose of his actions was determined to have malice against the rights of the suspects (if you can't charge them, why arrest them?) and the courts have ordered the process stopped.

Perhaps rights would be an easier subject if we didn't abuse our sense of rights. Precedents are set regardless of the crime: if you undermine the legal system escaping a drug possession charge, you open a loophole for an accused murderer. Perhaps rights and due process would not be so corrupted if we did not abuse them by inventing reasons to arrest people (e.g. stoners, and, in the past, homosexuals).

The end result of the whole mess is that while it would be nice to isolate abortion as an issue and figure the right thing to do, we run the risk of undermining rights. As cold as it is, we must honor those rights.

One cannot establish that a woman "invites" a child to grow within her from the simple consent of sexual intercourse; that is tantamount to a woman "inviting" rape by simply opening the front door. It is possible, then, to honor both the mother and child's rights by applying lessons from Sparta; the general effect would be just like abortion, unfortunately, and without the sanitary protections. Quite simply, we can offer the right of life to that zygote/fetus/child and, if it can't survive outside the mother's womb at time of extraction, so be it. Cold? Cruel? Perhaps. But the matter of it is that as soon as you establish the rights of a living person for that zygote/fetus/child, you are also assigning certain responsibilities to it. That it is not capable of avoiding the situation does not excuse this "person". We do not execute murderers who are incapable of distinguishing their acts, but we do, in fact, incarcerate them. We do not excuse sexually-overcharged retarded persons for their rapes. Nor should we excuse this "person" its intrusion on the mother. If sexual intercourse uniformly resulted in pregnancy, we might have a way to work around this point, but unfortunately, such is not the case.

But the law is what we're considering; the moral of right and wrong is separate from the law. The law's responsibility is to achieve the greatest good for the greatest number of people. Included in that greatest good is the idea of self-determination. The law cannot revoke rights given without due process; the establishment of rights to the "child" inside only lasts that long. Upon the birth of the child, those rights will be lifted and awarded to a guardian. Would anyone like to take a whack at characterizing that particular judical proceeding?

In that last sense, we revisit Taken's point about punishing the child for the parents' mistakes, as well as my counterpoint that such is the way of things. How is it that for those first nine months that "person" is given immunity from punishment for other people's sins, yet upon their entry into the functioning world, it becomes par for the course? And that leads to the second point:

Extraneous considerations

It isn't that I disagree with the notion of abstinence being the best solution. But let's take a look at that:

What we're dealing with is considerations extraneous to the laws discussed. They are, at best, motivations of what is or of what some feel should be. What should be is never what is. We cannot expect an exception to that rule.

If we undermine the cold clarity of governing law with the warm mush of sentiment, we do the whole of the living endeavor a disservice. Take a look at the present war/inquest/manhunt/whatnot. The idea of Americans violating human rights based on mushy sentiment wouldn't be so shocking if we hadn't gone out of our way to invent a term to excuse ourselves. But the truth of the matter is that by rules of POW's or by the US Constitution, the current flap about Camp X-Ray points toward human rights violations. Anyone who points out that these are Taliban monsters, Al Qaeda monsters, terrorist monsters, or whatnot, is merely accepting the mush of patriotic sentiment. Does anyone realize that the term "unlawful combatants" is utter BS invented to circumvent the law?

Or the plague of "drugs". The situation is apparently so dire that mushy sentiment compels people to turn a blind eye to the fact that the Constitution is no longer in evidence. Seriously, owning a bong is a more serious crime than raping your daughter in this country. You retain more of your rights if you're accused of raping your daughter.

And my one potshot aimed generally at such sentiment is that it's easy to approve when it's not your rights being suspended.

In terms of abortion there runs a high danger of sentimental deception. I've started to use the word zygote in this debate because we're focused so much on the idea of fetus and child that it's worth recalling that this "person" includes a fertilized ovum before cleavage.

As a side question, can anybody point out where, aside from money, the potential of something matters? To clarify: the zygote is a "person" according to the pro-life camp. Specifically, the zygote is a fertilized cell. I've thrown away many a germinating seed. Now, this isn't a direct comparison of a human zygote to last year's tulip bulbs. It's okay to throw out that bulb, or step on that ant ... the difference with the zygote is its potential to be human. Lawsuits about "my baseball career" aside, and "lost business" estimates aside, in what issue of law has the American judicial process given such consideration to potential as the potential of that zygote?

And this is where sentiment starts to disturb me. Everyone seems to appreciate the Constitution more or less, even the Anarchists who would destroy it, because they know they'd be shot dead without it. But sentiment is what moves people to want to throw the Constitution aside. John Walker Lindh may have sold his country, but two points strike me. As an aside, I wonder why everyone's so upset, since we used to have a wartime slogan that went, America, love it or leave it. He left, what's the big deal? On a more important note, though, I have not yet seen it established what jurisdiction we have to try him in court as we have charged him. It would seem, then, that all Taliban and Al Qaeda suspects should be charged in federal court in Virginia. (Truth told, I'd prefer it.) But sentiment undermines the law. Jurisdiction isn't actually established in any context other than, We're the USA, stop us if you dare. We're doing this because he's an American and we're disgusted that he would participate in something so ridiculous as the Taliban. Of course, sentiment also compels us to forget that we, the people, have aided and abetted the Taliban, as well.

Certain forms of sentiment, when applied to law, undermine the law. In doing so, they undermine the things which we claim to uphold. To act rashly on sentiment and declare legal life at conception and award rights to the zygote creates a conflict of rights with a familiar result: the suspension of the self-determination of our breeding machines.

Frankly what it comes down to me is that I don't understand how we can isolate the issues of abortion and law from the issue of the law.

If someone would like to craft the legislation that protects the zygote from abortion and protects the rights of the living individuals in the functional community, I would love to read it. As to that, however, I am compelled to point out to all that a right-to-life amendment to the Constitution is a wasted effort; the right to life is already included in the Constitution. We've argued about that right for 220 years. I submit to you that if there's a way to expand the definition of "all" to include the zygote, and also protect the idea of "Liberty and Justice for All", I would love to see it enumerated. History has not yet managed the rhetoric that will accept the zygote as fully-endowed with rights as a person without suspending the endowment of another human being. And so the justicers argue it out, and hammer it out, and still come up with the answers they do.

The Ninth and Fourteenth Amendments. Getting rid of those would be the first thing to do. That is, shredding the Constitution is the only way to fix the issue as the pro-life crowd would like. And thus the American Revolution will end in failure.

Nobody can destroy America but Americans. And abortion is an issue which, if not handled with care, can lead to the rash disassembly of all the protections which we receive as stipulated in the social contracts of government and governed.

By the consent of the governed does this nation work.

The reason children do not have to consent to be governed is because we do not accept that they are capable of such consent. This is its own issue. The fetus is not capable of consenting. It is not capable of protesting. As with living, functioning children, the fetus is the responsibility of the parent, and subject to the rights of the parent.

Seriously, if anyone wants to provide a working, executable solution--or our Sciforums best representation thereof--to the abortion issue which outlaws the practice of abortion while protecting the rights of all individuals, I'd love to read it.

And, as a short note, I will point toward the insanity in society that sexual repression is documented to bring. Even a brief perusal of Victorian women will show this. People say Freud was a pervert; there's a reason his psychology centered around sexuality: it was a fundamental pillar of dysfunction. This, too, is a sentimental consideration we are obliged by history to consider if we are to make such vital decisions based on sentiment. There exists the possibility that if people don't get laid, we'll go to war instead. And at that point, the "lives" we save by not aborting become kind of moot. And no, I'm not joking about that.

Closing remarks

This is why I advocate education. For the Christians, specifically, this involves forsaking the common sexual neuroses that plague the faith. And this is very relevant because it is Christians who, for the most part make up the pro-life crowd. And it is also the Christians who argue against education of relevant issues. People will make better decisions if they are educated.

Family planning helps, too. It is easier to educate a person if they are not in bad circumstances. I remember a friend's high school graduation in McMinnville, Oregon in ... '94, I think. There were several girls visibly pregnant and several more not visibly pregnant. Okay, family planning is a good idea because for three of those girls I met that day, the "good job" and "bright future" of the fathers of their children involved gas station attendant, union labor at a rubber-products firm, and custodian at the mall in the nearest larger city. Those bright futures are starting under a mountain of debt ... I assert that the frustration of the common laborer's finances do have an effect on education, and, in the long run, can undermine responsible decision-making. Doubt that point? Cross-reference juvenile crime and substance statistics with home economic data. Yes, a lot of bored suburbanite kids do drugs and steal cars, but the higher concentrations of juvenile deviance occur as you move into the lower economic strata. I'm not talking about aborting to spare this mess. What I'm talking about is how much we have to fix in society before responsible decision-making can be realistically expected. If you go to work every day and don't murder anyone, you're pretty responsible. Even moreso if you file a tax return. Great standard, eh? But if you're going to demand a certain quality, you must empower that quality to exist. Roses don't grow in the Mojave as far as I know, and with good reason it would seem.

I, too, would strive for an abortion-free society. But I'm not going to reduce women to livestock in order to do it. I'd rather raise as many people as possible to clarity.

I must propose, then, that if the only solution can be abstinence, there also exists a duty to empower that solution. Bring on, bring on. I believe society needs to be smarter across the board.

If a pro-lifer would be so kind as to detail the process of that empowerment, I would be most grateful.

Until then, if "keep your dick in your pants" or "don't make yourself available" is the best we can come up with as a solution to this tragedy, I must refuse the solution on functional grounds.

Personally, I think lesbianism is the answer. And no, that's not a joke.

http://www.grtbooks.com/exitfram.as...&URL=http://www.litrix.com/lysis/lysis001.htm (Lysistrata by Aristophanes)

thanx much,

Carrying the child was with out a doubt one of the most difficult things I have ever done. For the entirety my mind was displaced. It was like being in a fog. I seemed almost disconnected from my own body...like I was inside another realm looking out through the eyes of my physical being but not actually being there. If that makes any sense. There was a human life growing inside of me and abortion was never even a consideration. However it wasn't "mine"...not in the sense my other children were. There is a bond between a woman and her unborn child...the longing to hold the baby, the rushing to the phone or the doctors office at every little twinge, worried that something might go wrong....envisioning how they will look and an overwhelming sense of joy and anticipation. I had none of that with the pregnancy. For the knowledge of that came overwhelming guilt. My head knew this child was part of me, just like my sons were, but my heart and body could not make that connection. And the guilt of feeling I was less than a real "mother" or unable to be that kind of mother to the child was the most difficult part of the entire thing I think.
Mabey had I kept her, in time it would have passed and I would have felt the same instinct with her I did my other kids...but I do not know if that was possible. Could I "fake" it for her lifetime? There would be questions...she would have known she was not the same as her brothers due to physical appearance...how would I explain that? How many lies could I compound and how many feelings could I effectively fake for ever and her never know? I do not think keeping her was ever an option either.

The point is...why would I go thru it anyway...especially not feeling the unconditional love of a mother? She was a living being...innocent...and that "potential" some of you speak of...it was a "potential" for a life...a wonderfull fullfilling life. If I held it in my power to give that option to another human how could I deny it? Life is hard...but I wouldn't give it up...I love my children, my home...the sunset, the little things that give us joy. Why and how could I deny the chance to live to someone if I could?

Cattle? No. Being able to give life to a human is a most preciouse gift. I count it as an honor. Is there anything more miraculouse or wonderfull. I am not pumping out parts on an assembly line here...I hold the ability to nuture and provide LIFE for goodness sake. LIFE folks...do you realize how preciouse that is. Now you want to talk finite....you talk about life. The three seconds by which death may just miss you at any given time and you not even know it. It is a remarkable and delicate thing...and the attitude of takeing it so lightly is the entire problem in our society. When you berate pregnancy to that of cattle you give permission for it to be of no consequence and acceptably unworthy of any consideration. You make it ok to kill anyone if given self-justified cause. You make it perfectly acceptable in the scheame of things for people to crash airplanes in to skyscrapers where thousands of innocent unknowing people are...you justify the slaughter of thousands of humans by Christian zelots. I say we just all go to the local hospitals and start pulling those plugs...save a little electricity then. If they can't breath alone are they now not really alive? If they are in a comma then they are unable to decide therefor not protected by the constitution, right? If women have babys early and they are in neo-natal unable to breath or eat on their own due to birth defects are they still perfectly eligible for killing even though they are out of the womb? If life is veiwed as a nonimpressive everday biological function...than it has no value and that is why people give such little regard to producing children they do not want in the first place.

Was it a blessing in disguise that a pregnancy resulted from my ordeal? Was it the "hormone" surge from being pregnant or the focus on surviving for the birth of the child that kept me sane? Had I not held the overwhelming responsibility of getting that child in to the world alive and healthy would I have given up, become suicidal, ceased to function, let what happened be such a focus that I would have driven myself insane? I do not know, some things you just do not bother to question...you just always remember it COULD have been worse.

Taken like I mentioned before

Your decision was very commendable, though very hard, however it was a "choice" you made, and have to live with. Someother woman has a right of choice as well, and if her choice was to abort, what gives anyone else the "right" to dictate what she do? Morally it has to be her decision, she is the one who has to live with the consequence.

Quote Taken: "Cattle? No. Being able to give life to a human is a most preciouse gift. I count it as an honor. Is there anything more miraculouse or wonderfull. I am not pumping out parts on an assembly line here...I hold the ability to nuture and provide LIFE for goodness sake.

no, giving life happens every day, Taken it is not some out of this world experience, however when it is made into "law" that by force when an unwanted pregnancy happens this "law" reduces the woman to mere cattle, because what is given right to is the right to enforce, an unwanted pregnancy with trampling over her rights of her own body. To have goverment dictate what you can do with your own body or the church for that matter only reduces the human race to slavery. Because of this it is morally correct that a woman have a "choice" wether to go through a pregnancy or not.

I understand where you are coming from, I would have rather for the choice to be to give birth to a "potential" rather than eliminate the chance of life, however it's not in our decision, this decision has to be the choice of the individual, it is her life, Taken just as it is your life, to do what you thougth is right, she has to have the right, to do with hers what she thinks is right for her life!. But if you were to take this right away, if law of the land becomes as it was it only makes matters worse, as it was in the early century. When thousands of women died, in the hands of unprofessionals who were runing ilegal joints to give abortions to women who paid dearly for it.

I agree with tiassa Quote: "One cannot establish that a woman "invites" a child to grow within her from the simple consent of sexual intercourse; that is tantamount to a woman "inviting" rape by simply opening the front door.

We are humans we make mistakes, if a "choice" exists were we do not have to live with that mistake for the rest of our lives, that choice, is morally correct to take.

she is the one who has to live with the consequence.

Exactly. The baby should not have to pay for her mistake, she took a risk, it didn't work out, now she has to live with the consequence. You cannot simply do away with a consequence of a previous choice you made because it doesn't fit into your daily schedual right now.

We are humans we make mistakes, if a "choice" exists were we do not have to live with that mistake for the rest of our lives, that choice, is morally correct to take.

So basically, "I screwed up, but instead of accepting the consequences I'll just take the life of this child and pretend it never happened."

I'm sorry I can't, and don't, agree with that. Babies don't just happen, there are a set of choices made that lead up to a baby. The choice to have sex is one of them. If you are willing to take the risk of getting pregnant, so be it, but you must be prepared to live out the consequences (if a child can be called a consequence) if it does indeed happen. Life is about choices, and consequences to those choices. Just because you regret a choice you made doesn't mean you can skip out on the consequence of it, especially if it involves taking a child's life.

Maybe there really is only a potential for life, however from the moment of conception there will be life formed, unless something is done externally to prevent it. No matter how much you baby it up (no pun intended), it's still life.

Taking away the choice of a woman to abort will not in any way turn them into cattle. I don't know how you could have gotten that idea. No one is forcing anyone to get pregnant here (with the exception of rape, in which case I do agree abortion can be used). You talk about choices, but with choice comes responsibility. As you say, we are human and we make mistakes, if there are no consequences to those mistakes, what will keep women from using abortion as a method of birth control? Abortion is not morally acceptable, it's quite the opposite.

The key word here is "force"

If the law is passed, were by abortion is ilegal, it's by "force" that this law would by sustained therefore, merely reducing a woman whom does not want to complicate the rest of her life, with a child, is reducing her to mere cattle.

If abortion proceding is enforced, this also makes women slave of the state, in order to reproduce by force!. By not having a choice.

Is that moral?

Back