Sex, lust, desire are SINS. Come, be saved!

"You had life, before you were born into your body, it just exceeds to be ignited by light and electricity"

An organism that has a heartbeat isn't living????? It's almost illogical for people to believe as such. The body devoloping inside the mother's womb depends on her for food to grow, yet this child isn't living????? Would about when it kicks the mother, is it still not living???? I guess I will never comprehend people that think in such selfish ways.

Lua...what you believe the Bible says is based on one of two things...
1. What you understood when you read it front to back in it's entirety.
2. What others have told you it said.

Might I inquire as to which causes you to think it was actually the Bible that condemned sex for anything other than procreation?
It was not the Bible....it was the church that made that assertion.

Bambi just what exactly is your definition of HUMAN?
What differentiates human life from non-human life?

If it is the ability to breath independantly with the use of lungs...a lot of life support and comma patients are no longer human.

If it is the ability to rationalize and effectually make ones own decisions...then all retarded and mentally incapacitated people are not human.

If it is a certain and specific physicall appearance than a lot of people born with physical deformatys and genetic defects are not human.

As for my bacteria...I do not plant a tomato seed and expect to get apples. The fact that the child has yet to mature makes it no less a human. Are children before puberty not human?

If I remember my elementary science life is defined as a growing, breathing entity. There are no set standards for it's methods of growing or breathing. The unborn child is ALIVE by those standards...and is HUMNAN by scientific standards as well.

The problems of simplification

What differentiates human life from non-human life?

If it is the ability to breath independantly with the use of lungs...a lot of life support and comma patients are no longer human.

If it is the ability to rationalize and effectually make ones own decisions...then all retarded and mentally incapacitated people are not human.

If it is a certain and specific physicall appearance than a lot of people born with physical deformatys and genetic defects are not human.

As for my bacteria...I do not plant a tomato seed and expect to get apples. The fact that the child has yet to mature makes it no less a human. Are children before puberty not human?

If I remember my elementary science life is defined as a growing, breathing entity. There are no set standards for it's methods of growing or breathing. The unborn child is ALIVE by those standards...and is HUMAN by scientific standards as well.
If only it were as simple as the simplifications you're exploring.

What constitutes what kind of life is a very strange thing to Americans. We're quite used to whatever we designate actually being whatever we call it. Therefore if a person is designated important, they're important; if a person is designated unworthy of human rights, they are unworthy of human rights.

Very well: the zygote constitutes a living child endowed with all of its rights. What we have here is a conundrum: in the case of an unwanted pregnancy, that endowed child is now violating the rights of another human being. Please point out any other crime against a person which one must endure without legal recourse merely for being a parent. The solution is simple: give that individual life-form the right of self-determination. When I say remove the unwanted and incubate, as I mentioned in previous posts, I'm being melodramatic. You and I both know that such extraction will result in the death of the zygote.

And that's the point. The zygote has no rights.

What if a parent's living habits result in the death of a child? What if, for instance, the child gobbles some of mommy's crank and dies? What if mommy's cold medication makes her drowsy and she runs the car off the road and junior dies? What if mommy beats junior to death?

When pregnancy miscarries, a life will be lost. Failing to report this miscarriage to the proper authorities (e.g. police) will be felonious. Accidental and otherwise unexpected deaths are investigated; sometimes the coroner will come back with something people couldn't avoid, but if that miscarriage is Rh-factor related, the parents are liable for not making sure conception was safe for this person. If it's a genetic ... well, that's a conundrum. If it's fetal-alcohol syndrome, do you send the mother to prison? Who raises the child? Like I mentioned earlier in this topic: if you fall down the stairs in socks and miscarry, have you just murdererd your baby in your negligence?
The fact that the child has yet to mature makes it no less a human. Are children before puberty not human?
You raised a lot of interesting points with your generalizations, but this one sticks out as quite important. Children before puberty, as you know, lack certain human rights. So by that definition, children before puberty are not human. However, there is something about your comparison which points to the Spartan factor I've mentioned before but which you persistently ignore: those two "children", one born and one unborn, are not equal. Jimmy, who is already outside of his maternal transport unit, can run and laugh and likes purple more than yellow, and thinks your sausage-and-mac-and-cheese casserole is heaven. Um ... what is the name of the unborn one? At any rate, that "child" cannot run and laugh and does not have a favorite color, though I think the chemical needs of that growing fetus do, in fact, appreciate the casserole. And before you ask whether or not various maladies of the brain revoke one's human status, the object is to make it into this world. Once you're born, it's just you and the world, and the way we try to make it should be to work toward keeping you here. So like I said, if you can get that unwanted pregnancy out and incubated at an early phase, say, first-trimester, then you're almost ready to replace abortion. Once we can do this, we need to figure out who owns what because if the biological progenitor is rejecting the tissue and we're allowing this removal because the purpose is to save the children and not to force parenthood (and thus create resentment toward the child) then somebody has to take care of these children. I figure the churches would look forward to the day when they can buy minds to mold in the Way, but corporations would love to have lifetime spokespeople, experimental subjects ... and hey, who doesn't need a concubine?

Persistent vegetative states are a different matter, and, indeed, we see that the family has a certain right to terminate life support and allow that coma to deteriorate to death. It would seem that here we see the executive decision to terminate necessary life support is made by someone other than the individual (but lo, the individual barely has the right to make that decision; consider Oregon's right-to-die law). Hmm ... does that mean we can't let flatliners die so long as we can pump oxygen into them and maintain even the slightest electrical signal in the brain? Who can afford forty years of it? Who will pay for it when the family can't? Or does it suddenly, then, become acceptable to terminate necessary life support and entrust the individual to its own progress or death?

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Uhm...yup

Taken,

Apparently you managed to completely miss one of my first posts on this thread. Let me requote the relevant parts for you:

Concerning the "scientific" arguments that fertilized egg = human life. What you don't realize is that a fertilized egg also = 2 human lives. Sometimes even 3. And possibly 4 or more. They're called maternal (or identical) twins, the "natural" version of genetic clones. So obviously there is a fundamental flaw in the argument that traces individuality back to a single fertilized egg. And not just a single flaw.

Many miscarriages occur due to a genetic defect in the developing embryo. In such cases the embryo was never even destined to become an individual; there was only a superficial appearance of potential.

An embryo, especially early-stage embryo, is no more an individual than a woman's liver. At such early stages, it is entirely a parasitic growth. Cancer is also a parasitic growth. It also has all the 46 human chromosomes of a fully formed, sexed, etc. individual. The crux of the issue is that an embryo has no existence apart from the woman's body; it is not an individual.

A genetic defect may result in the embryo producing a newborn with no brain. Instead of a brain, the skull is filled with fluid. This birth defect is called anencephaly. In such a situation, I think it can and should be argued that the resulting "child" is not a human being -- and never will be. And why? Because it does not have a brain. Which is why humanity is determined by the presence of a human brain that is developed enough to function at least at a rudimentary level. First-trimester fetuses are absolutely clearly not so endowed and therefore absolutely clearly not human.

An individual is not determined entirely or even to a vast extent by his biochemical (including genetic) endowment. What we are unwittingly brushing here is the hot-button debate of nature vs. nurture. An enormous part of what makes a human is the human experience. The environment and interactions with the environment have an overwhelming effect in shaping the individual from the very moment of birth and probably even sooner all the way through maturity. This important portion of humanity is not contained in the genes nor in a fertilized egg nor even in a 3 month old protohuman embryo. This also ties into having a brain as a necessary prerequisite for a life to be considered human.

Originally posted by Taken
Lua...what you believe the Bible says is based on one of two things...
1. What you understood when you read it front to back in it's entirety.
2. What others have told you it said.

Might I inquire as to which causes you to think it was actually the Bible that condemned sex for anything other than procreation?
It was not the Bible....it was the church that made that assertion.
what i don't understand is why people say they believe in god and jesus christ and not the church, if the church was who created them.
what i don't understand is, if people don't believe in the religion, but feel god in their hearts, why they they think god give a damn about them if the church was who said that.
but what i do understand is that is very convinient for people to say that the bible is methaphorical. the cruelty in the bible is very clear. you can even say that the stories are methaphores, but you cannot say that there is no cruelty, that the god in the bible do not have an urge and satisfaction with blood.

here are some examples of this god "kindness" (sorry for not putting the texts here, but my bible is in other language. you can look up these in your bible, i'm sure you have one):

- Is 45:7
- Jr 8:11
- Jr 13:14
- 1Sm 15:3
- Mt 10:34-36
- Lc 19:27 (this is one of the human sacrifices that the bible talks about)
- Os 13:16
- Salms 137:9
- Salms 109:6-13
- genesis 3:16
- Levitico 12:2-8 (i'm not sure of the name of this one in english)
- Colossenses 3:18 (i'm not sure of the name of this one either)
- Deuteronomio 22:20-21 (and this one too)
- I Timotheos 2:11-12
- Colossenses 3:22 (where god says slaves must obey thier owners)
- I Timotheos 6:1 (and again here)
- Tito 2:9-10 (and here too)
- exodus 21:20-21
- exodus 21:2-6
- Genesis 19:33-36 (incest. here says that Lot didn't notice that he has sex with his two daughters, but it's, of course, wrong because it's a little difficult to get a erection without noting. note that the women came on him, another story in the bible that show the man innocent and women as the bad seed).
- Lk 14:26

and here you can find something that the muslim terrorists would love: Mt 10:39

i have another document with some biblical incongruences, if you want i can post them here or in another thread.

tiassa.... the egg has commited no crime against the mother...the mother got in the situation, the egg had no say so in the matter. So it is not the eggs responsibility to prevent unwanted pregnancys.
There is no over simplification...where are you going to draw the line?
Nations of Natives were killed because they were deamed sub-human and in possesion of a land that white man felt was his God given destiny. They were considered savages, as Tony likes to remind us. What rights did such an unevolved form of our species have to any of our so called HUMAN rights?

People have been intentionally undermining their pregnancys for generations. It, like the many other wrongs we all commit, we will live with and in some way more than likely pay for. No, we can not regulate and investigate all miscarriages...BUT that isn't my problem with the situation. My stand is that legalizing drive thru abortions and makeing it a socially "acceptable" practice will further propogate the devaluing of human life. A problem we have already seen enough people be killed by or destroyed with.
Government funded tubals and vasectomys are a great idea....insurance should pay for them, as well as birth controll. We need to reinstill a little innocence in our children. Make it NOT OK to get pregnant unless you are ready to accept the consequences as opposed to makeing it "no big deal...You can just abort". By makeing it acceptable to practice abortion we are actually makeing the problem of irresponsibility worse as opposed to better. If there are no consequences...then what is the motivation to be responsible?

Again on the question of prepubesent children: where do you draw the line?
A two week old baby is EVERY bit as dependant on the mother as a pregestational child. He can not even roll over? The only thing he has aquired beyond his womb skills is breathing with his lungs. Which in fact he could do even before he left the womb but is programmed not to due to the amniotic fluid.
How about a three month old? Still has no ability to find food.
When is it a REAL person? When is it a valuable, unique individual? When are we supposed to CARE?

BAMBI: "Many miscarriages occur due to a genetic defect in the developing embryo. In such cases the embryo was never even destined to become an individual; there was only a superficial appearance of potential."

It is a one in a million shot. Any number of things can go wrong, it could have been the egg, could have been the sperm, could have been the mothers ability to carry or her uterus' ability to properly attach the placenta. The embryo was destined to be, the situation or environment was not capable of sustaining it.

What good is a brain if you can't communicate? How does the lack of a fully formed brain at one month give the child any more ability than he has at 7 months term?

The point here guys is we could argue this forever. The issue is the responsibility of those post- pubesent rudementary brain endowed individuals creating these babys to STOP! Abortion issues are only issues AFTER an unwanted pregnancy has been created, and we certainly can't blame that on the egg or the sperm. It's not like the two can casually bump in to one another with out 2 not 1.... BUT 2 people haveing absolutly no regard for the out come of their actions. I think that should be more than enough people to be able to find a way to prevent it.

LUA..the church did not create God. God was around long before the church was ever thought of. Men created the church.
I never said the Bible was metaphorical.

The Bible is a COLLECTION of text, some ancient some not so ancient. Written by many different writters. Some are poems, some are philosophy, some are laws that govern a nation, some are a history of that nation and other nations. It is the biography of Jesus, an account of the blood line of Isreal, a record of events and people and places of a long past era. It is full of personal thoughts, observations, insights, and ideas. That is why it is sooo very very important to read it as close to in context as possible and research areas that are troubling in the interpretation. If there is one thing I can tell you for sure about the Bible...it is that you should NEVER take anyones word for it...you simply have to study it for yourself. If you try getting others to explain it or tell you what it says you will only succeed in confusing yourself to the point of disgust.

When is it a REAL person? When is it a valuable, unique individual? When are we supposed to CARE?

There is no slippery slope, much though you would like to imagine one. The definition based on a functioning brain that is at least potentially endowed with self-awareness is both elegant and sufficient. You cannot bypass it, and you cannot overextend it.

The embryo was destined to be, the situation or environment was not capable of sustaining it.

The point is that "destined to be" isn't the same as "was". See, you have no problem comprehending that much within part of your own argument. Strangely enough, though, you completely neglect that distinction when it comes to the crux of the issue.

Just as well, consider abortion as another unfavorable factor of the environment. This time, the environment actually includes the prospective mother as a human being rather than just a baby factory.

What good is a brain if you can't communicate? How does the lack of a fully formed brain at one month give the child any more ability than he has at 7 months term?

The brain is what makes a human human. When the brain comes into existence, it begins to learn and grow. The brain is the part of the body that contains the individuality, the personality, the self-awareness. Without the brain there are none of those things; i.e. there is no person.

The point here guys is we could argue this forever.

And we will -- untill you get it.

The issue is the responsibility of those post- pubesent rudementary brain endowed individuals creating these babys to STOP!

No, the issue is for all the "pro-lifers" wishing to cast a fetus as a human being to STOP! That devalues humanity far more than any abortion ever could.

Endure this consequence, with the blessings of the Lord

the egg has commited no crime against the mother...the mother got in the situation, the egg had no say so in the matter. So it is not the eggs responsibility to prevent unwanted pregnancys.
What, now it's an egg? Let's stick with the point, it's a fertilized egg, a zygote, a human being as the pro-life argument goes. Whether or not it has committed any "crime" is beside the point. As a person endowed with rights, it has certain responsibilities. It is not a punishment to remove it from a womb, despite the predictable result. It is, rather, endowing that person to survive. As long as that zygote/fetus depends on the mother, it is the executive "property" of the mother and is legally regarded as such. This is just like it being a living child independent in the world: it is still subject to the will of the parent.

Where we draw the line is at the feasibility of overriding a human being's right to self-determination. If that mother does not want the growing fetus, fine. If we can preserve it, fine. We cannot then return it to the parent after its maturation and "birth", for its stewardship will have been awarded to someone else. This, however, is probably for the best. At present, however, we cannot preserve and incubate most of these fetuses.
Nations of Natives were killed because they were deamed sub-human and in possesion of a land that white man felt was his God given destiny. They were considered savages, as Tony likes to remind us. What rights did such an unevolved form of our species have to any of our so called HUMAN rights?
What right to rights? Well, they're humans and they exist. When Christians did kill those tribes, they killed the unborn just like they did any other unborn. I would ask what leaves them a priori without rights, if we must establish what right to rights they have. If it is mere assumption, mere cultural arrogance, then it's balderdash.
People have been intentionally undermining their pregnancys for generations. It, like the many other wrongs we all commit, we will live with and in some way more than likely pay for. No, we can not regulate and investigate all miscarriages...BUT that isn't my problem with the situation.
Quite frankly, it will be your problem with the situation if we establish life according the pro-life, Christian standard. Because as you have pointed out, no we cannot regulate and investigate all the miscarriages, and that once again leaves us with a huge problem: someone recognized as having full rights of being human and self-determining has been made less important. The effect of unwanted pregnancies will be worse, their outcomes more drastic. People will still find ways to miscarry, though hopefully we've got something better than a Dav-Bar.
My stand is that legalizing drive thru abortions and makeing it a socially "acceptable" practice will further propogate the devaluing of human life.
And my stand is that the American economy has the effect of devaluing human life. And my stand is that Christianity has the effect of devaluing human life. As we see, there is much about what we do in society that devalues human life. We could probably spend weeks on the merits of pro-choice and pro-life in terms of "devaluing" or "valuing" human life. But there still exists the small matter of the notion that it matters not; if this is your primary objection, take a number and stand in line.
Government funded tubals and vasectomys are a great idea....insurance should pay for them, as well as birth controll
I'm with you there. All the way. Part of the problem, though, is that there are people who won't accept tubals and vasectomies because they reject God's blessings of life: one is forfeiting the potential of life invested in them according to God's will. I'm aware that this most likely isn't your stance, Taken, but since we're talking about accommodating a religious standard as law, we might as well give consideration to religious standards. But, yes, the availability of birth control options is a necessity toward the goal of reducing abortions.
We need to reinstill a little innocence in our children.
(A note to Bambi: See? You've told them, Spooner's told them. I've said it ....)
Make it NOT OK to get pregnant unless you are ready to accept the consequences as opposed to makeing it "no big deal...You can just abort".
Taken, to follow the prior excerpt into this one for context ... yes, I hear what you mean about "innocence". But consider how many abortions are obtained by people of faith. And they're forgiven; they need merely recommit themselves to Jesus and all will be okay, and all of that was the will of God.

You know, of the people I've known to have abortions, none of them behave in the manner so cruelly applied by the pro-life crowd. Your venom blinds you in some things. I find it just a little foreign, this idea that, It's not a big deal ... you can just abort.

Open your heart: it is a big deal. They know it. Sure, it makes the issue more clear if people really are as thick and stupid and cruel as you'd like to paint them. But they're not. I invite you to consider that even people who believe in Jesus do it; to consider that it is a serious and difficult decision; to consider that people will terminate pregnancies regardless of what the law says.
By makeing it acceptable to practice abortion we are actually makeing the problem of irresponsibility worse as opposed to better. If there are no consequences...then what is the motivation to be responsible?
I'm not sure what bugs me more: the assumption that there are no consequences to abortion, or the assumption that parenthood and children are consequences in such a negative sense. Perhaps we should ask ourselves: If your child is a negative consequence, should you really be raising children?
Again on the question of prepubesent children: where do you draw the line?
A two week old baby is EVERY bit as dependant on the mother as a pregestational child. He can not even roll over? The only thing he has aquired beyond his womb skills is breathing with his lungs. Which in fact he could do even before he left the womb but is programmed not to due to the amniotic fluid.
How about a three month old? Still has no ability to find food.
A two week-old baby has made it outside. Welcome to the world. That is the primary indicator. You do, of course, realize, that abortion is a step forward in history. Judging by various, subjective criteria, if a child of Sparta was deemed somehow unfit, it was left on a hillside to die.
When is it a REAL person? When is it a valuable, unique individual? When are we supposed to CARE
The idea of when to care is a matter of conscience. It is, essentially, 'twixt you and God. The most common criterion for when it is a real person is when it is outside of the mother, on its own, whether or not it can survive. And here I don't mean finding food and so forth, but rather refer to the admirable and tremendous efforts devoted to preventing the deaths of premature births.

In that sense, if the woman for some reason has waited until the second trimester of so, we might be able to harvest at five months, with insurance money, and the insurance company can make its money back selling the parental rights of the harvested individual to the highest bidder. After all, someone has to pay for the hundred thousand dollars worth of respiratory work.

It's a matter of conscience when to care.

The whole of abortion is a tragedy. It's why I call on the religious to remove the fetters that restrict responsibility. We must educate and empower people, not keep them ignorant of what we choose to call sin.

Responsibility is not merely adhering to a bunch of essentially arbitrary rules. Responsibility is knowing why something is right or wrong. It's kind of like a math test: sure, you can get the answers and fill them in, but if you do that, you never learn why x=4. It's well enough to go to a cheat-sheet like the Bible and pretend that it describes right and wrong and all we have to do is believe it true, but it doesn't actually do anything for the elevation of humanity. In order for people to be responsible, they have to understand the way their bodies and minds work, and that even means they have to work for money less. They need time to understand their chemical and physical selves, they're psychospiritual self, and so forth. Sure, they can blindly repress their sexuality, but we see in Victorianism and Puritanism what that brings. Believe it or not, a little bit of carnality is good for people; a proper shag will do the trick more often than not, and, frankly, I prefer people when they're in a better mood and are kinder to one another. To make abstinence = responsibility and leave it at that is to invite wars. Seriously: the tighter we are about sex, the nastier society gets; take a look through history sometime--it's quite ... tragic.

But people are going to shag. And people are going to misfire. And people are going to do what they choose to do regardless of what the law says. Seriously, if you force the issue, a whole generation will start to reject childbearing, the hard way.

Realism helps a great deal when attempting to quantify problems and develop solutions of such magnitude.

You know, maybe it is a matter of conscience and greed: these unwanted children are going to get shit on one way or another. Maybe I just think it's a kinder cut to do it quickly.

Seriously: when we can "save" the abortion and incubate it to maturity, what are you going to do with it? Send it back to the rejecting parents? You're merely trading one human tragedy for another.

Solutions to the abortion problem will present themselves, if any are to be had, at such time that such solutions are possible. As long as we have people so obsessed with economy, for instance, that they are incapable of learning about their myriad selves, it will be a while before the abortion problem abates. We need to educate people toward happiness, so that when life presents an unplanned pregnancy, it is viewed as an opportunity and not a consequence.

thanx,

Tiassa...first let me say in my own defense that my views are not bred by Christian indoctrination. I have openly rejected many of the tight lipped views that come from "church" teaching. My view is simply that of a mother.

"The whole of abortion is a tragedy. It's why I call on the religious to remove the fetters that restrict responsibility. We must educate and empower people, not keep them ignorant of what we choose to call sin. "

You have my support 100% there.

My comment on innocense is not one of suppressing the sexuality of the young. But not giving them the gun untill they are mature enough to handle it and realistic enough to fully appreciate mortality.
The highest abortion rates are among the very young and those over 35. We can easily assume the older ones are due to genetic defects being found such as downs syndrome. (I personally would like to do away with amniocentises, but that too is a matter of opinion.)
Most teenage mothers will quickly tell you that they really had no idea what they were getting in to. They thought a lot of times it would be COOL to have a baby, or that it would make a guy love them, or they would be "grown up" if they did. And most tragically many say they wanted someone who would love them no matter what that they could love. (This again points to the root of the problem to begin with.)

It IS our responsibility to correct those views. To once again instill in them what a seriouse issue and commitment that is. That just like a gun can kill if not treated with respect, that sexuality and sexual activity must have some higher degree of responsibility and seriousness.

Lets revisit the welfare mothers abortion statistics. Haveing babys to increase your welfare check....how wrong is that? Now the statistics say they are aborting the ones who go over the new welfare caps. Here are two problems not one. BOTH could be altered by a more responsible view on procreation and a non-acceptance of such a blatant disregard for the importance, and implications of creating life.

If we could all just agree that the FIRST priority is education, prevention, and correction of the situation. Then our disagreement on the issue of abortion wouldn't need to be on the table so prominently to begin with.

Bambi...I must say I find your particular reasoning quite cruel. As opposed to abortion as an opportunity to save the child from a fate worse than death...you simply seem to think abortion is fine and dandy and possibly even a good practice. I will let the issue go with you since there seems to be no recourse for any type of reasonable discusion.

Taken ...

My comment on innocense is not one of suppressing the sexuality of the young. But not giving them the gun untill they are mature enough to handle it and realistic enough to fully appreciate mortality.
The unfortunate thing is that this is a very subjective line. We've drawn it before with ideas like age of consent, but it doesn't particularly work. Nature will pursue its course regardless of what the parents want. I don't understand the idea that we can give children the gun. Nor do we have to teach them how to shoot.
It IS our responsibility to correct those views. To once again instill in them what a seriouse issue and commitment that is.
And here we'll diverge some. I would assert that separating sex and love is the smartest thing. What sex needs as a sidekick is wisdom, plain and simple.
That just like a gun can kill if not treated with respect, that sexuality and sexual activity must have some higher degree of responsibility and seriousness.
So sex is equal to guns, cars, and ice skating. Baseball. Um .... Okay, part of that treating sexuality with respect is not being ridiculous in our prohibitions. Remember that the state in which God delivers you to this world--e.g. naked--is illegal in most communities. Furthermore, I point toward the Ashcroft lunacy about statues. The nation's collective fellatio-freakout during the Clinton presidency ... yeah ... let's protect children by inundating them with sexuality. You get the picture. But we need to loosen up fundamentally.
Here are two problems not one. BOTH could be altered by a more responsible view on procreation and a non-acceptance of such a blatant disregard for the importance, and implications of creating life.
Do we happen to have the religious-background breakdown of who's having abortions? There is a good part of the culture that already understands this. Yeah, that's right, Christians account for the majority of abortions. This could be expected, statistically. But when I think through, say, my pagan friends who had abortions, those abortions came while they were still in their Judeo-Christian phase. People learned better values than that; so yes, it is possible. I hope you see, though, why I'm so focused on the Christians in this one; a friend of mine is a very strong and, at present, very vocal atheist. But no matter how much he denies that God exists, he operates so dependently on a reference point well-ensconced within the Christian sphere that he is, essentially, still operating according to the paradigm. Many of us have a heightened priority toward sexuality. Unfortunately, we're waiting for some others to catch up; namely, those whose ideologies result in the majority of abortions.

Remember, a Christian woman who aborts has Jesus to forgive her; the rest of the women are on their own with their consciences.

Something about a lack of consequences? Something about the devaluation of human life?
If we could all just agree that the FIRST priority is education, prevention, and correction of the situation. Then our disagreement on the issue of abortion wouldn't need to be on the table so prominently to begin with.
Education, period. Prevention and correction are assigned value judgements. Education properly delivered will allow individuals to make those value judgements properly on their own. Prevention will occur naturally, without focus, but only if education is true and honest. Funny how many things that solution will work toward.

thanx,

Cruelty

Bambi...I must say I find your particular reasoning quite cruel. As opposed to abortion as an opportunity to save the child from a fate worse than death...you simply seem to think abortion is fine and dandy and possibly even a good practice. I will let the issue go with you since there seems to be no recourse for any type of reasonable discusion.

All right, how about a reasonable discussion on cruelty? Just what is it that drives you to conclude my reasoning is cruel? When the appendix is surgically removed, is that an act of appendix cruelty?

The point of unreasonability...?

I will let the issue go with you since there seems to be no recourse for any type of reasonable discusion.
What would God say about that? Didn't Jonah think preaching to Ninevah was unreasonable? Ever since I learned a little bit about Freudian development in high school, it has been quite apparent to me that most people in America operate without any real substance, and use only the most limited segment of the observable result to justify themselves. Take a simple philosophical discussion 'twixt my own brother and I:

* My brother dismisses my brand of liberalism as stupid. Hippies stink because none of them shower (just like all black people must like fried chicken and watermelon? but alas, he says, such generalizations are inappropriate), Salman Rushdie is a pompous fool for reasons not yet established (my brother has a thing about people condemned by governments), and that anyone who attempts to oblige him to anyone else's wellbeing is an attempt at fascism. What, however, is his complaint of my own politics? It makes him feel badly when I talk about capitalism. He feels like I'm calling him a bad person, and I shouldn't do this. I asked him what I'm supposed to think of the people who choose a way of living which requires other people's unnecessary suffering. He reminds me that suffering is necessary; yet here he mixes sufferings; he seems to think the suffering of not getting to buy a car every six months outweighs the suffering of starving to death. Rather, as I pointed out, what he advocates is based solely on greed: the central motivator is collection of a conventional abstract--e.g. capital--and the philosophy eschews obligations to others as dangerous. Helping others should only be done in a way that increases one's own standing as respects the conventional abstraction. But to me it's like Thelema, and I've tried to explain this: even as a Capitalist, I have an obligation to others because without them to buy my wares, what is it all worth? It is, merely, a transformation of the management/labor argument into I and Thou. (My brother and I grew up in a Capitalist household where labor was considered expendable and management was the noble salvation of society.) In the end is simply this: When I condemn capitalism it is because it centers around greed, and a worthless greed. It compels people to agree that something is more important than life itself and then to fight over that something. Apparently, this summarization makes a couple of capitalists I know feel badly. They feel like I'm accusing them of finding money more important than human life. I look back at them and say, "Well?" And it always comes down to the fact that my brother thinks the discussion needs to end because, much like your lament, it doesn't seem I'll be reasonable. (It should be noted in no way do condemnations of my philosophy as stupid and empty and ill-devised reflect on me; if I took their constant abuse of my thought process personally, they would think I was being unreasonable and personalizing the issues too much.)

All of that to ask you a rhetorical question, first: Can you tell me, Taken, what is unreasonable about Life being more important than the abstractions we invent to support it? What is so unreasonable about thinking that ideas like state and economy are supposed to help advance humanity instead of make humanity its servants? Such a fundamental difference is all that separates my brother and I. I'm supposed to be kind and agree that money is worth more than life in order to think like him? If it makes him feel badly that I think his way of living and his view of people requires that other people suffer unnecessarily, then perhaps he needs to think about how people suffer? Perhaps he needs to redraw his sense of responsibility? (We are, after all, blaming the Taliban for a legitimate form of extended responsibility for 9/11, but it's interesting that if you point out the US's responsibility, or the responsibility of economic demands through the same device of extension, the arguments usually aren't considered valid.) In the end, though, the only reasonable solution is for me to rewrite history and elevate greed between people as the greatest thing in the world; it is unreasonable that one should consider that maybe the people are more important than their institutions. Whenever one of my friends witnesses one of these titanic exchanges between my brother and I (which generally take upward of three hours for the storms to bluster out), I just look at them and say, "People think I'm strange--do you wonder why?" I should tape one of those and e-mail you a sample: it truly is amazing. Like how it's wrong and hurtful to pay a fair wage and let economy do its trick, but it's right and they ought to be thankful when we go in with guns and tear the place up in the name of raising their standard of living. Anyone seeking to prove to me that there is a God can produce a random tape of that conversation, because none exists. It would have to be a statistical freak event that is impossible to describe, except to say that if you've read Douglas Adams, you'll know why I say that such an occurrence would prove God to me.

The point, however, is one of unreasonability. Understanding that in my own situation that I'm the one being described as unreasonable, I'm wondering what makes Bambi so unreasonable. I don't like to think of myself as particularly unique in my perspective, but sometimes I feel like it.

What is the point of Bambi's unreasonability? As I read through this debate, neither of you are unreasonable. In a couple of places you both are just resting on your a priori and glaring at each other. I'm sympathetic to both of your presuppositions, but as is quite obvious, the ones I hold true in my own paradigm run closer to Bambi's. Is it unreasonable to say that we will argue about it until you get it? It's that important: the revocation of the equality of women is something that society just itches for, and this is one way the churches have figured out to do it. Sponsor a paradigm that creates an exceptionally unique circumstance--e.g. life at conception--that ignores its theological implications--e.g. God blesses your state of sin before you're even born--in order to say that life begins at conception. It's a political issue at best: in our American heritage, two things stand out in my own particular sense of irony. First, a footnote in Spooner reminding us that the age of consent was 10 years old for a girl to lose her virtue at the time--a juxtaposition he provided to the fact that alcohol was prohibited for irony's sake--and also that one could win that consent, essentially, by paying her; second is the phrase "taking the trade"--our colonial history was rife with intentionally terminated pregnancies; when I look at what was handed down through vague traditions in the form of Witchcraft, I see a striking similarity to the conspiracy of women to keep the knowledge of abortion alive. And when I see something so fundamental to people as to be preserved in that manner, then I tend to award it that fundamental credibility; it's why the concept of abortion is attributed to the fallen angel Kadaye. It is part of the divine knowledge to begin with.

If I'm missing the point of unreasonability it's because I can read through her conclusions and know to a certain, respectable degree of accuracy, what presuppositions are in place and, again with a respectable degree of accuracy, approximately why. I'm sure there are a number of personal things that go beyond the generalizations, but I'm wondering if this point of unreasonability is actually something that can be communicated if we all know what it is.

Anyway, that might been a few more words than interfering in that facet of the debate merits ...

thanx,

Basically. We aren't accomplishing anything by beating the horse any more. Neither is gaining anything from the conversation so I am going to retire myself from it. Nothing more than that.

LUA..the church did not create God. God was around long before the church was ever thought of. Men created the church.
I never said the Bible was metaphorical.
so, if god was't created by the church (therefore by the bible), then god was created by men (if you don'r believe in the biible, you're not going to say that all the divine breakthrough about god, the announcement, etc, was true, are you?)

The Bible is a COLLECTION of text, some ancient some not so ancient. Written by many different writters. Some are poems, some are philosophy, some are laws that govern a nation, some are a history of that nation and other nations. It is the biography of Jesus, an account of the blood line of Isreal, a record of events and people and places of a long past era. It is full of personal thoughts, observations, insights, and ideas.
you just said yourself what i've been saying. the bible was written entirely and just by men, so there is no divine inspiration on it. So, the whole christian/catholic religion is bogus because they say exactly that the bible is divine (all that holy spirit crap). This suits perfectly well the costumes when the buble was written, when there were no human rights.
finally, we come to the conclusion that god was only created to fullfill am empty space inside men, a space that they need to feel they are not alone and to understand the world around us.
as i said before, atheism is not for everyone, just those whi are corageouus to seek the thruth and to face they are alone, which doesn't take away the beauty of the universe, or its mystery. there a lot of things we don't understand yet. but we got to persuade those things and not throw them to a fantastic primitive creator. If we all had this line of thought, scinece would be much more evoluted and perhaps we could be already inhabiting other planets. religion will always be a rock in the middle of the progress path. unfortunately abig rock, because the majority of people still believe in this arcaic god (the same people who benefits from science and its technology... what a hypocrisy).

That is why it is sooo very very important to read it as close to in context as possible and research areas that are troubling in the interpretation.
did you read those parts i posted in my last message? do you really believe that god is kind? do you really believe that god in not revengeful even with people who do what he tells them? How can anyone who reads the bible and say god is good i don't understand. it's filled with blood and revengeful actions. i see clearly we are made from this god semblamnce when i read the bible. this god is so primitive and evil and human beings are. no wonder it was written by human beings themselves.

If there is one thing I can tell you for sure about the Bible...it is that you should NEVER take anyones word for it...you simply have to study it for yourself.
and it says in the bible to not do that. it says you have to believe the word of god without questioning or else you will burn in hell after the jugment day. see how all the bible messages are mistaken these days? even catholics and christian don't know what the hell is written in the bible, maybe that's because they don't actuaaly read the bible (all the catholics i know NEVER take the bible to read, they say it's boring and they already know the message of god).

If you try getting others to explain it or tell you what it says you will only succeed in confusing yourself to the point of disgust.
did you do that? did you take the bible and read for yourself (i'm, not talking when you were young, i'm talking about these days). do you read the bible? all of it or only the good parts (i mean, only the parts the priests read in mass day)? Do you agree with the passages god talking about how it's ok to have slaves, how women must obey men, how you have to sacrifice himan lives for this god?
if you do, well, i rest my case. there's nothing i can tell you that can lead this debate into a serious and humanitary path. there's nothing i can say to this sick mind.

take care.

If the men who recorded the events in the Bible were inspired by God to put the events in writting then yes it is divinely inspired.
But it is not ALL directly out of the mouth of God. Much of the Old Testament is a written history of Isreal...and yes just like every other nation in the world they had wars...And just like every other nation in the world they felt they were justified in the killing.

Yes I have read the Bible in it's entirety several times and have spent the better part of my life studying and researching it. I have no idea what verses are read in mass...I have never been to a mass.

Much of what was done in the Bible and since were actions of men, not God. Why does God allow it? Well if He made us puppets as opposed to haveing a free will we would bitch about that too.

Gods existance was recorded by men LONG before what you and I know as the Bible was ever written. Texts far more ancient than the Jewish books of law have spoken of God.

Men did not create God...but have certainly tried to re-create Him over and over in order to make Him what they want Him to be.

Athiest are not exclusivly courageouse...often stepping out on the thinner wire is far more difficult...exspecially when you are placeing the eternity of your soul on the line.

The Bible does not forbid questioning it. It says to seek wisdom like the finest jewels. It says to search the word of God. It says that knowledge is preciouse.

On the slaves and womens rights...again you have to take it in context as it was written and remember you are reading about real people with social status lines and cultural limitations. Just because it tells you the way things really were in a certain time or culture does not mean the same thing as God makeing it so. These men had free wills too. There are some recent threads here discussing slavery in the Bible and womens rights in the Bible that list many verses of the Bible you may not be as familiar with.

I hear a lot of bad feelings on the Bible from people with a catholic back round...I myself have never had any experience with what they teach.

My advice would be to forget everything they taught you in church and approach the Bible open mindedly, read it thru...and then use your own common sense and reasoning to understand what is actually being said.

But it is not ALL directly out of the mouth of God.
let me guess, the good things can be claimed to god, but the bad to men?

Much of the Old Testament is a written history of Isreal...and yes just like every other nation in the world they had wars...And just like every other nation in the world they felt they were justified in the killing.
the exception being that GOD himself incites war most of the time in teh bible. i can surely find some of these passages for you.

Yes I have read the Bible in it's entirety several times and have spent the better part of my life studying and researching it. I have no idea what verses are read in mass...I have never been to a mass.
for the above, i see you read it with christian eyes and not critical eyes (critical doesn't mean you should read the bible as being wrong, but as as outsider view).

Much of what was done in the Bible and since were actions of men, not God. Why does God allow it? Well if He made us puppets as opposed to haveing a free will we would bitch about that too.
and doesn't him? what about this one Gn 26:2? and this 1Sm 15:3? (among many others). by the way, telling me what to do, what is sin and what is not, is pretty much manipulating me. there's no free will in the bible: a god tells you to live as his way or you will go to hell and that is it. there's no "do qhat you think is right", and yes "do it, or i will kill you in the judgment day". are you sure you are reading your bible right?

Gods existance was recorded by men LONG before what you and I know as the Bible was ever written. Texts far more ancient than the Jewish books of law have spoken of God.
that's because all religions that aquire a god come from the sumerian religion. they are copy cat of that one, including a lot of its stories. so it wasn't catholics who created god, it was sumerians, big deal, just change the dates, but the fear and the curiosity to put a force therein instead of discovering it through science (aka, observation) is the same.

Men did not create God...but have certainly tried to re-create Him over and over in order to make Him what they want Him to be.
you have no proof in saying "men did not create god", just your urge. a lot of things that can be entitled as god's work can now be explained by science, and what isn't, just wait some years and our technology will get there. scientists don't do magic, it takes a brain to explain things (and time because a brain is a brain, even being the magnificient thing that it is)

Athiest are not exclusivly courageouse...often stepping out on the thinner wire is far more difficult...exspecially when you are placeing the eternity of your soul on the line.
it's this case... because atheists (and i'm speaking about those connected to the science as myself, many aren't) take as truth those things that are proved, while religious people believe in unicorns.

and don't even get me started in this "you're going to hell" bullshit because this is so much more unbeliveble than unicorns. you have no base for that, there's no fucking hell inside the earth or anywhere else the religious could place it, and just the fact that the bible is so primitive and so wrong in explaining science can ALONE AND ENOUGH prove that everything else is wrong. it's like this: "if the bible was wrong describing the beginning of the world, why should i believe in it describing the end of it?".

and if "placing the enternity of your soul on the line" is what atheists do, then we sure are the bravest people around. your god is barbareous just in creating a supposed wiorld like this. sure, he cares about us in this big vast universe with almost certainly so many other creatures. by the way, isn't it funny (and bizarre) that the only way religious people will cease a conversation is saying we're gonna die in hell. and the funniest is that they don't have any proof for that just "what i feel in my heart" and "what my mon told me". get a opinion for yourself.

The Bible does not forbid questioning it. It says to seek wisdom like the finest jewels. It says to search the word of God. It says that knowledge is preciouse.
read then 1Co 1:19, Lc 19:27 and exodus 22:19

On the slaves and womens rights...again you have to take it in context as it was written and remember you are reading about real people with social status lines and cultural limitations. Just because it tells you the way things really were in a certain time or culture does not mean the same thing as God makeing it so. These men had free wills too. There are some recent threads here discussing slavery in the Bible and womens rights in the Bible that list many verses of the Bible you may not be as familiar with.
did you read it carefully? it says specifically that GOD himself said those things. now you are going to say that it was a bad interpretation when the words "lord said" are therr??

I hear a lot of bad feelings on the Bible from people with a catholic back round...I myself have never had any experience with what they teach.
that's why you still believe them. let me ask you something: i have a catholic and scientific background. do you have both to? did you take some time in your liife to look to the other side of the discussion, to leans a little bit of science? or you are like most of other catholics that say something but aren't aware with what they are fighting with. you can't just know one side of the dialogue.

My advice would be to forget everything they taught you in church and approach the Bible open mindedly, read it thru...and then use your own common sense and reasoning to understand what is actually being said. [/B]
i did that. actually, my catholic background did only showed the goodface of the god in the bible. i took a special interest in science and since science don't believe in god because it doesn't have proof of its existence, i started to research my religion (and a little bit of others). then, i saw that all they had taught me was wrong, that god was also a bad character and that none i had heard all my life made sense. my entire family who is still catholic don't have a interest in science and of course they still believe what they were taught in school. and of course they don't read the bible.

i don't want as a result to change your opinion, this is one man's task. what i'm saying is, instead of spreading what you were told about, go and take a search in sciemce, see the evidence scientist gathered to explain the scientific stuff in the bible, see that, besides the stories that could happen, everything else can be explained by scientists, therefore there's no sense in believing in something that can be parcial rightful, specially if all it leaves are just some stories about some people. See that human beings are just another creation of nature, not more special than ants. See that the universe is so vast, even vaster than we can think of, and that can hold so much more life, more evoluted life and more primitive life. See we only see the dimensions and objects the way they are because it's only what we need in order to our species to survive (if we had senses we didn't need to survive, we would be wasting energy) See that there's no need of a god to the universe to function. See that science can be more beautiful, fantastical and bigger than any god entitity or paranormal activity. and we actually can comprehend it.

a god tells you to live as his way or you will go to hell and that is it. there's no "do qhat you think is right", and yes "do it, or i will kill you in the judgment day". are you sure you are reading your bible right?

Actually, according to the Bible, the only way not to go to Hell is to accept Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour. You can do all the sinning you want as long as you accept Jesus. It's like a get out of jail for free card. Isn't it Amazing!!!!!:D

Lightbeing...

Yea!! It's amazing, murders, child molesters, serial killers, dictators, politicians, Osama Bin Laden, all go to heaven only if they believe in jesus!. This heaven is sounding more like hell everyday!!. :rolleyes:

I have no problem with science. If God in fact exists than I would thouroughly expect it to be scientifically proveable. I think mine and your difference here is that you say they have not proven a supernatural diety...I agree, and since that is not what I believe God is that doesn't phase me.

As for slavery...show me a verse in the Bible where God commands that men own slaves.

If you want to chalk all those wars up to God and not being influenced by men then lets throw Americas protestant fore-fathers and their "Manifest Destiny" in there as an add on to the commandments of God.
When we are closed minded we tend to expect the unreasonable. We are not puppets and in fact we do as the human race make our own cultural and religouse laws not God. So why insist on blaming our own choices on Him? In some cultures women were in fact dominate in others they are sub-serviant....is that Gods doing or societys? But as for womens first priority being to give and care for life and a mans to provide...that is only sexist if you view it as a subserviant role. I count it as a blessing to be entrusted with the future of the species and entrusted with something so honerable as giving life.

Beyond any and all religion the FACT is that WOMEN can give birth and men can't...is that not also scientific and natural? What has it to even do with God saying that is our duty?
No where in the Bible are women said to be of less value than a man, and no where does it say we are not equally as loved or worthy. Nor does it in any instance portray a woman as less. My role is different but of no less importance.

No, not all good was God and all bad was man.....good actions come from the good hearts and good intentions of men. Bad actions from the opposite. We are free willed...yet we want to blame everything and everyone but ourselves for our own mess.

The Bible is a Spiritual guide, a book of much wisdom and understanding...understanding both the good in man and the potential for bad in men.

You quote the "hell fire" verses...much like a preacher but with an opposite ajenda....and just like them you completely miss the bigger picture...the actuall message that was being given.

Back