Scientists Deem Creation to Be the Most Rational Explanation of Universe

Woody said:
Here's one for you evilutionists:

Has anyone created life from inert ingredients? This should be a really easy task shouldn't it? I mean after all it was just a little electricity hitting the right combination of goo to get it all started wasn't it? Who was it that thought they would find primordial goo all over the ocean bottom, wasn't it Huxley?

If an accident started life with no plan whatsoever, then surely man with his all-wise brain can figure it out can't he? If man can't figure out something that easy he must really be dumb! Man's mind outdone by a whim of nature, this is getting hilarious. If we really want to accomplish something, then the best thing to do is not plan! Doesn't that make sense? Chaos is better than a plan. Har Har. Yeah boy, that really screws things up in the engineering world!

I checked out abiogenesis in the Wikepedia, and here is a direct quote:

no one has yet synthesized a "protocell" using basic components which has the necessary properties of life (the so-called "bottom-up-approach"). Without such a proof-of-principle, explanations have tended to be short on specifics.

Well it looks like they are real short on results and extra long on theories. Nothing has changed since the Miller experiment in 1953. Appalling! :rolleyes:

To presume it can't be understood because it hasn't necessarily been so as of yet, is remniscent of the dark ages. Perhaps it cannot, but this in no way justifies your presumption of a godular solution. In fact, you do a dis-service to the concept of god to invoke it as you do. It's dispicable.

Wes said:

To presume it can't be understood because it hasn't necessarily been so as of yet, is remniscent of the dark ages. Perhaps it cannot, but this in no way justifies your presumption of a godular solution. In fact, you do a dis-service to the concept of god to invoke it as you do. It's dispicable.

Woody: Wes, I just think it is a remarkable stretch of faith to believe that life sprang from inert ingredients. Why isn't it happening now? Why didn't it happen millions upon millions of times throughout the eons? Why did we all come from the same ball of magic goo? If it happened once then the laws of statistics say it is possible and indeed likely to happen again given enough time. Isn't 4 billion years enough time?

A plan is always better than random chance, but the plan isn't good enough to create life. Maybe the wrong mentality is doing the planning, maybe a supreme mentality is needed to make it happen. Who has the smarts to figure it all out I ask you? You tell me that no mentality at all was needed, that a mindless act of nature made it happen, and to me this is a bigger stretch than believing in God.

Hapsburg said: “ Originally Posted by ellion
who created god? ”
people did, out of need to explain things that confused them.

Woody: You believe God is dead. Who killed Him?

If it happened once then the laws of statistics say it is possible and indeed likely to happen again given enough time. Isn't 4 billion years enough time?
4 billion years is indeed a long time, long enough for the conditions that allowed life to start to change millions of times over.

Why don't we see it happening today? Well, how many pools of amino acids do you see in the wild? Even if a simple organic organism came about again how would we recognize it? How would it survive long enough to evolve into a real life form when the Earth is already full of life that will contest it?

and to me this is a bigger stretch than believing in God.
There's a difference between believing in creation and believing in the Christian God. Christianity has a lot of extra junk attached to the belief of creation, and I think that's why a lot of people are so reluctant to believe it. I have no problem acknowledging that life may have been created, but that doesn't mean I'm going to accept Christianity and all the baggage that comes with it.

Woody: You believe God is dead. Who killed Him?

I believe - quite accurately I'd think - that the concept of "death" for instance, as applied to the concept of "god" is highly uhm... well, egotistical to apply... as well as any other kind of assertion you may choose to apply to something that is necessary far beyond human comprehension.

Xelios said, 4 billion years is indeed a long time, long enough for the conditions that allowed life to start to change millions of times over. Why don't we see it happening today? Well, how many pools of amino acids do you see in the wild? Even if a simple organic organism came about again how would we recognize it? How would it survive long enough to evolve into a real life form when the Earth is already full of life that will contest it?

Woody: This is one of the arguments I find so nonsensical. First we hear happened millions of times over in the past, then we hear all the reasons why it can't happen today. Life should be originating all the time even today. Sure you have plenty of dead organic matter around - ther are the amino acids you are looking for. Now all we need is 'er spontanious generation! But that's evolutionary passe' theory. So around and around the evolutionary circle we go, spinning our way along with plenty of new theories but no proof that life can be created from dirt.

Woody

The fact that you don't understand evolution does not preclude the fact it has and is still occuring, nor does it confirm creationism.

Woody said:
Woody: Wes, I just think it is a remarkable stretch of faith to believe that life sprang from inert ingredients. Why isn't it happening now? Why didn't it happen millions upon millions of times throughout the eons? Why did we all come from the same ball of magic goo? If it happened once then the laws of statistics say it is possible and indeed likely to happen again given enough time. Isn't 4 billion years enough time?
whose to say it has'nt, life could be emerging somewhere in the universe right now and also becoming extinct somewhere else there could be more advance civilizations, and lesser civilzations, dont be so arrogant as to think that your special.

woody said:
hapsburg said:
ellion said:
who created god?
people did, out of need to explain things that confused them.
You believe God is dead. Who killed Him?
he never said a god existed, so it cant be dead as it never existed, now can it.

Q said: Woody The fact that you don't understand evolution does not preclude the fact it has and is still occuring, nor does it confirm creationism.

Woody: I never denied that some forms of evolution are provable, such as speciation. I was indoctrinated in evolution from a secular school and university like everyone else, and I even believed it explains how we got here. but the more I learned about it, the more frustrated and disappointed I became. I'll sum it up by quoting an agnostic: "Even four billion years wasn't enough time for dirt to evolve to humanity."

I remember how evolutionists sneered at spontaneous generation as pure nonsense. All life comes from other life they say. Yet that's the theory that supposedly explains how life got started: a pool of primordail goo was struck by a lightning bolt and presto -- living organisms. Well dead animals all decay back to a pool of lipids plus amino acids. It has happened trilllions of times -- there are your available resources -- but hey life can't come out of them -- right? Neither can someone rise from the dead can they?

I agree with biologists in that all life comes from previous life. This is logical. God is alive and he brought us life. Yes indeed all life comes from life. :D

Woody, several points:

You said the effect cannot be greater than the cause, but it happens all the time. I gave the example of very pure water (not snowflakes, but a flask, for instance) at below freezing temeratures. If it is very pure, it will not freeze, this has been demonstrated in the lab. Yet, when one particle of dust touches it, the whole container will freeze solid instantly. So, the effect- a large container of water freezing up instantly was caused by one dust particle, the effects are greater than the cause. Also, a nuclear bomb is a good example of an effect being greater than the cause.

God can not be both master and slave to the universe. This violates the law of exclusive middles: You say God must be both master of the universe (because he created it) AND He must not be master of the universe (because He is subject to the laws of his own creation). This logically impossible.
Since God controls everything, he must not be separate from it, so it seems entirely possible that God IS the universe. If this is the case, then following his own laws is just a personality trait. He couldn't NOT follow his laws anymore than you can touch your elbow to your chin.

no one has yet synthesized a "protocell" using basic components which has the necessary properties of life (the so-called "bottom-up-approach"). Without such a proof-of-principle, explanations have tended to be short on specifics.
True, but such experiments are being attempted right now.
YOU might think Norman Packard is playing God. Or you might see him as the ultimate entrepreneur. As founder and CEO of Venice-based company ProtoLife, Packard is one of the leaders of an ambitious project that has in its sights the lofty goal of life itself. His team is attempting what no one else has done before: to create a new form of living being from non-living chemicals in the lab.

Breathing the spark of life into inanimate matter was once regarded as a divine prerogative. But now several serious and well-funded research groups are working hard on doing it themselves. If one of them succeeds, the world will have met alien life just as surely as if we had encountered it on Mars or Europa. That first alien meeting will help scientists get a better handle on what life really is, how it began
There was also an experiment that recreated the original conditions of early earth, a soup of chemicals run through artificial lightning. Weeks later, scientists found complex organic molecules like amino acids, suitable for the building blocks of life.

S/G said: Coyotes, wolves, and foxes and dogs are all different species. The various types of dogs haven't speciated, since their domestication is relatively recent.

Woody: Yet they can interbreed. They are called hybrids but the offspring are capable of breeding as well.
OK, I have heard of wolves breeding with dogs, but I doubt there are fertile fox-dog hybrids, and anyway, it doesn't prove anything. Before speciation, there are long periods where interbreeding is still possible. Zebra/horse hybrids are possible, too, and they are different species. It all happens gradually, from our point of view.

Woody: Wes, I just think it is a remarkable stretch of faith to believe that life sprang from inert ingredients. Why isn't it happening now?
Good question, the answer is that there is so much life around now, that any organic material that can't defend itself is rapidly consumed. Besides, water is far from inert, it is an incredible solvent, dissolving an amazing number of materials, and when it circulates under the seabed at high pressure, it dissolves even more minerals.

I'll sum it up by quoting an agnostic: "Even four billion years wasn't enough time for dirt to evolve to humanity."
This is an argument from incredulity. You can't believe it, therefore it didn't happen. And, if there was dirt, there was life. Without life, there is only rock and sand.

SG: This is an argument from incredulity. You can't believe it, therefore it didn't happen. And, if there was dirt, there was life. Without life, there is only rock and sand.

Woody: Well, actually I believe man came from dirt too. In your belief system it took 4 billion years. In mine it took less than a second.

If God is so smart that it only took a second, then why so many errors? Why vestigal body parts?

I thought of something, evolution must have happened in God's mind! His thought process must have mirrored what we think of as the evolutionary process. So, what's the difference between this, and it happening "out loud", or in nature?

...The difference is only time, and age can be determined scientifically.

Another thing, what happened in that second? Do you think that God only created the first cell from component parts that already existed, or did he create all life that now exists at once?

SG said: If God is so smart that it only took a second, then why so many errors? Why vestigal body parts?

Woody: Because of degeneration. It has also shortened man's life. As you know, almost all mutations are bad, hence vestigial wings on a fruit fly.

SG: You said the effect cannot be greater than the cause, but it happens all the time. I gave the example of very pure water (not snowflakes, but a flask, for instance) at below freezing temeratures. If it is very pure, it will not freeze, this has been demonstrated in the lab.

Woody: I say B.S. Water has a defined freezing temperature, and there is no such thing as pure water anyway. Besides, eutectic (impure) solutions always have a lower freezing point and higher boiling point than the pure substance. This is just plain old Le Chatelier's principle at work.

Le Chatlier

Just put in a little salt dust and watch what happens to your freezing experiment. In order for water to freeze solid it must give up the latent heat of fusion. Where is all that heat going to go anyway Into one little tiny little dust particle? BS. BS. BS.

I disagree with several things:

Most mutations are neutral, not harmful.
Fruit flies don't have vestigal wings. I think they do have counter-balancing mechanisms that evolved from wings.
Water that is pure will not freeze in a dust-free environment, and can be made colder at sea level pressure than 0 degrees C.
Supercooled water

Really clean water often won't freeze until it is much colder than 0 oC. It's a bit like moving house. There's another place across town with an extra bedroom and two bathrooms, and it's $50 a month cheaper than your current house. But the prospect of packing up all your gear, renting a U-Haul truck and asking friends to help you move, signing a new lease, it's all too much hassle. This is known is physics as a nucleation barrier. Now, when the rent is lowered another $50, you might actually go to the trouble of moving. It's the same with ice. Below 0oC, although ice is favored because it's the lowest energy state, it costs some energy to get from water to ice, because the intermediate state is mostly interface molecules that cost a lot of energy. Now if the water isn't so clean and has some specks of dust in it, the ice can start to grow on these and the cost isn't so high (maybe it's the equivalent of already owning a truck, or moving to another apartment in the same block). Water drops in clouds often contain such particles that help them freeze, such as small clay particles swept up from ground level, or small fragments of biological matter such as bacteria. Still, some droplets supercool to around -40 oC, and the issue of ice nucleation is one of the current hot topics.

http://www.geophys.washington.edu/People/Students/neilb/ice.html

Woody: Because of degeneration. It has also shortened man's life. As you know, almost all mutations are bad, hence vestigial wings on a fruit fly.
So, species degenerate over time? Then all species must be young (and many are old). How do you explain vestigal pelvic bones inside a whale? No mutation in a sea creature could produce a land-animal's pelvic bones unless that sea creature used to be a land-creature!

In order for water to freeze solid it must give up the latent heat of fusion. Where is all that heat going to go anyway Into one little tiny little dust particle? BS. BS. BS.
The heat will go into the water itself! Yes, the water will heat up as it crystallizes.

SG:

This defies everything I learned in material science about nucleation. Why doesn't the side of the glass do the trick or any other irregularity that projects from the glass's surface? What if the projecting material is 99.99% surrounded by water like a whisker protruding from the glass? What material is the dust particle made of (it better not be salt)?

In the case of snowflakes, the water vapor actually reverse sublimates into crystals -- there is no liquid phase. I read your article, and it is rather simple. The author says snowflakes are a mystery -- no not really. Reverse sublimation takes water vapor from vapor phase to solid phase and there is no liquid phase. Hence the ice crystals build on ice particles, not dust particles.

As for the latent heat of fusion, the author of the article said it would be released to the air, which makes sense as long as there is a temperature change to drive it (ie air temperature is below freezing).

Then we get to the biggest sticking point of all. It has to do with % frozen material. At 20 degrees F water is not 100% frozen, neither is it completely frozen at 0 degrees F. Le Chatelier's Principle explains it: there are always molecules that resist the change and act as a stabilizing influence. So what % frozen is the 31 degree F water in your example? This is a big problem in the preservation of food products. Check out the ASHRAE journal: the mechanical engineer's bible on heating, air conditioning and cryogenics:

ASHRAE

By the way I'm a degreed mechanical engineer, and I passed the Professional Engineer exam. You better believe some of this stuff was on it!

Here is a link on eutectic solutions:

Eutectic properties

Le Chatelier's Principle tells us that a mixture of two materials has a lower freezing point than either of the materials by itself. Therefore when you add something to water you more than likely lower the temperature at which it is capable of freezing.

Last edited:
As you know, almost all mutations are bad, hence vestigial wings on a fruit fly.

Do you mean the "halteres"? They are a modified hind wing that serve to control lift and stabilize flight.

The whole "good bad thing" gets confused with some mutations. The Sickle Cell Anemia gene is very bad in many cases but it confers resistance to malaria so it's also an example of a good mutation.

fadeaway: Some even stayed there.

Woody: Some are living proof that life evolved from scum.

Back