Retired Drug Dogs

Orleander
I think if your kid is an addict, the trust is already gone.

If it is then making it worse is still not a good answer.

Also being an "addict" is not necessarily the end of the world. While a some do die or never shake it, a large number of people flirt with addiction, get tired of it and move on. One study, which I wish I could put my finger on at the moment, found most (I believe it was around 75%) problems with addictive substances resolve in 2-5 years with or without treatement. One of the few exceptions was tobacco.

Either way, I value trust and an honest flow of education and communication far more than "drug" dogs.

Extraneous

Orleander said:

I think if your kid is an addict, the trust is already gone.

If your kid is an addict, what do you need the dog for?

wouldnt it be nicer and better for the whole family if you asked the child about drugs, if you spoke to the child about drugs from a young age you wont be needing sniffer dogs

wouldnt it be nicer and better for the whole family if you asked the child about drugs, if you spoke to the child about drugs from a young age you wont be needing sniffer dogs

I was always curious about that does speaking to children about drugs when they are young really affect the choices they make as teenagers or adults. My mother did talk about drugs and drinking when I was little, of course she didn't have to we had a drunk in the family, however I remember all of the anti-drug stuff that we did in elementary school and I can't say any of that stuff really had an effect on my decision on whether or not to drugs. I don't do drugs because I have yet to find one that I wouldn't mind putting in myself (hate smoke, won't inject, snorting hurts...etc) And I don't drink even though I'm of age now because alcohol tastes bad.

If your kid is an addict, what do you need the dog for?

Because the kids' room can be searched without needing them. And the room isn't torn apart, the dog is let in and makes a 'tell' when they find it. Easy, no fuss, no muss

Skewed priorities?

Orleander said:

Because the kids' room can be searched without needing them. And the room isn't torn apart, the dog is let in and makes a 'tell' when they find it. Easy, no fuss, no muss

Well, as you've moved from parental suspicion to adolescent addiction, this still seems to be about your convenience as a parent.

If recovery is your goal, it's going to be messy and difficult. If showing your parental authority is the point, hell, go with the dog.

No fuss, no muss? I sincerely doubt your priorities.

What, are you going to hire a dog twice a week or something?

Keep rolling your eyes. You're showing us what's important to you.

Orleander said:

:rolleyes:I was thinking daily, you know how sneaky and devious kids are.

Yeah. Almost as sneaky and devious as adults. They make up for the deficit with creativity, of course, but none of that says anything about priorities.

So tell us about yours. What's important? Recovery or authority? What do you hope for in recovery, health and happiness, or health through obedience and conformity?

If recovery is your genuine priority, the dog will only complicate things.

If you want access to your kid's stash that bad just ask, I'm sure they won't mind sharing.

Dang kids get access to all the good stuff.

CutsieMarie89

If you don't mind advice from some one who's been around the block a time or two, booze sucks. But it is loads of fun to be with people who don't know this. Be the perminant designated driver and you will have endless entertainment and free refreshments (they should be buying for you).

But NEVER use your car. Drinkers puke and they should puke in a drinker's car, not yours.

Back