Retired Drug Dogs

But Asguard wouldn't you need to determine first whether or not your child was using drugs then take the steps necessary to correct the problem or do you want to wait until they are addicts before you treat them? :shrug:

and what exactly do you think will happen when you go up to your teenaged son\daughter and demand a unrine sample, or they catch you with a drug dog in there room?

Say at this point they arnt doing drugs

how much trust is going to be left

then your son starts hearing voices, your daughter gets raped on a date. Who would they go to?

This is a recipy for DRIVING someone to drug abuse and has to be the fucking stupist idea i have EVER herd. Its the adolesant equivlant of saying "lets shake the baby and see what happens"

A little off topic but my favourite pet ever ( bull terrier kelpie cross) bailed me up and insisted I share my pasta al funghi ( that's with goldentops, of course), I had plenty so I gave him a big bowl which he devoured with gusto ( and a little garlic).

What a funny, funny, funny night that was. Drug dogs rule.

then your son starts hearing voices, your daughter gets raped on a date. Who would they go to?

Perhaps your son is raping your daughter and that's the sounds he hears of her screaming! :p:D

I think this is an excellent idea. I just wonder that if the dogs find drugs, the the company required to call the cops? Probably not since they let the parents make the final search.

Sniffer dogs in teenage bedrooms

Retired sniffer dogs that have spent years on police patrol are now working in the private sector in the US - sniffing out teenagers' bedrooms.

Parents can rent a dog and handler for $200 (£125) an hour from Sniff Dogs, a firm operating in New Jersey and Ohio.

The dogs are highly trained and can detect illegal drugs.

The company says the animals can smell marijuana from up to 15 feet away (5m) and residue on clothing from drugs smoked two days earlier.

The dogs sit when they detect the drugs but they leave the final inspection to the parents.....

So one begins to relate to one's children the way the state relates to suspected criminals.

Also if the dogs are retired, why make them work. It seems like a contradiction to me.

Orleander said: I think this is an excellent idea.

I think teenagers should hire the dogs to sniff their parents. And teenagers should demand piss tests from their parents.

i also think teenagers should have the right to call in authorities to have searches of parental belongings....

Why?
1) if the parents use drugs it could be dangerous for the children
2) clearly a significant number of parents do drugs
3) children need professional help when investigating their parents

I think this is an excellent idea.

Of course many parents may be upset to find their belongings searched and their bodies and belongings pawed ove by dogs while handlers move through their private spaces and at random times. But they should support their children's right to guarantee a safe home.

If the parents have nothing to hide, what's the problem?

Asguard said:

and what exactly do you think will happen when you go up to your teenaged son\daughter and demand a unrine sample, or they catch you with a drug dog in there room?

Say at this point they arnt doing drugs

An American family scene:

FATHER: Sweetheart, please sit down, we need to talk.

DAUGHTER: O ... kay. (sits down) What's up?

MOTHER: We need to talk to you about the drugs.

DAUGHTER: Drugs?

FATHER: Honey, we know you're using drugs.

DAUGHTER: What?!

MOTHER: Don't lie to us. It only makes things harder. We want to help.

DAUGHTER: But I'm not on drugs.

MOTHER: You know, they say denial is one of the clearest indicators.

DAUGHTER: Oh, for god's sake!

MOTHER: Don't talk to me like that, young lady. The dog found—

DAUGHTER: Dog? What dog?

FATHER: (cautiously) Your mother has been worried because you've been high-strung and erratic lately. We hired a sniffer dog to come in an search your room.

DAUGHTER: You what?!

MOTHER: He found drug residue on your clothes.

DAUGHTER: What clothes? You searched my room?!

MOTHER: Your jeans, and one of your t-shirts.

DAUGHTER: Oh, god. You mean my black jeans and the Radiohead t-shirt?

MOTHER: Yes.

DAUGHTER: You mean the black jeans and Radiohead t-shirt I wore the other night, when Daddy took me to see Radiohead for my birthday?

FATHER: (coughs quietly, looks away)

MOTHER: Sweetheart, we only want what's best for you. If you're smoking marijuana—

DAUGHTER: What the fuck! It was a Radiohead show! Of course there were people smoking pot! Jesus, did the dog sniff Dad's clothes, too?

FATHER: (shakes head with face in hands)

MOTHER: Why are you getting so defensive?

DAUGHTER: Well, holy shit, mom. I'm "high strung" and "erratic", and you think I'm smoking pot?

MOTHER: Well—

DAUGHTER: So you hire a sniffer dog to search my room?

MOTHER: We only want what's best—

DAUGHTER: I don't believe this! You hired a dog to search my room? God, what's next? If I get tired, are you going to think I'm on cocaine?

MOTHER: Sweetheart, we love you. If you're having a problem with cocaine, we need—

DAUGHTER: Shut up! Shut up shut up shut ... up!

MOTHER: Honey ....

DAUGHTER: Just stop! What the hell do you think you're doing? Did you ever think to ask me?

MOTHER: Well, we thought—

DAUGHTER: No! You wanna know? Tried beer. It sucks! Tried Jack Daniels. Threw up! Can't stand the smell of cigarettes. The smell of pot gives me a headache. Coke? Crank? What kind of moron do you think I am?

MOTHER: Sweetheart ....

DAUGHTER: No! Seriously, what would ever make you think I was on drugs?

FATHER: (quietly, gently bangs head against table)

MOTHER: We just—

DAUGHTER: No. Just ... don't. I don't even want to talk to you right now. (flounces out) God damn it ... I don't fucking believe this shit. (turns around at end of hallway, shouts back) I hate you! (enters bedroom, slams door)

FATHER: (quietly) Oh, god damn it. What have we done?

MOTHER: That's it. We need to find out what she's on.

FATHER: (looks incredulous)

You know, I think it was back in the '90s that some lab came up with this bizarre scheme. A parent was supposed to sneak into the kid's room at night, cut off a lock of hair, and send it to the lab for testing to see what drugs the kid was using.

Look, it's actually fairly easy to tell if someone's on drugs. Even teenagers. Okay? I don't yet understand why parents get so confused about the difference between "normal" (whatever that means) teenage changes and what happens when a kid discovers drugs. The difference, to me, is night and day. Maybe something will happen when my daughter gets to be that age, and suddenly I won't be able to tell up from Tuesday. But really, you walk through the crowd and you can tell whose kids are on drugs. Now, maybe it helps if you've done drugs yourself, but seriously. One of the easiest things in the world is to watch what someone laughs at. The change may seem subtle, but once you figure it out, it's like watching Dogma. You can tell who's a hardened atheist, who actually paid attention in history and literature classes, and who is actually Catholic. Seriously, there's at least two separate valences of humor taking place in that film. Anyone can laugh at "shit demon". Indeed, anyone can laugh at a priest blessing his golf clubs. But how they laugh at the golf clubs is important. And only a few people will notice that Bethany blessed the water wrong. (It actually fits with the character, but still, not many people will notice.)

You can do the same thing with stoners. Seriously, just watch an episode of Family Guy with teenagers. You can tell who's smoking pot.

Other drugs? If you can't tell your kid is on coke, meth, or smack, you need at least as much help as they do. And the problems are probably interconnected.

Last edited:
....http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1361129

That was one study i found with a quick google search

Data Source
... Subjects were between the ages of 18 and 65 years and had least one past year mental disorder symptom and no past year substance dependency

Ummm, the people in the study had to have had a mental disorder. Therefore, doesn't this particular study make your number 100% (rather than 99%) of people who use drugs have a mental disorder?
Or am I incorrectly reading your example?

You seem to be contradicting yourself.

You agree with what I said, and have kids that you trust, but you said:

I trust my kids, but my daughter is only 10. I haven't hit the teen years with her yet. If nothing drastic changes, we're gold.
I just see a lot of fall-out and damage from meth use in our rural community. And somehow heroin has become the drug of choice in high schools. This school is less than 10 miles from our house. And it has gotten worse since this article was written.
http://blog.mlive.com/kzgazette/2008/08/post_19.html

....Other drugs? If you can't tell your kid is on coke, meth, or smack, you need at least as much help as they do. And the problems are probably interconnected.

Agreed.
But what's wrong with having the option of a drug dog?

Expedience at the cost of ...?

Orleander said:

Agreed.
But what's wrong with having the option of a drug dog?

It's expedient. The convenience for the parents comes at a huge sacrifice by the family dynamic. By the time it gets to genuinely needing a dog to search the kid's room, the family is so dysfunctional that the better option would be counseling in general. Given that some sort of counseling would be a good idea if the dog scores a hit, anyway, why dig a deeper hole to climb out of? Mere leverage?

Family isn't about convenience and expedience. It's a long, hard, dirty slog that we're supposed to be happy to go through because, especially as parents, this is what we've chosen.

Last edited:
Had a good friend who really enjoyed recreational psychedelics whose mom was scared to death he would "use drugs." So once a month she had him tested. He just stopped smoking pot the week before and continued on his merry way since the drug test she gave him didn't test for anything he liked except pot.

At first he was pissed, but eventually he realized she was just another victim of the drug war and was just worried about him. It meant there were things about his life she couldn't share in but they got along ok otherwise.

Oh and for the "drugs are bad" crew, he works as a research biochemist and is finishing work on his PhD.

i wouldnt be able to take that.if my parents dont trust me enough to take me at my word then who will?

You don't tell you kid you sniffed his room out, shit. Who the fuck thought of that? Think of this as a game of battleships, except you know where he put his ships. Be careful, and you'll beat him, and he won't call you on it. The same way with kids, you gotta lie to them.

You don't tell you kid you sniffed his room out, shit. Who the fuck thought of that? Think of this as a game of battleships, except you know where he put his ships. Be careful, and you'll beat him, and he won't call you on it.

I couldn't disagree more.
Especially this part:

The same way with kids, you gotta lie to them.

It should be an open, trusting, honest relationship.
Not a war in which you are always trying to get the upper hand.

The more you lie to your children, the less they will trust you, the more they will lie to you, the less you can trust them, the worse things get.

If my kid is bringing illegal drugs into my home, items I can get arrested for, then I have every right to have the dogs in the house.

This doesn't happen.
Have you ever heard of this happening to anyone?

If cops find drugs in your kid's room, and they don't think you provided it for them or approved of it - you don't go to jail for it.

Kids are too stupid to understand what they should be doing, they're impulsive, lie to them, and they work harder. Just be a really good liar, what could go wrong if you're really good at it? This is half sarcastic, by the way.

I could never adopt a retired drug dog..even though I'm a total dog guy..if they lived with me..they'd be going nuts 24/7 :)

Back