Redux: Rape, Abortion, and "Personhood"

Do I support the proposition? (see post #2)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Its funny how Bells and others are jumping up and down about ensuring she is buried as quick as possible because she is dead, in spite of the fact that delaying the beetles a feed it could bring a new human into being.

But maybe what Bells really wants is that
1. the state - and the taxpayers!! - be spared of having to take care of yet another orphan,
and/or
2. people have children on exactly the terms they want, and if something comes inbetween (say, like, one of the parents-to-be gets severely injured in a car accident, or loses his or her job, or dies) then it should be acceptable to kill the unborn.

feel free to find where I made *that argument*

(or alternatively fall in line withe desperate trolling of iceaura in a bid to make people accountable for arguments they never offered)

*:shrug:*
So you agree that the woman should be allowed to die with dignity and the State and the hospital should stop using her body without consent because of their political and religious beliefs?

Asguard said:
Its funny how Bells and others are jumping up and down about ensuring she is buried as quick as possible because she is dead, in spite of the fact that delaying the beetles a feed it could bring a new human into being.
Isn't it funny how you don't see anything wrong with using a woman's body without any consent whatsoever, in fact, against the consent of her husband, her parents and even hers (since she had made her wishes so clear) for a 14 week old foetus that is not viable (ie cannot live outside of the womb), because of the religious and political beliefs of people not involved with the mother or her husband or family?

Already the government overrules the families's "rights" when it suits them in ALL countries including ours.
Name me one instance in Australia where a woman's body was being kept alive without any consent whatsoever from her prior to her death or her spouse and family, because the State decided to use her uterus to grow a foetus in it and charge the family for it. Just one.

How many times have the police and coroner's office ignored Islamic traditions about burial to conduct an autopsy? Don't hear Bells jumping up and down about family rights over THAT
Did they use the body to grow a foetus in them and charge the next of kin thousands of dollars a day, without consent? Did they use those bodies to perform medical experiments on and charge the next of kin for the pleasure without consent? A simple yes or no will suffice.

So you agree that the woman should be allowed to die with dignity and the State and the hospital should stop using her body without consent because of their political and religious beliefs?
Do you agree that you can't find where I made *that argument* and that you interject disjunctive questions when people pull you out for your horseplay?

Do you agree that you can't find where I made *that argument* and that you interject disjunctive questions when people pull you out for your horseplay?

So you think she should be kept alive on a machine without her consent or that of her spouse or family, because the hospital and the State want to use her body to grow a foetus in without consent?

Yes or no?

Yes or no?

Ah, cream cheese.

Have you stopped beating your children with a belt?

Yes or no?

And remember: You must answer either with a Yes, or a No. Just a Yes, or just a No. Every other answer will be dismissed as evasion and further evidence that you are a conniving liar. :p

geez do you ever realize how much like a pro-lifer you sound with that kind of semantics? What wrong with stating it a neutral terms: "Does the state have the right to override the request of a corpse DNR or corpse's claimant to termination of medical intervention in order to keep it in "beating-heart cadaver" condition if it is determined to be pregnant?" No that too dry, got to make it emotional... just like a prolifer.

Isn't it funny how you don't see anything wrong with using a woman's body without any consent whatsoever, in fact, against the consent of her husband, her parents and even hers (since she had made her wishes so clear) for a 14 week old foetus that is not viable (ie cannot live outside of the womb), because of the religious and political beliefs of people not involved with the mother or her husband or family?

and that is for a court of law to decide, because as is all sorts of laws are implement by political whim and even underlying religious beliefs hampering peoples freedoms on a daily basis.

Name me one instance in Australia where a woman's body was being kept alive without any consent whatsoever from her prior to her death or her spouse and family, because the State decided to use her uterus to grow a foetus in it and charge the family for it. Just one.

Do we have proof the family is being charged yet? I honestly would like to know because I believe that changes the whole dynamics of this: it brings in the new issue of being able to charge people for state mandated medical procedures on corpses!

Ah, cream cheese.

Have you stopped beating your children with a belt?

Yes or no?

And remember: You must answer either with a Yes, or a No. Just a Yes, or just a No. Every other answer will be dismissed as evasion and further evidence that you are a conniving liar.
Duh.

I actually beat my children with a stick!

I don't want to ruin my leather belts.

Jokes aside (yes, I actually need to specify that was a joke, because there is one moderator intent on portraying me as being the type of person who will allow my children to look at simulated sex, god knows how he would take a joke about my beating my children:rolleyes:)...

The question is a simple one. You are either for using a woman's corpse to grow a foetus in without anyone's consent or you are not...

Wow..

I never thought there would come a day where I would even have to ask such a question.:(

The pro-life stance has gone from imprisoning women who miscarry, to refusing to treat sick and dying women if they are pregnant because doing so could harm or abort the foetus, to now foisting their religious and political beliefs on a dead woman and forcing her to remain artificially alive while they use her corpse to grow a foetus without her consent or that of her husband. How did we get to this?

Is there no level of sanity left in the pro-life camp?

So you think she should be kept alive on a machine without her consent or that of her spouse or family, because the hospital and the State want to use her body to grow a foetus in without consent?

Yes or no?
one point at a time.

The question is a simple one. You are either for using a woman's corpse to grow a foetus in without anyone's consent or you are not...

Some of us here think that the question is not a simple one. It's a loaded one.

So far, whenever anyone has pointed this out to you, you dismissed it.

Is there no level of sanity left in the pro-life camp?

Is there no level of sanity in a criticism like yours?

geez do you ever realize how much like a pro-lifer you sound with that kind of semantics? What wrong with stating it a neutral terms: "Does the state have the right to override the request of a corpse DNR or corpse's claimant to termination of medical intervention in order to keep it in "beating-heart cadaver" condition if it is determined to be pregnant?" No that too dry, got to make it emotional... just like a prolifer.
The hospital and the State has given itself that right.

Is it wrong to do so?

There are no neutral terms on this issue. When you have a dead woman being artificially kept alive to grow a foetus because of the political and religious beliefs of others not connected to her at all and doing all of it without consent of the woman prior to her death or her spouse, it can no longer be neutral to spare pro-lifer's from answering a question honestly.

and that is for a court of law to decide, because as is all sorts of laws are implement by political whim and even underlying religious beliefs hampering peoples freedoms on a daily basis.
It is actually for her next of kin to decide.

Do we have proof the family is being charged yet? I honestly would like to know because I believe that changes the whole dynamics of this: it brings in the new issue of being able to charge people for state mandated medical procedures on corpses!
Do insurance companies pay for keeping a dead person artificially alive because the State and the hospital have decided to foist their religious and political beliefs on the womb of said dead person?

Meanwhile, Marlise Muñoz has spent two months and counting in one of the most expensive wards of the hospital, and an already enormous medical bill gets bigger every day. John Peter Smith Hospital said in an emailed statement to Al Jazeera that it wasn’t appropriate to discuss the average costs of its intensive care unit because each patient has different needs.

However, a 2002 study estimated the cost for an ICU bed in an average U.S. hospital is $2,000 to $3,000 per day. Marlise Muñoz has been in the ICU since Nov. 26. If her fetus survives delivery, it will be cared for in the neonatal intensive care unit, an even pricier cost center in any hospital. According to a recent report by the March of Dimes, the average hospital charge for infants born before 32 weeks of gestation runs to more than $280,000.

This specialized care, which her family has said it did not want, could total more than half a million dollars. John Peter Smith Hospital will not say who will foot the bill.

“When appropriate, the finance department will pursue its customary process for identifying payers and reimbursement,” hospital spokeswoman J.R. Labbe said by email.

Nor, with the exception of Pennsylvania, do these laws explain who will pay the exorbitant medical cost of using women’s bodies. That state has decided it will pay for its unconsented use of women’s bodies. Apparently, in some circles, objections to government-supported health care disappears if the money serves the dual purpose of sustaining fetal life and denying women their rights.

[source]

Medpage Today, an online medical news service, has estimated that should the hospital keep Marlise in intensive care until it considered the foetus viable, and should the foetus survive to be delivered by cesarean section and begin its own intensive care treatment, the hospital bill would come to between $US439,500 and $US984,500. It is unclear whether insurance coverage would extend to a woman who has been declared brain-dead.

[source]

Should the state foot the bill? How about for the care of the foetus if it survives?

The pro-life stance has gone from imprisoning women who miscarry, to refusing to treat sick and dying women if they are pregnant because doing so could harm or abort the foetus, to now foisting their religious and political beliefs on a dead woman and forcing her to remain artificially alive while they use her corpse to grow a foetus without her consent or that of her husband. How did we get to this?

How did we get to this?

I guess that the hysterical tirades and refusal to engage in actual communication such as by yourself have contributed to the overall worsening of the situation for pregnant women.

Your camp has shown that you cannot be reasoned with and that you are not willing to actually discuss anything nor cooperate in trying to come up with a workable solution. Your camp simply wants to have its way - yet you refuse to openly state so. Which is one of the main problems here.
If you don't want to discuss and don't want to cooperate, and simply want to have your way: alright. But at least say so straightforwardly. Instead of hiding behind a pretense of communication when in fact you want none.

On a sidenote, such pretending and hiding could imply that you are either not sure what exactly it is that you want, or that you don't think you are entitled to get it.

one point at a time.

I'm sorry, should I apply the triage model to a case of keeping a dead woman alive because others not connected to her family in any way wish to use her womb without consent?

What would your triage model say or how would it apply to a dead pregnant woman?

You either think this woman should be kept alive artificially without consent because she is pregnant or not. It really is not that hard.:shrug:

Wynn said:
Some of us here think that the question is not a simple one. It's a loaded one.
It is a loaded question because people cannot answer it honestly.

The hospital and the State of Texas has.

So why is it so hard to answer the question?

I guess that the hysterical tirades and refusal to engage in actual communication such as by yourself have contributed to the overall worsening of the situation for pregnant women.
Oh I'm sorry, I guess saying that women have rights over their own bodies will worsen the situation for pregnant women. How dare we have rights over our bodies and make choices.

The horror.

Your camp has shown that you cannot be reasoned with and that you are not willing to actually discuss anything nor cooperate in trying to come up with a workable solution. Your camp simply wants to have its way - yet you refuse to openly state so. Which is one of the main problems here.
What is the workable solution in a case where the State has deemed that a pregnant woman must remain on life support without her consent or her family's consent because they deem it acceptable to use her womb to grow her foetus?

Please, since you seem to believe there is a workable solution, state what you think it is?

People with even an ounce of sense clearly say to let the woman die with some dignity as her family and she wished and that the State should butt out of women's wombs, be they dead or alive.

If you don't want to discuss and don't want to cooperate, and simply want to have your way: alright. But at least say so straightforwardly. Instead of hiding behind a pretense of communication when in fact you want none.
Cooperate with whom?

LG?

What exactly has he offered to this discussion aside :shrug: ?

Do you think Munoz and her husband and family should be allowed to have their way and, ummm, I don't know, allow a woman to stay dead instead of using her corpse as an incubator without consent?

Or perhaps your issue is that I am not respecting LG and his constant shrugging for an answer because you want to preserve what little face he might have left on this forum and you don't think he should ever be made to actually answer a question honestly without resorting to triage models and OH&S principles when it comes to women?

On a sidenote, such pretending and hiding could imply that you are either not sure what exactly it is that you want, or that you don't think you are entitled to get it.
What in the hell are you even on about?

What in the hell are you even on about?

It's on earth, and it's that you're not sure what it is that you really want, or that you're not sure whether you're entitled to it.

People who are sure of what they want and who believe they are entitled to it don't fret. They go and get it.

For the particulars of this case I morally don't know. Again ethically this is an issue of a dead person verses a potential person, deep in moral gray area.

There are no neutral terms on this issue.

of course there are neutral terms, for one invoking politics and religious pressures on a law is irrelevant, many laws are motivated by political and even religious forces, society's morality does not just pop out of a vacuum!

It is actually for her next of kin to decide.

A court of law will need to verify that first, sorry your not totalitarian ruler and your say is not the end-all-be-all.

Do insurance companies pay for keeping a dead person artificially alive because the State and the hospital have decided to foist their religious and political beliefs on the womb of said dead person?

All your links still say it unclear who is actually going to pay.

Should the state foot the bill? How about for the care of the foetus if it survives?

If the state is going to enforce this I think they should.

For the particulars of this case I morally don't know. Again ethically this is an issue of a dead person verses a potential person, deep in moral gray area.
If we are going to argue about the ethics of a dead person vs a potential person, then it opens the door to something that would be truly horrific.

of course there are neutral terms, for one invoking politics and religious pressures on a law is irrelevant, many laws are motivated by political and even religious forces, society's morality does not just pop out of a vacuum!
The laws for dead people is quite clear and the law the hospital is relying on in this instance discusses "life sustaining" methods. She is dead. Her life cannot be sustained or preserved. The foetus she is carrying cannot survive outside of her body, and thus, is not viable.

A court of law will need to verify that first, sorry your not totalitarian ruler and your say is not the end-all-be-all.
The point is that it should never have gotten to this.
All your links still say it unclear who is actually going to pay.
As I said, do you think a health insurer is going to keep paying the exorbitant costs for a dead person to remain on life support?

If the state is going to enforce this I think they should.
It should. But I doubt it will.

If we are going to argue about the ethics of a dead person vs a potential person, then it opens the door to something that would be truly horrific.

And that would be? Quite honestly I'm an advocate for compulsory organ donation if you end up as a beating heart cadaver, frankly if you die and any organs you have are consider viable for donation they should be taken, it seem wrong to me to allow people to forbid their organs when they aren't using them anymore.

The laws for dead people is quite clear and the law the hospital is relying on in this instance discusses "life sustaining" methods. She is dead. Her life cannot be sustained or preserved.

And as I've state before repeatedly now I/m well aware of that and is for a court of law to see if the family can get Marlise terminated on that legal technicality, as well as any medical bills waved.

The foetus she is carrying cannot survive outside of her body, and thus, is not viable.

So?

The point is that it should never have gotten to this.

legal disputes happen, nothing can stop that. Sueing the hospital and winning might help prevent this dispute from happening again

As I said, do you think a health insurer is going to keep paying the exorbitant costs for a dead person to remain on life support?

Do you have proof the health insurer is being charged?

It should. But I doubt it will.

Does that change ethics?

OK. If it "truly horrifies" you then you don't need to discuss it.

The laws for dead people is quite clear and the law the hospital is relying on in this instance discusses "life sustaining" methods. She is dead. Her life cannot be sustained or preserved. The foetus she is carrying cannot survive outside of her body, and thus, is not viable.

However, it may become viable. Thus one potential life is weighed against the rights of a corpse (which, being dead, does not have the rights of a living person.) Not such an easy decision.

This and That

Billvon said:

However, it may become viable. Thus one potential life is weighed against the rights of a corpse (which, being dead, does not have the rights of a living person.) Not such an easy decision.

Setting aside the politics for a moment, the phrase "rights of a corpse" seems to be overused here. To wit, there are laws about the handling of dead bodies. And, yes, there is a law in Texas about dead bodies that are pregnant. However, in the politics of the moment, people are leaving out the fact that the hospital is behaving inappropriately under the law.

It is established that legal experts reviewing the law and its application find the hospital has done so incorrectly. Even the legislators who passed the law are surprised at its use here.

Furthermore, the fetus was not viable at the time this began. While part of the ethical question might seem to hinge on the idea that it might become viable, there is also the question of when the hospital considered her dead. The records delivered to Muñoz's attorneys confirm that the hospital has known she was dead—and therefore the fetal law does not extend to this circumstance—from the outset.

Looking back to the politics, where do these facts fit into the discussion? It would seem that for the anti-abortion advocates, such considerations are entirely irrelevant.

The hospital broke the law. Perhaps this is a Rosa Parks notion for many anti-abortion activists, that hospitals should break the law in order to force a political discussion.

But those who are unsettled by the idea that a woman "is just a vehicle, an incubator, without autonomy" (Toobin) are in no way reassured by the prospect that once again, the fact that women can be pregnant is enough of a reason to go out of one's way to break the law in order to create that incubator.

Much like the excess of seven hundred posts spent avoiding the question of what happens to women under LACP, such actions only reiterate the implication that women are not people but subordinate creatures.

• • •​

ElectricFetus said:

Do you have proof the health insurer is being charged?

That's actually beside the point. One of three entities, generally speaking, will pay the bills: an insurance company, the family, or the public.

I'm pretty sure the health insurance companies are clear on this one: Once the policyholder is dead, the policyholder is dead. Bells' question is rhetorical, making the obvious point that of those entities, it will not be the insurance company footing the bill on this one.

Thus, going back to #726 (should we look earlier for that branch of the discussion?) the answer is that no, we do not yet have proof that the family is being charged, yet, as JPSH has not yet said that it will not be charging the family for this unauthorized, elective medical care.

And I actually doubt they will; they have no standing to do so. In the end, JPSH does not want to say because once the public is acknowledged to be on the hook for these costs, the political dynamic they have crafted changes dramatically.

What wrong with stating it a neutral terms: "Does the state have the right to override the request of a corpse DNR or corpse's claimant to termination of medical intervention in order to keep it in "beating-heart cadaver" condition if it is determined to be pregnant?"

If there was a statutory provision that said yes, the answer would be yes. As it is, however, the answer is no.

What's wrong with stating it in neutral terms? What's wrong with attending the law in neutral terms? JPSH went out of their way to create this situation. They are going to lose, and will thus be lionized in anti-abortion folklore.

And perhaps it does raise existential questions in the minds of those determined to find existential questions about womanhood, but this maneuver was not intended to actually engage and address those questions. For those of us who disdain those existential questions for the fact that they only remain in order to accommodate those who are hoping for a fundamental paradigm shift, our record is generally clear on the existential questions of woman and fetus. Beyond that, there is a cold, mechanical, statutory issue in play here.

If the law assigned the state "the right to override the request of a corpse DNR or corpse's claimant to termination of medical intervention in order to keep it in 'beating-heart cadaver' condition if it is determined to be pregnant", then regardless of what we might think of the law, that would be the law. And, oh, the issues such a statute would raise.

How's this for dry and neutral: Should the state have the right (i.e., duty, as it would become under Amendment XIV) to override DNR and executor determination in order to keep it in 'beating-heart cadaver' condition in order to cultivate a zygote, blastocyst, embryo, or fetus to viability?

The entire well is poisoned by design, here. In a different context there could be no controversy, but the fact is that JPSH went out of its way to establish this context in order to invoke this controversy. At some point, this becomes relevant. There are likely people going to federal prison for this, and one of the lessons of civil disobedience is that doing the time is part of the routine.

And if that comes about, remember what the candlelight vigils outside the prison will be for: Yes, the state should override women's DNRs and suspend executor determination in order to cultivate zygotes, blastocysts, embryos, and fetuses to viability inside a corpse.

As I said, in a different context, there could be no controversy.

These discussions tend to get subsumed under their paradigm labels. But there are differences. Think back to the Schiavo case. There we had a lack of living will, clear instruction to the husband, and parents that didn't want to give up despite the obvious and empowered by a political movement to extend their anguish over a decade. Of course they appeared in the Jahi McMath case, but as Jeffrey Toobin reflects, "McMath's family has no apparent politics; they are simply grieving." In that case, really the more interesting question at this point is what went wrong and who will be tacked to the shed for it. The Muñoz consideration? We have a lack of living will, clear instruction to husband and family, a fetus that was not viable at the time of Marlise Muñoz's death, and a hospital behaving in a deliberately deceptive manner in order to create and frame a political argument.

The question in civil court will be whether the hospital intends to fight or, facing possible federal civil rights investigation, will settle in order to not put anything more on the record. One of the interesting questions within that process will be when a death certificate was issued; a commenter to the Star-Telegram, in sympathy with JPSH, argued on January 10, "Dr. Fine says she is legally dead. That's not true. There is no death certificate. So according to the state, she is legally alive. Brain dead is not the same as legally dead." (Hensel Demond) We already know that the hospital was aware she was brain dead the whole time, so why no death certificate? It is exactly as the commenter suggests; this is a bureaucratic stunt by the hospital.

All of this unethical behavior to create and frame this specific political dispute?

And do neutral terms rule out including this willful misbehavior in describing the questions this specific political dispute, as crafted by JPSH, begs?

Notes:

Toobin, Jeffrey. "Even in Death, Abortion Politics Never Goes Away". The New Yorker. January 21, 2014. NewYorker.com. January 22, 2014. http://www.newyorker.com/online/blo...-death-abortion-politics-never-goes-away.html

Hensell Demond, Lesley. "Dr. Fine says she is legally dead". Facebook. January 10, 2014. Star-Telegram.com. January 22, 2014. http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/01/09/5474256/marlise-munoz-and-the-politics.html#article_comments

Last edited:
I'm sorry, should I apply the triage model to a case of keeping a dead woman alive because others not connected to her family in any way wish to use her womb without consent?

What would your triage model say or how would it apply to a dead pregnant woman?

You either think this woman should be kept alive artificially without consent because she is pregnant or not. It really is not that hard.:shrug:
Dead people stand outside triage models ... as opposed to living people.
Its only by your use of political language that you decree its simply a moral issue of one person who happens to have practically zero chances of recovery as opposed to including another person who has a very real (inasmuch as Ewa Wisnierska had a very real ...) chance of survival.

It is a loaded question because people cannot answer it honestly.
On the contrary, loaded questions aren't honest, period.

IOW the way you pose the question is open to scenarios which leave it open to both yes and no responses (or flat out unanswerable since the question employs controversial premises which are usually at the fore of thread in question).

it could be forgivable as something innocent if you did it once or twice ... but when you do it repeatedly (while simultaneously failing to address criticisms of your questions for being loaded) it tends to be interpreted as a form of intellectual dishonesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back