Quotes to remember

"If you wish to keep slaves, you must have all kinds of guards. The cheapest way to have guards is to have the slaves pay taxes to finance their own guards. To fool the slaves, you tell them that they are not slaves and that they have Freedom. You tell them they need Law and Order to protect them against bad slaves. Then you tell them to elect a Government. Give them Freedom to vote and they will vote for their own guards and pay their salary. They will then believe they are Free persons. Then give them money to earn, count and spend and they will be too busy to notice the slavery they are in."
- Alexander Warbucks

"Our job is not to give people what they want, but what we decide they ought to have."
- Richard Salant, former president of CBS News.

"If all that Americans want is security, they can go to prison. They'll have enough to eat, a bed and a roof over their heads. But if an American wants to preserve his dignity and his equality as a human being, he must not bow his neck to any dictatorial government."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower

God is not under any obligation to meet my expectations. I will not put God in a box.

Dr. Mary Higby Schweitzer

“Too lazy to be ambitious,
I let the world take care of itself.
Ten days' worth of rice in my bag;
a bundle of twigs by the fireplace.
Why chatter about delusion and enlightenment?
Listening to the night rain on my roof,
I sit comfortably, with both legs stretched out.”
― Ryokan

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
As far as I see, [the Big Bang theory] remains entirely outside any metaphysical or religious question. It leaves the materialist free to deny any transcendental Being. He may keep, for the bottom of space-time, the same attitude of mind he has been able to adopt for events occurring in non-singular places in space-time. For the believer, it removes any attempt to familiarity with God, as were Laplace’s chiquenaude or Jeans’ finger. It is consonant with the wording of Isaiah speaking of the “Hidden God” hidden even in the beginning of the universe … Science has not to surrender in face of the Universe and when Pascal tries to infer the existence of God from the supposed infinitude of Nature, we may think that he is looking in the wrong direction

Priest Msgr. Georges LeMaître, who was (a) a Catholic Priest; (b) held a doctorate in mathematics from the Catholic University of Leuven; (c) held a doctorate in astronomy from MIT; and (d) a professor at the Catholic University of Leuven

:)

Love^^

Speaking of love...

''Love is a state in which a man sees things most decidedly as they are not.'' - Friedrich Nietzsche

He was right. Love is blind.

Last edited:
Love^^

Speaking of love...

''Love is a state in which a man sees things most decidedly as they are not.'' - Friedrich Nietzsche

He was right. Love is blind.
NO!

Eyes wide open
and love grows
love is wanting to assure the safety and comfort of the beloved
and feeling good when the simple things are accomplished
eg---menopause-- hot flashes--my beloved would throw off her covers, then lie cold and tense on her stomach with her hands under her---I would cover her, and see an immediate relaxation-------long after the sexual passion dies, I effected her comfort (and feel damned good in the process)---that is love as I see it.

That is sweet ^ Love is always a good thing, but he did have a point in that it can blind us to ignoring some (potentially harmful) realities that if we weren't in love, we'd see plainly. It's also possible that many mistake infatuation for love. . .

Another gem of his -

"The man of knowledge must not only love his enemies, he must also be able to hate his friends."

“At heart, science is the quest for awesome - the literal awe that you feel when you understand something profound for the first time. It's a feeling we are all born with, although it often gets lost as we grow up and more mundane concerns take over our lives.”
― Sean Carroll, The Particle at the End of the Universe: How the Hunt for the Higgs Boson Leads Us to the Edge of a New World

''The time when most of you should withdraw into yourself is when you are forced to be in a crowd.'' - Epicurus

This is not very good as a meme (what's new?). In Galileo's day there were no "top scientific minds". There was just the church. Using a telescope was heretical.

Galileo's observations was the science. Now you are comparing the anti-vaxers with science?

The logic is "we don't know what is going to happen a few years from now" so let's not vaccinate? A few years from now is too late to vaccinate. The implication is that the scientific approach to a pandemic is to not vaccinate and to wait until it's too late?

We know vaccinating saves lives. What are we waiting for?

Back