Questions about the Creation Myth.

True. But these assumptions hold when looking at the literature of every other culture. It holds, therefore, that these assumptions would hold for Judeo-Christian literature and mythology as well. There is simply no reason to accept or hold an a priori assumption that a supernatural force is at work or responsible without evidence. Therefore, we look at the natural explanations which include literary and cultural interpretations.

You know that as concerns history I do use the scientific method as the propper measure of truth when concerning history. Historical accounts aren't merely claims to rationalized and scrutinized against evidence in the same way that theories and hypothesis are.

For one those that wrote them were not scientist.
Secondly there is no practical way to establish the actual truth or fiction surrounding events short of outfitting a Delorean with a flux capacitor and seeing for yourself.

So there is no way to "experiment" your way to a conclusion which is what the "style" in writting argument seeks to do. But the enviroment, situations nor the people cannot be replicated to test the theory. In fact nothing can be done but ...discovery. And discovery is detective work that acknolwedges that the whole truth is unknown but seeks to find reasonable collaboration. That is the nature of a judicial system.

That is why I take all historical testimony from the perspective of truth first and then attempt to unseat it by finding contradiction or equilavent testimony which contradicts or even to discredit the source of the testimony as bias or with a history of untruthful behavior or even a history of truthful testimony.

The only evidence for the Moses character of mythology is the mythology, so we can, thus, reject him as an author -particularly in light of the literary interpretations. However, I do accept that religious adherents and believers already have a preconceived notion and conclusions about what is "true" and to question or inquire into this "truth" is to be blasphemous, lose faith, etc., so if you are a believer, perhaps this isn't the thread for you nor the forum.

Regardless of religoius aherents of anyone...
I can not reject the reality of that which I was not able to witness myself.
Not based on speculation and assumption. That is the nature of discovery in science which confirms by test. Historical discovery can be unyielding and sparse in return. We can only go on the available facts.

Correction: I can go on the available facts. Everyone else does tend to speculate as the primary reason for rejection and acceptance, which is subject to interpretation. I've found nothing objective about that process to deem it as scientificly creditably in every applicable situation.

This being a science forum, we'll stick to literary, intellectual, academic and scientific explanations and explorations on the phenomenon of religion. There are, after all, plenty of religious forums out there on the innertubes.

I would expect that a science forum stick to science, intellectual and academic exploration too. Literature is not a science anymore than art, music and cinema. They can be studied as everything can but there is no accuracy, precision or finite realm of closure that can ever describe them as science. Which is of course the whole point of them...the endless interpretations and creation of strokes, notes and words.

You know that as concerns history I do use the scientific method as the propper measure of truth when concerning history. Historical accounts aren't merely claims to rationalized and scrutinized against evidence in the same way that theories and hypothesis are.

They most definitely are. In history, there is an objective, potentially knowable past. Something either happened or didn't happen. As with all arguments, historical arguments are rated on their truth-values. For an historical argument, the truth value is dependent upon the probabilities that the premises and, thus, the conclusions are sound.

Sound historical premises are established by observation and validation. One cannot establish a "history" simply by reading a culture's mythology since this represents things like ideal states which the culture perceives as true. Instead, one need take references from the mythology and begin validating them independently with other documents -preferably competing or independent sources like other cultures- and by evaluating or observing the archaeological record.

I come at history from an archaeological and anthropological perspective and thus make predictions derived from hypothesis to which I look for confirmation. For instance, I said earlier that many of the writings in the Old Testament (Pentateuch) were later adaptations of the writings and cultural stories of other, older cultures in the region. This is an historical premise. If such a premise holds, then I should be able to show examples of such writings. I can actually list a multitude of them, Neitzefan did so above with the Enum Elish. There are many others found in Sumerian, Akkadian, and Egyptian texts among others. Most notably, and discussed a year or so ago between us, the Noachian Flood myth which was clearly derived from the Sumerian flood story in Gilgamesh.

For one those that wrote them were not scientist.

Which is the point I was making and its no small point. Not being a scientist means not understanding science and the methods of science the way we do and, thus, describing/explaining the world in terms of superstition. I'm glad we agree on this point.

Secondly there is no practical way to establish the actual truth or fiction surrounding events short of outfitting a Delorean with a flux capacitor and seeing for yourself.

Cannot one excavate sites mentioned in an ancient myth or text? Cannot one cross-evaluate the texts of other contemporary and even earlier cultures for similar themes and note the evolution of the motif? If one hypothesizes that a mythical tale is an embellished form of an earlier story from an earlier culture, would not the less-embellished version of the same (nearly word-for-word) tale indicate a confirmation of the hypothesis? Conversely, wouldn't an absence of similar tales, less-embellished versions and such in older cultures indicate an actual history and not a myth?

So there is no way to "experiment" your way to a conclusion which is what the "style" in writting argument seeks to do.

Why not. Experiments, after all, are simply hypothesizing, deriving expectations or making predictions and applying these rules to other situations. If they hold, they're probably true. The alternative is the supernatural and that's just bunk to begin with. So why wouldn't a rational explanation that's probable be favored over an irrational one that improbable?

But the enviroment, situations nor the people cannot be replicated to test the theory. In fact nothing can be done but ...discovery. And discovery is detective work that acknolwedges that the whole truth is unknown but seeks to find reasonable collaboration. That is the nature of a judicial system.

It has nothing to do with the judicial system, which is the poorest example of application of scientific thinking and method. It has everything to do with observing the material past and arriving at logical conclusions based on what is found. The past need not be "replicated." It sits, waiting for us to uncover it, excavate it, and measure it. When I look at striations of cut marks on a bone, I know whether the marks are teeth or blade -and if blade whether metal or stone. I know this through experimentation and observation and the culmination of data on the subject.

That is why when I hear people who already have irrational and baseless supernatural conclusions about the world around them speak, I consider them ignorant and undereducated because they rarely take the opportunity to consider where true information comes from. They're satisfied learning about the history of China and terra cotta warriors and accept the archaeological interpretation as valid, but they don't dare consider what genuine archaeologists have to say about the Levant. They're content with the scientific explanations for the construction of Athens, its pantheon of gods, and its democracy and rarely question how this information is derived, but doubt every single last word even when the data are compiled and made available if that word is contrary to their preconceived conclusions regarding their religion.

That my friend is ignorance and not science.

That is why I take all historical testimony from the perspective of truth first and then attempt to unseat it by finding contradiction or equilavent testimony which contradicts or even to discredit the source of the testimony as bias or with a history of untruthful behavior or even a history of truthful testimony.

What a sad, ignorant way to look at history. Even still, this is ineffective because the contradictory data are present and ignored. Religious adherents are superstitious first and scientific last. They compartmentalize their worldview such that cell phones, computers, and atomic energy are great, but once the sciences that supply these technologies are applied to claims of their superstitions, they're somehow no longer valid.

Regardless of religoius aherents of anyone...
I can not reject the reality of that which I was not able to witness myself.

By that logic, then, nor can you accept it. The best you can do is remain neutral. Would you say you are neutral to the question of these events?

Not based on speculation and assumption. That is the nature of discovery in science which confirms by test. Historical discovery can be unyielding and sparse in return. We can only go on the available facts.

I somewhat agree with this. The difference between you and I is that I actually see facts where you turn blind eye out of reverence for your religious ideology.

I would expect that a science forum stick to science, intellectual and academic exploration too. Literature is not a science anymore than art, music and cinema. They can be studied as everything can but there is no accuracy, precision or finite realm of closure that can ever describe them as science. Which is of course the whole point of them...the endless interpretations and creation of strokes, notes and words.

Ah, but literature can be evaluated and critiqued based on a scientific method. Trends, styles and linguistic devices can be seriated and the resulting data compared and contrasted with other data sets.

So don't blow the smoke of ignorance up my ass and claim its the sunshine of wisdom.

Regardless, the days of this subforum being a home to an a priori assumption of the existence of gods needs to draw to a close. From here on out, I'll moderate with the eye towards science first and superstition last. If religious adherents want to provide their perspectives on the literary value of the words -i.e. the authors of Book XX of the Bible intended this or that, then they are free to. But assumption that a god exists is going to start being interpreted as preaching and edited/deleted as such.

The exception might be those thread where a clear philosophical debate is occurring. Otherwise, threads like this one -a question about mythology- will adhere to just that: mythology.

SkinWalker,

There is no reason to believe in any gods (I can only assume that in your case you're referring to one of the Christian gods) that I've ever seen. Surely you haven't forgotten my position after all these years.

Actually Skin, I was refering to God. :)
I know your atheist, I was just wondering if you were a strong atheist.

jan.

Enmos,

How do I know ?? All I have as reference is the bible, and the bible says that they were created "after their likeness" i.e. in their own image.
Why do you assume otherwise, as a believer ?

I'm not assuming anything, I, like you, are trying to understand it.
DNA determines the characteristics of bodies/kind/species.
So the encoded information could be the original "kind" which nature builds, and thereafter the bodies are generated according to instruction. :)

That's what I'm asking. I think it might not say that.
Even if it is meant that way, I still want an explanation about Gods features.

You're asking why would God have a human form?
I don't know.
It seems more appropriate to ask why do we have a human form.

So ? Where does it say that Adam is the viceroy ?

You're right, it doesn't actually say Adam was the viceroy intended for earth.
But why else would Adam be mentioned, a mere human in company of Allah, his angels, and a jinn, while talking of sending a viceroy?

When the jinn, Iblis (satan) disobeyed God, he (Iblis) was banished from that place but was granted a respite.
Here, have a butchers (look) at this, it explains it far better than I.

http://web.uvic.ca/~rpn/files/iblis2.html

jan.

I'm not assuming anything, I, like you, are trying to understand it.
DNA determines the characteristics of bodies/kind/species.
So the encoded information could be the original "kind" which nature builds, and thereafter the bodies are generated according to instruction. :)
Ok, fair enough :)
But now it appears that you are saying that God didn't create life. I know that couldn't have been how you meant it.. could you please rephrase that last sentence ?

It seems more appropriate to ask why do we have a human form.
But.. :)confused:) because we are humans ? That's why it's called the human form..
But if you mean how did we come to have this form, I'd suggest evolution.

You're right, it doesn't actually say Adam was the viceroy intended for earth.
But why else would Adam be mentioned, a mere human in company of Allah, his angels, and a jinn, while talking of sending a viceroy?

When the jinn, Iblis (satan) disobeyed God, he (Iblis) was banished from that place but was granted a respite.
Here, have a butchers (look) at this, it explains it far better than I.

jan.
Interesting. This Iblis character must be Lucifer then.
But to be honest, it doesn't say anything.. hrm, I guess I lost sight of my original question. From those texts it's obvious that god was conversing with angels.
But not before, or at, the time of the creation of man though, since Adam was present.

Enmos,

But now it appears that you are saying that God didn't create life. I know that couldn't have been how you meant it.. could you please rephrase that last sentence ?

The information encoded in the DNA specifies the exact bodily structure.
So from a material point of view, we are what our DNA code says we are.
Are you with me so far? :)

So the original "kind" as in "create after", is non other than the encoded DNA, meaning that the command from God, "bring forth.....could actually be the process which kick starts creation process, with nature. :)

A good understanding of this is the special creation of Adam.
God forms a man out of the dust (earth), then breathes life (commands) into the body. :)

But if you mean how did we come to have this form, I'd suggest evolution.

How was DNA formed, and where/how/why did the information within it form the way it has?

Interesting. This Iblis character must be Lucifer then.
But to be honest, it doesn't say anything.. hrm, I guess I lost sight of my original question. From those texts it's obvious that god was conversing with angels.
But not before, or at, the time of the creation of man though, since Adam was present.

"God created Adam’s soul one-thousand years prior to creating Adam’s body;"
http://web.uvic.ca/~rpn/files/adam.html

and,

"We did bring you into being, then We gave you shape, then We commanded the angels: Submit to Adam. The angels submitted, but not Iblis, he was not among those who submitted."
- Chapter 7, Verse 12

jan.

Is this source compatible with the creation myth? Its source is 90% from a book called "Islamic Legends" Only 5-10% is from the Koran.

If we're talking about the myth of creation, let's make sure we're getting it from a reliable source, namely scriptural sources: Torah, Koran, Bible, etc.

Enmos,
The information encoded in the DNA specifies the exact bodily structure.
So from a material point of view, we are what our DNA code says we are.
Are you with me so far? :)
Yep

So the original "kind" as in "create after", is non other than the encoded DNA, meaning that the command from God, "bring forth.....could actually be the process which kick starts creation process, with nature.

A good understanding of this is the special creation of Adam.
God forms a man out of the dust (earth), then breathes life (commands) into the body. :)
But.. hmm I find this a bit far-fetched. He would first have had to make the body before it could have started to "bring forth".
Allow me to paraphrase you idea.. and see if you meant it like that.
After thorough testing and remodeling God has completed writing the code for a specific animal on his home PC. He now beams down to Earth and starts breaking down clay particles to atomic level. He puts each kind on it's own pile. When he think he has has enough of the various atoms, he starts putting them to together to form.. the animals body (which of course houses the DNA). When he's finished he sees that something is missing. He breaths air into the lungs of the animal, and voila.. it's alive.
You see, he couldn't have made just the DNA.. for the first animal, it would just lie there on the clay being lifeless.

How was DNA formed, and where/how/why did the information within it form the way it has?
On the early Earth there were amino acids present. They could have linked up inside tidal pools to form the first self-replicating molecules.
It's all molecular evolution from there on..
Read here: http://www.evolutionofdna.com/Evolution-Of-DNA.html
And here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenesis#Current_models

"God created Adam’s soul one-thousand years prior to creating Adam’s body;"
http://web.uvic.ca/~rpn/files/adam.html
How could anyone know that ?

and,

"We did bring you into being, then We gave you shape, then We commanded the angels: Submit to Adam. The angels submitted, but not Iblis, he was not among those who submitted."
- Chapter 7, Verse 12

jan.
Ok, very well..
But, you do realize that you are equating the soul with DNA now, don't you ;)

I'm surprised you guys aren't first arguing over WHICH creation myth in Genesis is the correct one. The two conflict with one another in several ways.

I'm surprised you guys aren't first arguing over WHICH creation myth in Genesis is the correct one. The two conflict with one another in several ways.

We are talking about the creation myth as a whole, that a supreme being created the Universe. Probably a futile attempt because it is all speculation.

As far as I'm concerned there is no correct one, it's just a mesh of stories.

I'm trying to figure out what could have been meant by the original writers by certain statements in Genesis, and if it in fact is possible.

Also, along the way, some interesting issues have come up :)

Enmos, i would think that some parts are not to be taken literally.

Question 1.
What does it mean when God says that He creates creatures after their kind ?

That is a reference to the design and commonalities of creature. Personally this is the first time i have seen the questions in the OP and I am thanful to you for bringing this to my attention.
icon14.gif

Capitalizing the H in he is not correct, unless it starts a new sentence..:grumble: Fascinating post though.

Enmos, i would think that some parts are not to be taken literally.

Question 1.
What does it mean when God says that He creates creatures after their kind ?

That is a reference to the design and commonalities of creature. Personally this is the first time i have seen the questions in the OP and I am thanful to you for bringing this to my attention.
icon14.gif
Perhaps it's just me. I find it worded very strangely if it means what you say it means.

Capitalizing the H in he is not correct, unless it starts a new sentence..:grumble: Fascinating post though.
It is when 'he' refers to God.

Enmos,

But.. hmm I find this a bit far-fetched.

Of course it's a bit far-fetched, we are discussing the origin of the universe, and it's entire contents. :)
What did you expect?
It popped into existence out of thin...er nothing?

He would first have had to make the body before it could have started to "bring forth".

The process of making the body starts with information, (DNA) then, nature constructs.

After thorough testing and remodeling God has completed writing the code for a specific animal on his home PC.

There are two ways to approach this discussion.
You can discuss from the point of view of your actual OP, and try and refute the "creation myth" from there.
Or you can create your own god, then knock it down till your hearts content.
I propose we attempt the former, as the latter has been done to death. :D

Why thorough testing?
Are you working from the premise that God is God?

He now beams down to Earth and starts breaking down clay particles to atomic level.

Breaking down?
Where does it say that?

He puts each kind on it's own pile. When he think he has has enough of the various atoms, he starts putting them to together to form.. the animals body (which of course houses the DNA).

Didn't he command the earth to bring forth the animals?
The information (DNA) may well have been given in the command, then nature transformed it into DNA.

When he's finished he sees that something is missing. He breaths air into the lungs of the animal, and voila.. it's alive.

Your mixing his commanding the earth to bring forth life, with the personal creation of Adam. If you are going to dismiss this, then at least do so in context.
Your attempt to trivualise the scenario, thereby making it seem impossible, is, if nothing else, childish.

You see, he couldn't have made just the DNA.. for the first animal, it would just lie there on the clay being lifeless.

Why couldn't he be the origin of DNA?
The raw material were obviously there in the creation, all it need was the information, and the process to begin constuction.

How could anyone know that ?

I don't know.

Ok, very well..
But, you do realize that you are equating the soul with DNA now, don't you ;)

God (soul) commands his manifestion (nature).
That's the relationship. DNA is constucted by nature under the command of God (spirit/soul)

jan.

Back