Question: what do muslim women get in heaven?

Originally posted by Randolfo
Again, I ask, "How does this explain why muslim women stay muslim or why Western women convert to islam? BTW, interesting conversation, maybe you should start a new thread?

And post the link, so that we can follow, thanks
I'm not sure what you are asking? My personal opinion on why a person comes to believe what they believe? That answer comes in as many varieties as there are people.
I would imagine that some of those answers are most likely –
1) people believe that which they are taught as a child to believe (archetypal).
2) people convert to a new belief because of some profound “feeling” that their new way of thinking answers questions they have.
3) people study the history of religion and see a pattern that leads them to certain conclusions
4) people become psychologists and feel they understand why people believe the way in which they do. This subsequent study now colors their belief.
5) people notice inconsistencies in their religion and look to another religion to fill in the gaps.

Perhaps this last example is one (of many) answers to your question: ”why would a Western woman convert to Islam? (incidentally, the same question could be posed as such ”why would a Islamic woman convert to Christianity?”) Anyway, from my perspective there really is very little difference between the two. As Islam came much later than Christianity we can assume that certain inconsistencies that had been mulled over for some time could now, with this new religion, be cleared up. Personally, I “think” Islam is more consistent than Christianity. A person who is “religious” and has a personality that looks to religion to answer their questions would most likely look to a religion similar to theirs. Thus it is only natural a Christian may convert to Islam (or visa versa). Certainly more natural than converting to Taoism (my personal favorite, and as far as I’m concerned the most mature, just and consistence [just a smidgen over Buddhism]) Either of the two would be more likely than converting to the native religion of Easter Island or Aboriginal Australian or Ancient Greek. All of which are equally as likely to be true, however, so foreign that we do not find it surprising that few people, if any, would convert to these religions unless raised to believe as such.

So in summary the two religions walk hand in hand like lovers – don’t be surprised that a member of one would convert to the other.

Being an atheist I have no belief in gods. My atheistic outlook fits well with my field of study (I’m a research doctor of medical science). For me the “why am I here” or “what’s my purpose” or “how did the eye come to be” or “what is morality” can all be answered without any form of gods being involved in the equation. That isn’t to say there are no gods. There very well may be all sorts of them. If a god were to suddenly appear here in my office I’m sure I would have no difficulty changing my belief. I highly doubt that is going to happen.

As for okinrus’s reply: No, I do have a choice. I have studied most christian sects, some buddhism, Judism and Islam. An ancient Japanese man would not have knowledge of christianity, Judism, and others. there is truth in some of it. Yes, An ancient Japanese man would not have knowledge of christianity, Judism, and others and thus would not convert to that belief. Of course this is neither here nor their, okinrus’s belief is a modification of that which “he/she” has been exposed to (as is everyone’s). I always find it amusing to hear people say; well I’ve studied this or that religion and found my way of thinking to be correct. So okinrus studied a few precepts of a few religions. A scholar this does not make. It would take years of intense study just to become acquainted with the deepest underling meaning in any of these religions. And for some people – they may never reach the realization or “truth” that a certain religion is trying to get at. I’m certainly no religious scholar. Many on this board would know more in their little finger than I. That still does not dim my appreciation for the fundamental truths these various religions try to arrive at. Furthermore, a person is shaped by their language and culture. What benefit does atheism give an Afghani that has just had his wedding party blown to bits by an F15? Not too much huh? Islam however may afford this same person many benefits. I’m sure we can agree that the average Buddhist is by no means even close to receiving the benefits achieved by a 80 year old Monk. Lastly, these are but a few of the many many many past and present religions available to study. I must assume okinrus focused on these religions because two are related to Christianity and the other is a major religion. If okinrus had said something like the religions of the Coushatta or Apache I would have been a bit more impressed. Oh, and I personally find the inclusion of Buddhism as bit of over the top. As far as I understand Zen Buddhism is completely at piece with another person being Christian. The underlying precepts are certainly much more logical than Christianity, Islam or Judaism. To say “I have studied Buddhism and found Christianity to be superior is almost a conundrum in and of itself. If it wasn’t for it masculine nature I’d put it above Taoism.

I think okinrus may be of the type of person who is “religious” and has a “religious personality” and as such looks to religion to answer their questions. If not then why not include atheism or Taoism on the list? So it is only natural for a religious minded person like okinrus to search for answers in religion. And the closer to home-base the better. I am convinced that many people like to feign an interest in other religions so that they can then say to themselves – Yup I’ve did the research and just as I thought – I was right all along! :) Typical really. Anyway, this is fine and for Okinrus may even be necessary for him/her to have a peaceful life. I just don’t happen to need, nor do I want, the illusion of gods to give my life meaning.

Last edited:
A scholar this does not make. It would take years of intense study just to become acquainted with the deepest underling meaning in any of these religions. And for some people – they may never reach the realization or “truth” that a certain religion is trying to get at.
Which is why I like christianity. Simple yet it's complex if someone really studies it. Nevertheless, Jesus said that we must approach the father like children.

I think okinrus may be of the type of person who is “religious” and has a “religious personality” and as such looks to religion to answer their questions. If not then why not include atheism or Taoism on the list?
Sigh. Athesim isn't a religion or so they say. Most of the eastern religions are fads started by western interest in the orient. Of course I know a little about Taoism but to me it's more a philosophy than a religion. Every now and then I'll read a quote from a Taoism master but it will be neutral to all religions.

How does this explain why muslim women stay muslim or why Western women convert?
Some people may have developed a pychological aversion to christianity. This may be because of bad expierences or the current perception of christianity. People may claim to have knowledge issues sorounding chrisitanity but have only very biased information. Also, what is contained in a religion such as christiantiy is not just knowledge; otherwise we would be gnostics, but something more. People who search for religions only by knowlege would most likely reject christianity because it is not just knowledge.

Originally posted by okinrus
Sigh. Athesim isn't a religion or so they say. Most of the eastern religions are fads started by western interest in the orient. Of course I know a little about Taoism but to me it's more a philosophy than a religion. Every now and then I'll read a quote from a Taoism master but it will be neutral to all religions.
why the sigh? Of course atheism isn’t a religion. I never said it was. What I said was that you may be of the sort of personality that seeks a religion to answer the questions you have in life. While others of us do not. By your sigh I must have hit the nail on the head!

To the practitioners of “Eastern Religions” I’m sure they consider their study a little more than a passing fad. As a matter of fact, here Buddhism is presently outpacing any other religion in terms of gaining new converts. And all one has to do is look in any church today to see the lack of youth membership. I was lead to believe The Catholic Church doesn’t have enough Priests left. I wonder, if a historian in the future were to look back to the present maybe they will reckon Christianity was a passing fad :)

To the practitioners of “Eastern Religions” I’m sure they consider their study a little more than a passing fad. As a matter of fact, here Buddhism is presently outpacing any other religion in terms of gaining new converts.
The western enthusiasm for for eastern religions is not rational but a backlash against christianity. Buddhism is a catch-all religion that does not require a "this is the way it was, is, and always will be" mentality but because of this there's no objective truth. Often times, for Buddhists it is more a social tradition than a religion. For example, my friend is christian but we still go to Buddhist temples every now and then. The vast majority of westerner's, however, could never accept their repect of other lifeforms.

Back