Qualities of the correct epistemology for perceiving God

superluminal said:
I see you are misinformed. The existence of an actual god has nothing to do with religion. Religion is a huge body of mythology concerning many types of deities that spans all of recorded history. As evidence, religious writings have been shown to be of the "weak" and "unconvincing" variety as I described in an earlier post. Atheists reach their conclusions based on common sense and rational observation. We're straightforward folk, not easily swayed by mass opinions. Sometimes called "free thinkers".

So if the existence of god has nothing to do with religion, why the argument about perceiving God? And you forget that mythology is also an interpretation of reality by a group of people ; there is no real evidence what initiated it.

superluminal said:
This sounds suspiciously like sentimental drivel. Am I right? It's sentimental drivel?

Why sentiment?

Do you not work at building love, trust, friendship?

Are they not essential to normality in your life?

samcdkey said:
So if the existence of god has nothing to do with religion, why the argument about perceiving God? And you forget that mythology is also an interpretation of reality by a group of people ; there is no real evidence what initiated it.
I don't get the first question.

And you whole post is typical of theists responses. "If blah is blah, then why doesn't blah or blah show you that god is blah blah?"

Can any theist argue the existence of god rationally? If it's all just faith and emotional feelings, than your conviction is pure self delusion. You surely agree with this?

Try this: THERE IS NO GOD. THE UNIVERSE IS AS WE PERCIEVE IT. ATOMS, MOLECULES, TREES, EYEBALLS, PLANETS, PEOPLE, iPODS. THEY ARE ALL EXACTLY JUST WHAT THEY SEEM TO BE AND NOTHING MORE.

What's wrong with that? Makes far more sense than a mythical being that people have nothing of substance to say about. Right?

superluminal said:
I don't get the first question.

And you whole post is typical of theists responses. "If blah is blah, then why doesn't blah or blah show you that god is blah blah?"

Can any theist argue the existence of god rationally? If it's all just faith and emotional feelings, than your conviction is pure self delusion. You surely agree with this?

Try this: THERE IS NO GOD. THE UNIVERSE IS AS WE PERCIEVE IT. ATOMS, MOLECULES, TREES, EYEBALLS, PLANETS, PEOPLE, iPODS. THEY ARE ALL EXACTLY JUST WHAT THEY SEEM TO BE AND NOTHING MORE.

What's wrong with that? Makes far more sense than a mythical being that people have nothing of substance to say about. Right?

The first question is the thread topic. Didn't you read it?

And who said the universe is other than we perceive it to be?

samcdkey said:
Why sentiment?

Do you not work at building love, trust, friendship?

Are they not essential to normality in your life?
Of course. But I don't keep them in a box and pull them out and polish them once in a while. What does this have to do with a real and omnipresent entity called god?

Why can we not speak of the solid reality of god as a dude on a throne somewhere?

And if this isn't "god" to you, then what is god? Love? No. Love is love. It's an emotion. What exactly is your god?

superluminal said:
Of course. But I don't keep them in a box and pull them out and polish them once in a while. What does this have to do with a real and omnipresent entity called god?

Why can we not speak of the solid reality of god ans a dude on a throne somewhere?

And if this isn't "god" to you, then what is god? Love? No. Love is love. It's an emotion. What exactly is your god?

According to Islam there is NO definition of God. Except that he/she/it is without form or substance. There is no need to seek or define God. There is only the need to seek knowledge of this universe. That is all. Everything else is man-made.

You all dance around the subject of god so effectively that it's easy to forget that this is all really a simple, simple question.

samcdkey said:
According to Islam there is NO definition of God. Except that he/she/it is without form or substance. There is no need to seek or define God. There is only the need to seek knowledge of this universe. That is all. Everything else is man-made.
Then you are not religious and do not believe in god. Thanks for finally being clear on that. You're an atheist/scientist.

superluminal said:

When? There is NO knowledge of the universe except of its beauty and the need to appreciate it, to explore it and to examine it and apply that knowledge to life.

Where does that define anything about the universe?

samcdkey said:
When? There is NO knowledge of the universe except of its beauty and the need to appreciate it, to explore it and to examine it and apply that knowledge to life.

Where does that define anything about the universe?
My mistake. I now know you are an atheist and a scientist. I'm proud of you. :D

superluminal said:
Then you are not religious and do not believe in god. Thanks for finally being clear on that. You're an atheist/scientist.

See I find it so incredible that atheists seek a definition of God.

It is unnecessary to true religion (at least in Islam).

samcdkey said:
See I find it so incredible that atheists seek a definition of God.

It is unnecessary to true religion (at least in Islam).

I have a _____ sitting in front of me. I follow the ideals of ______. I derive a life philosophy from ______.

My religion is the embodiment of ______.

Hope this helps explain my position. Thanks for understanding. I'm sure that _____ is obvious to all of you.

superluminal said:
My mistake. I now know you are an atheist and a scientist. I'm proud of you. :D

You should be. Islam converted nomadic, fighting Arabs into true scientists; a golden period enriched by a quality of scientific endeavor without parallel in the time. :)

Here is a good reference should you ever seek to correct your ignorance.
http://www.utexas.edu/utpress/books/tursci.html

superluminal said:
I have a _____ sitting in front of me. I follow the ideals of ______. I derive a life philosophy from ______.

My religion is the embodiment of ______.

Hope this helps explain my position. Thanks for understanding. I'm sure that _____ is obvious to all of you.

You're off base. But as an infidel with limited knowledge, I'll overlook it. :p

Superluminal, Samcdkey:

Might you condense your posts so as to not spread them across two pages? It is obnoxiously spammy and buries the rest of the thread.

superluminal said:
Cowardly reply to a completely on-point metaphorical observation. Love ya! :D

Nah! if I try to explain, it'll sound preachy. And frankly, I'm bushed. ;)

Prince_James said:
Superluminal, Samcdkey:

Might you condense your posts so as to not spread them across two pages? It is obnoxiously spammy and buries the rest of the thread.

How can we condense it?

Samcdkey:

Right now you could have put your posts regarding Superluminal and myself in one post. That is, begin with something like:

Superluminal:

<Insert quote>

Replyherereplyhere.

Prinec James:

<insert quote>

Replyherereplyhere.

This elongates a single page of the thread and does not bury conversations.

Back