Proof there is a God

Then why claim it's an offensive comparison?
Well, it is possible to recognize an intent to offend without getting offended.
Jan called him out on what he saw as the poster's intent. It doesn't necessarily follow that he was, in fact claiming to be offended.
If you're not sure, ask him. You did. He said no.

Actually I asked Jan to explain why it's an offensive comparison. Jan declined to answer. (No surprise there.)

I think Jan was pointing out how a reasonable person would view the way I put it.
As to how I was thinking I did not seek to be offensive but I would be silly if I rejected Jan's point.
And in Jan's defence I was trying to make folk examine their beliefs.
That is never easy and mostly it is inappropriate.
Lets write it all off and think the best of each other.
We do after all have one thing in common...we are all going to die one day so lets be kind and nice to each other.

To many, their view is that there is evidence for god.
Views aren't what's in question with regards the thread. We are dealing in the realm of reason here, and thus far not one person has supplied any reasons for why there is no god. Or why the reasons given for god are not sound.
Because God as defined in the bible does not exist.
What is your evidence that humans (obviously excluding yourself) make up god?
Man-made Scriptures.

Look at past ancient history ; India ; for the furthest past that I know.

There was a god ; the bible ; and so forth .

The problem ; it seems to me ; is that we can't ; don't ; want to find any FAULT in these gods .

This is the frustrating thing about people who believe .

The belief is that the bible and the scriptures are indeed evidence of god as it was god who influenced the various authors to write down what he wanted them to write.
The guy who wrote elevations must have had a bad line or connection.
The op was specific..proof of god...the onus has not been undertaken to provide proof but dishonesty the goal posts were moved such that it is now that if one does not believe it is now upon them to offer "reason" to prove there is no god.
Does that suggest a no win contest.
The Santa clause thing nails it in so far both god and Santa clause are made up by humans and for some humans both are real because in their world that is that their parents taught them.
One should understand that if you are taught something from an early age those teachings will go a long way to creating your reality.
Some realise they have been conned and move on without Santa clause some realise god most likely does not exist but if all around you don't think that and seemingly intelligent folk keep the myth alive who will have the courage to say they don't believe resulting in being cast out of the group.
It can be both easy on the one hand to maintain your belief even if that is not your belief but an indelible indoctrination from childhood and on the other hand difficult to maintain belief if you have questions that can not be answered.
Nevertheless folk should be free to think what makes them feel good or give meaning to what may otherwise be a meaningless life.
Or helps them cope with the fact they will die...let them have their after life if it helps them not be afraid of that which awaits all of us.

Jan asked me what proof I require.
I suspect a trap and I venture I know Jan's next line.
Well I think this.

We have a prime minister, a president or queen or king each of who have no difficulty addressing the masses.
That's what I expect of god...an address to the world and an office you could send questions.
I place where you could serve a summons for damage caused by acts of god.
So why is that not possible if there was a god would he not do it that way.

Write4U said:
Because God as defined in the bible does not exist.
Jan Ardena,
God as defined in the Bible does exist. Now we're back to square one. What's your next line of reason?
Square One! There is no Square Two.
W4U,
Man-made Scriptures.
JA,
So what? How you conclude that God is made up? Jan.
How do you conclude God is not made up, other than as written in man made scripture (Square One)?

The existence of a God is not a natural default position. It is wishful thinking (movement) in the *direction of greatest satisfaction*, which is a natural default dynamic for all things.

Last edited:
Square One! There is no Square Two.

Correct, "God as defined in the Bible does not exist" is square two. The Bible is square one.

The existence of a God is not a natural default position.

On the contrary. Every human being came into a world where it common KNOWLEDGE (knowledge being a natural aspect sentient beings) of a Supreme Being.
As far as you, me, and every single atheist that ever existed is aware of it's fact. They have to introduce square two to try and shake it off.

It is wishful thinking (movement) in the *direction of greatest satisfaction*, which is a natural default dynamic for all things.

Wishful thinking is a human ability.
Humans are caused by God according to any scripture you care to mention.
To show that God as defined in the Bible does not exist you have to know what that God is.
You seem reluctant to find out, choosing instead to focus on theism.
Personally I think you're afraid, but that is a different discussion for a different thread.
The reality is, no one can live without the notion of a Supreme being, anymore than anyone can live without the notion of having parents. No matter how much you deny it.
That's what makes these discussions such fun.

How do you conclude God is not made up, other than as written in man made scripture (Square One)?

I don't have to conclude anything, unless I decide that to invoke one of many square two positions, like you have.

Jan.

Correct, "God as defined in the Bible does not exist" is square two. The Bible is square one.
No, the bible is square two.
On the contrary. Every human being came into a world where it common KNOWLEDGE (knowledge being a natural aspect sentient beings) of a Supreme Being.
Not Knowledge, Assumption. Knowledge is acquired by learning. Assumption is lazy thinking.
As far as you, me, and every single atheist that ever existed is aware of it's fact. They have to introduce square two to try and shake it off.
No, because there is no such Necessity. (look up Necessity and Sufficiency)
Wishful thinking is a human ability.
Humans are caused by God according to any scripture you care to mention. To show that God as defined in the Bible does not exist you have to know what that God is.
Science is working on it.
You seem reluctant to find out, choosing instead to focus on theism.
From my point of view, theism is an expression of belief in a sentient God and a reluctance to find out what the real properties of a scriptural God is through the scientific method.
Personally I think you're afraid, but that is a different discussion for a different thread.
On the contrary, I believe you are afraid to find out God does not exists, because you are personally invested.
The reality is, no one can live without the notion of a Supreme being, anymore than anyone can live without the notion of having parents. No matter how much you deny it.
I live without the notion of a Supreme Sentient being with human attributes, including subjective human sentience and emotions.
That's what makes these discussions such fun.
In a secular society you can have such discussions. and either have fun with it, or have a serious discussion why God is not necessary in the creation and evolution of this universe.
I don't have to conclude anything, unless I decide that to invoke one of many square two positions, like you have. Jan.
I remain firmly on square one. No God as defined in scripture.

Last edited:
Back