Proof that the Christian god cannot exist

Possibly. I'm still churning it through my head.

Yes ...

Too depressed to look at the clock.

Really? Where is the empirical rigor?!
Or did you just get used to identifying yourself as "depressed"?

I have no idea.

Well, then we can't hope to make progress, if our basic terms are not defined.
Then, there is also no reason to get upset over the free will problem etc..

Really? Where is the empirical rigor?!
Too depressed to care! :p

Well, then we can't hope to make progress, if our basic terms are not defined.
Then, there is also no reason to get upset over the free will problem etc..
Meh, where's the definition of "real" first?
THAT'S why I have no idea.

Meh, where's the definition of "real" first?
THAT'S why I have no idea.
*Wait, so you decided that free will was an illusion without knowing what the real is?

i mean, you can say it is 'not real', but....that's a pretty meaningless definition without a definition of real.

The Christian God allows Free Will, so to stick with a Christian God we have to have certain strict rules. We aren't allowed to deliberately use a science that we know full well isn't free will to begin with.. else we only win a fake argument. Christians can come back, and say we cheated.

You didn't address any of my questions!

*Wait, so you decided that free will was an illusion without knowing what the real is?

i mean, you can say it is 'not real', but....that's a pretty meaningless definition without a definition of real.
Pfft.
I said it because the argument being used showed that free will does not exist. Yet we believe we have it.
Ergo I can claim it's an illusion without knowing what "real" is.

Pfft.
I said it because the argument being used showed that free will does not exist. Yet we believe we have it.
Ergo I can claim it's an illusion without knowing what "real" is.

I have noted that your argument is incomplete and assumes an irrational definition of free will.

Your conclusion that free will is an illusion (and that you needn't know what real/illusion is) is based on an incomplete argument with unsound premises.

I have noted that your argument is incomplete and assumes an irrational definition of free will.

Your conclusion that free will is an illusion (and that you needn't know what real/illusion is) is based on an incomplete argument with unsound premises.
So... tell me where the errors are. Don't just leave it at that.

You are arguing that a person's desires, values and beliefs diminish their free will.
Not quite. That was a separate discussion and predicated on a perfect knowledge of those desires etc leading to knowledge of the outcome (which were more or less your own words).

That particular aspect didn't form any part of my basic argument.

You have been ignoring the conditions that are necessary for a will to operate at all.
And because you ignore them, you can conclude that it is not free.

You have been ignoring the conditions that are necessary for a will to operate at all.
Not that I'm aware of.
The definition above fits into my argument.

And because you ignore them, you can conclude that it is not free.
How can it be free if it's inevitable that one will make that particular choice and ONLY that choice?
Where lies the "choice" if ONLY that decision can be made?

A part of the free will problem derives from an unresolved unclarity about what the "free" refers to.

The most straightforward use of the term "free will" is in ordinary law - "To do something in free will - ie. to not be threatened or coerced to do something."

I think that the various forms of determinism (biological, theological, sociological etc. determinism) are operating out of a category mistake, where they try to find will on a level where it does not and can not apply (either in cells, by God's will, as a matter of social formation).

I think the term "free will" should be limited to uses in ordinary law; and everywhere else, we should simply use the term "will."

I think the term "free will" should be limited to uses in ordinary law; and everywhere else, we should simply use the term "will."
will 1 (wl)
n.
a. The mental faculty by which one deliberately chooses or decides upon a course of action
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/will

I'm dubious about choosing/ deciding to do something when there is no option except to do it. :shrug:

Still within the category mistake.

The act of choosing/deciding applies when, and only when, we deem there are options and when we deem we have to pick one of them.
Which does happen.

So essentially you're saying that provided we think we have a choice (regardless of the facts) that's actually a choice?

Back