Proof that the Christian god cannot exist

@SciWriter --

I saw an interesting lecture about this once, perhaps I'll post a video in the physics subforum.

Good; I saw a BBC video on YouTube about Everything and Nothing, as I think it was called, a short part of which was about removing everything from a large metal cylinder—and yet something still appeared: electron/positron pairs. Of course, I guess it still contained space-time, if that matters.

Some suggest that a true nothing would have to be some kind of hole in space-time, if that's even possible. A black hole doesn't seem to be such, though, and space-time seems to be full of field, as Einstein liked to say.

As for God granting free will, it is kind of a joke that in the end it really has to correspond with God's will, or else!

God notions come from those throwing away the template after only one simple use of it through wanting some larger Life behind our life. Plus, it's the complete wrong direction to look, that of more complexity rather than toward the simpler and simpler.

Free will was given as a test to man. Man is obviously king of the jungle, but we dont need our free will to be so.. so how did it evolve?..

Free will was given as a test to man. Man is obviously king of the jungle, but we dont need our free will to be so.. so how did it evolve?..

There is not really any free will, just an ever growing and changing fixed will ever increasing in knowledge for wider choices. What you do as will depends on what you have become. Now, really, how could it not depend on anything, for "undetermined" is the alternative to "determined". Undetermined actions would have gone nowhere really fast.

@Knowledge --

King of the jungle? I be willing to bet five grand that you wouldn't survive a week in the woods, let alone a jungle.

Proof that the Christian god cannot exist.

This is a revision and refinement of a post I made over a year ago but there are so many new members now that I felt it worth a revisit.

Omniscience vs. Human Free will. A Paradox.

Omniscience: Perfect knowledge of past and future events.
Free will: Freedom to choose between alternatives without external coercion.
Paradox: Statements or events that have contradictory and inconsistent properties.

Proposal:

Christianity cannot claim that God is omniscient and also claim that humans have free will. The claims form a paradox, a falsehood.

Reasoning:

If God is omniscient then even before we are born God will have complete knowledge of every decision we are going to make.

Any apparent choice we make regarding the acceptance or denial of Jesus as a savior is predetermined. This must be true to satisfy the assertion that God is omniscient. Effectively we have no choice in the matter. What we think is free will is an illusion. Our choices have been coerced since we exist and act according to the will of God.

Alternatively if human free will is valid, meaning that the outcome of our decisions is not pre-determined or coerced, then God cannot be omniscient, since he would not know in advance our decisions.

Question:

If God knows the decision of every individual, before they are born, regarding the acceptance or denial of Jesus as a savior, then why does he create one set of individuals destined for heaven and another set destined for eternal damnation? This seems unjust, perverse and particularly evil.

Conclusions:

If God is omniscient then humans do not have free will (see argument above) and the apparent arbitrary choice of God to condemn many individuals to eternal damnation is evil. I.e. God does not possess the property of omni benevolence and is therefore not worth our attention.

If humans have true free will then God cannot be omniscient (see argument above). If he is not omniscient then he also cannot be omnipotent since knowledge of the future is a prerequisite for total action. Without these abilities God can no longer be deemed a god – i.e. God does not exist.

If humans do not have free will then the choice of whether to choose Jesus as a savior or not makes total nonsense of Christianity since the choice is pre-determined and we are merely puppets at the hands of an evil monster.

Cris

The above isn't a Paradox because a Paradox can't have loopholes in it, it has to be a closed case, and it isn't a closed case.

God can know all future events.
God can create man with free will (if he allows man to be chaotic)
God can allow man to be chaotic even if he knows the outcome of this chaos.

For example.. the army might build a war robot even if mankind knew that in the future this war robot would take over the world. Just because you know something is going to happen doesn't close the loophole in the Paradox. A Paradox with a loophole isn't a paradox.

It's not nonsense, a Paradox is a closed loop.

par·a·dox

- a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.

- a seemingly absurd or self-contradictory statement that is or may be true: religious truths are often expressed in paradox

- a person or thing exhibiting apparently contradictory characteristics

- an opinion that conflicts with common belief

- That which is apparently, though not actually, inconsistent with or opposed to the known facts in any case.

- A statement that seems contradictory or absurd but is actually valid or true. According to one proverbial paradox, we must sometimes be cruel in order to be kind. Another form of paradox is a statement that truly is contradictory and yet follows logically from other statements that do not seem open to objection. If someone says, “I am lying,” for example, and we assume that his statement is true, it must be false. The paradox is that the statement “I am lying” is false if it is true.

Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/paradox

par·a·dox

- a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.

- a seemingly absurd or self-contradictory statement that is or may be true: religious truths are often expressed in paradox

- a person or thing exhibiting apparently contradictory characteristics

- an opinion that conflicts with common belief

- That which is apparently, though not actually, inconsistent with or opposed to the known facts in any case.

- A statement that seems contradictory or absurd but is actually valid or true. According to one proverbial paradox, we must sometimes be cruel in order to be kind. Another form of paradox is a statement that truly is contradictory and yet follows logically from other statements that do not seem open to objection. If someone says, “I am lying,” for example, and we assume that his statement is true, it must be false. The paradox is that the statement “I am lying” is false if it is true.

Yes.. closed loops.. contradictory.. in maths combined with English...

If I have +1 I also must have -1

Therefore to have something I must have nothing.

+1 + -1 = 0
-1 + +1 = 0

A closed loop.

Yes.. closed loops.. contradictory.. in maths combined with English...

If I have +1 I also must have -1

Therefore to have something I must have nothing.

+1 + -1 = 0
-1 + +1 = 0

A closed loop.

^ Not sure what this is supposed to mean.. :confused:

It seems you are talking about a temporal paradox?
I don't think Cris is using that definition. He wrote: Paradox: Statements or events that have contradictory and inconsistent properties.
Which is an alternative definition of the word 'paradox'.

a self-contradictory and false proposition.

^ Not sure what this is supposed to mean.. :confused:

It seems you are talking about a temporal paradox?
I don't think Cris is using that definition. He wrote: Paradox: Statements or events that have contradictory and inconsistent properties.
Which is an alternative definition of the word 'paradox'.

a self-contradictory and false proposition.

You forget that words are also mathematical formulas. I've been programming since 1980, and I find it easy to switch words into Basic programming. Anyway, whatever.. Chris's quote isn't closed.

Oh right, I forgot.
Words are mathematical formulas.. :rolleyes:

Ever heard of the time paradox? Steven Hawking proposed that you can't go back in time because to alter an event creates a paradox with the future, and he said that this leads to infinite energy blocking up the time vortex which also blocks any attempt to go back in time. So he used maths with a paradox which was related to words, because words are events, and events require energy.

Cruel to be kind.. cruel is negative energy, and kind is positive energy.

picture.jpg

Last edited:
The above isn't a Paradox because a Paradox can't have loopholes in it, it has to be a closed case, and it isn't a closed case.
Wrong.

God can know all future events.
God can create man with free will (if he allows man to be chaotic)
God can allow man to be chaotic even if he knows the outcome of this chaos.
Chaotic has nothing to do with it. :rolleyes:

Back