Proof that the Christian god cannot exist

Logic and reason (of which, there appear to be a couple of inherently fatal errors in the original proposition BTW), will and can only take this so far;

"The brain "tends to search for and hold onto the most rewarding view of events, much as it does of objects," -www.edge.org. "It is much more rewarding to attribute death to God's will, and to see in disasters hints of the hand of God." The "most rewarding view" not the most logical!

"We humans are naturally gullible — disbelieving requires an extraordinary expenditure of energy. It is a limited resource. I suggest ranking the skepticism by its consequences on our lives. True, the dangers of organized religion used to be there — but they have been gradually replaced with considerably ruthless and unintrospective social-science ideology." - http://www.edge.org/

True, the dangers of organized religion used to be there — but they have been gradually replaced with considerably ruthless and unintrospective social-science ideology."

The only thing that made organised religion not so dangerous is the fact that they hold no political power, at least on this hemisphere of the earth. However the dangers of organised religion still exists, just by looking at the M.E. were zealots Islamic radicals comit suicide in public places with the hope of taking as many innocence with them, believing they are bound to be in heaven after their sacrifice.

On another note as well, the psychologicaly damage done to patrons who have false hopes, and foisted quilt complex from organised religion gradually become mentaly disturbed with delusion and in rare instances schizophrenic.

click ref.

Godless

"A believer is a bird in a cage. A freethinker is an eagle parting the clouds with tireless wing."

The rest of my rebutal;
The universe can be said to be existence (tentatively), can be said to have identity (but not to be identity), as a universal identity (containing all identities... again... tentatively), but cannot be said to be consciousness, cannot be said to be conscious, but can only be said to contain conscious entities.

The universe is part of an existence, the only identity to the universe is that we know it's there, I agree that the universe is an inanimate phenomenon with no cosnciousness and that there exists beings which evolved into consciousness. However the universe since it contains our being and we exists with it, it's an axiom. Unless you were to contradict that we don't exist in this universe. (So, the point being made here is that what you call "nature" I do not call God.) OK.

Both God and the universe may be said to contain all principles of reality (tentatively), but only God can be said to BE all principles of reality.

That my friend is certainly an extreme assumption.

Consciousness exists as a specific type of existent with a specific identity. To claim that it does any thing other than what we see it doing is completely arbitrary and without merit. Making the claim "existence requires consciousness" is as valid as the claim "existence requires this table" or "existence requires a large maple tree." - arbitrary, without any basis in reality, without any evidence, and also quite absurd.
Interdependence Theory

The accepted notion of a god, is that it's a primacy of consciousness. This is a canard.
*(The primacy of consciousness theory asserts that consciousness somehow creates reality. Sometimes it takes the form of a divine consciousness that creates reality, and sometimes it takes the form of each individual consciousness creating their own personal reality.

In either case, there is a contradiction. To be conscious is to be aware (of something.)

One can not be aware without something to be aware of. In other words, a consciousness without anything to be conscious of is not a consciousness. Nor can a consciousness be aware of itself and claim to be independent of existence, because if a consciousness is aware of itself, then it must itself exist and be an existent.*
click

Godless

**"A believer is a bird in a cage. A freethinker is an eagle parting the clouds with tireless wing." **

I like this guy! ;)

Mythbuster said:
"A believer is a bird in a cage. A freethinker is an eagle parting the clouds with tireless wing."
Beautifully said.
Regarding 'tireless', though;
We humans are naturally gullible — disbelieving requires an extraordinary expenditure of energy. It is a limited resource.
perhaps 'mighty' instead of tireless? well thew'd? relentless? IRON!
"I Am the Ankh! I Am the Bird with Iron Feathers!"
Ahhh the power of poetry!

Godless said:
Thus to me this means predetermined acts. i.e. if god's knowledge & actions have always been known to him, then the future is predetermined. So is it's will, and our will have been known to "god" from begining of time, thus to postulate an omniscient being contradicts free will, when this entity has full knowledge of what will occur from begining of time, then it can't change it's mind because to do so would render god not omniscient. With perfect knowledge means to me that it's consciousness had its mind set from begining of time thus the paradox Chris talks about. If omniscient being exists, no free will.

You're still missing the point. Yes, God knows everything at the beginning of time. Yes, God can never change His mind. Yes, God has full knowledge of what is occurring. Yes, God's mind is set from the beginning of time. Yes, I understand the paradox of the language I'm using between past and present tenses. I'm doing that purposely.

Here is a way to consider it:

There are possible worlds and there are actual worlds. The actual worlds are what are. Time is the sequenced movement between actual worlds. What determines what possible worlds are actual, is choice. There are two kinds of entities. The holistic and the sequenced. Sequenced entities experience actual worlds sequentially. Holistic entities experience actual worlds holistically. Hence, the sequenced entities experience actual worlds one at a time, in sequence, while holistic entities experience actual worlds simultaneously, holistically.

Aristotle made this distinction when he defined the two infinities: actual infinity and potential infinity. An actual infinite is a complete set, it is perfect, holistic. A potential infinite is an incomplete set, and tends toward the infinite, thus operating by sequence. Really, the universe is potentially infinite. It operates in sequence, or time. Moving from one possibility, or possible world, to the next, probably endlessly. It is impossible for an actual infinite to exist within the universe, as is clear because of the many contradictions that arise. The universe itself is actually not a thing that can be talked about. Things exist in the universe, but "universe" is actually merely a conceptual categorization of reality. That is, it is the sum of existing things. Thus, we can say it is potentially infinite, sequential, since all existing things are in a constant state of flux.

Since the universe, itself, is merely a categorization, and not a specific thing, but contains things, it can be said that it has had a beginning. This is because all things have beginning. If the universe is a summation of existing things, and all things have beginning, then the universe also had a beginning. While one may argue that energy/matter has always existed, and therefore the universe has always existed, that could only be true if you argued that the universe is the summation of energy/matter. This I might go along with, though I find it interesting that many people argue that matter/energy cannot be created or destroyed, and yet other people say that in a vaccuum matter appears to pop into existence from nowhere. I say the matter isn't closed yet.

However, moving on. All things have beginning, so whether you wish to argue that the universe is infinitely old based on the energy/matter argument, you must still recognize the fact that things have beginning. Thus it stands to reason that some force caused things to come into being. You're left with two options: 1. The energy/matter itself has consciousness and caused itself to form things. 2. There is some outside intelligent force that caused matter/energy to form into things. Or, I suppose you could also simply reject the statement that there was an origin to things and say that things, like matter/energy have always existed.

However, no matter what stand you take, you're lacking in empirical evidence, thus to hold a position one way or the other means you're asserting a stance based on purely on abstract logic. You, of course, will argue that there is not empirical evidence for a conscious universe, nor empirical evidence for a conscious extra-universal being, thus your stance is more logical. However, I would argue that it seems contradictory to say that a universe of things, all of which have beginning, did not have beginning. I would argue that it seems contradictory to say that a universe that operates on the principle of cause and effect didn't have an original cause. Others might argue that the universe did have a beginning, but that it has had many beginnings and operates on another universal principle of cycles, and thus, though having many beginnings (and endings), is itself infinitely old. Some would argue that it is cyclic, but that it did have a beginning, and that the cycles are births and deaths of the universe, but merely universal cycles along an endlessly spiralling time-line.

In the end, what we're left with are theories, all drawing from what we know and experience. What matters, what makes one person take one stance over another, is his own personal experiences. You, for example, find it necessary to have empirical evidence otherwise you won't believe it to be true. I am someone who doesn't put so much emphasis on empirical evidence, but do consider it very important. What we both share in common is our devotion to logic, because no matter what stance we take, we both recognize that humans are intelligent creatures for whom it is fully natural and good to make use of. Thus, for people like you and I, it is immoral to disregard the use of the mind. However, I would hope that you recognize that the mind operates both logically and intuitively (again, this duality of sequence and holism). Thus, while I am devoted to logic, I do accept intuition as a viable source of knowledge. This is why I do not place extreme emphasis on empirical evidence, because though intuition also makes use of the evidence it is presented with, it is the logical mind that desires to examine every bit of it, so as to understand each step in the process of reaching the conclusion.

Thus, because I choose to make the stand that there exists a first cause, a universal beginning, an actual infinite, a purely holistic reality, an eternal, I must understand the meaning of such a stance as certainly as I can. Those attributes that I then attribute to this actual infinite are logical progressions, logical results of attempting to understand that reality. Yes, they do seem paradoxical, but that is because when trying to understand them, most people approach the matter as though they were considering a temporal reality, something belonging to sequence, to the universe. This is the error.

If there is an holistic reality, then all of reality already exists: past, present and future. This is because past, present and future are merely categories utilized by the logical mind, within a logical or sequential setting. Some would say that this definitely means predestination. However, predestination implies a predestinator. What, or who, was the predestinator? It cannot be said to be knowledge, since knowledge does not determine what is, knowledge only recognizes what is. If God knows all of time, from all eternity, then it is not God's knowledge that has determined all of time, God's knowledge is only a recognition of what is. Thus, to say that God is omniscient, is to say that all of time already is, already exists, but it says nothing more.

What then is the predeterminator? Could you argue that the first cause was the predeterminator, since then everything following that is an indirect result of it, thus making God the predeterminator (assuming one holds God as the first cause)? If so, then you have already assumed that humans do not have free will, as we have no ability to alter the course set by the first cause.

What then is the predeterminator? I answer that there is no predeterminator. Rather, what is, is determined by choice. Thus, humans are responsible for reality as it is (at least after humans came into existence). Thus, while I say, I am existing now, and my choices will determine a small part of the future, what I'm really saying is that the choices I make now, are what have determined the future that already exists. Then, one might say that the future is predetermined, but only as far as it is individuals, us, you and I, who determine(d) it.

This keeps both human free will in tact, the eternality and unchangability of God in tact, as well as His omniscience.

Godless said:
...ancient nomads who created this god in the first place to give hope to its people that they were the chosen ones of this god. Their ingnorance was not to question this rhetoric, but accept without knowledge if the elders claims held water.

That is was created by those nomads is assumptive, along with the reasons you ascribe to that creation.

Godless said:
The first cause argument has been shown many times to be fallacious.

Fallacious in what way? I've read the rebuttle. Aquinas never claims the first cause argument to be a proof. He merely says that it is a good reason for believing in a God. As for the "possibly multiple first causes" (or multiple gods) argument, I've already indicated why that wouldn't be the case. I've set up reality with a basic duality, the incomplete and the complete, the partial and the whole, the imperfect and the perfect, the logical and the intuitive, the sequential and the holistic, the potentially infinite and the actually infinite, the temporal and the eternal. The nature of the actual infinite, as a first cause to the potential infinite is such that it can only allow for the singular, rather than the plural. There can not have been multiple "gods" as they would all have been eternal, actually infinite, perfect, complete, etc.. and thus all identical and unified, effectively making them a single unit, rather than a group.

Concerning the need for an origin of God, again, the duality of the real should be explanation enough. If the God is eternal, and unchanging, then all of existence is eternal. Thus, though the universe had a beginning, it has also always existed. The reason the universe logically needs a beginning is because things have beginning, sequence also has beginning. Holistic existence could not have a beginning, because that would imply that it is not holistic, but rather incomplete, imperfect. Because the universe changes, it can be seen to not be complete, holistic, actually infinite. It is sequenced, tending toward the infinite, potentially infinite. I do not say that the universe has a beginning because it needs explanation. I say it has a beginning because that is its nature. God does not have a beginning because that is the nature of God.

Godless said:
I don't think that the universe is sequential, thus no begining. But an eternally existent phenomena.

I believe reality is eternal, but the universe, as the sum of existing things, must necessarily be temporal, sequential. I don't know how you could possibly deny this. But please, I'd like to hear your argument (sorry, didn't read the link before writing this. I might take a look when I'm done).

Godless said:
The bible was writen by primitive men, their mentality was undergoing a mental evolution, thus the mind was becoming self aware. "I Am" is a formal way of saying I exist as an idividual. Moses I think was not only delusional but also schizophrenic, thus it was only his imagination were he heard the voice say. I am it was his self consciousness that he heard. The little voice inside everyone's head. You know by now I refer to Dr. Julian Jaynes theory of origins of consciousness.

This is conjecture, so I'm not going to say anything concerning it. I'll let the issue of axioms and the "I AM" drop for now, for the sake of staying on topic. The topic, of course, being the contension that omniscience precludes free will.

Godless said:
The rest of my rebutal;

The accepted notion of a god, is that it's a primacy of consciousness. This is a canard.
*(The primacy of consciousness theory asserts that consciousness somehow creates reality. Sometimes it takes the form of a divine consciousness that creates reality, and sometimes it takes the form of each individual consciousness creating their own personal reality.

In either case, there is a contradiction. To be conscious is to be aware (of something.)

One can not be aware without something to be aware of. In other words, a consciousness without anything to be conscious of is not a consciousness. Nor can a consciousness be aware of itself and claim to be independent of existence, because if a consciousness is aware of itself, then it must itself exist and be an existent.*
click

Godless

Accepted. My rebuttle:

God's consciousness and being arise eternally simultanseously. Thus, God has always been aware of Himself. Moreover, all of existence has existed eternally, thus God has always been aware of existence. At the same time, God's actions also arise simultaneously with His consciousness and being, this including God's creative actions. Thus God's being, God's consciousness, God's creative actions, and God's creation (existence aside from His own being), all arise simultaneously, eternally.

As for the primacy of consciousness. That primacy only exists in regards to the existence of His creations, not His own existence. If we were to align God temporally (and this, of course is going to be problematic, but just for the sake of understanding), God exists, God is conscious of Himself, God is conscious of all possibility, God chooses, God acts, God creates, Universal Existence begins. Anyway, God is eternal, not temporal, so all of these things occur at once, eternally.

Godless said:
Well this is a rationalization; If you would have searched further you would know that today, we know that our universe is not an ordered existence but a chaotic existence. click
And yet we had to delve through an incredibly ordered system to find that out. So ordered that we could even predict the existence of elements that had never been found. That a chaotic system could harbour so much order on the surface is something that physicists are still working on. Why are they still working on it? Because they're convinced there's an explanation, something to understand.

Like Christianity who opposed reason, and history proves us through the "Dark Ages" when church had complete political power, and human advancement became almost at a hult. Read your godamn history! man... :rolleyes:
Did you even read your own links?
Most modern historians dismiss the notion that the era was a "Dark Age" by pointing out that this idea was based on ignorance of the period combined with popular stereotypes: many previous authors would simply assume that the era was a dismal time of violence and stagnation and use this assumption to prove itself.
Ironically, while Petrarch's concept of a "Dark Age" corresponded to a mostly "Christian" period following pagan Rome, the neutral use of the term today applies mainly to those cultures least Christianized, and thus most sparsely covered by the Church's historians.
In modern times, the term "Dark Ages" is still used in popular culture. Petrarch's ideological campaign to paint the Middle Ages in a negative light worked so well that "Dark Ages" is still in popular use nearly 700 years later.​

Last edited:
Godless said:
wrong! It is with "reason" that I became atheist. It's with logic that I killed him/her/it.

An Atheist Manifesto

I agree with you that logic does kill the existence of God. I know what that's like. I know what it's like to defy your reason to be a believer. It sucks....it's unnatural. It is lunacy to be unreasonable. What I am saying is that when God proves himself, you don't have any other choice than to believe because of the reasons he reveals. I only wish you could understand, but you must experience God for me to prove him. I know you have at some point, but logic has killed God. And the thing is, God will not reveal himself to those who do not need God.

Godless said:
There's no such thing. Morality is subjective, morals are what drove me away from organised religion. Read your Christian history. What is moral about massacre of thousands of innocent people who denied your god? There's no morality in christianity. It's quite the opposite, and history has proven that.

You're right. Morality is subjective. History has proven that people are the opposite of moral, regardless of being a Christian or not. Christianity, and the teachings of Christ, are the true way to live. Humility, peace, and love are the primary qualities.

Massacre of thousands of innocent people? Which event are you referring to? If morality is subjective, then why is that not a moral action? It depends on the circumstance, doesn't it? We also must define innocent.

When I said, "moral" I did not mean morality like right and wrong. I mean the most pure way to live. An unadulterated life of love, peace, and harmony that ends in the best situation for all parties involved. A combination of utlitarian morality and something else...

Godless said:
I don't dwel in the posibility of a perfect life, I know that's just a fantacy made up to fool the masses of what organised religion can accomplish. It has been 2500 years and basically all we've seen from organised religion is wars, crusades, inquisitions, zealots like Kores, Rev Jim Johnes, Osama bin Ladden, Bush, Catholic preast who seduce children..Damn boy can't you see that there's no morality to your god or it's religion?

Morality is subjective. Nobody's perfect. Nobody gets a free pass.

My God is merciful and loving, but morality is subjective. For instance, I don't think the Isrealites thought God was very moral when they were being swallowed up by the Earth. Nor did Sodom think God was moral when they were destroyed with Brimstone. Nor did the people think God was moral when it rained for 40 days and 40 nights, and all but Noah and his family were drowned. Who is to say what is moral? The maker of the universe offers only the best solution for all in every situation.

Anything which follows God's commands is moral. That's not to say that anyone who follows God is moral, but if they are in fact following God (and not just proclaiming it), it is moral. Killing is a moral act if God commands it. Except, that is usually not the best solution to problems and not a concept Jesus condones. There is only one time that I can remember that God asked a group to kill. He was punishing the Isrealites and allowed an invasion. Then, after that, the army that invaded was punished because they didn't kill by God's command.

Katazia said:
Jayleew –

And there lies, perhaps the real crux of the entire religious nightmare. What you claim as a major factor for your belief is a fundamental fallacy in logic. It is the idea that something must be true because so many others believe it. The oft quoted example of the flat Earth should give you some insight to the utter stupidity of your position. Or put another way; you believe because someone else believes and they believe because you believe. It is perfectly circular with no sign of truth at any aspect. In other words you admit to being little different to a mindless sheep.

Kat

Yo, I didn't mean people. There is no one on this Earth that is able to prove God's existence to anyone, and anyone who believes just because the pastor on Sunday preaches, is being set up for a fall. I WAS a mindless sheep. When reason came in, I stopped believing in God, but I did have a hope. And through time and many different experiences, God proved himself. Sure, I have doubts of God because I am naturally a skeptic, but I also don't have a choice but to believe because of my experiences of God.

Jayleew:But, there comes a point when there are so many that are focused, building upon the same destiny, that there is only one logical conclusion. It would be unreasonable to think otherwise.

I meant so many experiences.

If it smells like a pig and looks like a pig, that doesn't mean it's a pig. But, if it smells like a pig, looks like a pig, weighs approximately like a pig, eats what a pig eats, sounds like a pig, tastes like a pig, etc. It's more than likely a pig.

There are so many experiences I've had, so many coincidences, that are focused, building upon the same destiny, that there is only one logical conclusion. It would be unreasonable to think otherwise.

Mythbuster said:

Critical thinking is an important part of life. I am sure we all have felt the negative effects of gullibility. But, at what point does a "freethinker" believe in anything? Should they?

beyondtimeandspace said:
You're still missing the point. Yes, God knows everything at the beginning of time. Yes, God can never change His mind.

God saw the sinful acts of the Isrealites and told Moses that he would destroy all of them and make a new nation of Moses. God planned to do that. Then, Moses petitioned to God to spare them, and that God ought to kill him too if he was going to kill the Isrealites. Then, God changed his mind. He said, very well, for your sake I will not destroy them. God knows all hearts and all powerful. He has all the gifts, including prophecy. But that instance right there proves many things about God, but definitely is an example of him changing his mind.

beyondtimeandspace said:
Since the universe, itself, is merely a categorization, and not a specific thing, but contains things, it can be said that it has had a beginning. This is because all things have beginning. If the universe is a summation of existing things, and all things have beginning, then the universe also had a beginning. While one may argue that energy/matter has always existed, and therefore the universe has always existed, that could only be true if you argued that the universe is the summation of energy/matter. This I might go along with, though I find it interesting that many people argue that matter/energy cannot be created or destroyed, and yet other people say that in a vaccuum matter appears to pop into existence from nowhere. I say the matter isn't closed yet.

If energy has always existed, how can there be a beginning to life? Life has not always existed, therefore energy has not always existed.

I think Moses meant that God created energy the first day, because light as we know it was created on the fourth day.

beyondtimeandspace said:
I believe reality is eternal, but the universe, as the sum of existing things, must necessarily be temporal, sequential. I don't know how you could possibly deny this. But please, I'd like to hear your argument (sorry, didn't read the link before writing this. I might take a look when I'm done).

Good point.

jayleew said:
If energy has always existed, how can there be a beginning to life? Life has not always existed, therefore energy has not always existed.
LOL! Genius comment! :D
How did you reach these conclusions?

Sarkus said:
LOL! Genius comment! :D
How did you reach these conclusions?

Think about it before you hastily read and respond to surface arguments. Why didn't energy create life an infinite number of years ago, since energy is infinite? On the same token, if energy is eternal, how could the universe have a beginning? If if the universe is eternal, why isn't the Earth eternal?

jayleew said:
Think about it before you hastily read and respond to surface arguments. Why didn't energy create life an infinite number of years ago, since energy is infinite? On the same token, if energy is eternal, how could the universe have a beginning? If if the universe is eternal, why isn't the Earth eternal?

Arguments like these contradict evolution.

jayleew said:

Because the Earth will one day Transfer it's energy beyond it's mean and therefore living out it's end. Planets live and they die, some planets never host life, does that mean that they never lived? The bottom-line is that energy in form is inevitable to change, but that does not constitute the idea of energy no longer existing.

ArtofWar said:
Because the Earth will one day Transfer it's energy beyond it's mean and therefore living out it's end. Planets live and they die, some planets never host life, does that mean that they never lived? The bottom-line is that energy in form is inevitable to change, but that does not constitute the idea of energy no longer existing.

But, if the universe did not have a beginning, how could any planet exist? What I mean is that if energy is eternal, it has been around forever. If that is so, then there should be an infinite number of Earth's and alien lifeforms. Because of that, life has been around for an infinite number of years. Our current evidence doesn't support this theory because we can age everything around us, so either we lack evidence, or the theory that energy is has always been around is false. If you say we lack evidence, that is like me telling you there is a God and not providing any evidence and telling you that you haven't found it yet.

If god exists in the popular form, then it is all-powerful, all-knowing, eternal. yada, yada. Being god, it cannot be subject to any laws, such as logic or reason. If it was, then those laws would be greater that it.
So, god is not subject to logic & reason, so therte is no point in talking about it since it's nature would be totally unpredictable and thus unknowable.

Our current evidence doesn't support this theory because we can age everything around us, so either we lack evidence, or the theory that energy is has always been around is false.

You are right, energy has not always been around.

Back