Poor Aisha

Re: Aren't we all Muslim according to their belief?

Originally posted by Medicine*Woman
Flores stated much earlier that being "Muslim" means "anyone who submits to God." Therefore, are the only ones who aren't Muslim atheists? And what about those folks who more or less believe there is a God but, technically, don't "submit" to God?

From Chapter 2 vese 62

62. Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in Allah and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve.

I am not very hopefull for athiests. But it is not my call. God/Allah will judge them and not me.

Okinrus

Yes. I live about 30 miles away from the Baltimore harbor if that counts.
Indeed it does. The reason I ask is that it provides a sort of counterpoint. You wrote:

- To believe that God could love an instrument is nonsense. I think even human love is beyond this sort of thing.

You live in a coastal area; do you know any mariners of any serious sort, either professional or recreational? They say a sailor loves his boat more than his wife, and to be honest, there are occasions when it is true.

Perhaps the notion of human love has moved beyond love of an instrument, but humans in general still invent passionate relationships with their instruments. Ask a sailor's wife about his mistress; just for the humorous value, ask the captain and crew of the M.V. Lesbian Warmonger (I don't know them personally, but wanted to find a way to work the boat into the post.)

If you didn't live in a coastal area, I would have had to resort to cars; it's a weaker comparison, but still ....

And yes, I've known a couple of people who have loved their firearms like I can't possibly ever wish to know.

Ever see Caddyshack? That bit where the Judge gets out his sacred lucky putter? I've seen that kind of insanity in real life; it's not nearly as funny in reality as it is on the silver screen.

The larger point, of course, is that people tend to love their instruments. And there's the obvious: ask musicians. You'll find a good number of guitarists who would marry their primary guitar if only she could cook as well as she could sing.
Without freewill there is no one to blame for sin except for God.
Um ... I'm looking for a polite way to say, "And ...?"

Admittedly, I'm not having much luck. Sorry 'bout that.

But I'm going to have to ask for a bit of a connect-the-dots. Specifically, while I don't disagree with you, I also don't see what is problematic about the condition.
The bible is infalliable on matters of faith. That does not meant that the bible is perfect. Many people wrongly interpreted the bible. To do really complete and accurate interpretation requires knowledge of the history when it was written and context of the entire bible.
While I disagree with infallibility, I do agree with the last part of that. But this is why the mystics of the monotheistic religions are viewed as elitist; Muslim mystics were among the first to include elitism as a defense against orthodoxy in the sense that they responded to the charges of being weird by saying, "Yes, and that's why it takes a long time to learn enough to be as weird as us."

By contrast, the common faith is ... an institution unto itself.
I think yesterday was the feast day of a 12 year old saint . . . .
I admit, that was not the response I was expecting.

Um ... give me a little time. Part of what I'm hung up on is the last sentence. Which woman? The saint? The elderly? The one in the van?

In the case of the latter, I have to disagree. She did not have her freedom taken away from her. She was free to choose to have sex or die.

The point being that this is similar to the "free will" of humanity. One has the choice to conform in faith and practice or to be condemned.

And, personally, I can take the Bible in such a manner as to not equal that result directly, but I guarantee you the level of subjectivity and myth awarded the Bible in that case is unacceptable to most Christians, and I do mean most.

Kind of like the way some faithful like to remind that works alone will not get you into heaven but forget the fact that works alone can be held as indicative of faith, and thus can get you out of heaven.

But the "free will" is held hostage by a revealed stake of duress.

Like I said, though, I'm going to take some more time with your paragraph; I'm sure I've missed something.
For example, if we consider ourselves to be just a collection of cells, then do we really exist when we die?
We cease to exist, in practical and relative terms. We also continue to exist, though not in the same form or according to the same organization; portions of us become disparate and other things. Ibn Sina's (Avicenna) failed attempt to rationally prove the existence of God,
begins with a consideration of the way our minds work. WHerever we look in the world, we see composite beings that consist of a number o fdifferent elements. A tree, for example, consists of wood, bark, pith, sap, and leaves. When we try to understand something, we "analyze" it, breaking it up into its component parts until no further division is possible. The simple elements seem primary to us as the composite beings they form seem secondary. We are continually looking for simplicity, therefore, for beings that are irreducibly themselves . . . . (Armstrong°, 182)
One must answer the question of what "we" are before one can address the question of what becomes of us when we die.
In theory it appears that we could remove our legs, our arms, our stomach and progresively find the essence of our existance.
The defining essence which separates humanity from other animals will be a matter of organic electricity or other energy. The defining essence which separates any object from any other in the Universe is a ratio of matter and energy and what is happening to either according to the interrelationship of the factors.
Therefore unless if you admit that we do not exist,
This possibility worries me none. In fact, it would do much to alleviate a good amount of stress associated with life.
were just a function of our suroundings and one with the universe, the universe exists and we are just a dependant part of the universe
Well ... monism is among the traits I show regularly. In fact, it's the answer I gave in a WE&P topic concerning the religions of the posters.
Also the single existance of ourselves is still in error without freewill, because we exist in the past, present and future if time is just another dimension. Thus we have a infinite number of selves and we cannot even speak of existance without free will.
Think about it this way: For all the might-have-beens, this is the way things went.. As we go from word to word, second to second, heartbeat to heartbeat, free will may seem self-evident, but it is not. What is the sum of all things with which you have interacted? What is your cumulative effect on the Universe (you are connected intrinsically to the whole Universe, remember)?

But if the Universe is, as science seems to indicate, essentially infinite, and if the Universe generally regards a balance of matter and energy, then it seems that on the one hand, life is a statistical necessity in the Universe to the point that the infinite selves are merely elements of a computer program running different data sets until all possibilities are accounted for (an infinitely complex and perhaps impossible account). By that scenario, we are predetermined in our present manifestations to have exactly this conversation at exactly this time.
I've only heard this in the writings of Justin. I'm not sure about often, but listening to slander given by roman polytheists does not make too much sense.
The Roman opinion on early Christians will make more sense than, say, the Aboriginal Australian opinion on early Christians.

From The Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius
If the gods have determined about me and about the things which must happen to me, they have determined well, for it is not easy even to imagine a deity without forethought; and as to doing me harm, why should they have any desire towards that? For what advantage would result to them from this or to the whole, which is the special object of their providence? But if they have not determined about me individually, they have certainly determined about the whole at least, and the things which happen by way of sequence in this general arrangement I ought to accept with pleasure and to be content with them. But if they determine about nothing- which it is wicked to believe, or if we do believe it, let us neither sacrifice nor pray nor swear by them nor do anything else which we do as if the gods were present and lived with us- but if however the gods determine about none of the things which concern us, I am able to determine about myself, and I can inquire about that which is useful; and that is useful to every man which is conformable to his own constitution and nature. But my nature is rational and social; and my city and country, so far as I am Antoninus, is Rome, but so far as I am a man, it is the world. The things then which are useful to these cities are alone useful to me. Whatever happens to every man, this is for the interest of the universal: this might be sufficient. But further thou wilt observe this also as a general truth, if thou dost observe, that whatever is profitable to any man is profitable also to other men. But let the word profitable be taken here in the common sense as said of things of the middle kind, neither good nor bad.
I actually came across this quote in Pagels° while looking for a bit about Celsus, but the bit from Celsus is ill-cited in the notes, and so I can't bring you a link to the longer text until I figure out who said what.

I found this suitably ... relevant to another point in this topic. I'll figure out the Celsus bit.
The slave masters would often force the slaves to commit sinful acts. While Paul said "serve your master as you serve your master in heaven.", the slaves in the caribs were often only given four hours of rest. Hardly enough time to serve their king in heaven.
In such limited and direct applications, you have a point, but as a foundation for a larger Truth, it is important to bear in mind that such conditions are not necessarily consistent.

That's why I say, And why not?
An abused woman almost never really loves her husband . . . my bet is that she would fall in love with the needle and not the man.
I have cited your post as such in the above because in that form, you have it exactly.
Well ... Tertullian is interesting, but we might prefer a topic of its own, as we see in Prescriptions:
We want no curious disputation after possessing Christ Jesus, no inquisition after enjoying the gospel! With our faith, we desire no further belief. For this is our palmary faith, that there is nothing which we ought to believe besides. (Ch. VII)
Tertullian is an interesting case. I'll give that particular document you recommended further reading, though.
Then how can God take some of the spirit that rested on Moses and let it rest on the 70 elders?
The simplest pseudo-monistic answer would be to note that all that happened was that the spirit was always there and only made apparent at God's will. A removing of a dust-cover, so to speak. Instead of leaving the records on the shelf, divine groove played.

Notes:

° Armstrong, Karen. A History of God: The 4,000-Year Quest of Judaism, Christianity and Islam. New York: Knopf, 1994.
° Pagels, Elaine. The Origin of Satan. New York: Vintage, 1996.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Markx,

I did not claim that the Qur’an states that the legal age for girls to marry is nine. Iranian Sharia law, of which the Qur’an is the principle source, establishes nine as the minimum age (with parental consent) that girls can marry.

Since Iranian Shi’ite clerics have devoted their lives to studying the Qur’an and the Sharia, they must have had a good reason (in their minds) to establish nine as the minimum age for girls to marry - namely the age of Aisha when she married Mohammad.

I personally don’t believe that a majority of Muslims think that marrying a nine year old is acceptable. It was aberrant behavior in 600 CE and it is aberrant behavior now.

Last edited:
Originally posted by LucidDreamer
I personally don’t believe that a majority of Muslims think that marrying a nine year old is acceptable. It was aberrant behavior in 600 CE and it is aberrant behavior now.

I like to personally ask another question that was never answered. Which calendar year was used at that time that was used to calculate Aisha's age. The Lunar calendar started years later after Muhammed's death and worked itself back to his birth. The Lunar calendar is shorter than our calendar so you live more years if you count your age in lunar calendar. What makes us so confidant that the arabs didn't use a calendar that is longer than our conventional solar calendar where Aisha might have been 16 by our system and only 9 with the old reporting.

Originally posted by LucidDreamer
Markx,

I did not claim that the Qur’an states that the legal age for girls to marry is nine. Iranian Sharia law, of which the Qur’an is the principle source, establishes nine as the minimum age (with parental consent) that girls can marry.

Since Iranian Shi’ite clerics have devoted their lives to studying the Qur’an and the Sharia, they must have had a good reason (in their minds) to establish nine as the minimum age for girls to marry - namely the age of Aisha when she married Mohammad.

Lucid: I have a post in this thread and there is another post which gives you complete details about invalidity of yours or other memeber's claims, who are trying to prove that Aisha was 9 years of age. I showed you in that post that AISHA WAS NOT 9 years of age and IT IS NOT POSSIBLE. She was at least 15-16 when she was married or even older because of HISTORICAL studies and Facts stated before. So, please read them if you can and then see, where I am coming from and why.

**Since Iranian Shi’ite clerics have devoted their lives to studying the Qur’an and the Sharia, they must have had a good reason (in their minds) to establish nine as the minimum age for girls to marry - namely the age of Aisha when she married Mohammad**

Iranian are not the only muslims in the world, infact they represents only a minor percentage. It is silly to say that they studied Quran so much and if they make a decession it is based on better understanding, many sunni muslims don't even consider shiatte's as real muslims, they have their reasons. Now they have very funny laws and regulations and have nothng to do with ISLAM, they follow the law of Mutta, which is a temperory marriage something that is forbidden in Islam. Now, how is that based on sharia or Quran? I have no clue . Do you see my point?

It is strange that you think if IRAN studied the Quran it must be correct and what about the rest of the world's muslims countries? How would you epxlain thier laws etc. Or are you disregarding their studies because they don't fall into the certain criteria of argument you are trying to pose?

Again, let me repeat that Aisha Didn't Marry Muhammad at the age of 9. The historical/logical age falls between 15-16 at the time of nikkah she was no less then 13-14 and at the time of marriage 15-16 or older.

Markx,

You have not proved anything. You have only established that there is a controversy surrounding the entire subject. That controversy seems to involve the validity of the Hadith, which some Muslim scholars accept and others reject.

I have not claimed that Aisha was nine when she married Muhammad, but rather that Iranian clerics have used their belief in Aisha’s age to justify the marriage laws in their country. It seems that your argument is with them and not me.

You live in a coastal area; do you know any mariners of any serious sort, either professional or recreational? They say a sailor loves his boat more than his wife, and to be honest, there are occasions when it is true.
I thought most humans got beyond that. Perhaps, but they still personify the boat and call it a her.

Um ... I'm looking for a polite way to say, "And ...?"
From the bibical perspective we have to assume that sin exists. And that assumption means that there are actions that distance us from God. However if we are not responsible for our actions then there is no sin.

Ever see Caddyshack? That bit where the Judge gets out his sacred lucky putter? I've seen that kind of insanity in real life; it's not nearly as funny in reality as it is on the silver screen.
No, I don't think I've seen it. Speaking about golf clubs, have you seen the movie where someone strikes a demon with a golf club? Forgot the name of it, but it stars Matt Daemon and Chris Rock. The joke was that the priest had blessed the golf club and that was why it damaged the demon or something like that.

Um ... give me a little time. Part of what I'm hung up on is the last sentence. Which woman? The saint? The elderly? The one in the van?
http://www.catholic-forum.com/saints/saintm09.htm

In such limited and direct applications, you have a point, but as a foundation for a larger Truth, it is important to bear in mind that such conditions are not necessarily consistent.
That's why I say, And why not?
The idea here wasnt to prove that all forms of slavery are wrong. It is concievable to imagine such harsh conditions where surival depends on a master-slave relationship. The gospel is love, while slavery is built from hate.

The simplest pseudo-monistic answer would be to note that all that happened was that the spirit was always there and only made apparent at God's will. A removing of a dust-cover, so to speak. Instead of leaving the records on the shelf, divine groove played.
That would presuppose that there is something covering the holy spirit and something revealing it other than the holy spirit. It was the Holy Spirit that revealed Jesus to the disciples and by the holy spirit we know Jesus is our Lord. So I see the holy spirit revealing the Son who reveals the Father and not the other way around. I do agree that all people who are not condemned do have some of the holy spirit, but their cup is not overflowing so to speak. This is why Jesus said that those who blasphemy against the holy spirit will not be forgiven in this life or the next. I interpret this too mean that without the holy spirit we cannot ask for forgiveness or see the Son. David and Isaiah refer to God's spirit being poured on to them so that they were annnointed. Also David became annointed one only when he was given the kingdom of Israel.

Okinrus

I've been meaning to give your post some attention over the last couple of weeks, but I keep missing it.

Part of it is that I was thinking about splintering into another topic. But I tried tracking the dialogue back through the posts and it's a long train. So ....
That would presuppose that there is something covering the holy spirit and something revealing it other than the holy spirit.
This is the whole of why I'm stumbling at this point. I don't see this as necessarily so. Do you or I have infinite vision, knowledge, and wisdom? Quite obviously not. Does that mean the Holy Spirit is any less present before the elders have the wisdom? If suddenly the Lord reached down and gave you new sight, transcending what your faith already told you was real, would you say that the Holy Spirit exists where it did not before, or simply that you are now empowered by His Will to see this particular aspect of His presence and method?

To Okinrus who wrote:Aisha wanted Muhammed and gave him full consent. So first explain why this wrong in your moral system?

I am responding to this because your response implies you believe her age to have been truly nine.
Of course a child can give full consent right? Because it is normal for nine year old girls to find an old man attractive right? Yea she was not old enough to menstruate but old enough to have sexual desire and sex with a dirty old 50+ year old man? And yes I am saying the ole prophet was a dirty old man!! They can hunt me down like Rushdie if they like. Old pervert:mad:

Last edited:
Lucysnow :

first you say : I have not claimed that Aisha was nine when she married Muhammad, but rather that Iranian clerics have used their belief in AishaÂ’s age to justify the marriage laws in their country. It seems that your argument is with them and not me.

And then you say :

And yes I am saying the ole prophet was a dirty old man!!

So obviously that would be your claim . Correct me if Im wrong .

But in this case the matter has been dealt with .

Nine ... ten ... eleven ... twelve ...

Lucysnow

Just because I'm curious, how do you feel about age ten? To save you the click, I will cite footnote 2 from Lysander Spooner's Vices Are Not Crimes (1875) -
The statute book of Massachusetts makes ten years the age at which a female child is supposed to have discretion enough to part with her virtue. But the same statute book holds that no person, man or woman, of any age, or any degree of wisdom or experience, has discretion enough to be trusted to buy and drink a glass of spirits, on his or her own judgement! What an illustration of the legislative wisdom of Massachusetts!
Furthermore, though I'm reaching in terms of sources, I recall during the NPR hype surrounding the release of a book on abortion in colonial America the assertion that you could win that consent with payment or gifts. Ten year-old prostitutes! In Massachusetts, of all places!

And strangely, there is something all-too animal, or perhaps primate, about sexual vitality and immaturity. I've seen plenty of PBS-grade field footage of chimpanzee and macacque mothers protecting immature female offspring from the lusty advances of mature males in heat. So whether it's war-torn Africa, the Middle East of antiquity or modernity, colonial America, or the bloody internet, I'm prepared to deal with the fact that some people lust sexually immature humans. We're in reasonable standing among mammals, at that. Cats, dogs, chimpanzees, macacques ... those I know I've seen. Hell, some dolphins don't care if you're of the same species, but then again neither does Rover. Apparently some humans do care if you're of another species, such as these folks. Kevin Spacey may win awards, but I know exactly why my former roommates loved American Beauty.

Britney Spears, "Baby Spice" ... does anyone remember Liv and Alicia in the "Crazy" video?

The 1990s saw a number of mainstream pornography taboos shattered. I remember a Penthouse spread that involved sisters in physical contact, airbrushed to look like ... well, it was bizarre. Watersports made Penthouse around 1997. Penetration, oral sex ... standards were broken ... how many Taboo sequels have there been? Incest is old. Age is about the only real verboten left, and it shows.

So Muhammed was a dirty old man? Sounds about human. Perhaps to some Muslims the notion that Muhammed could be so "human" in and of itself will seem offensive. But to others, it seems sort of the point.

I am responding to this because your response implies you believe her age to have been truly nine.
I don't believe that her age was nine, just somewhat young of course. It's just odd that atheist seem quick to make fun of some other religions when they cannot even explain why sexual relations are wrong with 9-12 year olds. For all we know, Alisha would have starved to death without Muhammed marying her.

Does that mean the Holy Spirit is any less present before the elders have the wisdom? If suddenly the Lord reached down and gave you new sight, transcending what your faith already told you was real, would you say that the Holy Spirit exists where it did not before, or simply that you are now empowered by His Will to see this particular aspect of His presence and method?
By Moses giving the holy spirit to others, portents Christ who gives the Holy Spirit that rests on him to his disciples. It's incorrect to treat the divine Advocate as obeying physical laws though. If the Holy Spirit allows us to feel love and prods us to love, then he is within one who gives it to many. So Moses did not loose any of the spirit. However the holy spirit must be within the elders before it came upon them. Otherwise there is no forgiveness of sin and no knowledge of God. Did the elders know all of the fruits of the holy spirit until it came upon them in full? I don't think so. Even in the most barren desert we can find wells of water. With the help of Jesus we can draw up water. It's a good question if we are immersing ourselves in rivers of Eden that were already in our hearts but not yet felt by the soul or if the Father pours himself into the heart creating new rivers? I'm not sure, probably a little of each.

It's tragic that the islam apologists here try to deny that Mohammed was a pedophile by denying that Aisha was nine years old.

It's very clearly written in the Hadith, that Aisha played with dolls. What 16 year old does that?

No, Mohammed first started getting hardons when he saw Aisha as a 6-year old kid, and he boinked her when she was 9 years old.

Khomeni even passed a fatwa based on this fact.

Khomeni ...

Khomeni ... there's the heart of sanity.

Anyway, DJ Supreme, what nobody can explain to me is what the big deal is about Mohammed and Aisha.

To Kanafani: I was not responding to you at all. I was responding to what I found a flippant remark by Okinrus as to the child's 'choice'. Actually my response was not geared towards the religion or the clerics as such but to the way people justify something they know to be wrong or would not want for themselves or their children.

Tiassa just because having sex with a child of ten was protected by law does not make it right. As for ten year old prostitutes one only need go to Asia and for very little money a child can be procured for sex. South African men have a notion that having sex with a child-virgin will cure them of AIDS ergo raping children, their belief in the magic of sleeping with children does not make it right. From your argument about the breaking of taboos I would imagine that if society breaks the age taboo (like Holland where the age of consent is 12) that you would have no problem with your 12 year old daughter on the lap of a 45 year old male? Or perhaps this issue is so relative for you that you imagine that when you were nine a 52 year old man would have seemed...well inviting? I am not saying lust in all its variety isn't human, hell there are some who enjoy eating their lovers excrement, necrophilia is also practiced by humans. Seems even animals in the wild see no necessity to fuck the dead! But guess what? I have no problems with an adult eating anothers excrement or bonging the dead (what adults do with other consenting adults is not my business) but to exploit the young is destructive. Since you seem to have an intellectual interest in such taboos why don't you research the psychological and physiological affects on nine year olds who have been sexually compromised. To have sex with a female before her body and mind are prepared (pre-pubescent). Can you imagine how painful it must have been when the her body unprepared to excrete lubricating juices? Ah I guess he must have used butter!

Okinrus: First I am not an athiest but I won't get into my beliefs in God here I just have no use for religion. Second if believing in God means I am blind to what is obviously wrong then...well I have no use for it. I guess once you believe something has been mandated from god then you can overlook, apologize and excuse any behaviour. You and the followers of Jim Jones seem to have a lot in common.

Last edited:
Lucysnow:

The question is not whether sex with a nine year old is right or wrong? We all know that it's wrong, even ten is wrong, and eleven is wrong.

But my question to you is what are you basing your knowlege and bashing on? How do you know with any degree of certainity the age of the girl or in that matter the age of the Prophet? Those people had no calendar system similar to ours to base their calculations on. They had no knowledge of the biblical calendar. So are you basing it on some Hadith? Well, Hadith is the equivalent of bible studies, not bible, but bible studies. A someone who heard it from noone who heard it from everyone that such and such person may have said that....Come on now Lucy, you seem to do you research in a more detailed format than that.

So please don't call a prophet a dirty old man based on gossip and consumate a marriage between two people that you have no knowledge of except from writings that you don't agree with it's credibility in whole....it just doesn't suit you.

Lucysnow

Lucysnow
Tiassa just because having sex with a child of ten was protected by law does not make it right.
And?

That's not to be flippant, Lucy, but rather to examine a certain point:

- Mohammed had a young wife; this is apparently something to criticize. As compared to what? An abstraction? An assertion of virtue?

The thing is that I agree that having sex with a child of ten is flat wrong. But the larger context also involves the fact that we're hacking Mohammed here for something that ... well? Most men, insofar as I can tell, would envy Mohammed.

I'll try something: I'll document and ("translate") for you a conversation I had at a Pearl Jam concert. I was ... 26 at the time ... I think. So was my associate.
Tiassa stops in his tracks, jaw open. Bob stops, follows his gaze to where a young woman has caught Tiassa's eye as she walks along.

Bob: Well now ... what is that?
Tiassa: Tragic.
Bob: Tragic?
Tiassa: Well, it's illegal. ("She's what ... fourteen?")
Bob: So? ("It's okay to look.")
Tiassa: Why bother? ("Why tempt with what I can't have?")
Bob: You smoke pot. ("You waste brainwaves on other things, why not this?")
Tiassa: But isn't it creepy?
Bob: How so?
Tiassa: Jack and Caroline. ("Caroline is underage, and Jack is what ... 30? This isn't a little creepy? You know Jack ... come on!")
Bob: I bet she's an amazing shag. ("I want to find out how amazing a shag she is.")
Tiassa: What about Joe and Mary?
Bob: Mary's not a minor.
Tiassa gives a pointed, disgusted look. ("And you know he only likes her because she looks twelve. And don't pretend he's never trolled a high school before. And besides, you think she's driving him to ruin.")
Bob: Okay, it's not exactly healthy. ("We're all surprised Joe hasn't been arrested for something yet.")
Tiassa: I think I liked it before, when you had to go out of your way to think dirty. ("Children and 'f@ck-me' clothes just ... rrrrrgh!")
Bob: Well--
Tiassa: F@ck! Hel-lo .... ("Lookie that! Another one!")
It's not that I disagree with your paragraph about sexual diversity. But on the one hand it's just not as simple and clear-cut as that. However, my purpose is not at this time a detailed examination of the effects of child sexual abuse on the individual survivor. Between you, me, and the dead walls around here I'm not sure that's a topic you'd like to have at Sciforums; I don't think people would handle it in any reasonable manner.

What I hope will be an interesting sidetrack for you: "Abnormal, Wrong, Unnatural and Perverse", by Le'a Kent

This is an interesting little paper written at the University of Washington a few years after Oregon endured "Measure Nine", an anti-homosexual ballot measure that was the second round and first statewide battle in a decade-long electoral war. Kent, in the paper, examines the strategies employed by one side of the debate in the voter's guide. There's a segment of the paper called "The Family (Is Always and Necessarily) Under Siege", and in there, a quiet point about a politically active homophobe sitting around and writing a story of preteen seduction and drawing the accompanying illustrations. This was an immeasurably hilarious and valuable observation to me, because my example was always Phillip Ramsdell publishing a list of sexual behaviors (that moment is also briefly addressed in the paper) that just about anybody can do.

And that tied in with a notion I picked up from a guy from Columbia University on NPR during the Clinton "Zippergate" scandal in which the professor discussed the idea of "Puritan Pornography". Back at the turn of the twentieth century, the Anti-Catholic League circulated a broad array of vicious propaganda designed not only to discredit Catholic doctrine but to defame Catholics as human beings as well. Among these, the professor described several having to do with Catholic sexuality and, in their way, they are shocking and perhaps a little bit titillating to the Puritan streak running through American Protestantism. And what he asserted was a basic psychological function. These folks, sexually repressed, focused on the sexuality of other people, lived vicariously through the sordid details asserted of others, and masked this sexuality of their own in the guise of righteous knowledge, armoring against the Devil, &c.

The final part to throw in there is that a friend of mine had a child a couple years ago, and while this is nothing unusual, you should have seen him obsessing on her future when he found out it was a girl. I spent many a smoke break listening to him agonize over her future sexuality in a very old-fashioned manner. I resolved to take the lesson and go with it. It's come in handy (heh-heh ...) When I learned I had a daughter coming, it did eventually hit me that, estimating by the way things seem to be working, I can expect my daughter to be sexually active by age 11.

So I figure I've got a while to figure out how to handle it. But I'm not going to make the mistake made with my generation. Sex was a forbidden treasure to us. It was an obsession. (Watch teen comedies from the 1980s ....)

In the meantime, I'm not going to panic, and I don't even really want to dwell on it. The point being is that my daughter should never be the extended focus of sexuality in my mind.

And then I look over at the "responsible conservatives" in that tired Oregon (or Colorado) fight and realize that they spent most of the 1990s thinking about sex and their children.

Would someone please get them a subscription?

So it seems to me that people just want to either talk about having sex with kids or else seek a modern-values criticism of an historical context in order to further their hatred of Islam.

So Mohammed had a young lover. This is bad. Compared to what? Compared to the thousands of rapes annually in high school and college social circles in America? Compared to how many girls did I know who were abused? Compared to a nation that made Britney Spears number one? How's this one: Jon Benet Ramsey? Why do we have child beauty contestants at all?

Waif look, cheerleader fetish, pigtails, forty year-old women showing daisies on their underwear .... Our culture worships and lusts youth. And our children do pay for it. Dearly.

So Mohammed's a human being like the rest of us? I can deal with that.

I'm not even jealous of the guy. I figure if I'm supposed to have sex with a child, the opportunity will arise that is so undeniable that it would require my suicide to escape. In the meantime, my sex life is a misogynistic stereotype, so I'm not inclined to be sympathetic to the post-Edwardian self-loathing that passes for sexuality in America right now. As such, I see this in a cold light:

- Mohammed had a young lover. So f@cking what?

What disturbs me is that the people who devote so much effort to hating Islam can't even find a good reason. Such as one that doesn't apply broadly outside the example.

And in the meantime, what of the comparative? Jesus? Never tempted, never loved a woman with passion, never got laid? Yeah ... there's a prophet with an understanding of the human condition ....

People can feel how they want about who and what they want. I would just like them to make sense every once in a while. Seriously, with such an anemic topic post and people rushing to make shallow, modern value judgments without any indication of deeper consideration ....

I mean, look at the way the point bounces off some of these dullards. Sometimes I think I could drop an anvil on someone's head and they wouldn't notice.

Re: Khomeni ...

Originally posted by tiassa
Khomeni ... there's the heart of sanity.

Anyway, DJ Supreme, what nobody can explain to me is what the big deal is about Mohammed and Aisha.

Is it not clear enough to NOT require an explanation, tiassa?

The short version is that the Qu'ran, Hadith & Sunna is the basis of the islamic culture, and when pedophile shit like this is at the basis of a culture, and used as inspiration every time the local Mulla @ a mosque has his friday prayer... abominations are bound to happen en masse.

Tiassa, do us a favor and pull your head out of your ass.

Uncountable abominations and evils have been commited in the name of Allah; mohammed and Islam. Most of it with the written blessing of the "holy scriptures" of this religion.

Thats why I dislike Islam. Thats why I protest against the pseudo-humanistic and tolerant crap (tolerate islam blah blah blah) we're fed here.

DJsupreme,
Please be advised that Tiassa is far suprior than all of us combined in writing and debating ability, and although I oppose him in many views, I'm compelled to read his justification because It's superior than me and all other posters whether I like it or not. I try to refute them, but I know in the bottom of my heart that it's a losing battle.

If you have eyes and can recognize skill when you see it, I ask you to start reading Tiassa's posts and learn from his debating skills and elevate the level of discussion. You may save the insults and the derailed discussions for me if you wish.

Back