Personal experience as a basis for god belief

Myles,

I do not acept unquestioned authority.

Niether do I.

My reference to those books was, as you well know, an attempt to see whether you have ever taken your nose out of the bible to look at other possibilities.

You seem full of assumptions.

I like your sense of humour. So they are all united ? How about the Muslims who regard Christians as infidels and and some Christians who will say it is the Muslims who are infidels. Lots of accord there.

Institutes tend to be competitive, religious or not, it is a sign of the modern world. Scriptures harbour no such discrimination.

Those who drive to rallys to rant on about atheistic science, conveniently overlooking the fact that their cars are a spin-off "atheistic" science.

How are cars a product of "atheistic science" (whatever that means).

Why don't they walk or ride donkeys as in biblical times ? All a bit confusing for anyone who chooses to think about it.

We live in different times. Donkeys were probably the most comfortable, and fastest way to get from A to B in those times and places, so it made sense to own some. In the future we may purchase flying cars, who knows.

Here endeth the last message; You are totally confused and beyond help. Please read my remarks interspersed with your response above. I am new to this so I do not know how to use colour as you have done.

Myles, in truth, you do not know me or what I am about well enough to make such remarks.

Jan.

Myles,

So if I have read this right you believe in free will, but have knowledge that it is not true. I can't see then the base position of this thread. You live your life based on a belief based on experience. You react to and relate to other people from this belief. Isn't this what some theists also claim and do. Further your belief is contradicted by your knowledge. That sounds remarkably like certain forms of faith.

Is this the only area of your life where you are resigned to believing and acting in one way and knowing that this belief and these actions are not based on knowledge?

Certainly determinism (and randomness) seem to be hard to swallow emotionally. Some clinically depressed believe everything is determined. But then there are mystics who have believed in determinism and seemed not depressed at all.

On what basis do you conclude that your beliefs and knowledge on this issue cannot be reconciled? (I do not have acess to the book you mentioned by H)

Does your knowledge about this issue affect your behavior in any way?

(Some of the above is based my sense that you do not consider randomness and free will the same. I am not 100 % sure of this.)

Last edited:
I think people say they have these experiences because they've been taught that certain human qualities are not human qualities, they are evidence of God, or they are God calling you. For example, if you see a child drowning, you will save them, because that's your instinctive human reaction. An atheist would call that what it is, an instinctive reaction to seeing a child in danger, a Christian/Muslim/whatever on the other hand would probably say it was God calling them to save the child. Or if someone has an experience of extreme happiness, people of 'faith' *spits on floor* would be more likely to attribute it to God, where an atheist would just call it happiness.

I forgot to mention one last thing which you'll love. One of my daughters-in-law is a reader in pharmacology. She is currently researching ways of treating Alzheimers by methods which would reduce dependency on drugs. How about that for a broad mind !

I think people say they have these experiences because they've been taught that certain human qualities are not human qualities, they are evidence of God, or they are God calling you. For example, if you see a child drowning, you will save them, because that's your instinctive human reaction. An atheist would call that what it is, an instinctive reaction to seeing a child in danger, a Christian/Muslim/whatever on the other hand would probably say it was God calling them to save the child. Or if someone has an experience of extreme happiness, people of 'faith' *spits on floor* would be more likely to attribute it to God, where an atheist would just call it happiness.

I think you have a point but consider the following:

The inherent contradiction in believing god is calling on one of his creatures to undo what he, himselslf, allowed to happen in the first place. Remember, believers will tell you he ( I refuse to capitalize the g in god, or in any reference to him ) is omniscent. It follows that he foresaw the satate of the world before he created it but allowed thungs to happen anyway. Some philosophers have tried to make a case that he created the best of all possible worlds but you will not find many agreeing with them.

You will be aware that god cannot lose. Fire, flood, famine and so on. The survivors will thank god for saving them . But do they ever blame him for allowing others to die. Of course not. That was god's holy will which we must not question.

You mention Muslims. Daily we read accounts of innocent people being blown to pieces by fanatics who have been brainwashed that god will reward them with special priveliges in heaven for their ( mis)deeds Think of all the people who were burned at the stake because they could not accept religious dogma.

The saddest instance I ever read was of a man who was put to death by the Inquisition. His great sin ? He believed god's mercy was so great that in the end he would forgive Satan. Compare that man's idea of god's love with that of the bigots who put him to death. A lot of similar stuff that went on was politically motivated rather than based on religious belief.I won't go into that now.
I could go on indefinitely but I think I have said enough for you to get the picture. Howver, if you have not done so already, please read what I have said in an earlier post about a description of gang-rape in the old testament. I have been told my interpretation is wrong but I have been given no satisfactory explanation concerning what the " right interpretation " is.

Just google Judges and you will find what I am talking about from verse 22 onwards. Then, please tell me what you think it means. The trouble with Christians is that they do not think for themselves. This does not mean they are stupid, They were simply brainwashed from an early age into believing that the Bible is the infallible word of god. So they do not question it. I find what is described in Judges disgusting. Believers accept it as being literally true. Read it and make your own mind up.

If you wish to discuss things further, please feel free to question anything I say. I will not try to bamboozle you with dogma. I will answer you to the best of my ability and tell you my reasons for believing what I say. If i cannot answer a question, I will say I do not know. I will not try to mislead you .

Whatever you decide I wish you well. One final thought. You were born with the ability to reason, so why not do so rather than blindly believe what someone tells you, and that includes anything I say. Make a start by googling judges, read what you see and if you are not revolted by what you read from 22 onwards , by the gang-rape and murder that you find there , that's fine. I find it disgusting but its your privelige to disagree with me. Many Christians succeed in bamboozling others who have not read much of the bible. So it then comes down to the Christian at your door telling you what the Bible meams He wants to do to you what was done to him before he was old enough to question what he was told.I don't doubt the sincerity of such people; I just think they are misguided

I wish you well whatever you decide to do. I hope to hear from you again.

Last edited:
Myles,

You seem full of assumptions.

So put me right bytelling me whether you have read anyof the books I mention
A simple yes or no will do, so why avoid the issue with a non-answer, which is what you are doing at presen

How are cars a product of "atheistic science" (whatever that means).

Ask the fundies who drive them . They all talk of atheistic science. If you do not agree with them , tell them so They may run you out of town but, at least you will have your dignity

We live in different times. Donkeys were probably the most comfortable, and fastest way to get from A to B in those times and places, so it made sense to own some. In the future we may purchase flying cars, who knows.

So we live in different times There's a surprise. I have been told that the Bible is for all time. You may not have noticed that i referred to donkeys, it should have been asses, tongue in cheek

Myles, in truth, you do not know me or what I am about well enough to make such remarks.
I agree and as long as you hide behind a smokescreen, there is no chance of anyone getting to know you. Ihave declared myself. Why cannot you do the same ?

Jan.

Where I come from we say : Put up or shut up. I'm sure there must be an American equivalent

Myles,

So if I have read this right you believe in free will, but have knowledge that it is not true. I can't see then the base position of this thread. You live your life based on a belief based on experience. You react to and relate to other people from this belief. Isn't this what some theists also claim and do. Further your belief is contradicted by your knowledge. That sounds remarkably like certain forms of faith.

Is this the only area of your life where you are resigned to believing and acting in one way and knowing that this belief and these actions are not based on knowledge?

Certainly determinism (and randomness) seem to be hard to swallow emotionally. Some clinically depressed believe everything is determined. But then there are mystics who have believed in determinism and seemed not depressed at all.by H)

Does your knowledge about this issue affect your behavior in any way?

(Some of the above is based my sense that you do not consider randomness and free will the same. I am not 100 % sure of this.)[

/QUOTE]
Again you have totally misunderstood what I said which, in essence was that we have no way of knowing whether we have free will or whether we are determined . It will seem the same to us whichever it is. However, if I were forced to guess, I would opt for determinism because that is how we experience the world. If you can think of an effect that has no cause, you are a better man than I am. Having said that , I would prefer to be free and I feel as if I am. Don't expect any clever answers on this site. Philosophers are still at odds over the question. My belief, for what it is worth is that
neuroscience will come up with some sort of answer long before philosophical discussion will.

The mention of mystics brings us back to where we came in: belief versus knowledge Most of us have had some some sort of mystical experience, epiphany, call it what you will, but we should not believe that we are adding to the sum total of human KNOWLEDGE.

Why not enrol in a few courses, if you have not do so already. You will be in a structered environment so that questions you ask and your understanding of the answers will be on a safer footing.

Talking in broad terms of QM, consciousness, mysticism, herbal remedies and so on will get you nowhere, if you really wish to be exposed to knowledge as opposed to beliefs you acquire bt reading here, there and everywhere. Engage with others in a more direct way

In conclusion either take my advice or,

" Th'art i' th' right. Go sir, rub thy chain with crumbs"

Tewlfth Night: Act II, scene III

M*W: I'm an American, and where I come from (the South), they say that too! I think it's quite universal

Thank you kindly. Ma'am. I have driven from DC along the Blue Ridge mountains and the Smokies. Had I only known you then I could have been your gentleman caller and drunk your Mint Julip.I did, however get to see Davy Crocket's hut in Greenville Tennessee. I was in my prime then, about 35 years ago.

Shall we start a war over who first used the above expression ? I have witnessed fights in Dublin pubs over less weighty matters.

I miss your quote of the day.

Where I come from we say : Put up or shut up. I'm sure there must be an American equivalent
Jan Ardena,

Afterthought. If you do decide to post again , please remember I still awaiting your interpretation of the pssage I cited from Judges. I gave you my interpretation. Please give me yours. Are you , perhaps, a moral coward ?

Last edited:
Myles,
You are so fixated on being condescending that you repeat things I obviously understood.

I think it would make things clearer if you stated whether randomness and free will are the same for you. Earlier you said there were two possibilities: determinism or randomness. I don't think either of these fits the experience of free will. (And please, I am not making a case for free will here. The purpose of these last posts is to understand what you, Myles, consider your own beliefs and knowledge to be, given the context in the thread where you are taking theists to task for basing their beliefs on experience. I think it is only fair to see what is different about what you do.)

I read this:
Concerning debates in a determined universe. We believe we have free willand so we behave as if it were true. It may be an illusion but we have no wa of knowing. See " How Free Are you" ( Ted Honderich ) forwhat is probably the most accessible intriduction the this topic

'We believe in free will...' I assumed thiat you included yourself in this 'we'. I also assumed that this free will 'we' believe in is not randomness. However much it may seem like we have free will, it does not seem like a random universe. Yes?

Do you believe this...
...we have no way of knowing whether we have free will or whether we are determined .

or this....

My belief, for what it is worth is that
neuroscience will come up with some sort of answer long before philosophical discussion will.

Having said that , I would prefer to be free and I feel as if I am. Don't expect any clever answers on this site.
I am not seeking an answer to the question of free will versus determinism. I really don't know what made you think I was. I was dealing with the topic of the thread. You are critical of theists because they base their belief in God on experience. You have admitted that you believe in free will- or at least put forward H's assertion that 'we' believe - and behave accordingly. So you prefer to live your life based on a belief based on experience that much evidence indicates is not the case. And since you say
If you can think of an effect that has no cause, you are a better man than I am.
you have seen no evidence for a non-deterministic universe.

My understanding was that your concern when it came to theists was that they based a belief on experience, a belief with no evidence to back it up.

Yet here you are living your life on the basis of a belief that you have no evidence for.

In distinction from the theists you acknowledge that much knowledge - as opposed to belief based merely on experience - points to determinism and none points toward free will.

1) I think that this sets up an interesting compartmentalized psychology in you, which you are not alone in having, of course. And that it is a phenomenon worth pointing out. I realize that H points out this phenomenon also and I have heard it raised and raised it myself in other contexts. I had not thought of it in a discussion in relation to the criticisms athiests make of theists, however.
2) It raises issues, which I clearly pointed out in my previous post, about the categorical complaint you aim at theists, who live and behave according to a belief based on experience AS YOU DO. That you are uncertain, or recognize knowledge contradicting this belief, seems IN PRACTICAL TERMS similar to the role doubt and faith play in the lives of theists. You have a different relationship with this belief in that you, perhaps, see it as a kind of necessay evil or kind of like a soothing habit, wheras the theist might have more respect for their belief. But nevertheless in terms of living in the world the belief rules. I certainly see it at work here in the thread.

I am aware that the content of your beliefs are different from theists. I am aware of the negative effects of some theists' beliefs. But it seemed like your intention was epistomological and in that kind of discussion content is not the issue.

The mention of mystics brings us back to where we came in: belief versus knowledge Most of us have had some some sort of mystical experience, epiphany, call it what you will, but we should not believe that we are adding to the sum total of human KNOWLEDGE.

That was not my point with that section. You are not reading carefully. I was talking about the consequences of actually believing you are not free. I was not making a case for the validity of some belief based on the experiences of mystics. Clean the lenses through which you read everything I write.

You have basically stated that this is the situation: one must live in uncertainty. I was pointing out that actually some people seem to have moved away from that uncertainty in a direction you seem unaware of: towards accepting determnism as a belief - not the way scientists do, but in everyday life and consistantly. Some clinically depressed people, but also mystics, who, for whatever reasons do not seem bothered by having everything worked out in advance and simply unfolding before them. (of course I cannot prove they have this belief, but some have claimed very strongly that they did have this belief, the problem of other minds. And, Myles, read this carefully. I am not making the case for mystics beliefs of the world or that their beliefs are convincing. The irony in this instance is that their belief in some cases HAS FIT with evidence that determinism is correct. I am contrasting this with what your posts imply: that one cannot do anything but compartmentalize the evidence that we live in a determined universe.

Why not enrol in a few courses, if you have not do so already. You will be in a structered environment so that questions you ask and your understanding of the answers will be on a safer footing.

Stop it, Myles.

Talking in broad terms of QM, consciousness, mysticism, herbal remedies and so on will get you nowhere, if you really wish to be exposed to knowledge as opposed to beliefs you acquire bt reading here, there and everywhere. Engage with others in a more direct way

Blah, blah. Grow up. What are you here for Myles? The one thing I appreciate about your posts after I made a fool of myself with QM is that refer to posts of mine from before that and show the real condescension you have felt all along. Your posts feel more honest now.

What is your purpose here? Did you come to edify those you look down on?

Are you capable of introspection, Myles? What is the real motive you had for starting this thread. If the best you can come up with is that you are concerned about theists' false beliefs and their poor epistemology, my suggestion would be to look a bit deeper. You could even keep in mind the structure of your own psyche that I went into above. You prefer the belief in free will and live your life as if that was true, but recognize the knowledge that indicates you probably don't have this. A kind of split. What role are other people, especially theists, supposed to play for you here?
Hamlet:
Suit the action to the word, the word to the action, with this
special observance, that you o'erstep not the modesty of nature:
for any thing so o'erdone is from the purpose of playing, whose
end, both at the first and now, was and is, to hold as 'twere the
mirror up to nature: to show virtue her feature, scorn her own
image, and the very age and body of the time his form and
pressure.
Hamlet Act 3, scene 2, 17–24

Who am I directing this quote at, Myles? I'll give you a hint: not at you.

Last edited:
Myles,
You are so fixated on being condescending that you repeat things I obviously understood. I think it would make things clearer if you stated whether randomness and free will are the same for you.

These are my last words to you on the matter:

I have said on an earlier post ...to be honest I can't be bothered to look it up .....that determinism and randomness are mutually exclusive. They are so by definition , not because I say so. So the universe is either determined or it is not.

It follows that randomness and free will are NOT the same to me. How could they be when I have said on this and a previous occasion that they are mutually exclusive ?

My actions are either free or determined. I don't know which. When I act it "feels" , insofar as I choose to think about it , as if I am acting freely. But, I would feel the same way if my act was determined because I regard myselff as the agent of the action .So, I have no way of distinguishing a free action from one that is determined. To repeat myself I DO NOT KNOW, I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE .

So , having said I have no knowledge, what follows is speculation or , if you prefer, what I believe.

On balance, the universe appears to me to be determined. I have no knowledge of an effect which is not preceded by a cause. Please don't muddy the water by talking about a first cause, a Prime Mover, because that horse has been flogged to death. You will be aware that it leads to an infinite regress ,which solves nothing.

I have read of many experiments which suggest that we are determined. As you mentioned neuroscience on a previous ocasion I imagine you are aware of some ofthem. One that comes to mind is where a number of individuals, suitably wired up, are asked to watch moving spots on a screen and raise an arm when the spots come together. The upshot is that the decision to raise an arm can be seen in measured brain activity before the individual is consciously aware of it.

Such experiments do not prove we are detrmined, they show only that decisions can be made unconsciously. Read into that what you will.

As to QM, the current interpretation may be right or wrong; the jury is still out.

I could also discuss systems which are not predictable but not necessarily random.

In conclusion. I have stated my position as clearly as I can and will leave it at that. If given a choice, I would opt for free will because I would feel more comfortable with it. But the debate is not about my likes and dislikes.

You are right to draw attention to my attitude and immoderate use of lamguage. You have my unreserved apology. But please believe that part of me was trying to be helpful in suggesting what I did about courses, etc.

Please let's leave it at that. Best wishes,

Myles

I

In my haste to answer you I messed things up. But I am mentally and physically too tired to start over

Jan Ardena,

Afterthought. If you do decide to post again , please remember I still awaiting your interpretation of the pssage I cited from Judges. I gave you my interpretation. Please give me yours. Are you , perhaps, a moral coward ?

I will respond to your interpretation, just a bit short on time right now.

Jan.

I have said on an earlier post ...to be honest I can't be bothered to look it up .....that determinism and randomness are mutually exclusive. They are so by definition , not because I say so. So the universe is either determined or it is not.

It follows that randomness and free will are NOT the same to me. How could they be when I have said on this and a previous occasion that they are mutually exclusive ?

Isn't there something confusing in the above? I certainly understood that randomness and determinism were mutually exclusive. I don't quite see how that leads to
It follows that randomness and free will are NOT the same to me

My sense I have had this confusion in reading your posts before when discussing these three 'things'.

My actions are either free or determined. I don't know which. When I act it "feels" , insofar as I choose to think about it , as if I am acting freely. But, I would feel the same way if my act was determined because I regard myselff as the agent of the action .So, I have no way of distinguishing a free action from one that is determined. To repeat myself I DO NOT KNOW, I HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE .

So , having said I have no knowledge, what follows is speculation or , if you prefer, what I believe.

So in a sense you have two beliefs - if you agree with H that 'we' believe we have free will - the belief in free will that you live by and the belief that probably you are determined. Given your gracious apology below I feel much milder about what I was pressing you to look at in my post above.

On balance, the universe appears to me to be determined. I have no knowledge of an effect which is not preceded by a cause. Please don't muddy the water by talking about a first cause, a Prime Mover, because that horse has been flogged to death. You will be aware that it leads to an infinite regress ,which solves nothing.

I wouldn't have. I think trying to prove God's existence is a waste of time.

You are right to draw attention to my attitude and immoderate use of lamguage. You have my unreserved apology.

Thank you, accepted.

So in a sense you have two beliefs - if you agree with H that 'we' believe we have free will - the belief in free will that you live by and the belief that probably you are determined. Given your gracious apology below I feel much milder about what I was pressing you to look at in my post above.

I have said on a previous occasion that KNOWLEDGE is always on a firmer foundation than BELIEF is. Can I put it this way: I have no knowledge of whether I am free or determined.No KNOWLEDGE. It follws that I do not agree with H. I have read and thought about what he has to say, without arriving at a conclusion. His argument is plausible, that's all. Read him yourself and make your own mind up.

Whether I live by one belief or another is irrelevant. What I chhose to believe is in the same category as the beliefs of others because I can offe no incotrovertible evidence to support my beliefs. I simply make the point that I " FEEL " that I am a free agent, which proves nothing. I accept that I may be determined, but have no way of knowing how I would be aware that I was so.

So , I have no knowledge or belief either way. I would like to think I was free, and that is my position.

Before acting, I do not have an internal debate as to whether what I have decided is free or determined. I just act.

Interesting that you should offer a quotation from Hamlet He was the decision maker par excellence! Did he believe he was both free and determined ? That could explain his dithering

Can we now draw a line under this, If you choose to believe that I hold two mutually exclusive beliefs, so be it.

If you insist on a label, I'm an empiricist. My beliefs about the world are supported by empirical evidence which, to me, means I have a store of knowledge. I am willing to change my views if evidence comes to light which shows me to be wrong. But it must be empirical evidence, not hearsay or information obtained in a trance and so on which is only available to a chosen few. I don't deny personal experience but I will not accept such experience as a part of my belief system if it is not supported by empirical evidence. And that is my last word on the subject as far as our dialogue is concerned. If you agree, fine; if you disagree, that's also fine.

Last edited:
Too late for what ? Please enlighten me.

If I first seek to find evidence about what the meaning of life is and only after I have found it, live accordingly, I might waste my life in the meantime.

If I first seek to find evidence about what the meaning of life is and only after I have found it, live accordingly, I might waste my life in the meantime.

So what are you recommending ? That I follow a coursee of action recommended by someone else ? How would I recognize whose word I should accept and whose I shoulds ignore ? How does one make that choice and what guarantee does one have that one has made the correct choice ?

I could waste my life in a monastery, Christan, Buddhist or whatever and come to the conclusion that I had chosen the wrong path.

May you not also be making an assumption that life has a meaning ? Maybe we just happen to be here and that's it. I assume you would not regard that as a tenable position. If not, why not ?

I would like to think there is some meaning to life but I have no evidence that there is any.

Back