Patriotism is wrong

So you're saying (implying actually) that we should stop eating food because a few UN workers used it to bribe a few persons into having coitus?
Nothing further.

Hapsburg said:
So you're saying (implying actually) that we should stop eating food because a few UN workers used it to bribe a few persons into having coitus?
Nothing further.
Nope, I was just nullifing your example.

Hapsburg said:
Nothing further.

You want to be a sheep because you always have been.

madanthonywayne said:
Patriotism is normal and natural and necesary if a nation is to survive. It is only when one is taught to NOT be patriotic because to do so is "jingoistic" or insensitive to multicultural values that patriotism declines.

Patriotism is a form of blind allegiance to some abstract ideal. I prefer allegiance to my people as an organic entity (nationalism), and that definitely is not compatible with multiculturalism!

:m:

spuriousmonkey said:
You want to be a sheep because you always have been.
Sheep to what? I had to instill my patriotism to the ancient Austrian Empire by myself. No one forced me to it. I simply felt a connection to my forefather's homeland, and went with that.

Didn't anyone tell you the Austrian empire doesn't exist anymore. Which part of the empire was actually your forefather's homeland? Why aren't you patriotic about that? Is it because you feel a need to belong to something greater. Have you been taught that it is good to belong something greater. In what way do you think it is normal to feel patriotic about something non-existent?

Kingdom of Bohemia, specifically. However, at the time he came over to the US, it was part of a great whole, the Austrian (or rather, austro-hungarian) Empire.
No one taught me about that. What part of that do you not underfuckingstand? I looked it up myself, and felt a personal connection to the ancient land where my greatgrandpa originated.

android Patriotism isn't necessarily a blind allegiance. I think that's more properly termed fanatacism. I have my reasons for my allegiance to the United States, and they certainly don't involve turning off my mind.

I gotta back up Hapsburg, here. My ancestors are considered extinct (Chaco-Anasazi on my father's side). At one time, they had an empire of their own that covered the southwestern United States and a not-inconsiderable portion of Mexico. Among our slaves were the people who would become the Hopi, the Navajo, and the Apache. I have always felt a great degree of pride when I would see their ancient buildings still standing, with only time being able to do what centuries of warfare and slave uprisings could not.

You can't be nostalgic for something you were never there for.

Back