Our attitude concerning mockery of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon

So, irrespective of evidence, we can argue whatever we want with equal merit.

The dying gasp of logic.

Yes - and when that birth, so tremulously heralded but completely unsupported, turns out to be a stillbirth, shall we carrying on pretending the exquisite corpse breathes still? In your version of logic, apparently so.

We're discussing theism and imagination, not logic, but perhaps your past still haunts you.:p

SAM said:
Imagination is what you see beyond the visible. When you lack the very ability to see beyond absence of evidence, what hope is there for the future?
When you lack the ability to see what's in front of your nose, what hope is there for the present ?

Not much. The contention is that belief in a deity is fundamental, with human curiosity and imagination byproducts of it. In support of that we are informed that it makes no sense for atheists to value natural conservation, therefore they don't, nor are they capable of formulating imaginative and not immediately evident explanations for natural phenomena, since they lack imagination. Additionally, they regard absence of evidence as evidence of absence.

We know all this about atheists and human imagination by having been made the beneficiaries of a flash of insight into why a theist would find themselves puzzled about what atheists were saying in response to past allegations of that kind.

I confess that I am unable to predict what will be the next step in this stairway to some kind of alternative reality. I have a guess regarding the root insight, though. I think the first step was the sudden realization that anyone who could truly imagine a deity would believe in it. With that a priori and unarguable, the rest kind of falls into place.

Still confusing absence of evidence for evidence of absence.

sigh.

j/k

It was just an observation, not an opinion. But don't you think beginning from a basic premise where "no=i don't know" creates a different paradigm of thought construction?

Your continual mistaking of those kinds of empty assertion, baseless accusation, and striking inability to recognize the invalidity of your own presumptions, for evidence of anything except your own
state of mind, is what earned you the label you don't like.
My definition of fundamentalist differs from yours I think, but we’ll never know since you have never told me what your definition really is.

Let’s retrace this dialogue to see who is saying what:
Time: 05-24-08, 03:20 AM

PS: Isnt it funny how Atheists that attack Islam always defend Christianity... Hehe...
Time: 05-24-08, 05:01 AM

... "fundies feeling especially picked on as believers in xyz religion"
Time: 05-24-08, 05:06 AM

...please, try to take off those shades of hate and look at things objectively.
05-24-08, 06:18 AM

...serious delusion...fundies...fundies claiming atheists are attacking Christianity while defending Islam.
Time: 05-26-08, 05:28 AM

...can you tell me your objective reasoning behind your conclusion that I am seriously deluded? Surely, you must have taken some factors into account and at least investigated whether my accusation could have any inkling of truth in it?

...One of the popular quotes on FFI is that “When Christians don’t follow the Bible, they do evil things. When Muslims follow the Quran, they do evil things.”

...And then there’s Mr. Wilders, who wants to block or ban anything related to Islam yet happily proclaims that Dutch law should be a Leitkultur of Christian and Jewish teachings.

...my definition of a fundamentalist differs from yours
Time: 05-26-08, 06:07 AM

We were talking about atheists, and you were talking about all of them
Check the first quote up top and see where you go wrong here.
So bringing in statements by Christians defending their faith, and maybe an individual atheist or two out of context, is irrelevance.
FFI.com is an Atheist run website... Although, like you, I cannot tell the difference :) See what I mean?
...fundies...
... "fundie"...
If you are flattered, so much the better. That increases my confidence in the accuracy of the subjective judgment.
Disregarding that my definition differs from yours...
...overlook such suggestive circumstances as Christian fundies making the mirror claim about atheists cutting Islam slack,
Where you have failed to provide any evidence for...
Time: 05-26-08, 06:19 AM

I dont interpret attacks on Islam as defense of Christianity.
Time: 05-26-08, 08:21 AM

You were talking about the atheist posters on this forum "always" defending Christianity
Once again, read the very top quote to see where you are wrong.
I see no evidence that it does, in its essentials. You take pride in it, I wouldn't, is all.
Remember this; here you say that my definition of a fundamentalist doesn’t differ from yours.
What claims, aside from the ones backed up in the past couple of posts ?
Backed up? Where?
... fundie delusions...
Time: 05-30-08, 05:16 AM

The classic mistake you keep making here regarding my posts is that you seem to think that I see anyone who makes a negative post about Islam as a hater and a pro-Christianity atheist. This is not true. I have tried to explain you what kind of hate I meant, yet you don’t seem too keen on accepting or even entertaining that explanation with regard to my post, which, once again, goes to show that you are indeed not willing to entertain any ideas that might conflict with your view on where I stand. Let’s not forget, it was you who called me a fundie first, not me saying that you wear shades of hate. Not to mention ascribing to me a particularly nasty symptom of that mental illness called schizophrenia....

I never restricted my argument to this forum only. This may be news to you but the vast majority of Atheists do not frequent these boards. My inclusion of other sites and people who have never even visited this board should have alerted you to this, alas, it wasn’t meant to be.
My definition of a fundamentalist vastly differs from that. I consider myself a fundamentalist in that I try my best to follow Islamic teaching. Teaching which gives me room and encourages me to get education, help others and worship among others. I don’t believe that Islam promotes ignorance but rather intellectualism. I don’t believe it brainwashes people as there is no compulsion in religion. People can accept it of their own free will. So yes, my definition probably differs from yours, especially in its essentials.
So here is my definition of fundamentalism. According to you, it doesn’t differ from yours. So that should be good for a one cookie. Here you go. Oh wait, it does differ? Too bad you didn’t tell me your definition. *Munches on cookie*
You have said that Christians accuse you of the same thing regarding Islam. I asked for a link or maybe you can tell me where I can look for something like that.
First of all, you can find the quote on FFI, generally bandied around there.
Then there’s Hirsi Ali whose anti-Islamist comments are generally accompanied by Pro Christian and Jewish comments. You find those on the web as well. Or you can check out her Wikipedia page.
Although Irshad Manji does consider herself to be a Muslim, she has nothing but contempt for anything Islamic or Arabic and nothing but praise for anything Jewish. Any good thing the Arabs have done according to her was passed down to them by the Jews and any bad thing the Arabs have done they are the only ones to blame. ...very similar to Aesop’s Fable.
Time: 05-30-08, 08:19 AM

I have been assuming......I will continue to assume...
You make a lot of assumptions like that. That's a fundie trait...fundie trait... fundies... characteristic fundie error...Fundies

:rolleyes:

Time: 05-30-08, 01:47 PM
Didnt you see that I included in my 2nd post the names of atheists and atheist sites that have nothing to do with this board? Dont you see it was you who assigned a negative connotation with my post first? You still have not explained to me what you take as the definition for a fundie. You still have not acknowledged that the atheists I provided you with indeed do make anti-Islamists and pro-Christian comments, thereby showing their double standards or maybe more....
Time: 06-01-08, 06:19 AM
True, I won't bother.
This kind of evasion is typical of fundies...typical of fundies[/b]. I point to it as another example in support of my labeling of your postings here.
Very Interesting isn’t it? How many times have you called me fundie and ascribed to be symptoms of schizophrenia and how many times have I said you are wearing shades of hate? Who has provided links and names of and to prominent Atheists who let themselves out over Islam? Who has done the same to back up his claims about Christians? This is all I’m going to say about this. That is, unless you go out there and check the evidence I have given and provide me with evidence of your claims.
Peace? the Arab expansion lasted from 632 to 711, conquered most of Middle East, all of N Africa, Spain, Portugal, Persia.
Peace, but it was on their terms. so sure, its nice to be a conquering army, convert your former enemies, then go a-conquering, again, native people became "arabized" or "marginalized" as dhimmis because of Islam, the sword was the caliphs friend, "Peace"?, is that what you mean by "peace" when you say "Salaam alakim" or "pbuh"?
Oh dear, it seems we have someone here who has missed the start of this thread. I advise you not to go down that road. Michael tried it, until I showed him that the very Wiki pages he was using acknowledged that there is no record whatsoever of any of his, and probably your, assumptions about the conquest of North Africa. Anyway, during this “expansion”, no one was forcibly converted and the sword was not the Khalifa’s best friend. The expansion of the Muslim state did not go hand in hand with the spread of Islam.

Furthermore, you should really stop reading about dhimmis from the likes of Gisèle Littman and actually ask a Muslim about what it means, since Muslims themselves are dhimmis as well.
personal belief is not proof, why would a carpenter go to India, not enough wood-carvers there? Jesus mission did not start until he was 30 years old, the Bible only says that He went to Bethlehem, Jerusalem, Egypt, Nazareth when He was a kid.
My opinion was stated after having read the various sources I talked about in that post, about the presence of Jesus in India and becoming the Metteya to the Buddhists as was predicted in the teachings of Buddhism and is recorded in their own history. If you just want to stick to the Bible, go ahead.
force of arms let to Islam in Arabia, read more history, after Mohamed's death, they tried leaving, read about the Ridda Wars, I did. Peace, I like that word
First of all, the vast majority of Muslim converts ehh... converted during the time the Treaty of Hudaibiyah was in effect, which was peace time, when there was no fighting. People accepted Islam because they were convinced by it, its teachings and its beauty.

Secondly, I very much doubt you know what the word Ridda actually means. It is an intransitive verb and the root of it, rail, has no transitive form whatsoever. To keep it short, because you are probably not that well versed in Arabic: a person can recant, but no one else can make him recant. Let me give another example: you can execute or murder someone but you cannot suicide someone. They do that themselves. This is what separates Irtadda from the concept of apostasy as you probably know it from the medieval Christian theology and or maybe from that idiot Maududi. There is no support in the Quran whatsoever for killing someone who leaves Islam.

Now to move on to the so called “Ridda wars”. These were a series of conflicts directly after the Prophets death where some tribes rebelled against the newly elected successor to the Prophet, not on religious terms, but purely on political terms. Thinking that the Muslims were in disarray after the death of the Prophet, some tribes even attacked the Muslims out of the blue to take whatever they could from the Muslims. The vast majority of tribes rebelled, I’ll say it once again, not because of any religious conviction but purely because of political differences. And that major political difference they disagreed on was tax. So delegations were sent to tribes to reconcilliate the severed political ties and even the tribes themselves said they did not want to sever the religious ties, just the political ones.

I hope you have read what Wellhausen said about these so called “wars”:
The sudden death of Mahomet gave new support to the centrifugal tendencies. The character of the whole movement, as it forces itself on the notice of the historian, was of course hidden from contemporaries. Arabia would have sunk into particularism if the necessity caused by the secession of Al-Riddah had not developed in the State of Medina an energy which carried all before it. The fight against the Ridda was not a fight against apostates, the objection was not to Islam, per se, but to the tribute which had to be paid to Medina; the fight was for political supremacy over Arabia.
Or Bernard Lewis:
The refusal of the tribes to recognize the succession of Abu Bakr was, in effect, not a relapse by converted Muslims to their previous paganism, but the simple and automatic termination of a political contract by the death of one of the parties. The tribes nearest to Medina had in fact been converted and their interests were so closely identified with those of the umma that their separate history has not been recorded. For the rest, the death of Muhammad automatically severed their bonds with Medina, and the parties resumed their liberty of action. They felt in no way bound by the election of Abu Bakr in which they had taken no part, and at once suspended both tribute and treaty relations. In order to re-establish the hegemony of Medina, Abu Bakr had to make new treaties.
Or maybe you can check that trusty friend of yours again, Wikipedia:
a set of military campaigns against the rebellion of several Arabic tribes against the Caliph Abu Bakr during 632 and 633 AD, following the death of Muhammad. The revolts, in Islamic Historiography later interpreted as religious, were in reality mainly political.
You understand now where you are wrong? The “Ridda wars” had nothing to do with any Islamic teaching nor with the spread of Islam, they were a simple contractual disagreement about tax which lead to rebellion from tribes.
"vile"? why "vile"?, is it because they have US help that they are "vile"? would Saddam Hussein be better? or Ahmadejinad? or who would be better & why? because they are like any other royal family, England didn't do better
The House of Saud are incredibly vile people and one of the main reasons for instability in that region. Their unIslamic dictatorship and the way they gained that power, accompanied by their disgusting habits makes them vile. Saddam Hussein was much better than them. Maybe you haven’t heard, but Iraq was a pretty safe place with him, very liberal too and terrorists didn’t dare to set foot in it. Ahmadinejad is an extremely misunderstood man in the West, mainly due to the on purpose and continued mistranslations attributed to him. He is way better than the House of Saud will ever be because he seems like a man who will not lie and stand by his word and his continued denouncement of any nuclear weapon as completely unIslamic is one of the most positive stances by a leader of any country regarding nuclear weapons or any WMDs.
why are "Muslim" holy lands "defiled" by non-Muslims presence, yet Muslims are all over Israel & West Bank? it wasn't a problem for Arab & Turk armies, why the difference? should we have let Kuwait under Saddam, is the Middle East defiled because we protect Saudi Arabia from Iraq or Iran?
I’m talking about military bases on Muslim Holy Land. Not about non-Muslims just living there. You know what, you come back to me when you find an Iraqi or Iranian or Pakistani military base in the Vatican or next to the White House, whose soldiers have free reign to execute operations in that country.
Saddam wanted to end the whole Kuwait situation through dialogue, not war, but his words were thrown to the wind because the military needed another outing. After Iraq was destroyed and loads of people killed, the Western powers suddenly wanted a dialogue with him to resolve the situation.

Not to forget the chemical weapons given to Saddam to attack Iran and the Iranians pointed that out with horrific pictures of the victims of those weapons. The same weapons for which the US now claims to have killed him, while showing the same pictures that the Iranians were showing when the US was supplying him with the weapons. The difference is, this time the pictures are shown to you, but when the Iranians were dying, you probably didn’t even know about them.
I am still not sure what exactly is the core novel enlightening message in Islam? This should be a no brainier.
First you ask for a concept that’s unique to Islam. I explain to you the concept of Universality in Islam and its uniqueness. Then you ask for what the central message in Islam is, I tell you what it means. Now you are asking the same thing over and over again. Read what I wrote previously. It seems everyone besides you has grasped it.

As for the plagiarism part, it’s funny to see an atheist use an argument concocted by the likes of Pfander to attack Islam in India and convert them to Christianity. It is a ridiculous and baseless argument. You have never provided me with any information about how and where the Prophet of Islam could have gained such an insightful knowledge about the Books he supposedly plagiarized. There is only a vague mention him meeting Christians, and that is a brief and casual meeting in Syria iirc. A meeting that was too short for him to even talk about the events in such detail. Let me put this another way: I have been living in predominantly Christian countries for the better part of 15 years. Yet I still don’t know the names of every Christian Prophet, nor do I know every story in the Bible. Nor do I know all the history about the country I am living in. But yet your theory expects me to have impeccable knowledge of all this. This is me living here for the better part of 15 years. And I know people who are born here that do not know all this stuff. Or you can apply this theory to anyone going to any region in the world. If I went to India for a day, would I be able to completely plagiarize their religion? The Prophet went to Syria with a trade caravan and there is a vague mention of a small, brief and casual meeting with Christians before he returned. And the argument put forward is that because he talked with them about religion, he copied Islam from the Bible and called it the Quran and called the religion Islam. I challenge you to apply that argument to anywhere in the world and instantly you will see the hollowness of it and ridicule it yourself.

And don’t forget that the Prophet could not read or write. So you are saying that a man, who cannot read or write, who goes to another country as part of his work and is focused on his work and has a small, brief and casual meeting with some Christians with whom he talks about religion, he suddenly knows the Bible inside out. That is a completely ridiculous argument. In that small time how can he know the entire history of Christianity and all their Prophets and what was wrong here and what was wrong there so that it could be omitted from his version? How could he have grasped the messages and concepts in such depth?

The funny thing is that for 14 years into his prophethood, he never once mentioned Christianity and or Judaism. Furthermore, if he had copied it from the Bible or Torah, the Jews at Medina would have immediately called him on it and said that he was plagiarising. They didn’t. Neither did any Christian in that time. Even his own followers would have mocked him and left Islam if they thought he had copied it from another religion. They didn’t.

All these facts of history reject this hollow argument which is without any substance. It is simply impossible for someone to have come in brief, casual contact with people from another religion to suddenly grasp every concept of that religion to the depth displayed by the Prophet, or to know the history, order and stories of all the Prophets of that religion. But the most remarkable thing would have to be when that person suddenly starts correcting the other belief. The Quran throws out all the hocus pocus from those stories and teachings and provides a view based on reason and science. Let me explain: you can speak about the scientific subjects of today if you are well versed in them. But you cannot speak about the scientific subjects of 100s of years in the future. So how came it that while the Bible miserably failed to predict the correct state of nature and the natural laws and started speaking of those myths that were current among the illiterate people back when it was written, the Quran avoids reference to any such hocus pocus narrations and added knowledge of which the Bible had no knowledge whatsoever.

Furthermore the Quran carried these subjects to our time and beyond. And all these have so far proven to be correct. Did he copy that from the Bible or Torah? Why and how did he suddenly start rectifying the stories about the Prophets in the Bible, who were accused of all kinds of vile deeds that if you accepted them as having done those deeds, they were not worthy of being called holy men, let alone Prophets? The Quran rectified all these stories about them while the Bible didn’t and the Quran also added things here and there which were borne out to the true by future investigations of man. How could an illiterate person who had a brief, casual contact with another religious person do this? For example, the Bible nowhere mentions a dialogue between the Pharaoh and God while he was drowning. No remote mention. Now why is this? Because the Israelites when they migrated from Egypt and the analysts who kept the record of the Bible, did not know what happened behind them. But this is mentioned in the Quran. The Bible fails there. They did not write it down because they weren’t there and didn’t know about it.

This is an interesting event because when the Pharaoh was drowning, he said something along the lines “Now I believe in the God of Moses and Aaron” and God’s reply was along the lines of “Now? This is no time for saving your soul. So we will accept your prayer and since you are only interested in material wealth we will preserve your material body for future time to draw lessons from it.” The Quran mentions this. And in the time of the Prophet, there was absolutely no knowledge that the bodies of the Egyptians were being preserved and mummified and kept in the pyramids. It was much later, more than a 1000 years later that the world would know what the pyramids contained and it was the Christians themselves who were to unearth the body of the Pharaoh mentioned in the Quran and turn his body into a lesson for everyone to see, just like it’s mentioned in the Quran. The Bible hasn’t the remotest mention of this.

So how did an illiterate man who came in brief, casual contact with other religions people copy this from their religion? Where is it mentioned in the Bible? Or the Apocrypha or whatever? This allegation that he copied it from the Christians or Jews has no substance whatsoever. It is just another false argument concocted by Christians to convert Muslims to Christianity in India during the time of colonialism. If it’s not, provide proof. Or tell me where I’m wrong. This isn’t comparable with you and the knowledge you already possess. This isn’t about you having read Einstein’s works. Why didn’t anyone back then raise this allegation? Surely, someone must have seen the plagiarism going on here? Where did he learn the Bible? Where did he learn the Torah? Interestingly, the Aborigines have the concept of a supreme Creator. So when the Quran mentions a supreme Creator, does it plagiarise from the aborigines? What utter crap.

But let’s just look a bit more closely to the comparison you have given about the E=MC2 and the Qurans novel and enlightening message. You say that simply stating E=MC2 doesn’t make you intelligent or a mathematician or physicist. You’re right, it doesn’t. And let me tell you the reason you keep bringing this up whenever talking about the message of the Quran: you have completely failed to grasp the concept of Universality as it is taught in the Quran. It looks like it’s just a concept too far for you to understand. Have you ever taken Literature, Sociology or Psychology at any level? Please share with us any result you may have achieved there as this may indicate to some degree your capability of understanding the message of any literature, let alone the Quran. Now let me tell you exactly why taking the comparison you have brought up. You said that Einstein came up with that equation first and therefore it is new and novel and ascribed to him. According to your favourite pages of knowledge:
While Einstein was the first to have correctly deduced the mass–energy equivalence formula, he was not the first to have related energy with mass
Interesting, let’s dig around a bit more. It turns out that Einstein published his paper regarding this in what has now become known as the Annus Mirabilis papers. Let’s look at what your favourite site says:
A fourth paper, "Does the Inertia of a Body Depend Upon Its Energy Content?", was published on September 27 in Annalen der Physik, in which Einstein developed an argument for one of the most famous equations in the field of physics: E = mc². Einstein considered the equivalency equation to be of paramount importance because it showed that a massive particle possesses an energy, the "rest energy", distinct from its classical kinetic and potential energies.

The paper is based on James Clerk Maxwell's and Heinrich Rudolf Hertz's investigations
So Einstein wasn’t the first to relate energy with mass? Interesting. And his world famous equation which you have tried to use in an utterly crap argument, and failed btw, was based on the investigations of people that went before him. The likes of Newton, J. J. Thomson, Oliver Heaviside, George Frederick Charles Searle, Wilhelm Wien, Max Abraham, Hendrik Lorentz, James Clerk Maxwell, Adolfo Bartoli, Henri Poincaré and Friedrich Hasenöhrl all went before him in this particular field. So, going by your stubborn and completely false argument which you apply to the Quran, Einstein plagiarized from these people. The mere mention of the relating between mass and energy and or Mass-Energy Equivalence is proof of plagiarism! Right? That is what you were saying about the Quran right? Oh, what’s that you say? His equation was different than the others? Well, by your thinking that doesn’t matter because it concerns Mass-Energy equivalence and therefore it is plagiarism of the hard work, blood, sweat and tears of all these other wonderful people and that mean old Einstein stole it! Back in the real world, thats not how it works, does it? In the same way, Universality, as explained in the Quran, is completely different, unique, novel and enlightening. No other religion has it. Being able to leave ones religion or follow another religion is not what I mean with Universality, being able to do that is a given. If it isn’t then the religion is not universal.
I’m not disputing your interpretation, what I am saying is: what is novel about Islam’s concept of Universality? We agree that the concept of ‘Universality’ already existed pre-Islam. Buddhism for example has a Universal message. Xiantiy has a Universal message. Greeks had a universal message. What I want to know what is new about Islam’s concept of Universality.
Which has been answered, and quit extensively I may add, in this thread. Just go back and read what was said. The concept of Universality as it is in Islam is completely unique and novel and nowhere else to be found. Not in Buddhism, Christianity or any fictional Greek you want to throw at me.
Could you explain exactly what is meant by “People of the Book”? You write that Muslims misinterpret “People of the Book” to mean Abrahamic based religions. OK, fair enough, but how are “People of the Book” different from “People not of the Book”? Where Arabic polytheists “People of the Book”?
I didn’t say that Muslims misinterpret the meaning of Ahle Kitab. I said that people who aren’t Muslims, like you, usually misunderstand this because of their lack of knowledge about Islamic theology, since the vast majority of literature, and believe me, it is vast, is in Arabic and not English.
Also, I find it a little off that Allah would delineate People of the Book from People not of the Book, IF, everyone is people of the book and if people from all over the world are inspired by a real prophet. Why even make the distinction? It seems to me that maybe you are just being an Islamic apologist.
The debate about Ahle Kitab requires you to have some knowledge about the Arabic language, mainly about what Ahle Kitab means and what Sabhyeen means. These are 2 terms which go together and any failure to grasp what they mean will result in the block you are experiencing now. Furthermore, it requires you to have an understanding about the various classes of Prophets, more specifically regarding the classes of Law Bearing and non-Law Bearing, as they are advocated in Islamic theology.
Lastly, I’d say it’s splitting hairs to suggest your religion is “Universal” when you say you accept the validity of all other religions. Because, in reality you are not different from the Xian. In the end you just say these other people's religious messages was not eternal. This is just another way of saying it’s now wrong. In the end, you and the Xian end up at the same place. Maybe you take a different route, but the designation is the same. My religion and religious book is now correct and yours is not “completely” (as as) correct as mine.
Let’s check a list here:

Do I accept Jesus as a real Prophet of God? Check

Do I accept Moses as a real Prophet of God? Check

Do I accept Buddha as a real Prophet of God? Check

Do I accept Krishna as a real Prophet of God? Check

Do I accept Zoroaster as a real Prophet of God? Check

Do I accept Confucius as a real Prophet of God? Check

Do I accept numerous other Prophets worldwide as real Prophets of God? Check

Do I believe that the Books and teachings by these Prophets are of Divine Origin? Check

Do I.... Well you probably get the idea now, hopefully. And so I can go on and on and keep checking the list. Can a Christian do this? Can a Buddhist do this? Can any other religion claim this? No. Because of their belief they have to denounce the Prophet of Islam for example as false and an impostor and or they are completely silent on the subject. But a Muslim talks about these Prophets with veneration and love because that’s the only option available to him. It is a fundamental article of faith, namely the belief in Prophets and the belief in the Holy Books, to accept their truth and honour. With the establishment of these various Prophets the time had come for the Prophet mentioned in their books. In the Torah, the Bible, the Books of the Hindus and their songs. And when you claim that your Prophet is universal it is only logical that you accept the claim of other prophets as true and of divine origin.
That is unless you are saying all religious belief is equally valid? Is that what you are saying? If so then I think that this should be the definition of Islamic Universality. I will then agree that this is a novel enlightening message.
Religions and Prophets were from Divine Origin is what I’m saying. The novel and enlightening concepts and message of Islam will not alter itself to fit your agenda. I have told you what it is. I have explained how it is unique and novel. You either accept that explanation from a Muslim or you reject it, either way, it’s not really my problem. My duty is just to tell you what it is.
This is not true. Xiantiy is a religion for anyone who accepts Jesus as the Messiah. Anyone in the world. Actually, before the Roman’s banned conversion a lot of people converted to Judaism. 1 in 10! People still do. If you want to become a Jew you can. Lastly, Buddhism is also open to anyone to join that belief.
That may be what the Christians are claiming nowadays to convert people, but let’s just take a look at the Bible. First of all, the God of the Bible is not God as you and I know; rather it is the God of Israel, hence dispelling any thoughts about Jesus’ message being Universal. It is very ethnic. The Bible continuously confirms this:
And David said to Abigail: "Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, who sent thee this day to meet me! (1 Samuel 25 : 32)
And also thus said the king, `Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, who hath given one to sit on my throne this day, mine eyes even seeing it.' (1 Kings 1 : 48 )
Blessed be the LORD God of Israel for ever and ever! And all the people said, "Amen," and praised the LORD.( (1 Chronicles 16 : 36)
And he said, "Blessed be the LORD God of Israel, who hathwith His hands fulfilled that which He spoke with His mouth to my ather David.( II Chronicles 6 : 4)
Blessed be the LORD God, the God of Israel, who alone doeth wondrous things. (Psalms 72 : 18)]
And so there are more. Now let’s move onto what Jesus himself said:
And behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same region and cried unto Him, saying, "Have mercy on me, O Lord, Thou Son of David! My daughter is grievously vexed with a devil."
But He answered her not a word. And His disciples came and besought Him, saying, "Send her away, for she crieth after us."
But He answered and said, "I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel."
Then she came and worshiped Him, saying, "Lord help me."
But He answered and said, "It is not meet to take children's bread and cast it to dogs."( Matthew 1 5 : 21-26)
Prior to that he said:
Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.(Matthew 7 : 6)
And so there are more. You can claim all you want that Christianity is for everyone who accepts Jesus as his or her saviour, but even that is denied by the Bible itself. So the Bible and its teachings do not support what you have said about Christianity. But don’t worry; it’s not just you who fails to see this.

Now let’s take a look at the concept of forgiveness you keep bringing up regarding Christianity. The major inherent flaw regarding the concept of sin and atonement in Christianity is that Jesus himself was born of a human mother, who was carrying with her the sin of Eve (Her being a woman and all). So Jesus was born as a sinner if we follow the rules of the Bible. Furthermore, if Jesus was born around the year 0, what happened to the progeny of Adam, scattered all over the globe, who had no chance to even be saved by Jesus?

Another flaw is the way Jesus behaved in the Bible prior to the crucifixion. Iirc the crucifixion is meant to be the moment when Jesus, willingly sacrificed himself to take the sin of everyone that accepted him. So surely when this joyous occasion came, a once in a lifetime opportunity, to help the people that believed in him, he should have been looking forward to it. But what do we find? A weeping Jesus, crying and praying to God to take away this cup of death from him. What’s this then?! Jesus didn’t want to take this burden, to sacrifice himself for the people he so loved? That’s not what we are told by Christians! Let’s look at what the Bible says about Jesus leading up to this momentous and joyous occasion in Christian history, when sin carried so long by mankind was finally banished from this world:
Then cometh Jesus with them unto a place called Gethsemane, and saith unto the disciples, Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.

And he took with him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and began to be sorrowful and very heavy.

Then saith he unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death: tarry ye here, and watch with me.

And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

And he cometh unto the disciples, and findeth them asleep, and saith unto Peter, What, could ye not watch with me one hour?

Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.

He went away again the second time, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.

And he came and found them asleep again: for their eyes were heavy.

And he left them, and went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words. (Matthew 26:36-44)
Now, why is this passage important? The reason is that according to the Bible:
But the prophet, which shall presume to speak a word in my name, which I have not commanded him to speak, or that shall speak in the name of other gods, even that prophet shall die. (Deuteronomy 18:20
And if a man have committed a sin worthy of death, and he be to be put to death, and thou hang him on a tree:

His body shall not remain all night upon the tree, but thou shalt in any wise bury him that day; (for he that is hanged is accursed of God;) that thy land be not defiled, which the LORD thy God giveth thee for an inheritance.(Deuteronomy 21:22-23
Anyone who was crucified as Jesus was is according to the law he himself followed and taught a cursed one. That is the reason for his prayers in Gethsemane. He knew that his enemies would see this as a sign of him being an impostor and a cursed one. And this is also the reason that his last cry was:
Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachtani?
Why did his God forsake him? It is clear he wasn’t willing to go through with all of this. Can a person who doesn’t want to be sacrificed be sacrificed and then that sacrifice still attributed to that person as a voluntary act to save people if they believe in him? No. The Bible itself doesn’t allow for any of this. The concept of sin and atonement in the Bible is inherently flawed. Ya, you can say “Christianity has forgiveness, an important psychological factor...” For whom? The criminal? And why isn’t that supported in the Bible itself? But of course, we will never see you question this...
This is that designation I was talking about two quotes up.
Does the following sentence make sense to you:
I think Mohammad was fully of bunk, he was not a real prophet, he made it all up, his followers are following a book of lies, but, I respect him and his followers and their religion.
I don’t know Arsalan, seems oxymoronic if you ask me.
Maybe you shouldn’t have bunked Sociology. Maybe then, just maybe, you would have understood the difference between a religion and the various denominations and or sects it is made up of. The core message of Mormonism revolves around Jesus and his message. Islam does not deny that, rather it accepts it. After all, there are around 73 sects in Islam; is every sect or school of thought a different religion? No. You need to understand this.

Furthermore, why do you continue to bring up the Bahais? Do you have some Bahai friends? If so can you ask them the question I asked in my previous post? The reason is that the Bahais are an interesting sect, yet at the same time extremely frustrating. Let me tell you what I mean. Some time ago we were invited to their temple in Chicago for some major event. We assumed it would be packed with Bahais since it is “the fastest growing religion” as they claim. So the temple filled up and when we asked the Bahais whether all these people were Bahais, their answer was yes. So we asked the people that were there and only around 20 people in that temple during that time, a major Bahai event in the US, were Bahai. The rest? Tourists, visitors, people who had read the ads and seen a building and wanted to take pics and some tours.

And every time we put the question to the Bahais where we can find a large majority of Bahais, they always seem to point to the other side of the world. We asked them there, they said someplace else. We went to that place and asked them there, they said the Fiji Islands. It was at that time that our suspicions began to be aroused. There is nowhere on this world where you can find a reasonable group belonging to the “fastest growing religion”. They always point to someplace else. Walk down the streets in any major world city, you’ll find Muslims and Christians. But Bahais? Nope. I’ve never seen one in my time in London. There are very serious questions to be asked of the Bahais.

Interestingly, there was a show on TV some time ago, dedicated to the Bahais. There was a segment where they were showing some Bahais going door to door. So they come to this house and tell the people about their religion. The people seem interested in some more info. Now here’s the fun part: they ask them to sign a form and that’s it. Those people are now counted as Bahais. No explanation of any of their theology, no concepts, no message, no nothing. Just: “are you interested? Here sign this and become one of us!” No wonder they call themselves “the fastest growing religion”. If that isn’t suspicious then the very fact that they refused to make their Holy Book public should be enough evidence for anyone to say “Something’s wrong here”. It is only very recently that they have started making it public. Our community got a copy of their Holy Book back when, way before they made it public. It is still there in our library. That version and the version they are now making public are totally different.

From my own experience, asking 2 Bahais what their religion is will result in 4 different answers over an extremely long period of time and sometimes no answer at all. Ask them to send you any books, no answer. I find that suspicious. And the reason they are not accepted among Muslims is the insistence of Bahaullah that he is God. That is the reason they are no longer viewed by Shias as Shias, even though that’s where they started: the Bab to the Mahdi in Shia theology.

Furthermore, how can such a small group fund such extensive PR campaigns, build such expensive Temples all over the world, when, in relative comparison, the major religions can’t? So yeah, there are serious questions to be asked of the Bahais, but I suspect it won’t be you asking them.
Greeks were influenced by Buddhism and Greeks influenced Judaism. The connection is obvious to see. The existence of Jesus is mute. Greeks were influenced by Indians and Greeks Hellenized the Jews and Greeks founded Xianity. Again, the connection is plain to see.
Nope. Greco-Buddhism had nothing to do with Judaism or that area. It was established in the regions of India. But that is moving away from the point that Jesus is mentioned in the history books of the Buddhists, coming to them as their Metteya, long after Buddha died. That is the point.
This is a good point. We need to move away from saying Muslim or Islamic terrorist and say Spanish criminal or Spanish mass murderer.
Oh, so somehow being Spanish has something to do with being a terrorist? How did him being Spanish influence his decision to commit an act of terrorism? Is it because the minds of Spanish people work differently than normal people which led him to commit this act of terrorism? Do you even see the complete futility of the argument you are trying to make?

The fact of the matter is that it was the Islamic Golden Age, a term, btw, used by Western academics to describe that period, not the Muslims themselves. These people and their intelligence, God given intelligence, was nurtured through the message of the Quran which encouraged Muslims to gain knowledge from anywhere possible, to study the laws of nature, to observe and by doing so see the intricate beauty that was created and appreciate it. But I don’t expect you to understand this. After all, you are the product of a way of thinking which sees religion and science as two completely opposite entities and conflicting where a clear demarcation is required. You see science as reason and religion as abdication of reason. I don’t. I see religion and science as two things that go hand in hand. The Quran continuously exhorts people to study, study and study. To gain knowledge. To apply reason to Quranic teachings. Furthermore, the various scientific knowledge stated in the Quran has been accepted as being true by science itself. It was under the influence of this teaching that a people who had 40 year old family vendettas concerning a camel, turned their attention towards studying nature and its laws and it marked the beginning of probably the most dynamic scientific movement in history, which has no equal in Christian history or Buddhist history for that matter. It produced the greatest minds in their respective fields, all of whom attributed their findings to the teachings of the Quran. And who would I rather believe: you, who has a proven track record of anti-Islamism and general anti-religiosity, or the likes of Al-Jabir, Ibn-Hayyan, Al-Jahiz, Al-Damiri, Ibn-Musa Al Khwarizmi, Abu Kamil, Razi, Masudi, Al-Beruni, Ibn-Sena, Omar Khyyam, Al-Kindi, Ibn-Rushed, Yahya Ibn-Mansur, Ibn- Al-Haitham, Al-Farisi, Abul Wafa, Al-Beruni, Sharafu-Din at - Tusi, Al-Farghani, Al-Battani, and Ulugh Beg about their endeavours? When Einstein came up with that equation, was it an anti-scientist with no knowledge regarding the concept and content of that equation who we believed about what the equation actually was or did we let Einstein explain how he came to that equation? And who would we believe? By your reasoning, not Einstein. But hey, let’s see what Western academics and writers have to say:

‘What we call science arose as a result of new methods of experiment, observation and measurement, which were introduced in Europe by the Arabs … This modern science is the most momentous contribution of the Islamic civilization’.

(p. 232) (Robert Briffault, Europa: The Days of Ignorance)

‘The main, as well the least obvious, achievement of the Middle Age was the
creation of the experimental spirit, and this is primarily due to Muslims.’

(p. 675) (George Sartan, Introduction to the History of Science)

‘At its peak about one thousand years ago, the Muslim world made a
remarkable contribution to science, notably, mathematics and medicine.

… A spirit of freedom allowed Jews, Christians and Muslims to work side by
side. Today all this is but a memory.’

(Francis Ghiles, Nature, March 24, 1983)

“so long as the Q u r’anic and the prophetic tradition of religious liberty
and tolerance prevails, science in Islam will flourish, for the two are closely linked, so far as our faith is concerned.”

[Dr. Abdus Salam , Renaissance of Sciences in Islamic Countries, p.179].

That last quote is by Dr. Abdus Salam. He was a devout Muslim and is credited together with his colleagues with one of the most profound contributions to 20th century science. And who did he attribute this to? The Quran. When he was awarded the Nobel Prize, he read from the Quran to the gathered assembly. So who do we believe: him, a Nobel Prize winner, or you, regarding his endeavours?
The Qur’an specifies the Scientific Method? Really? Wow, could you post the verse please?
Why are you asking me? Couldn’t you just check your favourite site? Let me quote some stuff from there:
Ibn al-Haytham was a devout Muslim...

Due to his formulation of a modern quantitative, empirical and experimental approach to physics and science, he is considered the pioneer of the modern scientific method and the originator of experimental science and experimental physics, and some have described him as the "first scientist" for these reasons.

Rosanna Gorini notes that "according to the majority of the historians al-Haytham was the pioneer of the modern scientific method." Ibn al-Haytham developed rigorous experimental methods of controlled scientific testing in order to verify theoretical hypotheses and substantiate inductive conjectures. Ibn al-Haytham's scientific method was very similar to the modern scientific method and consisted of the following procedures:

1. Observation

2. Statement of problem

3. Formulation of hypothesis

4. Testing of hypothesis using experimentation

5. Analysis of experimental results

6. Interpretation of data and formulation of conclusion

7. Publication of findings

An aspect associated with Ibn al-Haytham's optical research is related to systemic and methodological reliance on experimentation (i'tibar) and controlled testing in his scientific inquiries. Moreover, his experimental directives rested on combining classical physics ('ilm tabi'i) with mathematics (ta'alim; geometry in particular) in terms of devising the rudiments of what may be designated as a hypothetico-deductive procedure in scientific research. This mathematical-physical approach to experimental science supported most of his propositions in Kitab al-Manazir (The Optics; De aspectibus or Perspectivae) and gorunded his theories of vision, light and colour, as well as his research in catoptrics and dioptrics. His legacy was further advanced through the 'reforming' of his Optics by Kamal al-Din al-Farisi (d. ca. 1320) in the latter's Kitab Tanqih al-Manazir (The Revision of [Ibn al-Haytham's] Optics).

Ibn al-Haytham attributed his experimental scientific method and scientific skepticism to his Islamic faith. The Qur'an, for example, placed a strong emphasis on empiricism. He also believed that human beings are inherently flawed and that only God is perfect. He reasoned that to discover the truth about nature, it is necessary to eliminate human opinion and error, and allow the universe to speak for itself.[39] He wrote in his Doubts Concerning Ptolemy:

Therefore, the seeker after the truth is not one who studies the writings of the ancients and, following his natural disposition, puts his trust in them, but rather the one who suspects his faith in them and questions what he gathers from them, the one who submits to argument and demonstration, and not to the sayings of a human being whose nature is fraught with all kinds of imperfection and deficiency. Thus the duty of the man who investigates the writings of scientists, if learning the truth is his goal, is to make himself an enemy of all that he reads, and, applying his mind to the core and margins of its content, attack it from every side. He should also suspect himself as he performs his critical examination of it, so that he may avoid falling into either prejudice or leniency.

In The Winding Motion, Ibn al-Haytham further wrote that faith should only apply to prophets of Islam and not to any other authorities, in the following comparison between the Islamic prophetic tradition and the demonstrative sciences:

From the statements made by the noble Shaykh, it is clear that he believes in Ptolemy's words in everything he says, without relying on a demonstration or calling on a proof, but by pure imitation (taqlid); that is how experts in the prophetic tradition have faith in Prophets, may the blessing of God be upon them. But it is not the way that mathematicians have faith in specialists in the demonstrative sciences

Ibn al-Haytham described his search for truth and knowledge as a way of leading him closer to God:

I constantly sought knowledge and truth, and it became my belief that for gaining access to the effulgence and closeness to God, there is no better way than that of searching for truth and knowledge.
Apparently he also:
Influenced: Khayyam, al-Khazini, Sharaf al-Dīn al-Tūsī, Urdi, Tusi, Qutb al-Din al-Shirazi, Farisi, Ibn al-Shatir, Roger Bacon, Peckham, Witelo, Gersonides, Alfonso, da Vinci, Cardano, Francis Bacon, Fermat, Kepler, Willebrord Snellius, Descartes, Christiaan Huygens, James Gregory, Guillaume de l'Hôpital, Isaac Barrow, John Wallis, Isaac Newton, Saccheri
Not a bad list. Some of the verses that are given on that regarding his scepticism and the scientific method are listed there as well. One goes as follows on that page:
“You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them.”
Interesting.
An Egyptian medical textbook, the Edwin Smith papyrus, (circa 1600 BC), applies the basic components of scientific method: examination, diagnosis, treatment and prognosis, to the treatment of disease.
This is much like the argument you presented with Einstein’s equation. Any competent medical treatment in any age would have required a medical practitioner seeing what is wrong first, hence examination. Then any competent medical practitioner would think about what to do and execute any treatment required, hence diagnosis and treatment. Saying that the modern scientific method was not invented by Ibn al-Haytham is therefore false. Or maybe you would like his scientific method to call upon magic to cure patients as well?
Arsalan, please do not tell me the Qur'an also invented zero. Anything but that one!
I don’t have to. It is common knowledge among academics that the use of the digit zero as we know it now is due to the Muslims as is its commonality.
I'm not sure what that repeated question is, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen anything resembling an answer.
That is not the way to go about an argument. This goes to show that you are not really interested in the debate; rather, you are so focused on trying to attack me that you will take any shot you can take, even if it means shooting yourself in the foot.
Arsalan isn't SAM and Arsalan hasn't gotten to that stage yet.
What stage exactly?
I also question Arsalan's notion that Islam accepts all religions while also suggesting that they are "dated" - how is this different than saying they are wrong? It really isn't it is it.
It’s not me saying that, I’m merely pointing to what the books themselves are saying. Is it a crime to point out that the Holy Books of other religions acknowledge themselves that they are not eternal, neither Universal, but rather, ethnic? It really isn’t is it?
Lastly, I find it curious that you once said that the polytheists were wrong in their belief while Arsalan here says their belief is acceptable - as a matter of fact they are still practicing polytheism in Mecca to this day and Muslims are perfectly accepting and fine with this - because "Islamic Universality" is a central tenant of Islam.
I didn’t say anywhere that there are polytheists in Mecca. I challenge you to find that post. I said, yes, there are still polytheists in some Muslim countries. Heck, there are even cults that worship the devil and call the Prophet all kinds of names! Polytheism is interesting though. We saw from the example set by the Jews during the time Moses was absent, that when religious teachings are neglected and become corrupted, people start worshipping stuff. So the Jews worshipped a golden calf. But when Moses came back, they all went back to normal after some time. In my opinion, the same thing happened with polytheism in Arabia prior to Islam. The Kaaba was built by Abraham for the One God. But, after he passed on, that teaching became lost and corrupted and eventually instead of worshipping 1 God, the Kaaba was soon filled with over 300. So yes, in my opinion, polytheism can result from corruption and or neglect of religious teachings. There is also the option that people that taught people, Prophets, became so revered that after they died, people started worshipping them. We see it all the time around the world nowadays. It is in human nature to worship. So we see people who have idols, who worship their favourite actor, footballer or even scientist.

And regarding the whole Hirsi Ali issue: she is an opportunisitic, lying politician. But we know that some people on here wont call her to acocunt for that. But God forbid if any Muslim politician had lied in the same way... Who thinks any of these people would still support him like this? Hehe, hypocrisy is rife! Smells great doesnt it!

Marvelous post Arsalan. I really should read more deeply into some of this stuff. Have you considered writing a book?

Boy if you're lazy, I'm comatose. I could never have the patience to put that much stuff together.

Could you recommend some good books on the history that you covered?

Ill check some titles later on. For now, its getting late ;) Ive been up for almost 24 hours! :eek: Damn you broken alarm clock! :mad: But i am srsly lazy. I havent attended even 1 lecture all this year. Heres hoping and praying that I passed my exams lol

Ty. Sry for the late reply though, Euro 2008 has been superb! :cool:

Feel sorry for Turkey

Yeah, but third place isn't bad for such a depleted roster. We're lookin' better every year. Whoops! This isn't the thread for soccer. :eek:

Tnx. Nah I couldnt write a book, im too lazy lol :p

Man, you just wrote like three formal essays! Of course you have the patience to write a book. I have sufficient confidence in your knowledge, although you'd have to send me a premature copy of your book for proofreading. I'll take care of all those petty technicalities and whatnot.

Heh. All the best, if you wrote a tenth as well as you wrote here, you'll pass.

Interpretation does not predate conception.

It predates the next round of conception.

"I cannot explain everything (especially as I ignore the evidence). Ergo, there must be some power called God."

It predates the next round of conception.

"I cannot explain everything (especially as I ignore the evidence). Ergo, there must be some power called God."

Still confusing no with I don't know.

I'm beginning to see why there have been so many futile arguments

As the Quran says:

“You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them.”

Well, you used the Flat Earth argument as your basis. Not my fault if it doesn't bode well for the remainder of the discussion.

Yeah I did. The flat earth is what the caveman saw. To him, his lack of knowledge and tools, not to mention understanding, a round earth was equal to God.

Yeah but you can't argue back to the caveman now, saying he's still right because he didn't know any better. He obviously wasn't. I'm not being hard on cavemen here, I'm just saying that we know better now. Otherwise, we're the cavemen and the argument from ignorance doesn't work. It has to be an eternal ignorance or it just won't fly, eventually.

Back