On the grounds of what are Christians so sure they will go to heaven?

Religion and religious experiences are subjective because their scriptures are made to be subjective - open to interpretation. There is no truths to be found other than your own truths. One of the few things that could be objective within the various beliefs is the agreement to not treat each other negatively based on the religious differences and individual "experiences". For something to act as evidence or to be a truth, it first must be widely accessible so that it can be tested. Religious experiences, though, are not widely accessible, and so they cannot be tested; they therefore cannot count as evidence for religious belief and thus, going back to my previous statement, there are no truths to be found other than your own. Religious experiences are merely mental events, and there is therefore no logical problem with our having these experiences without the world being as they represent it to be.
M*W: Interesting ideas. I haven't thought of it in that way.

You are right. He was not the High Priest. I stand corrected.

Your entire post was in error, what I zeroed in on the other day was just the tip of the iceberg.

...But He was a Pharisee and a ruler of the Jews. He was one of the religious elites...

But??? I think I said as much in my quote. You're stating the obvious.

He was not just a lowly ranked rabbi in the hierarchy of the Jewish religious Authorities.

Nothing in my post suggests or implies this, in fact precisely the opposite. Evidently, you read other texts as carelessly as you do Holy Writ. You want to speak on behalf of God to others or witness to Him?! ... well, be sure what you communicate to them is what He actually says. Otherwise, you'll find yourself in hotter water than they are.

"Let these false prophets tell their dreams, but let my true messengers faithfully proclaim my every word. There is a difference between straw and grain!"

MZ3Boy84,

Religion and religious experiences are subjective because their scriptures are made to be subjective - open to interpretation.

They are both objective and subjective.
Religion requires work, hence rules and regulations. From this work there are objective advantages which form the basis of religious experience.
The scriptures aren't subjective, although the ultimate aim arguably is.
They provide knowledge of how to live a peaceful and healthy life.and how to realise what is considered subjective.

An instructional book on how to become happy, is subjective, until the practioner acts according to the instruction, then it is objective, even before
the results become apparent.

There is no truths to be found other than your own truths.

Do you believe that to be true?
If it's true for you, why isn't true for others?

One of the few things that could be objective within the various beliefs is the agreement to not treat each other negatively based on the religious differences and individual "experiences".

Those religions are operating under the system of human kind.
Like alot of the old colonies, they have become independant of God.
Which is why some aspects of the same religion differ

For something to act as evidence or to be a truth, it first must be widely accessible so that it can be tested.

That makes no sense.

Religious experiences, though, are not widely accessible, and so they cannot be tested; they therefore cannot count as evidence for religious belief

Why would you need evidence for "religious belief?
How could testing conclude that A is correct, and B isn't, without being subjective?

jan.

Back