On the circularity of faith

cole grey said:
A - No immortal species has ever been and seen nobody can say for certain what things would be like if one popped up

B - however, based on how reality works,
some very realistic predictions can be made.

I don't follow that. Statement A seems to be a pretty strong indicator that any predictions would be based on arbitrary descriptions of how those unseen immortals would function.
Whatever.

It's all about knowns:

* Reality works in a life-death cycle (animals, stars, planets, the fabric of
reality itself, ...)
* Humans only did not die prior to the apple bite.
* Humans were mandated to procreate prior to the applie bite.
* Humans were encouraged to eat.
* Two things changed after the apple bite:
- Humans were granted knowledge.
- Humans would die.

That's a lot of great information to make reasonable predictions with. If
Gensis said once there were people and then the changed... that would
be generic and predictions would be arbitrary.

MarcAC said:

And I couldn't have put it better myself. My response (which probably seemed
absolutely crazy) was a result of myself assigning different meaning and
sequence to your original response. Put simply, I chose to interpret your
message differently. This is what's happening with Genesis, different
interpretations are chosen in an effort to resolve contradiction.

This is actually a good strategy to keep a religion adaptable and the bible has
enough generalizations to make it possible.

Crunchy Cat said:
And I couldn't have put it better myself. My response (which probably seemed
absolutely crazy) was a result of myself assigning different meaning and
sequence to your original response.
Remember we're talking science; how'd you interpret it to arrive at that conclusion (can't see it)?

I'll provide an example with the following statement:

"The dog ate my homework"

If I assign alternative meanings to the following words:

The = All
Dog = Cats
Ate = have
My = 9
Homework = Lives

Then the meaning becomes completely different. Interpretation can be used
to do this with sequence, context, relationship... anything.

I still can't apply it to my post (not brainy enough). An explanation of how you interpreted my post such that I can "repeat the experiment"(? ;)) would be enough thanks.

You're more than brainy enough. Here is the original statement:

"I'm with Cole Grey and Jenyar."

Here are some assignments:

Cole Gray = Cris
Jenyar = against Jesus

It's that easy.

crunchy sez - That's a lot of great information to make reasonable predictions with.

Not really.
That is like saying, we would have the same situation if we ate oxygen. Immortality and mortality are that different.
We can't get a reasonable enough prediction to show that immortality wouldn't work.
Also, there is a common idea in christianity, that it was also the creation that was changed, not just humanity.

EDIT -
Cole Gray = Cris
Jenyar = against Jesus

WOW.

Cole grey=blue
Jenyar=river
Let's swim.

Makes as much sense.

cole grey said:
crunchy sez - That's a lot of great information to make reasonable predictions with.

Not really.
That is like saying, we would have the same situation if we ate oxygen. Immortality and mortality are that different.
We can't get a reasonable enough prediction to show that immortality wouldn't work.
Also, there is a common idea in christianity, that it was also the creation that was changed, not just humanity.

I disagree. People have made some great predictions with the smallest
amount of data.

cole grey said:
EDIT -
Cole Gray = Cris
Jenyar = against Jesus

WOW.

Cole grey=blue
Jenyar=river
Let's swim.

Makes as much sense.

That's the point. Interpretation can change the meaning of anything.

CC - "...the smallest
amount of data."

That is right.

P.S. "meaning" is a funny word. The word is almost a Godelian proof of incompleteness, just in itself - as in, "this word cannot be expressed within this system."

Crunchy Cat,

I define 'God' as a man-made fantasy.

then you will never find Him. And you are the one who is responsible.

It neither pleases nor displeases me.

Like, yeah.

Sure. And who is in the position of making such truth statements?

Not who, what. Reality asserts nothing but truth. Our interpretation can
get us closer or farther from it.

How do you know how close to the truth an interpretation is?

To know how close or how far an interpretation is from the truth, you have to know the truth as well.

In the forest, you see only trees, but you don't see the forest.

Then you do have a definition of 'God' that you're holding out on.

I'm not holding out. All this time, I have been working on showing what God is not.
Had I, in advance, set a definition, my search would have ended there.

Unconditional trust in 'God' (i.e. faith) is not circular.

Do you know the usual argument for the circularity of faith in God?
The simplified version goes something like:

Why do you believe in God?
-- Because I know, the Bible tells me so.
Why do you believe in the Bible?
-- God confirmed it.

Otherwise, in the linked thread (in the opening post), Wes Morris and SouthStar made more examples.

More ex. positivo deinition there. You're definately holding out.

I am telling you that an ex positivo definition would be a reductionism, and thus, miss God.

But what for? Why those enhancements and improvements?

Edison, Tesla and co. struggled ... so that now, we can watch ... reality TV?
Well, this is some shitty distribution of values.

To enable people to be all they can be? To promote survial? To learn and explore?

To what avail?
If there is no meaning to life, then there is no justification for doing anything, and we are just wasting time.

Think about what brings moments of pleasure in your life and work your way ouy from there.

Straight to the dentist!
Chocolate gives caries. Brushing doesn't help as much as it is supposed to, because the problem is in the contents of blood and saliva.

See one of my recent posts in this thread about contradictions of 'God's actions and intentions in Xian Genesis.

This has been worked on in the meantime.
I'll just say this: If all you are willing to take into account is one particular Bible translation, and if you refuse any historic, linguistic etc. considerations, then, surely, the Bible is full of nonsense.

Then one could eventually insist that the Bible is pagan, since, for example, Jesus was crucified on a Friday, and "Friday" means 'Frija's day'. Frija was Wotan's wife -- and we're wading in Germanic mythology here!
And then one can come up with the bright explanation that Christianity is merely a spin-off of pagan mythology and that Jesus was crucified on Frija's day because Wotan was mightily angry at his wife, but since he couldn't destroy all earth to punish her, he killed just a few people, in front of her, including Jesus, and he did it on Frija's day because he found out she betrayed him. Maybe even with Jesus.

How's that?

It seems you don't understand the ex negativo approach.

The statement implied that applying ex. negativo to *nothing* is going to
lead to *nothing*.

No. It is nothing for you just because you've defined it to be nothing.

For you, the ex negativo approach doesn't work because you have already made up your mind -- that God is a fantasy.

I start from "God exists" an then find out what He is like. For I am sure that I have plenty of preconceptions that may not have anything to do with God, I take the ex negativo approach, and check those preconceptions. If I see them to be bound to a misunderstadning, I discard them and declare to not be of God.

For example, on what basis can one say that God is whimsical and eager to punish? I can show that this particular conception is based on my personal negative experience with Christians, who were using God and the Bible to reject me. But I saw that they were inconsistent in their claims (if they are to love everyone, then why don't they?), and that made me doubt what I have learned about God from these people.

It is only now though, that I am beginning to realize how wide and deep this issue is, how multilayered. And that resolving it cannot be planned and neatly modelled.
Either way, the resolving has proven to be very rewarding.

(Q),

Perhaps we shouldn't discuss science as it does not appear to be something you're familiar with.

Relativity can be directly logically derived from Newtonian postulates? Really?

Crunchy Cat,

Live - Energy sustaining chemical execution.
Die - Lack of energy to sustain chemical execution.

This is way too inexact. "Chemical execution" takes very well place after death as well, or we'd never become worm food.

Looks like the reaction is trying to point out a contradiction. Let me clarify. I like fanatsy entertainment (books, RPGs, movies, thought, etc.). I don't like to eat fantasy food.

Noone was offering you fantasy food. You were telling on someone, so I offered you a payment. Don't you Americans do that?

That's the power of interpretation. Any word can be assigned any meaning.
Any sequence can be interpreted in any sequence.

This is the absurdest thing I have ever heard. And you dare speak about truth, truthfullness and being close to the truth?

So, you're in complete agreement with Cris and against Jesus then?

What is this?! Is your mind dissolving or something?

§outh§tar,

If you look at (some) religious/spiritual people, you'll see that the essence of their spiritual convictions is not in the words or the particular rituals they perform.

What do you "see" in these people which leads you to conclude that the "essence of their spiritual convictions" is not external? Do you know?

As observation of different cultures shows, being spiritual is not limited only to one particular form of practice.

For example, people pray while kneeling, being prostrated on the ground, standing, sitting, walking; alone, in groups; in churches, their own private rooms, in the field; ... different positions of the body, different circumstances. They all pray, but from what we can observe, they look different from one another. There is no universal position for prayer that could be externally identified.
Just by looking at someone, you cannot know whether they pray or not. Only the person himself can tell you.

This leads me to hypothesize that essence of their spiritual convictions is not external.
But I think you actually had the social conditioning and such in mind.

One-way induction (the usual scientific approach) is based on working with reductionisms. Reductionisms as such are never acceptable; arguing for or against reductionisms is ultimately nothing but arguing strawmen. Hence I reject this method of reasoning.

As you remembered a while back, I argued that every axiom (and hence all logic) is self serving.

Yes.

So I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by maintaining that reductionistms are never acceptable.

Oh. Cherries.

Science cannot but work with reductionisms. But since it works with reductionism, it is always int he process of resolving them (by using other reductionisms). And this is how science is staying in business ...

And this is probably the hardest point for me to bring across.

To address preconceptions, another set of preconceptions has to be used. But if this other set is such that it effectively annulls the first set, then we can get to being rid of preconceptions!

We are still stuck with the new set of preconceptions. But for your case, what would these be? That there must be no preconceptions?

No no no. We aren't stuck with a new set of preconceptions. We only know that preconceptions are preconceptions. This can be very relieving. The realization that something is, regardless of us and our understanding of it.
(I hate to sound esoteric, but these words are the only ones I have at the moment.)

Are you ,or anyone else on this planet, aware of a person raised outside of human company who became religious of their own accord?

What does it mean to be religious? To go to church and to pray on your knees with hands clasped? To say certain words?

Again, are you aware of any creature raised outside of human society who, with insight, discovered that "God exists and acts"?

Not to make an argument from ignorance, but I do find it possible that even those outside of human society have a knowledge of God. It is just that they cannot communicate it in a manner *we* would understand.
I think it would be premature to claim they have no knowledge of God -- we have no way of proving that, and as empiricists, we must allow for that possibility.

You seem to be insisting that man discovers God for himself over my society discovers God for man. All I need to do is point to the absence of God outside of human society and the variableness of God within different cultures, environments.

How can you prove that outside of human society, there is no God? What kind of an empiricist are you?!
As for the variableness of God within different cultures: It is not necessarily God that is variable, but their interpretations.

It is interesting that you should find your own descriptions of what is and is not reasonable. The question is, how has insight (as you have described it) helped anyone find out about God?

Think: Is everything you have ever heard or read about God, true for God? Can that be?

You could never relate to Mowgli anyway.

He was happy without God and man. That's something to strive for.

He was certainly happy as he did not have a plethora of interpretations to pick from.
As for being happy without man: If all man is to you is danger, if you are threatened by the mere existence of another -- what does this say about your identity?

They have reviewed all the major arguments for the existence of God (the verifiable ones) and found them to be without merit. Such as Biblical tales of miracles and also miracles which happen in the hospital and in nature. (I use 'miracles' loosely). Scientists find no ties between these happenings and the claims made in connection to them, such as 'my Christian God made this happen'. Claimants are also unable to justify their claims.

Uh. The problem begins at God's characteristics. "Creator" is English through Latin, and implies 'making something out of nothing'. The German word used here is "Schöpfer", which literally means 'he who scoops out something out of something else'. The original Hebrew word means something along the lines of 'protector, the way a hen collects her chicken under her wings'.

So. Which is it? Which language to take?

Unless you first devise a biblical theology that is the same regardless of language, the Bible is not advisable to use just like that.

What is needed is a logico-philosophical tractate after the Bible, a text in non-metaphorical language that retains its meaning regardless of language, a text that is translatable 1:1.
I am sure this can be done.

Maybe they can say 'my God was responsible' and leave it at that cop-out. But they say, 'my Jesus was responsible'. And I see this and I know in my heart that they only say this because of circumstance, because they happen to be Christians, and not because they know Jesus was responsible. And I see too that the feral child does not bleet in unison with them.

That depends on what or whom you mean by "Jesus".

More like "pause" thinking individually. In this context, we may more accurately describe it to mean "stop thinking for yourself and partake rather in groupthink". Not like 'you' were thinking for yourself beforehand anyway.

Yeah, I understand you and I sympathize.

I'm dreadfully depressing.

Like, cheer up, no?

If it can be shown that feral children do not react to all other beings the same way, ie. that they shun ones but are attracted to others, then this is, for me, enough proof that they can distinguish between good and evil.

How can it be shown? Any examples? This ought to be good.

If they react to seeing a pack of bananas differently than to seeing a tiger, and of they are consistent in this, you can be sure that they distinguish between beings. Some are good for them, and some are not.
Or, translated into our speech, "Some are good for us, some are evil for us."

I am not sure of any point in time during which society has not mystified evil or murkied it to be the sum of all fears.

This is worth a thread.

cole grey,

The problem with this statement is that the person in question must have their innermost feelings re-explained and translated for them, if WE are to know anything about those feelings/ideas. So, while you are probably right that nobody spontaneously fits into a religion, complete with agreements in terminology, this proves nothing about the feral child. Perhaps the child thought lightning was God. Or only that it was the voice of God. Or that the lightning was LIKE the voice of God. We won't know that the child's ideology wasn't corrupted by us turning them into a bleating follower of society.

EDIT - why is this child's possible unformed feeling about an "other" being any less meaningful than a religious master-teacher's idea about a God they think is beyond human understanding? The teacher would probably say that it was just as meaningful.

P.S. don't pretend the sheep are just in church, they are also at the basketball game wearing the same shoes as their favorite players.

Beautifully put.
What would I do without you?

Crunchy Cat,

The one thing I love about your 'why' post is that you're asking. In Genesis,
man was 'immortalized'... and nothing else. Put an 'undying' and 'multiplying'
factor into a balanced ecosystem of life and death and there's a big problem.
No immortal species has ever been and seen nobody can say for certain what
things would be like if one popped up; however, based on how reality works,
some very realistic predictions can be made.

How we understand reality works has a lot to do with mortality, in one form or another. We tend to see balance when something is taken away, but something else added.
Who knows how Paradise was -- whether it was a balanced ecosystem of life and death as we know them.

Consider that pre-Fall earth was not finite, for example. But that finiteness came with the fall -- death, separation came with the fall. Maybe pre-Fall, life was infinite.

This is what I love about you SouthStar. Put some data out there and you
start connecting the dots and finding truth.

And you know what aboslute truth is, right?

Crunchy Cat,

That's the point. Interpretation can change the meaning of anything.

This, coming from a consequent realist and atomist?!

But such are the quagmires those who cling on to realism and atomism of meaning easily fall into.

It's absurd, what you are suggesting.

From my perspective of a constructivist and holist, an interpretation is always based on what is said, and is always within the scope of the meaning of a word/text. But because the scope may be wide, more interpretations are possible. But all interpretations are bound to the scope of the meaning of the word/text.

We can, by analyzing a particular interpretation, see the motivations for that particular interpretation: it is possible to explain why only a particular part of the meaning's scope was chosen.

Someone prone to self-victimization, for example, will interpret certain biblical passages as condemning him, victimizing him. They will see God as a wrathful being, and Matt. 12:30 as a declaration of injustice.
Someone prone to vanity will interpret those same passages completely in his favour, as an "God is with me, and now I can go against everyone else, and He will smite them with His wrath for my sake!"
Etc.

If I assign alternative meanings to the following words:

The = All
Dog = Cats
Ate = have
My = 9
Homework = Lives

Then the meaning becomes completely different. Interpretation can be used
to do this with sequence, context, relationship... anything.

What you have there is NOT interpretation. You have only demonstrated syntactical functions in a sentence, and how a certain syntactical builtup of a sentence is common to more than one sentence.

The = All -- attribute ___ \
Dog = Cats -- noun _____/ .... sentence subject

Ate = have -- verb ... sentence predicate

My = 9 -- attribute ________\
Homework = Lives -- noun __/ ... sentence object

Take a course in linguistics first.

Relativity can be directly logically derived from Newtonian postulates? Really?

Which Newtonian and relativistic postulates do you refer? Lets' get that straight.

cole grey said:
CC - "...the smallest
amount of data."

That is right.

There's that interpretation again. Thanks for proving my point in 2 threads
now.

cole grey said:
P.S. "meaning" is a funny word. The word is almost a Godelian proof of incompleteness, just in itself - as in, "this word cannot be expressed within this system."

Not only can it be expressed, it can be explicitly defined. 'Meaning' is the
relationship between two or more variables.

water said:
Crunchy Cat,
then you will never find Him. And you are the one who is responsible.

Reality shares my definition as well. Regardless, it is NOT my responsibility
to prove someone elses claim. That IS the claimer's responsibility.

water said:
Like, yeah.

Like, valley girls on Frrhhoonce?

water said:
How do you know how close to the truth an interpretation is?

To know how close or how far an interpretation is from the truth, you have to know the truth as well.

Reality is the #1 indicator for this. Hypothesize, experiemnt, and observe.

water said:
I'm not holding out. All this time, I have been working on showing what God is not.
Had I, in advance, set a definition, my search would have ended there.

Why not post what you have so far and we can avoid the cliche forrest-tree
anaologies?

water said:
Do you know the usual argument for the circularity of faith in God?
The simplified version goes something like:

Why do you believe in God?
-- Because I know, the Bible tells me so.
Why do you believe in the Bible?
-- God confirmed it.

I've seen that one and the argument is incorrect. Religious 'belief' is acceptance without consideration of evidence. If 'God' confirms anything
then evidence is provided and the argument is not circular and 'belief' is
no longer a 'belief'.

This thread was started with the statement:

"Many of you here are well-acquainted with the argument that faith in God is circular and self-referential."

'Faith' and 'Belief' are not the same thing; hence, neither are arguments.

water said:
I am telling you that an ex positivo definition would be a reductionism, and thus, miss God.

There would have to be evidence of the existence of 'God' for this statment
to be true; however, I am willing to put this to the side and see what the
current ex negativo definition is.

water said:
To what avail?
If there is no meaning to life, then there is no justification for doing anything, and we are just wasting time.

Have you ever been happy?
Do you like feeling happy?
If the answer to both of these questions is 'yes' then you have won a
a hawwian trip, a washing machine, and a reason for doing something!

water said:
Straight to the dentist!
Chocolate gives caries. Brushing doesn't help as much as it is supposed to, because the problem is in the contents of blood and saliva.

heh. would it be safe to say chocolate gives you moments of pleasure?

water said:
This has been worked on in the meantime.
I'll just say this: If all you are willing to take into account is one particular Bible translation, and if you refuse any historic, linguistic etc. considerations, then, surely, the Bible is full of nonsense.

Then one could eventually insist that the Bible is pagan, since, for example, Jesus was crucified on a Friday, and "Friday" means 'Frija's day'. Frija was Wotan's wife -- and we're wading in Germanic mythology here!
And then one can come up with the bright explanation that Christianity is merely a spin-off of pagan mythology and that Jesus was crucified on Frija's day because Wotan was mightily angry at his wife, but since he couldn't destroy all earth to punish her, he killed just a few people, in front of her, including Jesus, and he did it on Frija's day because he found out she betrayed him. Maybe even with Jesus.

How's that?

Entertaining... and historical, linguistic, palentological, etc. evidence does
nothing to promote the assertions in the Genesis snippets in that thread.

water said:
No. It is nothing for you just because you've defined it to be nothing.

For you, the ex negativo approach doesn't work because you have already made up your mind -- that God is a fantasy.

I start from "God exists" an then find out what He is like. For I am sure that I have plenty of preconceptions that may not have anything to do with God, I take the ex negativo approach, and check those preconceptions. If I see them to be bound to a misunderstadning, I discard them and declare to not be of God.

For example, on what basis can one say that God is whimsical and eager to punish? I can show that this particular conception is based on my personal negative experience with Christians, who were using God and the Bible to reject me. But I saw that they were inconsistent in their claims (if they are to love everyone, then why don't they?), and that made me doubt what I have learned about God from these people.

It is only now though, that I am beginning to realize how wide and deep this issue is, how multilayered. And that resolving it cannot be planned and neatly modelled.
Either way, the resolving has proven to be very rewarding.

Show us what you got! Show me the money!!!

water said:
Crunchy Cat,
This is way too inexact. "Chemical execution" takes very well place after death as well, or we'd never become worm food.

Good point. The problem is corrected if we limit the definition to the life form
that lost chemical execution to sustain itself.

water said:
Noone was offering you fantasy food. You were telling on someone, so I offered you a payment. Don't you Americans do that?

I'm gonna tell, I'm gonna tell, I'm gonna hollar and I'm gonna yell! Get you
in trouble for everything you do, cause I'm gonna tell on you! and you! and
you! That 'event' was for the benefit of someone else. Our correspondence
was something else... comedy really.

water said:
This is the absurdest thing I have ever heard. And you dare speak about truth, truthfullness and being close to the truth?

Oh I'm sure the bible can top that... and I dare.

water said:
What is this?! Is your mind dissolving or something?

Read further into that discussion in the thread. It was a tactic
to demonstrate a point.

water said:
Crunchy Cat,

How we understand reality works has a lot to do with mortality, in one form or another. We tend to see balance when something is taken away, but something else added.
Who knows how Paradise was -- whether it was a balanced ecosystem of life and death as we know them.

Consider that pre-Fall earth was not finite, for example. But that finiteness came with the fall -- death, separation came with the fall. Maybe pre-Fall, life was infinite.

There is no evidence to suggest that the rules of reality have changed
since the planet existed. There is evidence of life-death cycles long
before earth could sustain human life.

water said:
And you know what aboslute truth is, right?

You really want me to say yes. Reality knows what absolute truth is and
can act as a guide to show us how close we are to it.

water said:
Crunchy Cat,

This, coming from a consequent realist and atomist?!

That's the risk of labeling...

water said:
But such are the quagmires those who cling on to realism and atomism of meaning easily fall into.

It's absurd, what you are suggesting.

And it's also true. Ever say something to a person and they completely
mis-understood? It's the same phenomonea.

water said:
From my perspective of a constructivist and holist, an interpretation is always based on what is said, and is always within the scope of the meaning of a word/text. But because the scope may be wide, more interpretations are possible. But all interpretations are bound to the scope of the meaning of the word/text.

Take the 10th generation of interpretation over several generations of time
and then apply the same philosophy. Everything can drastically change.

water said:
We can, by analyzing a particular interpretation, see the motivations for that particular interpretation: it is possible to explain why only a particular part of the meaning's scope was chosen.

Yes yes yes! And for a religion to survive it has to adapt to contradiction.

water said:
Someone prone to self-victimization, for example, will interpret certain biblical passages as condemning him, victimizing him. They will see God as a wrathful being, and Matt. 12:30 as a declaration of injustice.
Someone prone to vanity will interpret those same passages completely in his favour, as an "God is with me, and now I can go against everyone else, and He will smite them with His wrath for my sake!"
Etc.

Yep.

water said:
What you have there is NOT interpretation. You have only demonstrated syntactical functions in a sentence, and how a certain syntactical builtup of a sentence is common to more than one sentence.

The = All -- attribute ___ \
Dog = Cats -- noun _____/ .... sentence subject

Ate = have -- verb ... sentence predicate

My = 9 -- attribute ________\
Homework = Lives -- noun __/ ... sentence object

Take a course in linguistics first.

Once information enters the interpretation filter, substitution of anything can
occur. It doesn't matter if it's grammatically or linguistically correct.

Crunchy Cat said:
'Meaning' is the
relationship between two or more variables.

The only relationship you demonstrate in your empty isomorphism is... none.
This makes sense because you later describe your process -

crunchy cat said:
Once information enters the interpretation filter, substitution of anything can occur. It doesn't matter if it's grammatically or linguistically correct.

However, your little "proof" (excuse my laughter), has only linguistic relationships between the variables. There is no meaningful relationship, other than, crunchy cat picks a word, basically, at random.

Then you ascribe that same weak tactic of interpretation to actual scholars who may in fact derive incorrect meaning, but can at least say they have some meaning.

For shame.

cole grey said:
The only relationship you demonstrate in your empty isomorphism is... none.
This makes sense because you later describe your process -

Interpretation again... That statement wasn't a demonstration. It was
a definition.

cole grey said:
However, your little "proof" (excuse my laughter), has only linguistic relationships between the variables. There is no meaningful relationship, other than, crunchy cat picks a word, basically, at random.

Then you ascribe that same weak tactic of interpretation to actual scholars who may in fact derive incorrect meaning, but can at least say they have some meaning.

For shame.

Meaning IS the relationship between variables. The scenario I had presented
was extreme and ludicrous... and that is a great way to get the point across.
If the meaning scholars derive ensures the religion can adapt then they
have done their job. Truth is irrelevant with that kind of intention.

Back