On the circularity of faith

(Q) said:
B is not an explanation - it is an observation.
Actually, the explanation B is the prediction [or I don't know.. explanation (?)] of observation B. Will you review please?
Shall I provide a link explaining the scientific method or can you find it yourself?
How does this comment refute the fact that you don't say you "know" until you see enough evidence? It doesn't does it? :)
Someones knowledge or suspension thereof have nothing to do with the results of an experiment.
Well, it actually does (to be difficult) as they use "existing knowledge" to model the experiment such that their results may be of some degree of measurability and interpretability. I'd advise you to use your links for yourself or work out exactly what you mean when you state "knowledge".
Isn't knowledge that which you've read in the bible?
So to what do you refer when you state "existing knowledge" in science, God's revelation of His Work to the scientist? :)

cole grey said:
#1)God creates man and woman.
God creates man and then woman.
There is no reason to interpret these statements as contradictory. These are two descriptions of the same thing described on specific and non-specific levels.

#2) If we co-operated with each other there is no reason to think we wouldn't have figured that problem out. Perhaps we would all be living in sweet, happy, human-hives that would make urban China look like rural Montana.
You say you don't like fantasies, yet you construct your arguments with them. - EDIT - not dissing all of your arguments with this statement, just this one.
Oops... didn't see this... else I'd've posted a reference(ish) reply.

MarcAC said:
Firstly, when did Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 get so short? :)

Point taken. They were excerpts... not the entire texts :).

MarcAC said:
Please be clear when referencing the sections of the Bible.
MarcAC said:
What actions?
You're using science here - be clear will you?

My bad. Let me revise the original statements:

Assertion: Genesis 1 & 2 are formatted as a timeline of events. 'God' created
man and woman in Genesis (days 1-6) and 'God' created man and woman in
Genesis 2 (after day 6). Genesis 2 referrs to a single man and woman being
created and existing.

Contradiction: Man and woman are documented as being created twice and
referred to as a one time creation.

MarcAC said:
This looks like something Cris would post (take it as you will).

Bastard.

MarcAC said:
What do you understand by "live" and "die" as referenced?

Live - Energy sustaining chemical execution.
Die - Lack of energy to sustain chemical execution.

MarcAC said:
From which section do you infer "unbound procreation" such that you have kids 'til there's not room to perform the initial act (forever)?​

The statement "Be fruitful and multiply" doesn't have an 'until' clause. The
urge to procreate (especially strong for women) would result in over-
population if nobody died.

MarcAC said:
How does "fill" and "subdue" amount to "and stay stuck to until there are so many of you that there's not enough space for even bacteria to flourish" even if you see the opportunity (solar stystem) to fix this?

I don't know... that's not my assertion. I will state that with a 9-month
gestation period, those babies are going to be resulting in exponential
population. While I don't know how many planets in the universe can support
human physiology, I do know that the Universe is of a finite size and if those
planets could be accessed somehow, the overpopulation problem will still
occur.

MarcAC said:
And rather obviously...

How many human immortals can the planet support (of course we must consider earth resources, how long man's been around for, and the knowledge he would gain so as to use them to his advantage)?​

Educate me please...[/color]

Technically, Earths resources wouldn't matter. Several trillion people can be
wallowing without a thing to eat and if they are immortal then it wont affect
their survival (although I am sure it would be slighly gross).

I guess if immportals are packed into every ounce of space until gravity
can't bind them to the planet then a number can be derived. Quality life
at it's best by jimminy.

cole grey said:
#1)God creates man and woman.
God creates man and then woman.
There is no reason to interpret these statements as contradictory. These are two descriptions of the same thing described on specific and non-specific levels.

It's my fault for not being clearer. The event happens twice along a single
timeline and the second event documents only one result instead of two.

cole grey said:
#2) If we co-operated with each other there is no reason to think we wouldn't have figured that problem out. Perhaps we would all be living in sweet, happy, human-hives that would make urban China look like rural Montana.

How do hives solve over-population?

cole grey said:
You say you don't like fantasies, yet you construct your arguments with them. - EDIT - not dissing all of your arguments with this statement, just this one.

Who said I don't like fantasy? I am not constructing any argument really.
I am just pointing out a few flaws in the ol' 'holy' writings.

crunchy cat said:
Who said I don't like fantasy? I am not constructing any argument really.

Water said - Crunchy Cat,
Would you like a cookie now?

CC said -Only if it exists... I'm not too fond of those fantasy cookies.
I was just reacting to this little joke you guys had.

crunchy cat said:
I am just pointing out a few flaws in the ol' 'holy' writings.
A few flaws in your understanding of the holy writings is also a possibility.

I tend to go with the kabbalists on the genesis 1, genesis 2 "contradictions", (since they would seem to be the most studied on the matter of their holy book), and say that they are two different descriptions of the same process.

Also regarding over-population, I don't think we have a legitimate process for analyzing what things would be like if we were immortal. For example would we really HAVE to eat if we couldn't starve to death?
Over-population of immortals would be a completely different scenario than our overpopulation.

cole grey said:
I tend to go with the kabbalists on the genesis 1, genesis 2 "contradictions", (since they would seem to be the most studied on the matter of their holy book), and say that they are two different descriptions of the same process.
That they are. "Genesis 1" actually ends at Gen. 2:3 (witht the completion of the universe and the blessing of day 7). Then Genesis 2, the first of 10 toledoth ("generations"), focuses on the creation of man outside Eden and Eve within Eden. The existence of the garden shows that the rest of creation had already been formed as per Genesis 1. You have to ignore Gen. 2:2 completely if you want to place it all on a single timeline, as Crunchy does.

PS. 98% of the planet is uninhabited. According to National Geographic, all of Earth's metropolitan areas would fit into an area less than the size of Spain. Who is to say mankind would have outgrown the garden of Eden (which was, after all, paradise) if they remained faithful to God? Considering that 75% of the planet is ocean, Revelation 21 says something significant: "Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea". And mankind would have been sustained by the tree of life (Rev. 2:7; 22:2). It's crucial to understand that Adam and Eve weren't immortal by creation, but by divine sustenance.

Last edited:
cole grey said:
I was just reacting to this little joke you guys had.

Looks like the reaction is trying to point out a contradiction. Let me
clarify. I like fanatsy entertainment (books, RPGs, movies, thought, etc.). I
don't like to eat fantasy food.

cole grey said:
A few flaws in your understanding of the holy writings is also a possibility.

That's the power of interpretation. Any word can be assigned any meaning.
Any sequence can be interpreted in any sequence. I can easily turn genesis
into a pulp fiction chronology of the rise of invisible pink unicorns (may their
hooves never be shod).

I choose to use the meaning and sequence provided.

cole grey said:
Also regarding over-population, I don't think we have a legitimate process for analyzing what things would be like if we were immortal. For example would we really HAVE to eat if we couldn't starve to death?
Over-population of immortals would be a completely different scenario than our overpopulation.

Immortal is not immortal if starvation and death is possible... and if it was
then that would compound the problem. While we have never seen an
immportal species, the laws of nature have shown no indication that such
a species could co-exist with a mortal environment. An I agree,
overpopulation of immportals is very different than our overpopulation. I will
assert that it would be a much more severe problem.

Crunchy Cat said:
Contradiction: Man and woman are documented as being created twice and referred to as a one time creation.
I'm with Cole Grey and Jenyar.
Yes, I know.
Live - Energy sustaining chemical execution.
Die - Lack of energy to sustain chemical execution.
Interesting. However, I'm with Jenyar, in a sense, regarding "live" and "die". In The Bible they refer to communion with and separation from God respectively such that to live forever is to be forever in communion with God - i.e. you achieve immortality through divine sustenance.
The statement "Be fruitful and multiply" doesn't have an 'until' clause. The
urge to procreate (especially strong for women) would result in over-
population if nobody died.
... and if nobody thought but we have sentience (by human standards - yeah) and some range of comfort levels. Once the earth is "filled" and "subdued" I think that'd be about it earthwise.
I do know that the Universe is of a finite size and if those
planets could be accessed somehow, the overpopulation problem will still
occur.
Well at least from now on you shouldn't complain about death eh? :)

MarcAC said:
I'm with Cole Grey and Jenyar.

So, you're in complete agreement with Cris and against Jesus then?

MarcAC said:
Interesting. However, I'm with Jenyar, in a sense, regarding "live" and "die". In The Bible they refer to communion with and separation from God respectively such that to live forever is to be forever in communion with God - i.e. you achieve immortality through divine sustenance.

*same response as above*

MarcAC said:
... and if nobody thought but we have sentience (by human standards - yeah) and some range of comfort levels. Once the earth is "filled" and "subdued" I think that'd be about it earthwise.Well at least from now on you shouldn't complain about death eh? :)

We have instinct, emotional need, and an infinite amount of poop,
toe nails, hair, and keratin. Sexual health will be destroyed, emotional need
will get slaughtered (tell every woman no more babies and see what
happens... seriously), and the environment is going to get really gross.

Yeah, death won't be a complaint but life sure as heck will.

CC said:
We have instinct

yeah, like the preservation of life, that is the strongest one...
what?
oh yeah, we don't need to preserve our own lives since we are immortal.
Ok, something else then.

Why must you insist upon this un-natural correlation between the functions of our lives and the functions of immortals, since you have no idea what would be different?
Why?
Why?
And also,
why?

ellion said:

if anyone raised in isolation came into contact with missionaries of whatever religion i see no reason why they would not adopt the practices of their new "community".

That's the point.

Crunchy Cat said:
It's funny that the whole feral children thing came up. Look at this link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/chitribts/20050619/ts_chicagotrib/happyslapyobsbreedfearanger

A woman in Scotland got an ASBO to stop her from answering the front door in her bra and panties.

The problem, according civil libertarians, is that ASBOs allow people to be jailed for activities that are not crimes, such as using foul language or answering the door in one's underwear.

That's an interesting response to free will.

If you look at (some) religious/spiritual people, you'll see that the essence of their spiritual convictions is not in the words or the particular rituals they perform.

What do you "see" in these people which leads you to conclude that the "essence of their spiritual convictions" is not external? Do you know?

----

water said:
§outh§tar,

One-way induction (the usual scientific approach) is based on working with reductionisms. Reductionisms as such are never acceptable; arguing for or against reductionisms is ultimately nothing but arguing strawmen. Hence I reject this method of reasoning.

As you remembered a while back, I argued that every axiom (and hence all logic) is self serving.

So I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish by maintaining that reductionistms are never acceptable.

You Latin on me?

Daabi.

And this is probably the hardest point for me to bring across.

To address preconceptions, another set of preconceptions has to be used. But if this other set is such that it effectively annulls the first set, then we can get to being rid of preconceptions!

We are still stuck with the new set of preconceptions. But for your case, what would these be? That there must be no preconceptions?

Who is to say? Who is to judge?

Are you ,or anyone else on this planet, aware of a person raised outside of human company who became religious of their own accord?

I think aside from arguments from ignorance (which I cannot stand), the silence is enough to compel the jury.

No, and that is the thing. There is no linear logic, no derivation necessary to find God exists and acts. No "If A, then B".
All that is needed is insight. Insight has the form "If A then B, and simultaneously if B, then A".
The drawback is that insight cannot be planned, of course. But it is no less reasonable.

Again, are you aware of any creature raised outside of human society who, with insight, discovered that "God exists and acts"?

You seem to be insisting that man discovers God for himself over my society discovers God for man. All I need to do is point to the absence of God outside of human society and the variableness of God within different cultures, environments. It is interesting that you should find your own descriptions of what is and is not reasonable. The question is, how has insight (as you have described it) helped anyone find out about God?

You could never relate to Mowgli anyway.

He was happy without God and man. That's something to strive for.

So, what does this say about scientists who claim that there is no evidence for God?

They have reviewed all the major arguments for the existence of God (the verifiable ones) and found them to be without merit. Such as Biblical tales of miracles and also miracles which happen in the hospital and in nature. (I use 'miracles' loosely). Scientists find no ties between these happenings and the claims made in connection to them, such as 'my Christian God made this happen'. Claimants are also unable to justify their claims.

Maybe they can say 'my God was responsible' and leave it at that cop-out. But they say, 'my Jesus was responsible'. And I see this and I know in my heart that they only say this because of circumstance, because they happen to be Christians, and not because they know Jesus was responsible. And I see too that the feral child does not bleet in unison with them.

Yes, it tends to turn into banality. "Suspending thoughts" does not mean "to force yourself to stop thinking", even though many times, this is exacty how it is practiced.
Buddha smiles.

More like "pause" thinking individually. In this context, we may more accurately describe it to mean "stop thinking for yourself and partake rather in groupthink". Not like 'you' were thinking for yourself beforehand anyway.

I'm dreadfully depressing.

------

If it can be shown that feral children do not react to all other beings the same way, ie. that they shun ones but are attracted to others, then this is, for me, enough proof that they can distinguish between good and evil.

How can it be shown? Any examples? This ought to be good.

The only problem I see here is that our "modern" society has mystified esp. evil, and thus laden the concept with all sorts of connotations, which are nothing but hot air.
A rabid dog is evil for you, it is dangerous for you, it can harm you. In the same sense, the person pointing a gun at your head is evil. One should shun evil is the basic lesson.
But since the word "evil" has been so mystified, it is almost useless.

I am not sure of any point in time during which society has not mystified evil or murkied it to be the sum of all fears. Fears are useless to the one who fears.

Last edited:
Crunchy Cat said:
It's funny that the whole feral children thing came up. Look at this link:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/chitribts/20050619/ts_chicagotrib/happyslapyobsbreedfearanger

A woman in Scotland got an ASBO to stop her from answering the front door in her bra and panties.

The problem, according civil libertarians, is that ASBOs allow people to be jailed for activities that are not crimes, such as using foul language or answering the door in one's underwear.

That's an interesting introduction to 1984.

southstar asks - "Are you ,or anyone else on this planet, aware of a person raised outside of human company who became religious of their own accord?"

The problem with this statement is that the person in question must have their innermost feelings re-explained and translated for them, if WE are to know anything about those feelings/ideas. So, while you are probably right that nobody spontaneously fits into a religion, complete with agreements in terminology, this proves nothing about the feral child. Perhaps the child thought lightning was God. Or only that it was the voice of God. Or that the lightning was LIKE the voice of God. We won't know that the child's ideology wasn't corrupted by us turning them into a bleating follower of society.

EDIT - why is this child's possible unformed feeling about an "other" being any less meaningful than a religious master-teacher's idea about a God they think is beyond human understanding? The teacher would probably say that it was just as meaningful.

P.S. don't pretend the sheep are just in church, they are also at the basketball game wearing the same shoes as their favorite players.

cole grey said:
yeah, like the preservation of life, that is the strongest one...
what?
oh yeah, we don't need to preserve our own lives since we are immortal.
Ok, something else then.

Why must you insist upon this un-natural correlation between the functions of our lives and the functions of immortals, since you have no idea what would be different?
Why?
Why?
And also,
why?

Preservation of life? I am not sure that's an instinct... immortal or otherwise.
Maybe 'procreate' is the word being sought... and if so 'God' made it quite
clear to "be fruitful and multiply".

The one thing I love about your 'why' post is that you're asking. In Genesis,
man was 'immortalized'... and nothing else. Put an 'undying' and 'multiplying'
factor into a balanced ecosystem of life and death and there's a big problem.
No immortal species has ever been and seen nobody can say for certain what
things would be like if one popped up; however, based on how reality works,
some very realistic predictions can be made.

§outh§tar said:
That's an interesting introduction to 1984.

This is what I love about you SouthStar. Put some data out there and you
start connecting the dots and finding truth.

A - No immortal species has ever been and seen nobody can say for certain what things would be like if one popped up

B - however, based on how reality works,
some very realistic predictions can be made.

I don't follow that. Statement A seems to be a pretty strong indicator that any predictions would be based on arbitrary descriptions of how those unseen immortals would function.
Whatever.

Back