Ok boys and girls...give me an absolute truth.

§outh§tar said:
Since they are invisible how would you know?
Because the definition is self contradictory. It can't be invisible and have color at the same time. Color is merely reflected light at certain wavelengths. If it's invisible it's not reflecting light, and therefore has no color.
And before you answer, remember the arguments of atheists who say God can't be proved.
What are you talking about? I happen to be an atheist.

Alpha said:
Because the definition is self contradictory. It can't be invisible and have color at the same time. Color is merely reflected light at certain wavelengths. If it's invisible it's not reflecting light, and therefore has no color.
What are you talking about? I happen to be an atheist.

Well, you obviously haven't met Katazia..

§outh§tar said:
Not everyone has died.

Correct. People currently alive, such as you and myself, have not died.

However, his comment included "we will all die," which covers that base.

I would hardly call that absolute. I can think of many scenarios where I do not die. They may be extremely remote, but they are there.

Alpha,
Thought: To visualize; imagine

Can you refute that the process of thought occurs? In order to do so, you have to exercise the very thing you are refuting. I stick by my guns.

wouldn't an absolute truth have to be true for any given time? If I say "not everyone is dead", sure that might be true for the moment, but will it be true a moment from now? I dunno. I still think the only absolute truth is that truth is subjective. It will always be that way too. :p

fadingCaptain said:
Can you refute that the process of thought occurs? In order to do so, you have to exercise the very thing you are refuting. I stick by my guns.
I thought that most people who studied philosophy pretty in-depth were aware that Descartes' argument was erroneous and no longer considered relevant. You can only assert that you are thinking by observing a thought as it occurs. I'm sure you can take it from there.

TheERK said:
Correct. People currently alive, such as you and myself, have not died.

However, his comment included "we will all die," which covers that base.

I was referring to Elijah, who was swept up by a flaming chariot into the heavens. He did not die before going to heaven.

§outh§tar said:
I was referring to Elijah, who was swept up by a flaming chariot into the heavens. He did not die before going to heaven.
you quote from the bible, prove it's the truth thank you.
as this is an absolute truth thread.

This SHOULD be really easy to clear up. People are saying, "There is no absolute truth". I would like to aske them, "Are you ABSOULUTLEY sure? Even while you are saying that there is no absolute truth, you are making an absolute truth statement. And it does not work to say that "there is one absolute, and it is this: there are no absolutes" because that statement negates itself. Hope this helps.
-historian2be

Well, you obviously haven't met Katazia..
Huh? Explain.
I still think the only absolute truth is that truth is subjective. It will always be that way too.
Ok, the second sentence is obviously humor, but I'm not sure about the first. Seems obvious to me that subjective truth is not absolute (by definition). Objective truth is absolute.
This SHOULD be really easy to clear up. People are saying, "There is no absolute truth". I would like to aske them, "Are you ABSOULUTLEY sure? Even while you are saying that there is no absolute truth, you are making an absolute truth statement. And it does not work to say that "there is one absolute, and it is this: there are no absolutes" because that statement negates itself. Hope this helps.
*Sigh* I hope it helps too. I would have thought this would be obvious to everyone. :/

DJ Erock said:
By the way, Descartes never proclaimed "I think, therefore I am."
He said "I am; I exist"
No, actually, he said "Cogito ergo sum", which means "I think therefore I am". "Ergo" means "therefore".

Halcyon,
"I thought that most people who studied philosophy pretty in-depth were aware that Descartes' argument was erroneous and no longer considered relevant. You can only assert that you are thinking by observing a thought as it occurs. I'm sure you can take it from there. "

Oh really? Most people who have studied philosophy do not consider Descartes' argument relevant? Are you one of those that has studied philosophy "pretty in-depth"? It doesn't matter because you are confusing Descartes argument with mine. I am not making a contention that I absolutely exist.

Anyway, my point is that "observing a thought" and "thinking" are the same. You do not "observe a thought as it occurs". You have self-reflection. The fact that "thought" is occuring is self-evident and undeniable. The argument itself would not be possible without thought. Take it from there...

@ Alpha

Kat, in another thread, says that if something cannot be detected, it does not exist. (Of course she was saying God cannot be 'detected', which is ultimately false)

In fact, I will state this as an absolute truth to see what the general response is.

If something cannot be detected, it does not exist.

You want an answer to that? How about: Everything exists!
For it does, everything exists somewhere, it may differ in form, but it is there. Even god exists in a way. He is in your mind, but not needfully outside of it. Fairies or dragons also exist, in books, in our fantasy. But you cannot detect them, can you? They are not real, but that does not keep them from existing.

If you think I am wrong, you should better go and define existence.

Back