Ok boys and girls...give me an absolute truth.

About the tree...

Put a tape recorder in the forest. I am fairly confident it will record the sound though you are not there. 99.999...% confident of that :)

Another interesting question, does the light go off when you close the fridge? Does it? does it? And no observing here, answer through other means :D

yes, cause i know how it works, and i can turn the light off when its open :D.
also, i once saw a see-through fridge and it does so THERE. UP YOURS.
hehehehee i proved you wrong.

There should be, because the tree moves the air, thus creating sound.

And Logically, you observed that the light went out, that´s notfair :(

Let's get back on track..

I think, therefore I am.

I don't think, therefore I am... aware!

If the sound is not heard, or observed in some other way, then it cannot be said to have happened. The implication is that there is something very important about observation.

“ Originally Posted by CHRISCUNNINGHAM
I observe you, therefore--and only therefore-- you are. ”

How do u figure? Thats like saying a tree doesnt make a sound unless someone hears it.

A sound is only an air compression wave which hits the eardrum and is then recreated as "pitch" "amplitude" and "tone". So truly until the air compression hits a working eardrum, a sound will NOT be made. Though the potential is there, all that defines a sound is not.

Same goes with existence, until I observe something to be true, there is nothing that precludes it from simply not existing.

In short, you are NOT until the "now" at which you are observed.

just like the planet 70 million light years from our sun. doesn't "exist" yet.

Agreed.. but then you can't say it does exist. The only available solution is "might". It's scary to admit you just don't know, but it's much more honest than using the "faith" word.

Uncertainty and surety are different things.

Example:
There might be a sun in our galaxy.
There is a sun in our galaxy.

Uncertainty and surety are different things.

Example:
There might be a sun in our galaxy.
There is a sun in our galaxy.

Yeah, so... there might be a god, there might not. Hell, there might be a giant fluorescent pink orang utan floating above lake plopadop on planet ooglepoop, or there might not. You can't say "there is.." to either of these because you don't have one remotely worthy piece of evidence to support the claim. Of course though, you have to employ the 'faith' word just on the off chance that there is - so you can end up in a land of gold once you become a rotting corpse. Good on you.

SnakeLord said:
Yeah, so... there might be a god, there might not. Hell, there might be a giant fluorescent pink orang utan floating above lake plopadop on planet ooglepoop, or there might not. You can't say "there is.." to either of these because you don't have one remotely worthy piece of evidence to support the claim. Of course though, you have to employ the 'faith' word just on the off chance that there is - so you can end up in a land of gold once you become a rotting corpse. Good on you.

How can you say "there is" if you don't know?

I would assume, "Either you know or you don't".

Hey that can be one of the absolute truths!

Back