My religious philosophy, based completely on logic:

Vienna

Sorry Q, you're wrong again......The burden of proof rests with those wanting proof.....atheists.

Therefore, if you tell me I have a purple dragon living in my swimming pool, it is up to me to produce the proof to substantiate your claim ?

Bigger difference!

No, massive nonsense.

"Suppose a scientist says that if you drink an untested and probably deadly potion of drugs it will protect you from ever developing cancer. Based on your reasoning the scientist does not have to prove his claim. The result will be that millions of gullible people, those who don’t want proof, will drink the potion and will probably die. Those that do want proof (the more intelligent (atheists in your case)) will be forced to conduct their own research, and will probably not drink the deadly cocktail."
--------------------------------------------------------------------

The thing I love most about debating atheists is that, usually at some point during a debate, the atheist will say something that will make me laugh so hard that tears will fall down my face at least once. After reading this poor analogy, I had to grab a box of tissues. Thanks for the humor.

BTW, before this thread goes any further, can someone, preferably an atheist, please define 'atheism' for us, in your own words?

><>

Please do not try and say theists are the only ones making the claims, you do as wwell for saying "God is made up and a myth"...think it through first CHILD.
I asked you to think it through, but oh your feeble mind couldn't quite do it.

Atheists are not making claims that 'god is a myth'. Atheists are saying evidence for the claim that there is a god is not substantial enough to warrant a belief. Do you think before religion anyone stood up and said "There is no god!". Of course not.

I say that Zeus is in fact the true god. The greeks had it right all along. Is it up to you to prove Zeus does not exist? Oh wait, I also have a pet hamster that is actually typing this post! Ok, now prove he is not....Gets pretty stupid fast, huh?

If I am a child, you are but an infant...

-fc

Inspector,

The thing I love most about debating atheists is that, usually at some point during a debate, the atheist will say something that will make me laugh so hard that tears will fall down my face at least once.
You are quite welcome.

Theism as you quite rightly indicate is indeed one of the most hilariously idiotic topics imaginable. I am pleased that as atheists we are able to highlight for you the more foolish aspects of theistic thinking.

Inspector,

can someone, preferably an atheist, please define 'atheism' for us, in your own words?
I'll do better, here is a web link for you.

But I'm curious, since you have been quick to criticise atheism, why have you done that without understanding what it was you were criticising? Perhaps this will help you understand all your mistakes.

Definitions of atheism -

http://www.infidels.org/news/atheism/intro.html

The rift between religion and science is growing wider by the day. In the time that Jesus lived, gods were the order of the day. People were deified regularly - many Roman emperors were deified. How long after Christianity did the Roman gods survive? They could not offer anything or do anything. They were dead gods. Rome was the hub of civilization at that time, and it was expanding fast - even in those circumstances Christianity not only survived, but thrived. Jesus was a reality to those people, but like most of history, people tend to differ about what really happened. The rift grows wider and wider until only faith can bridge it.

2 Corinthians 3:14
But their minds were made dull, for to this day the same veil remains when the old covenant is read. It has not been removed, because only in Christ is it taken away.
2 Corinthians 3:16
But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.
2 Corinthians 4:3
And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. 4The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.

The more people learn, the blinder they become, because they trust themselves above all else and fail to see what God is showing them - their is a veil before their eyes, and that veil is the lie that you can only explain what you can see. You can't see beyond death, yet you believe that there is nothing there? You can't see God, and you believe He doesn't exist? The Bible says God is invisible:
Romans 1
19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities--his eternal power and divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

Acts 14:11When the crowd saw what Paul had done, they shouted in the Lycaonian language, "The gods have come down to us in human form!" 12Barnabas they called Zeus, and Paul they called Hermes because he was the chief speaker. 13The priest of Zeus, whose temple was just outside the city, brought bulls and wreaths to the city gates because he and the crowd wanted to offer sacrifices to them.

Christianity follows a living God, not a human one and not a dead one. He is invisible but is actions are visible, and He is praised by the witnesses of His actions. If you have not yet seen God's work, ask yourself why.

Acts:14:15"Men, why are you doing this? We too are only men, human like you. We are bringing you good news, telling you to turn from these worthless things to the living God, who made heaven and earth and sea and everything in them. 16In the past, he let all nations go their own way. 17Yet he has not left himself without testimony: He has shown kindness by giving you rain from heaven and crops in their seasons; he provides you with plenty of food and fills your hearts with joy." 18Even with these words, they had difficulty keeping the crowd from sacrificing to them.

Because God is unseen, God sees what is unseen, and rewards good that is done unseen. Because we say that we can see, we have no reason to be blind.

Christopher,

I am quite familiar with atheism. I have been to nearly every web site representing the subject. I debate atheists everyday on several sites (secular turf). I want YOUR definition of an atheist, in YOUR own words, please.

><>

The belief that all religions are beliefs is a belief. Which I only kind of believe.

Atheists are not making claims that 'god is a myth'. Atheists are saying evidence for the claim that there is a god is not substantial enough to warrant a belief. Do you think before religion anyone stood up and said "There is no god!". Of course not.

From dictionry.com

Atheist: One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Agnostic:
One who believes that it is impossible to know whether there is a God.
One who is skeptical about the existence of God but does not profess true atheism.
One who is doubtful or noncommittal about something.

So you seem to be talking about an agnostic. Atheists will NOT believe in a god, no matter what.

Agnostics will believe when they are convinced, weather physical proof or someone convinces them.

Originally posted by Walker
The belief that all religions are beliefs is a belief. Which I only kind of believe.

There is not one religion out there that is completely based on fact. While the biblical Jesus certainly lived (FACT) (Roman historians and official government records indicate), the only other things we know about him are passed down from word of mouth, and were mostly put into the books of the Bible in the Christian form of the New Testament.

Catch my drift?

"While the biblical Jesus certainly lived (FACT) (Roman historians and official government records indicate), the only other things we know about him are passed down from word of mouth....."
-------------------------------------------------------

You're half right. However, you are conveniently neglecting to mention the EYEWITNESS ACCOUNTS. BTW, do you know God does not exist? Or, do you 'lack belief' in God? Inquiring minds want to know.

><>

Originally posted by (Q)
Vienna

Therefore, if you tell me I have a purple dragon living in my swimming pool, it is up to me to produce the proof to substantiate your claim ?

Nah, I wouldn't be stupid enough to say that. You couldn't afford a swimming pool

:D

So you seem to be talking about an agnostic. Atheists will NOT believe in a god, no matter what.
Sorry youngwriter but what the hell? Does the definition say:

atheist - disbelief in the existence of god or gods no matter what for ever and ever amen!

Umm no. Just because somebody does not believe in something doesn't mean they are permenently committed to that belief no matter what.

That is how a theist thinks. Not an atheist. An atheist is prepared to change his position if given evidence that supports the claim that there is a god. But, just because that is a possibility does not mean it is remotely likely or even worth considering until it happens.

Let me try to make this clear for everybody- I do not think there is a god. If evidence were to be presented (such as direct contact) I would change my mind. This doesn't mean I am unsure in my belief...it is just being open-minded.

-fc

Vienna,

Why?

He appears to be asking someone who doesn't exist, and about something he already knows.

Vienna,

What do you mean? What was wrong with the web link?

Am I missing something here?

Vienna

Nah, I wouldn't be stupid enough to say that.

Yet, nowhere near smart enough to back yourself out of a corner without resorting to pathetic one-liners such as:

You couldn't afford a swimming pool

If you're unable to respond with a valid argument, don't bother responding at all. Not only are these lame remarks insulting to ones intelligence, they demean yours as well. If I want to be entertained with amateur stand-up comedy, I'll go to a nightclub.

Vienna,

You - didn't - answer - the - question. ROFLMAO
What question? I don't see any question. And certainly nothing addressed to me.

Back