My path to atheism: Yours? Rebuttals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm arrogant because I believe you haven't thought your position through?
What's to think through that I haven't already considered and addressed in detail?

I thought you agreed with the definition.
I've already posted extensively in this thread about which parts of your definitions I agree with, and which I reject.

Your points are atheist perspectives, which only avoids answering the questions I put to you.
It is a fact that God does not currently exist, as far as you are aware. Is it not?
See above. I hope I have answered this to your satisfaction now.

Theism is the belief in God. Why the need to personalise it? My belief, his belief, her belief...
I accept that theism is belief in God. (Let's not get into another discussion of gods vs God here.)

Can you explain to me what it is to believe in God?
I don't know. Can you?

For that matter, can you explain what it is to believe in a pumpkin?

Or do you draw upon a time when you thought you believed in God, only to realise that you don't (because you're atheist).
Obviously, if you're asking about my subjective experience of believing in God, then I have only my past to go on.

You can't even talk about God, or Jesus, let alone believed in them.
What would you like to talk about? New thread, perhaps? Is it upsetting you that I haven't mentioned Jesus in this thread?

You probably think you're being objective, that you have enough information, and ability, to view it from the opposite perspective. But you don't. It's like being blind. No matter how much information you amass, your perception will never be the same as a sighted person.
Really you're comparing something like the sensory experience of having an apple right there in front of you to having a memory of what apples are like. The perception you get while you eat an apple is different from your memory of what it is like to eat an apple.

I get it that my perception of God is different from yours. That's because the subjective experience you have when you consider God is inevitably coloured by the strong belief you have. My subjective experience when I consider God is quite different, because it is coloured by a different set of beliefs.

I understand why you must think I'm like a blind man who is unable to perceive the true majesty of God in the way you feel is real. That's a very common theist experience. The God thing can tap deep into the human psyche.

I've also been there and done that, so I do know what it's like, despite your denials.

That's not necessarily better or worse. It would depend on the individual. But it is a common-sense fact, which is why most people don't like the idea of losing their sight, as they feel they would be without something that they is essential.
Yes, it can be scary to give up your God belief, and lots of people are very resistant to it, understandably. That's one reason I try not to evangelise for atheism. I think it's far better if people come to it in their own time. Really that's the only way you can come to it from theism, anyway. It's a personal journey. Nobody can force you not to believe, but some theists are scared that atheists might by some trickery achieve lead them to that against their will, and then they feel like they'd be lost. So, the defensive walls go up.

The 'predisposition' to believe in God is something an atheist would insert, for there own credibility.
Our genetic history predisposes us to many things. Not all of them are useful in the modern world.

The fact is people believe in God, and have always believed in God. It is natural to human beings, not a predisposition.
Interesting. How do you know?

It doesn't matter how I explain my belief, it will never make sense to you, unless you give up you preconceptions. Which I doubt will happen any time soon.
I see. You refuse to describe your own beliefs because you're convinced it will be a waste of your time. And you're assuming that nothing you say could possibly change my mind about anything. I wonder why you continue to discuss things.

Objective evidence is not the thing that makes you a theist. Sure theists will try and argue for God, using objective evidence, but that's not what is needed to be theist. Objective evidence gives insight into the awesomeness of God. Or if you're an atheist, the awesomeness of nature (as there is nothing else as far as they are aware).
I agree!

You're the one who thinks there needs to be suitable evidence for God to be. Where did you get that idea from?
There needs to be suitable evidence for me to believe in God. It's just the way I am (now). I'd almost say it's "natural", but actually I think it's as much nurture as nature.

Could it be that you reject God, but don't know how or when it became real, that if God IS, then there should be suitable evidence (by suitable, evidence that conforms to whatever standard I deem fit)?
Sorry, I'm having trouble parsing that question.

Who says there is no external source? I thought you knew what theism means?
Sorry, I forgot to take into account your pan-theism. You think you know that God exists because you believe you are part of God. I get it. But, again, knowledge doesn't follow from belief.

People can act James. Psychopaths are supposed to be very good at pretending to be loving and caring.
Signs don't always follow James.
That's good healthy skepticism you have there. Now, if you can just apply that to your God belief...

Belief or lack of belief in God, isn't the subject matter. God is the subject, we either accept or we don't.
Again with the a priori assumption that actually exists.

Furthermore, belief or lack of belief in God is the subject matter with regard you asserting that "lack of belief in God" (being one of the many definitions of atheism you have offered up) somehow assumes the existence of God.

So your evasion is noted, and is telling, in that you know you have no logical foot to stand on in this regard.
Simply put: "lack of belief in God" no more assumes that God actually exists than "lack of belief in Zarg" assumes Zarg actually exists.
If you don't believe what I say about God, it doesn't mean you don't believe or believe in God.
Correct.
You're not an atheist because you reject others claim about God. You're an atheist because you don't believe in God.
No, I'm an atheist because I do not have the belief that God(s) exist (although I don't go as far as to have the belief that God does not exist), and this is the primary position.
My lack of belief in God is secondary to that.
It is the primary position that makes me an atheist.
There are people who might believe God to actually exist but who do not believe in God (e.g. some Deists).
These people would not be atheist, although they would have been called atheist under the original meaning in Ancient Greece.
They are not atheist because they do have the belief that God(s) exist.
They would possibly be referred to as non-theistic believers.

But I'm not sure why I'm bothering to explain this to you as the chances of you actually taking it on board are next to nil.

I'm puzzled, because I think most theists would have no problem being "out" about their belief that God is real.

You don't seem to want to accept that theism, and atheism, are natural positions for human beings. We are born with the capacity to accept either. Creatures are born infused with capacity, are they not?

It's not clear to me how you think about God, in that case, and I'm interested.

Me being a theist should provide you with the adequate reasons how I think about God.
I shouldn't have to explain it anymore than that, as it is the starting position.

So you are an essentialist? That is, you think that people are born atheist or theist, and that's all there is to it? Or perhaps you think their atheism or theism is thrust on them by nature, and they're stuck with what they get?

Nope. I think that people are born with the capacity to accept, or reject God.
I think that is why there are two positions which we call theism and atheism.

Do you perhaps have an argument you make to yourself that allows this God to be ("God IS") and yet not reveal himself as a real being? If so, could you share it with me, so I can better understand your position?

Not really. No.

See, for me, when I thought about whether to believe in God I didn't start from "I'm an atheist, so I'll close...

...alternative, and see where that takes me as a theist."

You were already atheist. Thinking about whether or not to believe in God, is not theistic.
Deciding to love someone, is not the same as simply loving someone, regardless of what you think of them.

Rather, I said started from something more like "Let me learn about the idea of God, what people say about God, what evidence there is of God in the world, what I sense/feel about God,....

...more widely on my own.

Your starting point is a non acceptance of God.
Acceptance can be faster than thought.

I don't think anybody is a "natural" theist or a "natural" atheist. I think theism is mostly something that is indoctrinated into people from an early age. Most people learn about theism long before they are aware that atheism is even a possibility.

And that is the difference. We both see it from our perspectives.

And as I am now, I don't believe that I'm an atheist because of anything "fundamental" or essentialist or "natural". Atheism is just a rational conclusion...

...so why would atheism be any different?

I never said it was fixed. I said we have the ability to accept or deny God.
To decided whether or not there is any merit to this concept, God, is an atheist characteristic.

I believed in God, just like you believe in God.

No you didn't. You decided to believe in God. I didn't.

That's a fairly common assumption that theists like yourself make about atheists. You assume ex-theists weren't "in" religion for the same noble reasons you're in it. No, the evil atheists must have been in it for selfish reasons.

It's not about being noble, nor is it about being better, or safer, or anything like that. You just come to a realisation, and you surrender.
From what I can ascertain, you didn't come to such a realisation. You decided to give it a try.

In fact, atheists are people just like you, no better or worse, fundamentally. They just don't happen to believe in God.

Exactly.

And stay tuned for the inevitable rationalisations: how I was always "essentially" an atheist,...

...when I professed the normal theistic faith and belief; etc.

You didn't think you were atheist, because you were deciding whether or not there was any merit to this idea called God.
You probably thought you were in some kind of limbo, or deciding place. Neither atheist or theist (until decision day).
But you were atheist. God was only an idea, and was always only an idea.

Why is it important what I want, or what you want? Is it any more likely that God will exist if I want him to? Will he spring into existence if I wish hard enough? Is that what happened for you?

You're less likely to accept something, if you don't want to.
You've barricaded yourself in by setting up standards of acceptance.
No matter what you can shift the goalpost to suit yourself.

Is this you admitting there is no convincing argument for God, then? Or just no argument that you think might convince me?

A ''convincing argument'' is a two way street. It requires two sides.
Imagine asking your fiancé to give you a convincing argument for why you should spend the rest of your life with her.

Do you think it is possible for an essentialist atheist like myself ever to change and start believing in God?

Of course.

Anthony Flew, for example. Do you think he was really secretly a "natural" theist all along, then? Why did a convincing argument arrive for him? Or did it? Maybe he just decided to start being a theist. But, if so, what happened to his essentialist "nature"?

Somewhere along the line he decided not to accept the notion (so it remained a notion), and like you, went off to decide for himself.
I suspect what happened was, he became tired of the thought processes required to keep God at bay. and would have been able to accept the realisations, and reasoning about God, without having to maintain barriers. The obviousness hit him, and had to concede.

Maybe it's because of the emphasis on awareness,...

...lack the appropriate capacity to perceive God.

What you call my ''assumption'' is no different to your ''assumption'' that for God to exist, there must be evidence of my choosing, to support that assertion. It is where we start.

Maybe it's because of the "for you" that you like to slip in there. God exists, you assume,...

...OK by them if God exists for me.

I've never said ''God exists''. I, and you, exist. If God exists, as in I or you exist (which is what you mean by existence), then God is just another object that exists within the universe. Therefore God would not be God, by definition.

I have no awareness of the existence of God. That could be (a) because God exists and I lack capacity, or (b) because God doesn't exist. To decide which of these is the correct explanation, we'd first need to establish...

...as to why I'm not aware of God.

And that's why you're an atheist. There is no God, only an idea of God.
Note that the second reason is reliant on the first.

You're right, in a sense. Because you won't tell me, or anybody else, I am left to draw conclusions from other things that you write. And from what I'm gathering here, you have little confidence that God exists in reality. It "doesn't work like that" for you, you tell me.

I've told you lots of stuff. But you reject a lot of it.

You should learn to accept peoples fundamental positions, and not imply that they are wrong (which is what you do), because it is not the same as yours.

On the one hand, your position strikes me as a kind of default that you've never really sat down to consider.

Why?

It's like you started believing in God and never honestly considered the alternative. It's like a habit. Or maybe it's like a belief that you have a "God gene", and there's nothing you can do about it.

It's like somebody blind from birth, not accepting that others have eyes and can see the things they can only feel. Even they have a good grasp at what ''seeing' is, it would be understandable how they can come to non acceptance.

jan.

You would have us accept that the meaning of "lack" requires that the thing "lacked" must exist.

Obviously God doesn't exist as far as you're aware, but God IS, as far as theists are.
So in the whole picture, you are without God.

Evidence is what it is. There's strong evidence and weak evidence, convincing evidence and unconvincing evidence, equivocal evidence and unequivocal evidence. The point is, most people have some idea about what "counts" as evidence, and what doesn't. That isn't unique to atheists.

Sometimes we have to rely on others, in order to reject or deny evidence, because we don't possess the knowledge to see it for ourselves. We still have to decide whether or not the evidence is weak, or convincing.

Let's be honest. Nothing I tell you about what God is will be sufficient to convince you I know what God is.

I know you don't know what is God, because of your label. If you are without God, then you don't know God.
If you are without sight, then you don't know what seeing is (unless you have had some experience of it).

You're asking if I know whether God exists. Answer: I don't know.

That's not what I'm asking you.
I'm asking if God currently exists as far as you're aware.
The answer is no, God doesn't currently exist as far as you're aware

And neither do you, despite what you think. Knowledge doesn't follow from belief.

You can only speak from your own perspective.

I don't believe that God exists, but belief is not about "awareness", despite what you may think.

Belief is due to awareness, knowledge, intelligence, experience, and so on.

And see my previous discussion of my hypotheses in your real motivation for asking this question repeatedly, as you do.

I repeat them, because you keep avoiding them.

No. I am an atheist because I see it like that. I'm not an essentialist like you are. See the difference?

To try and come to an understanding of God, by that method, is an atheist characteristic.
Theist generally don't see God in that way, unless they are talking to atheists.

Not at all. Lots of people demonstrable don't require it. They believe for irrational reasons: for emotional reasons, as a result of wishful thinking, or simply because they haven't really considered the alternative in some cases.

So they are wrong, misguided, or disillusioned, for believing in God without going through your mode of checks?

Speaking personally, I am not going to believe in God without some evidence or argument that convinces me. But there's nothing special about God in that regard. I apply the same process when I decide on whether to believe anything.

Of course you do. Ultimately ''God'' is nothing more than a word/symbol. I get it.
That's what an atheist is, a person who does not believe in God (for whatever reason).

I don't know what you do. Each to his own, I guess.

I'm guessing you don't like that.

If it implies that for you, you're not reading it right. Atheists don't believe that God exists. That should be obvious to you. Why do you need to try to twist that around and pretend that atheists secretly believe that God exists after all? It is what it is. Live with it.

I didn't say atheists believe God exists. If they did, they wouldn't be atheist.
That atheists DON'T believe God exists, counts as a reason for why they don't believe in God (hence they are atheist).
You would like it to be that God not existing is the starting point for everyone, therefore the onus is on the person who makes the claim of existence (against the backdrop of non existence). That way, there is no implication of God, only claims about God.

The reality is, it is not like that. There are two perspectives. God just IS (hence everything), or there is no God. Both are starting points.

jan.

Furthermore, belief or lack of belief in God is the subject matter with regard you asserting that "lack of belief in God" (being one of the many definitions of atheism you have offered up) somehow assumes the existence of God.

To me it does, to you it doesn't.
I guess we'll just have to go to that place. :rolleyes:

Simply put: "lack of belief in God" no more assumes that God actually exists than "lack of belief in Zarg" assumes Zarg actually exists.

It assumes that you lack belief in God.
If you lacked belief in the British Labour Party, would it mean it they didn't exist. You're right. No!
So why would you assume that lacking belief in God, is any different than the Labour Party?

Oh! That's right, because there is no convincing evidence that shows that God exists. Right?
Then you don't lack a belief in God! God simply does not exist, as far as you're aware. Which is a brilliant reason for why you lack belief.

There are people who might believe God to actually exist but who do not believe in God (e.g. some Deists).

Non of that really matters. There is God, and there is without God. You are without God, I accept God.
That's the way it has always been. We all identify with that, and we all eventually make our choice.
If you don't want to accept, what has always been in human society, that's your business. But it changes nothing.

If you lacked belief in the British Labour Party, would it mean it they didn't exist. You're right. No!
So why would you assume that lacking belief in God, is any different than the Labour Party?

Non of that really matters. There is God, and there is without God. You are without God, I accept God.
That's the way it has always been. We all identify with that, and we all eventually make our choice.
If you don't want to accept, what has always been in human society, that's your business. But it changes nothing.
OK, so Jan has finally stopped beating around the bush and said explicitly that his conclusion is used as his premise: the presupposition that (like the BLP) God exists.
We've all known this all along, but Jan has weaseled his way around this for post after post.

In doing so, Jan has demonstrated a narrow, theist view of the world; and is unable to view it any other way than with the existence of God. This eliminates his ability to have an objective perspective.
We've all known this all, along, but finally Jan has publicly acknowledged it as well.

In doing so, Jan has demonstrated a narrow, theist view of the world; and is unable to view it any other way than with the existence of God.

Where in what you responded to, is a ''theist'' view of the world?

As far as I am aware, there have always been theists and atheists.
To both theist and atheist, the object is God.

If you think I'm wrong, or that I'm projecting a theist view of the world, please state where, and why.

jan.

:p So you can demand labels but I can't.

What labels have I demanded?

I'm not labelling anything as God. God just IS, was, and always will be. Anything we can perceive, or know, or experience is ultimately borne out of God. There is nothing but God, and God's energies.

jan.

I'm not labelling anything as God. God just IS, was, and always will be. Anything we can perceive, or know, or experience is ultimately borne out of God. There is nothing but God, and God's energies.

jan.

So though is god abrahamic , or the source ?

jan.
Preaching. Against the rules.

Me being a theist should provide you with the adequate reasons how I think about God.
I shouldn't have to explain it anymore than that, as it is the starting position.
Now you pretend there is only one way to be a theist, and require that the rest of us figure out what this way is and make sure it agrees with all your posting here.
I'm not labelling anything as God. God just IS, was, and always will be. Anything we can perceive, or know, or experience is ultimately borne out of God. There is nothing but God, and God's energies
Lots of theists disagree with you on every one of those points.
I'm not labelling anything as God. God just IS, was, and always will be
In which case nobody could be without God.
Anything we can perceive, or know, or experience is ultimately borne out of God.
An entity that is without existing can have almost any role - but is necessary to none of them.

To me it does, to you it doesn't.
I guess we'll just have to go to that place. :rolleyes:

Oh! That's right, because there is no convincing evidence that shows that God exists. Right?
Then you don't lack a belief in God! God simply does not exist, as far as you're aware. Which is a brilliant reason for why you lack belief.

what kind of drugs are you on...... Please share

I'm not labelling anything as the Universe. The Universe just IS, was (*), and always will be. Anything we can perceive, or know, or experience is ultimately borne out of the Universe. There is nothing but the Universe, and the Universe's energies.

(*) since time began wIth the Universe, the Universe must have always been, as "always" started when the Universe started, if indeed it did start.

I'm not labelling anything as the Universe. The Universe just IS, was (*), and always will be. Anything we can perceive, or know, or experience is ultimately borne out of the Universe. There is nothing but the Universe, and the Universe's energies.

(*) since time began wIth the Universe, the Universe must have always been, as "always" started when the Universe started, if indeed it did start.

Nothing has no start .

But no doubt you will claim that God has no start. :rolleyes:
Many might think that what you say is true, though: "nothing has no start", and thus if it is said to have no start then it must be nothing.
And if God has no start then God is nothing.
Oh, look, you've just argued for an eternal God being nothing.

Easy when you know how, eh? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back