Mormon Teachings

How has this thread effected your veiw of the LDS church?

• Veiw the church more favorably

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Less favorably

Votes: 19 34.5%
  • No change

Votes: 20 36.4%
  • No more and no less than any other church out there

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters
Jenyar said:
And none of these are "hell", or are they?

People who go to the Telestial Kingdom have to suffer fully for their sins in hell before they are redeemed by Christ.

So there's nothing you can do to attain a "higher" salvation? Why are some "incompletely" saved?

We are saved only as far as we accept the saving truths. If, for example, I believe fully that my works are of no effect and that Christ's grace is all that is necessary for full salvation to occur, I will effectively be damning myself, because righteous works are necessary (although not sufficient for salvation).

Are people able to keep the "celestial" laws for attaining exaltation (even though you say it's not attained, but received by grace).

Yes, people are capable of keeping the celestial laws. We do what we can and then Christ's grace covers for our shortcomings and saves us, after all we can do.

Christ is the way, the truth and the life. He has the full Melchizedek priesthood forever (Hebrews 7:24). He attains the resurrection to life, "Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him". Why is the Mormon church necessary?

The Church has Priesthood authority, and the saving ordinances are only available through this Priesthood. Yes, Christ holds the Melchizedek priesthood; however, that doesn't mean that others cannot hold it as well (although that doesn't mean that those who hold it are equal to Christ--far from it!)

The priesthood is of believers, not for "men who are weak" who try to substitute or add to what the "sinners" cannot do. Christ intercedes for us himself. He supplies all we need to know for salvation, having brought the final sacrifice. All we do is in imitation of Him - in his "name" - and therefore surrenders to His authority. Peter was addressing his whole congregation when he said this:
1 Peter 4:10-11
Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God's grace in its various forms. If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. If anyone serves, he should do it with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.​
God's gifts and words aren't dispensed by Mormon priests and prophets, but by God himself. Christ is our only mediator and our only testimony.
1 Timothy 2:5
For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself as a ransom for all men — the testimony given in its proper time.​
It doesn't get any "brighter" than that. If you believe this, there can be no doubt left.

Well, I disagree that there is such a thing as "priesthood of all believers," so maybe we should agree to disagree on that point. Spiritual gifts are not the same thing as the Priesthood. Anyone may have any number of spiritual gifts without consulting the LDS prophets! :)

water said:
Don't twist this.

Fact is that you (LDS) will not accept any other source of revelation but that of your prophets.

So what you are saying -- "Oh, I believe that many non-Mormons have been and are inspired of God to speak truths. You don't have to be a Mormon to be inspired or to feel the Holy Spirit's promptings and respond to them." -- is just hot air.

Unless by an LDS prophet, you will not believe it is from God.

False. Truth isn't limited to Mormonism. I'm partial to Billy Graham and C.S. Lewis, myself.

Marlin said:
Well, I disagree that there is such a thing as "priesthood of all believers," so maybe we should agree to disagree on that point.
Who was Peter talking to in these verses:
1 Peter 2:4-10
As you come to him, the living Stone — rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him — you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.​
And who are the people talking in Revelation?
Rev. 1:5b-7
To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.​
Who are the men purchased by Jesus' sacrifice?
Rev. 5:9-10
"You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased men for God
from every tribe and language and people and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth."​

Marlin said:
False. Truth isn't limited to Mormonism. I'm partial to Billy Graham and C.S. Lewis, myself.
It appears then that Mormonism's "selling point" is not what you call salvation, but in fact offers only exaltation (deification). Salvation comes through Christ alone, by grace. Exaltation comes from obedience to your prophets (since they alone can administer the neccessary sacraments).

Jenyar said:
Who was Peter talking to in these verses:
1 Peter 2:4-10
As you come to him, the living Stone — rejected by men but chosen by God and precious to him — you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Once you were not a people, but now you are the people of God; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.​

Peter was speaking to the people of God before the Great Apostasy occurred. After the Apostasy was in full bloom, Priesthood authority was lost from the earth.

And who are the people talking in Revelation?
Rev. 1:5b-7
To him who loves us and has freed us from our sins by his blood, and has made us to be a kingdom and priests to serve his God and Father—to him be glory and power for ever and ever! Amen.​

They are those who join the Church and receive the Priesthood.

Who are the men purchased by Jesus' sacrifice?
Rev. 5:9-10
"You are worthy to take the scroll
and to open its seals,
because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased men for God
from every tribe and language and people and nation.
You have made them to be a kingdom and priests to serve our God,
and they will reign on the earth."​

Those who join the Church and receive the Priesthood.

Jenyar said:
It appears then that Mormonism's "selling point" is not what you call salvation, but in fact offers only exaltation (deification). Salvation comes through Christ alone, by grace. Exaltation comes from obedience to your prophets (since they alone can administer the neccessary sacraments).

No; even the lower Kingdoms require obedience to Christ's laws. But yes, Mormonism is definitely about getting people exalted, no question about that.

Marlin said:
Peter was speaking to the people of God before the Great Apostasy occurred. After the Apostasy was in full bloom, Priesthood authority was lost from the earth.
Alright, so by your admission above he was speaking to people who had "joined the church and received the Priesthood". Did their priesthood consist of special knowledge, or of authority, or both? Did they simply refrain to pass along that knowledge or authority (by laying on of hands, as I believe it's done), thereby causing the "great apostasy" or did they lose it themselves?

Since Peter presumably didn't edit the Bible to refelct the new "apostate" beliefs, I take it that these second generation believers did. Have you any idea how they might have gotten away with it?

Marlin said:
No; even the lower Kingdoms require obedience to Christ's laws.
So Christ's resurrection - in contrast to what He states in John 5:24 - only gets people as far as judgement and condemnation, unless they do something to deserve entry into one of the kingdoms?

But yes, Mormonism is definitely about getting people exalted, no question about that.
Who does the work of attaining exaltation - you (by obedience to Mormon's priests or prophets), or God? If God, why do we need Mormonism?

What does the Bible say about exaltation?

Last edited:
Jenyar said:
Alright, so by your admission above he was speaking to people who had "joined the church and received the Priesthood". Did their priesthood consist of special knowledge, or of authority, or both? Did they simply refrain to pass along that knowledge or authority (by laying on of hands, as I believe it's done), thereby causing the "great apostasy" or did they lose it themselves?

Since Peter presumably didn't edit the Bible to refelct the new "apostate" beliefs, I take it that these second generation believers did. Have you any idea how they might have gotten away with it?

I don't know exactly how the apostasy happened. I just know that it happened.

So Christ's resurrection - in contrast to what He states in John 5:24 - only gets people as far as judgement and condemnation, unless they do something to deserve entry into one of the kingdoms?

Hearing and believing the word of God constitutes an action which will apparently get us through condemnation into life, according to John 5:24. But believing is an action, and to be viable, this faith must have works accompanying it (see James chapter 2--faith without works is dead).

Who does the work of attaining exaltation - you (by obedience to Mormon's priests or prophets), or God? If God, why do we need Mormonism?

Both we and God work out our own salvation. It is a joint effort. The Church is a vehicle that will deliver us onto the doorstep of exaltation.

Jenyar said:
What does the Bible say about exaltation?

Here are some verses that indicate that man has the potential to become like God:

Genesis 3:22 The man is become as one of us
Psalms 82:6 Ye are gods, and all of you are children of the most high
John 10:34 Is it not written in your law...Ye are gods
Acts 17:29 We are the offspring of God
Romans 8:17 Heirs with God, and joint-heirs with Christ
2 Cor. 3:18 Changed into the same image from glory to glory
Gal. 4:7 If a son, then an heir of God through Christ
Eph. 4:13 Till we all come...unto a perfect man
1 John 3:2 When he shall appear, we shall be like him
Rev. 3:21 Him that overcometh will...sit with me in my throne

Originally Posted by water
Don't twist this.

Fact is that you (LDS) will not accept any other source of revelation but that of your prophets.

So what you are saying -- "Oh, I believe that many non-Mormons have been and are inspired of God to speak truths. You don't have to be a Mormon to be inspired or to feel the Holy Spirit's promptings and respond to them." -- is just hot air.

Unless by an LDS prophet, you will not believe it is from God.

The way I understand it is that mormons will accept revelation as being from God (Moroni 10:3-5 in the Book of Mormon is a good exaple of this) but that they won't accept any other person's "revelation" about how to run the church and other such doctrinal things - that sort of revelation goes only to the prophet

Marlin said:
Here are some references about the Great Apostasy.
I found one reference interesting
http://library.lds.org/nxt/gateway....ion.htm?fn=document-frame.htm&f=templates&2.0
in contrast, many Christians reject the idea of a tangible, personal God and a Godhead of three separate beings. They believe that God is a spirit and that the Godhead is only one God.

The collision between the speculative world of Greek philosophy and the simple, literal faith and practice of the earliest Christians produced sharp contentions that threatened to widen political divisions in the fragmenting Roman empire. This led Emperor Constantine to convene the first churchwide council in A.D. 325. The action of this council of Nicaea remains the most important single event after the death of the Apostles in formulating the modern Christian concept of deity. The Nicene Creed erased the idea of the separate being of Father and Son by defining God the Son as being of “one substance with the Father.”

In the process of what we call the Apostasy, the tangible, personal God described in the Old and New Testaments was replaced by the abstract, incomprehensible deity defined by compromise with the speculative principles of Greek philosophy.
your church blames the church councils after Constantine as the reason for the Apostasy, yet the fact of the matter, most of the other competing forms of christianity were gnostic, arian, monophysite. Those ideas are easily researched, then read the Bible, see if they agree with or not. read the gnostic ones too, they read "odd"

because the LDS is church is a cult, they are naturally biased to "other" interpretations, because otherwise their church could not state there was an "apostasy" to be rescued from, which curiously is not mentioned in the BoM, which reads 'Trinitarian', how curious? How conveniently forgotten by LDS?

Marlin said:
I don't know exactly how the apostasy happened. I just know that it happened.
Aren't you interested in finding out and explaining it to the people you come into contact with, since it was an event of such importance? What's the point of being endowed with the "priesthood" if you're not going to use it's authority? You must be able to say more than the average "Christian", since you are supposed to have something we don't.

Hearing and believing the word of God constitutes an action which will apparently get us through condemnation into life, according to John 5:24. But believing is an action, and to be viable, this faith must have works accompanying it (see James chapter 2--faith without works is dead).
Life? You mean, into the second resurrection, not the "general" one - into one of the three kingdoms?

Of course faith must be genuine, or it's not faith. I know James 2 very well. Works do contribute to faith, but not to election for salvation, or that would not be "by grace" anymore (Romans 11:6). It is this faith that unites believers into Christ, the perfect man:
Eph. 4:13-15 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ​

Both we and God work out our own salvation. It is a joint effort. The Church is a vehicle that will deliver us onto the doorstep of exaltation.
No, Christ was that vehicle. He is the temple - rebuilt in three days, remember? You say God only brought us to the doorstep, but that what He really intended for us isn't available except from Joseph Smith and his prophets, thus by man's further works (i.e. after grace). Like you said: "Mormonism is definitely about getting people exalted".

You gave me some verses you say pertain to exaltation; here's one in context:
Gal. 4:3-7
So also, when we were children [like in Ps. 82:6; Acts 17:29; Eph.4:14], we were in slavery under the basic principles of the world. But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.​
At which stage of this process do we come in? Who is the acting party above?

[Many Christians] believe that God is a spirit and that the Godhead is only one God. In our view, these concepts are evidence of the falling away we call the Great Apostasy.
Mark 12:29 "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.'"

John 4:24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.

In contrast to traditional Christianity, we join with Paul in affirming the existence of a third or higher heaven.
What many Mormons don't seem to know is that in 1784 (about 50 years before Joseph Smith) Emanuel Swedenborg envisioned three distinct heavens in the afterlife, and called the third the "Celestial Kingdom". However, the real origin of the "three heavens" is Hebrew thought (who even subdivided them further into seven or ten heavens). These are the terrestrial, telestial, and celestial heavens:

The atmospehere over the earth (earth = terra = terrestial)
Deut. 11:17 - And then the LORD's wrath be kindled against you, and he shut up the heaven, that there be no rain, and that the land yield not her fruit...

Space ("heaven's heaven")
Nehemiah 9:6 - You alone are the LORD. You made the heavens, even the highest heavens, and all their starry host, the earth and all that is on it, the seas and all that is in them.

God's dwelling-place (the third heaven)
1 Kings 8:30 - And hearken thou to the supplication of thy servant, and of thy people Israel, when they shall pray toward this place: and hear thou in heaven thy dwelling place: and when thou hearest, forgive.

Or as the JewishEncyclopedia puts it:
It is the dwelling-place of God, from which He looks down upon all the inhabitants of the earth (Ps. 11:4; 33:13-14), though the heavens and heaven's heaven do not contain Him (Isa. 66:1; 1 Kings 8:27).​

Last edited:
Jenyar said:
Aren't you interested in finding out and explaining it to the people you come into contact with, since it was an event of such importance? What's the point of being endowed with the "priesthood" if you're not going to use it's authority? You must be able to say more than the average "Christian", since you are supposed to have something we don't.

Guilty as charged. I should know more about it, yes. Thank you for pointing that out.

Life? You mean, into the second resurrection, not the "general" one - into one of the three kingdoms?

There is no "second resurrection." There is one physical resurrection, and there is one assignment into one of the three kingdoms (but the latter is not viewed as a "resurrection" per se).

Of course faith must be genuine, or it's not faith. I know James 2 very well. Works do contribute to faith, but not to election for salvation, or that would not be "by grace" anymore (Romans 11:6). It is this faith that unites believers into Christ, the perfect man:
Eph. 4:13-15 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ​

Now you're getting into the grace/faith/works issue. Mormons believe that we are saved by grace through faith (which requires good works or it is dead). Without works, we cannot be saved; however, it is grace which ultimately saves us.

No, Christ was that vehicle. He is the temple - rebuilt in three days, remember? You say God only brought us to the doorstep, but that what He really intended for us isn't available except from Joseph Smith and his prophets, thus by man's further works (i.e. after grace). Like you said: "Mormonism is definitely about getting people exalted".

Christ can be said to be that vehicle, yes, but the Church is also a vehicle (as opposed to an end in itself). Without the saving ordinances of the Church (i.e., baptism, endowments, and celestial marriage for time and all eternity), we could not enter the highest kingdom of God (the Celestial Kingdom).

You gave me some verses you say pertain to exaltation; here's one in context:
Gal. 4:3-7
So also, when we were children [like in Ps. 82:6; Acts 17:29; Eph.4:14], we were in slavery under the basic principles of the world. But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law, to redeem those under law, that we might receive the full rights of sons. Because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, "Abba, Father." So you are no longer a slave, but a son; and since you are a son, God has made you also an heir.​
At which stage of this process do we come in? Who is the acting party above?

I don't understand your question here. We make a covenant with God at baptism, and renew that covenant by taking the Sacrament (Mormon word for "communion") every week in Church, that we will always remember Him, that we will take upon ourselves His name, that we may have His spirit to be with us. It is by this covenant that God works with us in exalting us eventually. Baptism is the gateway into this covenant between God and man, so that is where we come in. Both God and man are the "acting parties" in our salvatory process.

Jenyar said:
Mark 12:29 "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.'"

Yes, the Lord is one Godhead. The Godhead is one union of three separate, distinct individuals, united in one purpose, heart, and intention. It may be properly referred to as "one" even though it consists of three.

John 4:24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.

Must we therefore take off our bodies to worship God? It does say we must worship Him in spirit, after all. But the truth of the matter is, God may be referred to as "spirit" just as man may worship in "spirit"; i.e., not only spirit. Man has a physical body but worships in spirit. God has a physical body but is also spirit; He's just not only spirit.

God is love; does that mean He is only love?

Last edited:
Marlin said:
There is no "second resurrection." There is one physical resurrection, and there is one assignment into one of the three kingdoms (but the latter is not viewed as a "resurrection" per se).
So you say some will stay resurrected (in one of the three kingdoms), and others will return to hell. I agree that there would only be this one resurrection for those who believe in Christ: "the first resurrection. Blessed and holy are those who have part in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them" (Rev. 20:5); and Jesus likewise said:
"I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life. I tell you the truth, a time is coming and has now come when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who hear will live." (John 5:24-25)​
Revelation confirms this:
Rev. 21:6-7 He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son.

Revelation 3:5 He who overcomes will, like them, be dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge his name before my Father and his angels. (Rev. 20:15) If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

(Who is it that overcomes the world? Only he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. - 1 John 5:5)​

Now you're getting into the grace/faith/works issue. Mormons believe that we are saved by grace through faith (which requires good works or it is dead). Without works, we cannot be saved; however, it is grace which ultimately saves us.
I hope you can spot the contradiction. By definition, grace has nothing to do with works, but still you say "without works, we cannot be saved".

Without the works to prove it we do not really have faith in Christ, who saves us. Without his salvation, we remain in our condemned state where we have only our own deeds.

Christ can be said to be that vehicle, yes, but the Church is also a vehicle (as opposed to an end in itself). Without the saving ordinances of the Church (i.e., baptism, endowments, and celestial marriage for time and all eternity), we could not enter the highest kingdom of God (the Celestial Kingdom).
If you say so. But for my part, I'd rather hold on to Christ himself, who said "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." In obedience and gratitude to Him I have been baptized in his triune name, was incorporated into his body of believers (the only true church) to whom He gave His spirit as a deposit that guarantees what is to come (2 Cor. 1:22). So I serve only:
God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life — not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Saviour, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the gospel. (2 Tim. 1)​
I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day.

I don't understand your question here. We make a covenant with God at baptism, and renew that covenant by taking the Sacrament (Mormon word for "communion") every week in Church, that we will always remember Him, that we will take upon ourselves His name, that we may have His spirit to be with us. It is by this covenant that God works with us in exalting us eventually. Baptism is the gateway into this covenant between God and man, so that is where we come in. Both God and man are the "acting parties" in our salvatory process.
We make no covenant, God already made it - He made the first one, and the new one that consumes it. You are evading the whole text of Galatians I gave you. If we believe it, it leaves no further place for our input: it says God sent His son, redeeming those under the law (of works), giving them the right to be sons by His Spirit, thereby making them heirs with Christ. There is no covenant to be made in all of this, since it describes what God did for us, according to His promise to Abraham. "In other words, it is not the natural children who are God's children, but it is the children of the promise who are regarded as Abraham's offspring" (Rom. 9:8).
Hebrews 9:15
For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance — now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.​
The sacraments only confirm this covenant of what God already did. That's why we are able to testify to it (as opposed to being busy achieving it). We participate in Him, not in a new version of the old law.
1 Corinthians 10:16
Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ?​
Read the rest of Galatians 4. It describes the difference between a covenant that relies on bloodlines and hereditary priesthoods, and one that comes by faith in a promise.

Last edited:
Jenyar, you don't have to accept what the LDS Church offers, but that means you won't get as high a salvation as it promises, either. It's true, one may be saved without receiving baptism by one in authority while living on the earth; however, if you never receive the baptism, you will never be exalted. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints offers exaltation to its faithful members. Whether you accept this or not is totally up to you. You can cling to false doctrines if you wish, but the truth of the matter is, if you don't ever accept the ordinances of the Church, you won't be saved in the highest degree of salvation.

We do make a covenant with God at baptism. God works with man through this covenant, which is fundamental to salvation. Without this covenant, God is not obligated to save anyone. Those who keep the baptismal covenant and higher covenants will gain much more than those who don't accept such covenants.

Marlin said:
Yes, the Lord is one Godhead. The Godhead is one union of three separate, distinct individuals, united in one purpose, heart, and intention. It may be properly referred to as "one" even though it consists of three.
Then what's the point of calling Him "one"? And don't you further believe that humans are being added to that "Godhead" every day - not spirtually, as the Bible uses it, but physically?

Must we therefore take off our bodies to worship God? It does say we must worship Him in spirit, after all. But the truth of the matter is, God may be referred to as "spirit" just as man may worship in "spirit"; i.e., not only spirit. Man has a physical body but worships in spirit. God has a physical body but is also spirit; He's just not only spirit.
The body is a temporary tent that will be thrown off (2 Peter 1:13) and changed into a spiritual body. "If Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness" (Romans 8:10). "Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord" (2 Cor. 5:6).

God is love; does that mean He is only love?
That is hardly a good analogy, since love is a spiritual quality, and that's not the sense in which God is called spirit (which is why He can't be seen). He is not always experienced just in spirit, since even the Spirit once manifested itself as a dove. Saying that God is always manifested in a human body is like saying the Holy Spirit is always and only manifested as a dove.

Back