Mind is the "fifth" dimension

That is simply not true. I think there is time and there is, it is more than an illusion because I can build a nuclear clock, go away from it, come back, and it's still going, saying it's later than you think.

Wes, I would agree that time is a real perception within our existence. Whether it is a real dimension is arguable.

And I don't believe time is a fundemental requirement for existence. For time to be fundemental, it must exist everywhere. Yet time does not exist at the speed of light according to general relativity. And theoretically, time is created with each big bang. So time couldn't be a fundemental aspect of existence.

If time does not exist, we can't have this conversation because nothing could change because change takes place over time. Even instantaneous change of true/false still indicates time because at some point it was true, then false or vice versa.

I think we could have change without time. But the change couldn't be based on physical cause and effect.

Time is essential to physical cause and effect. Without time, we could not have physical change. Time, physical cause and physical effect are tied irrevocable together. They cannot exist without each other.

However if we have non-physical cause and non-physical effect, then we could have change without requiring time.

The consciousness may demonstrate examples of non-physical cause and effect. If you decide to take a walk, the cause is the non-physical intention produced by the non-physical consciousness to take a walk. So here we have a non-physical cause. Time is still required for the physical effect of taking the walk.

Now if we can show a non-physical effect combined with a non-physical cause, then we would demonstrate change not requiring time. Here is an example. You are thinking. You produce an idea. Both thinking (cause) and the idea (effect), are non-physical. So here is an example of non-physical cause and effect. Time would not be necessary to produce this type of change within the consciousness since a physical cause and effect is not required.

So I believe change could occur without time. Timeless change would have to be based on non-physical causes such as memories, thoughts, intention, emotion, etc. Timeless change would produce non-physical effects such as increased comprehension or understanding. This type of change would not require time.

Although non-physical cause could also result in the creation of physical effects. But the moment we have a physical effect, then we must have time.

Last edited:
A little offtopic:
don't we 'have' 11 demensions? I only know about 4 :)
(universe in a nutshell) *looks away and starts thinking*

Re: dimensions

Originally posted by Jagger
Wes, this is a very interesting topic.

Thanks much. Pardon for my delayed response, I forgot there'd been worthy posts. ;)

You seem to be trying to describe the functioning of consciousness in degrees of freedom rather than the traditional physical dimensions.

Indeed, I kind of misnomered on the thread title. I think it should have been "consciousness is the 'fifth dimension'". *shrug*. Actually, you'll notice that I tried this thread yet again here. You'll note if you read the thread thoroughly that i mentioned something I read about experiments with chips and genetic algorithms that got me thinking along these lines in the first place. Basically, consider that nature has no expectation. She does not necessarily limit her experimentation to human expectation as is obvious by our existence in we have a hard time fathoming how we work at this point. So given this lack of limitation and propelled by evolution, nature stumbled upon the method for at least the illusion of self-awareness. I just happen to think that self-awareness simply doesn't fit into four dimensional space-time. I'm starting to suspect that this conclusion is irrifutably logically valid, but I have no idea how you'd try to validate it any more that we already are by for example the experience of reading this very sentence.

I believe the Buddhists have spent time breaking down the levels of consciousness in a manner similar to yours. IIRC, the lowest level of consciousness is "being aware". From awareness springs emotion, and then thought, reflection, intention, etc. based on reception of input through bodily senses from our universe. Some science hypotheses also support the possibility that time may emerge from the consciousness as a perception rather than as another actual dimension alongside the three physical dimensions.

Hmm. That's always been a thing for sure, but I generally accept the idea of space-time as pretty valid at least mechanically. I think perception can jack with itself dramatically and makes time seem like more than it is. Actually as I think about it is it that consciousness does necessarily force time to be more than it is? I think it does (inherently subjectively time is much more than time (in the personal and mechanistic senses, respectively)) ... that's interesting.

I think it is interesting to contemplate the possibility of the consciousness as independent but connected with the three physical dimensions.

I would say the same thing adding "space-time" instead of "the three physical (spatial) dimensions".

The consciousness doesn't exhibit any of the characteristics of the three physical dimensions.

I've recently argued (as you'll note in my previously reference thread) the same excepting my objection above.

Everything within our 3d universe is predictable according to the laws of physics or at least statistically predictable except consciousness.

So you're saying that everything can be statistically modeled except consciousness (as a necessity of your assertion)? I could buy that as a generalization but I'm not sure it adds anything unless taken as an exact statement which I'd have to disagree with. Well, that is to say that I cannot say for sure that consciousness could not be statistically modelled - just that maybe it's too complex or the math is as yet underdeveloped to encompass such a complicated system. I guess I'm not sure either, if there are systems in nature besides consciousness that cannot be statiscally modelled.

All purely physical matter is absolutely governed by physical cause and effect but does not initiate cause and effect.

Well, I'm not the expert but is there some QM type stuff that would negate that claim? Anyone? I guess you're saying that you believe the physical universe to be collapsable to a single equation or rather that a model that could wouldn't be fully explanitory of all natural phenomenae since where does consciousness fit in with all that there? I'd agree with that last part, but suspect that there can't really be a single accurate equation by which consciousness couldn't somehow be construed.

universe, consciousness has the ability to initiate cause and effect. Consciousness also has self awareness, emotions, thoughts, contemplation and intention. These qualities are not demonstrated in any manner by purely 3d matter lacking consciousness.

Now that is an excellent point. I suppose we'd have to argue free will to validate it? Again I'd say those qualities aren't demonstrated "in any manner by purely 4D matter lacking consciousness."

The qualities of consciousness simply don't fit into a 3d physical universe.

I exactly agree. I believe sans the word "qualities", where I used "properties" I said almost the exact same sentence in that other thread.

So does the consciousness physically reside in a 4th or higher dimension with the remainder of the body in 3 dimensions? A 3d body and 3d senses would not be able to perceive a 4th or higher dimension. Yet a consciousness in the 4th or higher dimension would be able to interact with a 3d universe and 3d brain. It seems like it could be possible.

Heh, you know I was just talking about that in another thread. I don't remember exactly... ah, yes it was a doohickey in that language thread of mephura's.

I just had the thought "I am a species of my own.". By that I mean you too. I mean that in a way, mind is an 'integration' (I guess I mean analagous of the relationship of the integral to differentiation) of evolution in that mind itself evolves. It's evolution on top of evolution. Maybe just :m: eh? :rolleyes:. hehe.

Our universe at its most basic level seems to consist of nothing more than intersecting fields of information. As the fields intersect information is altered and transferred. Our bodily senses rout this input of information to our brain and then consciousness. The consciousness internally produces the universe we perceive. It produces a universe with solidity, space, dimensions, colors and smells which is a beautiful representation of what is actually a vast empty space composed of nothing but information fields.

Wow I like that a lot. Yeah man, you go. I talked about similar stuff in Refutation of Nihilism.

But to the point, the 3 dimensional space we perceive from information fields is created by our consciousness. Everything we measure with our experiments is filtered through a consciousness which can only create 3 dimensional perception. The universe could be composed of an infinity of dimensions but if our consciousness can only construct three, we would only see the 3 dimensions rather than the infinity. And if the universe is actually only crisscrossing fields of information, do we even have 3 physical dimensions at all. Perhaps we just have an artificial perception of 3 physical dimensions within a reality of anything from zero dimensions to an infinity of dimensions.

That's an interesting way to see it. I like it. There are slight differences in my view, but they are quite similar. For instance I see consciousness evidently lodged as the 'fifth' dimension, in addition to space-time rather than independent of it. I think the body is the four dimensional conduit to the fifth dimension. Maybe it even literally creates it, rather than just linking to it.. either way it exists because I am. For some time I've argued that it's the experience of meaning (consciousness) that you cannot place into spacetime. I mean... where would you put it? Not the biochemical process... the feeling.

But consciousness has to be real because we are self aware.
That's debatable but I agree. Did you read the link provided by evilpoet? It was mildly disturbing though I didn't buy it. Obviously though the guy who wrote it was incredibly sharp and does offer some serious challenge to the notion of consciousness.

So we know we have at least one "real" dimension allowing for the existence of consciousness.

Though I mostly agree with you there (the term 'know' is a little strong considering my self-doubt regarding the topic... I'd say 'strongly suspect'), I don't think James R or Crisp or other actual physicist types would be so quick to do the same.

We know there is linkage between consciousness and the perceived universe or we wouldn't experience it. Although considering the qualities demonstrated by a consciousness, it seems likely that consciousness is not an inherent component of the perceived 3 dimensional physical universe.

Obviously not since it most likely didn't exist until evolution was accomodated by satisfactory physical conditions and a lot of time. Would you say that consciousness is the process of abstraction? You see I think the astract exists but can only be acessed by the condition of consciousness. The "abstract dimension" is really what I'm talking about with all this, but it gets a little jumbled because it's so closely related to consciousness as I've stated.

So basically evolution uses genetics and chemistry to create brains that can acess the dimension of abstraction in order to further their understanding of themselves and as such the universe becomes aware of itself. Yeah. Hehe.. I suppose that's just what the life-force does. It's cool to be a part of it. It couldn't be cool if I weren't as there could not be a me for it to be. Pardon.

Okay so I guess I'm saying it also seems obvious that there is some other "force" that makes stuff alive and drives evolution. What do you think? (pardon, I've just been meandering a bit for the last two paragraphs, just trying to find something new in this)

Well, good posts man, nice to 'meet you' so to speak.

Last edited:
Wes, I would agree that time is a real perception within our existence. Whether it is a real dimension is arguable.
And I don't believe time is a fundemental requirement for existence. For time to be fundemental, it must exist everywhere. Yet time does not exist at the speed of light according to general relativity. And theoretically, time is created with each big bang. So time couldn't be a fundemental aspect of existence.

While I dig your process, I disagree with the result because you seem to ignore that space is created with the big bang as well.
I think we could have change without time. But the change couldn't be based on physical cause and effect.
Good point.
Time is essential to physical cause and effect. Without time, we could not have physical change.

The question is 'could you have abstract changes in the absence of time?' Hmm.. you could almost argue that YES, the act of the big bang illustrates it exactly. Nothing - > Everything. Interesting.
Time, physical cause and physical effect are tied irrevocable together. They cannot exist without each other.
Indeed.
However if we have non-physical cause and non-physical effect, then we could have change without requiring time.
While I want to argue about it, the whole big bang thing certainly illustrates it. I can't see how to refute that.
The consciousness may demonstrate examples of non-physical cause and effect. If you decide to take a walk, the cause is the non-physical intention produced by the non-physical consciousness to take a walk. So here we have a non-physical cause. Time is still required for the physical effect of taking the walk.

That's a more tenuous example. I'm not sure that's valid in that you've assumed that consciousness is non-physical. Again while I mostly agree I don't think that example exactly works. Maybe as an analagy.

Now if we can show a non-physical effect ..... physical effect, then we must have time.

Seems to me now that the big bang is the only necessary evidence for the capacity for change without time.

I just happen to think that self-awareness simply doesn't fit into four dimensional space-time. I'm starting to suspect that this conclusion is irrefutably logically valid, but I have no idea how you'd try to validate it any more that we already are by for example the experience of reading this very sentence.

Hi Wes! I agree. I think the characteristics of consciousness are too distinct from the purely physical to fit into the physical spacetime region.

Hmm. That's always been a thing for sure, but I generally accept the idea of space-time as pretty valid at least mechanically. I think perception can jack with itself dramatically and makes time seem like more than it is. Actually as I think about it is it that consciousness does necessarily force time to be more than it is? I think it does (inherently subjectively time is much more than time (in the personal and mechanistic senses, respectively)) ... that's interesting.

I agree that spacetime is independently real with an underlying logic of physical laws. I am just not sure physical spacetime is fundamental to the existence of consciousness.

So you're saying that everything can be statistically modeled except consciousness (as a necessity of your assertion)? I could buy that as a generalization but I'm not sure it adds anything unless taken as an exact statement which I'd have to disagree with. Well, that is to say that I cannot say for sure that consciousness could not be statistically modeled - just that maybe it's too complex or the math is as yet underdeveloped to encompass such a complicated system. I guess I'm not sure either, if there are systems in nature besides consciousness that cannot be statically modeled.

My understanding is that Newtonian and General Relativity physics (within their realm) could produce exact cause and effect predictions if we were able to input all existing physical factors. The lower level Quantum physics cannot make exact predictions but can make statistically predictions. All of these predictions are based on cause and effect and their underlying physical forces, fields and laws.

The ability to predict the consciousness is dependent on the origin and location of the consciousness. If the origin of consciousness is physical and the control of the consciousness is based on physical factors, then we should be able to exactly or statistically predict the consciousness. However if the origin or location of the consciousness lies in another dimension, then we may not be able to predict consciousness. If this other dimension is non-physical, then the 4d laws of physics would not apply. Then I believe we probably would lose any ability to predict the actions of the consciousness.

I did say "if' the origin of consciousness is physical. The emergent theory of consciousness assumes the consciousness as an emergent entity from the brain. This theory is based on the alterations of consciousness when the brain is altered. These alterations definitely demonstrate linkage between the brain and the consciousness. However linkage doesn't demonstrate origin. Dualists assume the brain and consciousness are two separate entities. Assuming the brain and consciousness as two separate entities, we would have the same alteration of consciousness when the brain is altered. So the experimental results of science could equally support either the emergent theory or the dualist theory. Currently science doesn't know the origin of the consciousness. So I try to be careful about limiting understanding of the consciousness by not assuming the emergent theory is proven fact.

Here is an interesting on-line book by a Berkeley professor on consciousness. http://www.thymos.com/tat/title.html
He thoroughly covers the history and current status of consciousness studies. He personally believes the consciousness is a fundamental property of all matter but covers pretty much every theory that has been around since the Greeks. I don't agree with his favorite theory but it is a good and comprehensive read on many consciousness theories.

Well, I'm not the expert but is there some QM type stuff that would negate that claim? Anyone? I guess you're saying that you believe the physical universe to be collapsible to a single equation or rather that a model that could wouldn't be fully explanatory of all natural phenomena since where does consciousness fit in with all that there? I'd agree with that last part, but suspect that there can't really be a single accurate equation by which consciousness couldn't somehow be construed.

Actually no. I don't believe everything is collapsible to a single equation. Quantum physics allows statistical predictions but not exact predictions which rules out the single equation. Also if consciousness is independent of the physical, then "free will" also prevents collapsing everything to a single equation. So I agree with you that there can't be a single accurate equation.

I just had the thought "I am a species of my own.". By that I mean you too. I mean that in a way, mind is an 'integration' (I guess I mean analogous of the relationship of the integral to differentiation) of evolution in that mind itself evolves. It's evolution on top of evolution. Maybe just eh? . hehe.

Hehe. Have you ever considered the reverse? You are looking at the non-physical consciousness as arising from the physical mind. Bearing in mind that spacetime and matter arose from the non-physical energy of the big bang, what might this suggest about the relationship between the non-physical consciousness and the physical brain? Which is more fundamental-the physical or the non-physical? Or which is more fundamental-energy or matter?

What is the composition of consciousness regardless of its location? Is consciousness composed of space, time, matter, energy or some unknown quantity? If consciousness is in a higher dimension, it could be composed of all of the above and we would be unable to detect it. However spacetime and matter do not show the qualities of consciousness within our spacetime. Energy produces the forces and then fields which create and control matter and spacetime. Energy is the driving force and even creator of our physical universe. So could energy also be the driving force of conscious thought within a higher dimension of conscious existence? If so, then consciousness would be energy but undetectable because it is located in a higher dimension. Seems like a reasonable hypothesis assuming we don't have some totally unknown quantity beyond energy, matter and spacetime.

That's an interesting way to see it. I like it. There are slight differences in my view, but they are quite similar. For instance I see consciousness evidently lodged as the 'fifth' dimension, in addition to space-time rather than independent of it. I think the body is the four dimensional conduit to the fifth dimension. Maybe it even literally creates it, rather than just linking to it.. either way it exists because I am. For some time I've argued that it's the experience of meaning (consciousness) that you cannot place into spacetime. I mean... where would you put it? Not the biochemical process... the feeling.

Actually I look at the consciousness in a similar manner.

But I am still struck by the creation of spacetime from the pure energy of the bigbang-the physical from the non-physical. So we have non-physical(bigbang energy) to 4d physical(spacetime/matter) to more non-physical (the consciousness/awareness). What are the commonalities between the non-physical energy of the bigbang and the non-physical consciousness? If they are both pure energy, then they should have commonalities distinct from the 4d physical universe. And they may share a common source or location.

From a physics standpoint, pure energy is distinct. It exists in a region defined by the speed of light. A region where time doesn't exist-thus no beginning nor end. A region where distance doesn't exist. It is a region impossible for matter to reach without first converting to pure energy. If the consciousness is pure energy, it logically should originate and may possibly exist in this same or similar location.

Here is a site discussing the speed of light region based on General Relativity which you might interesting. It discusses the intriguing aspects of timelessness and distanceless existing at the speed of light. Interestingly, energy exists at the speed of light . Also the link below is a quote from the site using a photon (pure energy) to demonstrate existence at the speed of light. Energy does not experience spacetime as we perceive spacetime.

http://www.hotquanta.com/ontime_continued.html

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we extending the traveller's experience to that of light then it appears that photons experience no space or time. Relativistic space-time geometry appears to concur, events that can be connected by a light ray occur with ‘zero’ space-time separation regardless of their physical separation in space. In effect, it would seem that light occupies a time-space no-man’s land in which photons individually experience no space and no time during their transfer from the source to the destination.

If relativity holds, then a photon appears to go from one present to another without experiencing space or time. It just ‘is’, without time or space, very like a ‘time capsule’ of energy frozen in stasis that only ‘comes alive’ when it interacts.
----------------------------------------------------

Would you say that consciousness is the process of abstraction? You see I think the abstract exists but can only be accessed by the condition of consciousness. The "abstract dimension" is really what I'm talking about with all this, but it gets a little jumbled because it's so closely related to consciousness as I've stated.

I don't know. I think you are saying a region of abstract knowledge or information which exists in a higher dimension above the 4d spacetime which is accessed by the consciousness. If you are correct, then the consciousness would not be the source of thought. It simply taps into a source of pre-existing thought if I understand you correctly. Didn't Plato have a similar idea with his perfect "forms".

So basically evolution uses genetics and chemistry to create brains that can access the dimension of abstraction in order to further their understanding of themselves and as such the universe becomes aware of itself.

I agree with the theory of physical evolution producing brains capable of sensing our universe in a unique and powerful manner. But rather than the physical tapping into a higher dimensional non-physical consciousness, I lean towards the consciousness tapping into the physical. I think this is a more logical viewpoint, because the consciousness contains the ability of intention and free will. However the consciousness seems to be locked into the physical, once it links with the body. Of course, the alternative of a physical accident is also possible.

But if there is another dimension in which abstraction or consciousness exists, does the brain create this dimension or has it always existed? If it has always existed, then the consciousness/ abstraction/awareness has always existed independent of the brain in a higher dimension. So then which originates the linkage between the brain and the consciousness? We would have a choice between physical accident or a pre-existing consciousness choosing to link with the body.

Okay so I guess I'm saying it also seems obvious that there is some other "force" that makes stuff alive and drives evolution. What do you think? (pardon, I've just been meandering a bit for the last two paragraphs, just trying to find something new in this)

I agree. I am leaning towards consciousness as an energy in a higher dimension linked with our 4d spacetime. Once I reach the idea of consciousness as energy, then I look at how physics understands energy. Which then leads to the region of pure energy at the speed of light independent of spacetime as an origin of consciousness. Although I am not convinced that the consciousness exists at the speed of light while linked to the brain. I think the linkage moves it out of the speed of light region but still not in our spacetime or it would be perceptible. Which then means, consciousness would be temporarily in a higher dimension while linked with the brain. OR...it remains in the speed of light region but links to the brain-which then perceives existence as filtered and limited by the brain within our spacetime.

For the last three years, I have been interested in the consciousness, light, dimensions and time. I found it very confusing until I reached the point where I know longer believed in the emergent theory. After considering dualism seriously, the consciousness begins to make more sense for me.

And as you can see, I have no problem following wherever dualism may lead no matter how far fetched.

Well, good posts man, nice to 'meet you' so to speak.

Same here, Wes! This is something I can talk about all day. It is definitely interesting and mind expanding whether we am totally wrong or not.

Last edited:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's a more tenuous example. I'm not sure that's valid in that you've assumed that consciousness is non-physical. Again while I mostly agree I don't think that example exactly works. Maybe as an analagy.

Wes. that whole post was attempting to describe a method of change independent of time.

The only way we could have timeless change is if the change is non-physical. I used the consciousness example because I see the consciousness operating in a non-physical manner. If the consciousness could function without a physical body, then it would not require time because its processes are non-physical. The change would be in the increased level of understanding and comprehension of the non-physical consciousness.

Timeless change is an interesting concept. The very first big bang creating spacetime from nothing would have to have a method of timeless change.

I agree that spacetime is independently real with an underlying logic of physical laws. I am just not sure physical spacetime is fundamental to the existence of consciousness.
Hmm.. good point. I suppose you're right. I say however, given the context of the current universe, it is fundamental. As of now, it is logical to assert that known instances of consciousness are necessarily tied to space-time. I'd hold thought that as with all knowledge, that assertion is subject to change.

My understanding is that Newtonian and General Relativity physics (within their realm) could produce exact cause and effect predictions if we were able to input all existing physical factors. The lower level Quantum physics cannot make exact predictions but can make statistically predictions. All of these predictions are based on cause and effect and their underlying physical forces, fields and laws.

Erm, well.. you have to take into account though that the models are admittedly incomplete. In other words that while your undestanding of cause and effect is correct and physicists would agree, they would also agree that at this time the universal models are necessarily incomplete since they are inconsistent with one another depending on the scale of the reaction in question.

The ability to predict the consciousness is dependent on the origin and location of the consciousness. If the origin of consciousness is physical and the control of the consciousness is based on physical factors, then we should be able to exactly or statistically predict the consciousness. However if the origin or location of the consciousness lies in another dimension, then we may not be able to predict consciousness. If this other dimension is non-physical, then the 4d laws of physics would not apply. Then I believe we probably would lose any ability to predict the actions of the consciousness.

Well, what if we determine how to tap into that other dimension?

I did say "if' the origin of consciousness is physical. The emergent theory of consciousness assumes the consciousness as an emergent entity from the brain. This theory is based on the alterations of consciousness when the brain is altered. These alterations definitely demonstrate linkage between the brain and the consciousness. However linkage doesn't demonstrate origin. Dualists assume the brain and consciousness are two separate entities. Assuming the brain and consciousness as two separate entities, we would have the same alteration of consciousness when the brain is altered. So the experimental results of science could equally support either the emergent theory or the dualist theory. Currently science doesn't know the origin of the consciousness. So I try to be careful about limiting understanding of the consciousness by not assuming the emergent theory is proven fact.
Even if it is an emergent property, it is still indicative of another dimension. I'm not sure what you mean by "dualist theory". Maybe your link below explains it.

Here is an interesting on-line book by a Berkeley professor on consciousness. http://www.thymos.com/tat/title.html
He thoroughly covers the history and current status of consciousness studies. He personally believes the consciousness is a fundamental property of all matter but covers pretty much every theory that has been around since the Greeks. I don't agree with his favorite theory but it is a good and comprehensive read on many consciousness theories.
I'll check it out if I can find the time!

Actually no. I don't believe everything is collapsible to a single equation. Quantum physics allows statistical predictions but not exact predictions which rules out the single equation. Also if consciousness is independent of the physical, then "free will" also prevents collapsing everything to a single equation. So I agree with you that there can't be a single accurate equation.
Actually I think there could be, but it couldn't do so unless it took the entire model into account, which might or might not be possible. I don't think you can argue for sure either way.

Hehe. Have you ever considered the reverse? You are looking at the non-physical consciousness as arising from the physical mind. Bearing in mind that spacetime and matter arose from the non-physical energy of the big bang, what might this suggest about the relationship between the non-physical consciousness and the physical brain? Which is more fundamental-the physical or the non-physical? Or which is more fundamental-energy or matter?

Excellent point. The non-physical must necessarily be more fundamental or the big bang could not have happened. (our previous analysis answered that)

What is the composition of consciousness regardless of its location? Is consciousness composed of space, time, matter, energy or some unknown quantity? If consciousness is in a higher dimension, it could be composed of all of the above and we would be unable to detect it. However spacetime and matter do not show the qualities of consciousness within our spacetime. Energy produces the forces and then fields which create and control matter and spacetime. Energy is the driving force and even creator of our physical universe. So could energy also be the driving force of conscious thought within a higher dimension of conscious existence? If so, then consciousness would be energy but undetectable because it is located in a higher dimension. Seems like a reasonable hypothesis assuming we don't have some totally unknown quantity beyond energy, matter and spacetime.
Coult it be that the life-force is the opposite of entropy? I mean, it is all about conservation of energy right and in a sense, entropy stands in violation.

Actually I look at the consciousness in a similar manner.
Scary. ;)

But I am still struck by the creation of spacetime from the pure energy of the bigbang-the physical from the non-physical. So we have non-physical(bigbang energy) to 4d physical(spacetime/matter) to more non-physical (the consciousness/awareness). What are the commonalities between the non-physical energy of the bigbang and the non-physical consciousness? If they are both pure energy, then they should have commonalities distinct from the 4d physical universe. And they may share a common source or location.
Have to think about it some.

From a physics standpoint, pure energy is distinct. It exists in a region defined by the speed of light. A region where time doesn't exist-thus no beginning nor end. A region where distance doesn't exist. It is a region impossible for matter to reach without first converting to pure energy. If the consciousness is pure energy, it logically should originate and may possibly exist in this same or similar location.

Consciousness is the condition of continuous abstraction. This condition is somehow allowed by the activities of brains. Consciousness itself is not really energy, but a process of feedback, a realization and synergy of constructed relationships of abstracts processed and stored by the brain through the lense of consciousness. Or something.

I don't know. I think you are saying a region of abstract knowledge or information which exists in a higher dimension above the 4d spacetime which is accessed by the consciousness. If you are correct, then the consciousness would not be the source of thought. It simply taps into a source of pre-existing thought if I understand you correctly. Didn't Plato have a similar idea with his perfect "forms".

Kind of, it's more to me like that is a degree of freedom. It exists and things can fluctuate within it, but if nothing is fluctuating in it, nothing is there. In other words, until tapped by consciousness, the abstract has exactly zero meaning. That doesn't keep it from being a dimension, as a matter of fact to me it only stregthens the argument.

I agree with the theory of physical evolution producing brains capable of sensing our universe in a unique and powerful manner. But rather than the physical tapping into a higher dimensional non-physical consciousness, I lean towards the consciousness tapping into the physical. I think this is a more logical viewpoint, because the consciousness contains the ability of intention and free will. However the consciousness seems to be locked into the physical, once it links with the body. Of course, the alternative of a physical accident is also possible.

But if there is another dimension in which abstraction or consciousness exists, does the brain create this dimension or has it always existed? If it has always existed, then the consciousness/ abstraction/awareness has always existed independent of the brain in a higher dimension. So then which originates the linkage between the brain and the consciousness? We would have a choice between physical accident or a pre-existing consciousness choosing to link with the body.

Seems to me that it has been present since the beginning of time but there was nothign to utilize it, so it wasn't (utilized) until beings starting thinking. Maybe there were wakes and eddies within it, but I haven't thought it through to know if it's knowable. :) Seems like one of those things where to know it is to effect it so the attempt to observe renderes observation impossible.

I agree. I am leaning towards consciousness as an energy in a higher dimension linked with our 4d spacetime. Once I reach the idea of consciousness as energy, then I look at how physics understands energy. Which then leads to the region of pure energy at the speed of light independent of spacetime as an origin of consciousness. Although I am not convinced that the consciousness exists at the speed of light while linked to the brain. I think the linkage moves it out of the speed of light region but still not in our spacetime or it would be perceptible. Which then means, consciousness would be temporarily in a higher dimension while linked with the brain. OR...it remains in the speed of light region but links to the brain-which then perceives existence as filtered and limited by the brain within our spacetime.
Yeah I don't see how it could be 'moving at the speed of light' or whatever. I think it best left as a 'degree of freedom' or rather indicative thereof.

For the last three years, I have been interested in the consciousness, light, dimensions and time. I found it very confusing until I reached the point where I know longer believed in the emergent theory. After considering dualism seriously, the consciousness begins to make more sense for me.

And as you can see, I have no problem following wherever dualism may lead no matter how far fetched.

I'm sorry but I don't see it as I'm not sure what you mean by "dualism", rather it seems as if you're referring to something more specific than the general definition.

Same here, Wes! This is something I can talk about all day. It is definitely interesting and mind expanding whether we am totally wrong or not.

Agreed, I greatly enjoy exploring these ideas.

wesmorris

yo,

Spacetime is generally discussed as four dimensional. I realize that string theory, etc, propose more dimensionality. I would say that there is at least one more obvious dimension: the mind.

I see what your getting at. We have the following:

Dimension 1: Physical Space (loosely length); x
Dimenstion 2: Physical Space (loosely width); y
Dimiension 3: Physical Space (loosely depth); z
Dimension 4: Physical State (loosely time); t

Your assertion is that Dimension 1 - 4 lead to the creation of
a new 5th Dimension (mind / conciousness). I would say that
this is incorrect as 'mind' does not act as a dimension. Lets take
a look at a 2x2x2x2x2 representation of all dimensions including
mind:

x1...y1...z1...t1...m1
x2...y1...z1...t1...m1
x1...y2...z1...t1...m1
x2...y2...z1...t1...m1
x1...y1...z2...t1...m1
x2...y1...z2...t1...m1
x1...y2...z2...t1...m1
x2...y2...z2...t1...m1
x1...y1...z1...t2...m1
x2...y1...z1...t2...m1
x1...y2...z1...t2...m1
x2...y2...z1...t2...m1
x1...y1...z2...t2...m1
x2...y1...z2...t2...m1
x1...y2...z2...t2...m1
x2...y2...z2...t2...m1
x1...y1...z1...t1...m2
x2...y1...z1...t1...m2
x1...y2...z1...t1...m2
x2...y2...z1...t1...m2
x1...y1...z2...t1...m2
x2...y1...z2...t1...m2
x1...y2...z2...t1...m2
x2...y2...z2...t1...m2
x1...y1...z1...t2...m2
x2...y1...z1...t2...m2
x1...y2...z1...t2...m2
x2...y2...z1...t2...m2
x1...y1...z2...t2...m2
x2...y1...z2...t2...m2
x1...y2...z2...t2...m2
x2...y2...z2...t2...m2

Mind / Conciousness cannot exist without x, y, z, t (at least not
according to our current knowledge) and this would invalidate
the above representation as dimensions are not dependent (at
least not to our current knowledge yet again). I would assert
that mind is actually the result of a function that requires our
4 perceivable dimensions.

m = f(x, y, z, t)

What this would infer is that some or all of those 4 dimensions
actually have additional properties that allow for 'mind' to exist
(some potentially undiscovered properties). From a physical
perspective we both know that the mind mechanically is a
massively complex + dynamic set of chemical reactions; however,
the net result (mind) is paradoxically tangible and intangible at
the same time (hey how about that... another REAL paradox).
This of course would mean that we still have alot to learn about
x, y, z, & t... but thats what makes physics some damn fun.

Just thought I would throw an idea out there. If you are familiar
with the universe model that involves 'symmetry breaking' then I
would hypothesize that 'mind' could be a dimension folded onto
itself (when symmetry broke). In itself it could be a very unique
dimension, but perhaps it's self folding creates a type of event
horizen when pressed upon by the other dimensions x, y, z, & t
allows for the existence of conciousness. Of course that would
be an extremely limited side-effect of the pure dimension (which
makes you wonder that 'm' would be in this hypothetical model).
But... this is just gettin' too weird so I'll stop here.

BTW, I had a similar debate with that IXL777 guy talking about
his conciousness-harmonics idea. I personally think it's
complete and utter drivel. He tried to pass it off as an
explanation for psychic ability. I tried to work with him (just
as you did) and we got this far in terms of defining words he
used:

A) Negative thought patterns of falsehood = falsehood : A deliberate intentional assertion of what is known to be untrue.
B) Deception non sequiter : The perception of something being 'psychobabble' in response to an assertion of what is known to be untrue.
C) Unreality = Spiritual Negative Thought ex. ghosts? : Paranormal phenomena.
D) Disordered reason = Metaphysical thought patterns = Pseudo Intuition : The concept of reality a person maintains after accepting a lie as fact due to successful deceitfulness of the liar.
E) Negative intellectual : Unreality?
G) Realms of harmonics - Undefined.
H) Higher level of consciousness - Undefined; however, it exists within the contexts of soundwave octaves and fifths.

but then he stopped responding (not a real big surprise).

Thanks,

-CC

Last edited:
Re: wesmorris

Originally posted by Crunchy Cat

Hey if you haven't read it, read that exchange between jagger and I and then tell me if you think your comments are still relevant. As I mentioned in there, the "mind" as the dimension is innaccurate as to my meaning. What I mean is that the "abstract" is a dimension. I see consciousness as the act of abstraction. Basically, it is the result of evolution taking advantage of the abstract degree of freedom in order to propagate thought and thusly increase the probability of survival. I can't tell you that evolution is proactive and only say it that way for convenience sake. Anyway, if you still think your analysis is valid with consideration to my correction, please let me know so I can ask you a few questions.

nope... havent read the full conversation yet. I'll take a look and
let ya know vat me thinks.

Originally posted by Crunchy Cat
nope... havent read the full conversation yet. I'll take a look and
let ya know vat me thinks.

Thanks, I appreciate the input. :)

Can I say buddy, that I'm surprised your thread is in this particular forum?

Originally posted by Xevious
Can I say buddy, that I'm surprised your thread is in this particular forum?

Sure you can say that. :) I think I should take it as a compliment?

Regardless I didn't want to offend the physics geeks and I do consider this psuedoscience at this point, though I do believe it has the potential to transcend that status.

Or did you mean the opposite? Should it be recinded to free thoughts? :D

Yeah, I would have more leaned twards free thoughts. THere isn't any way to disprove what you are saying, so yes it is pseudoscience. On the other hand, the Pseudoscience form has become far more associated with the paranormal. Nothing of what you are saying is tied to that subject, unless I missed something somewhere...

Originally posted by Xevious
Yeah, I would have more leaned twards free thoughts. THere isn't any way to disprove what you are saying, so yes it is pseudoscience. On the other hand, the Pseudoscience form has become far more associated with the paranormal. Nothing of what you are saying is tied to that subject, unless I missed something somewhere...

Well I had to put it somewhere and though you're right about the association with the paranormal, it still fits here. It's more than a free thought. I might have worked for general philosophy too, but it's really talking more nature/physics ish rather than straight philosophy.

Regardless, thanks for nothing.

/Mind / Conciousness cannot exist without x, y, z, t (at least not
according to our current knowledge) and this would invalidate
the above representation as dimensions are not dependent (at
least not to our current knowledge yet again). I would assert
that mind is actually the result of a function that requires our
4 perceivable dimensions.

/m = f(x, y, z, t)

You know, I'm so bad (actually I can do it better than average, but I'm not gifted with it, it takes a lot of brute force for me to shove it into my head and keep it straight. I'm far more gifted with verbal reasoning. It's virtually effortless in comparison) at math that it took me a while to process what you've said but now that I think I understand. Good point. Mind is F(x,y,x,t). Well put.

What wigs me out about it though is this function of spacetime can't be exactly placed within space-time in terms on the subjective meaning experienced by a POV. I think you're right. Mind is a function of spacetime, but in a sense I think it transcends it. I mean, the resultant of the function doesn't seem to fit within itself. Mind is more than just spacetime. Is it simulated spacetime within space-time?

/What this would infer is that some or all of those 4 dimensions
actually have additional properties that allow for 'mind' to exist
(some potentially undiscovered properties).

Unless it is as you infer below.

/From a physical perspective we both know that the mind mechanically is a massively complex + dynamic set of chemical reactions; however, the net result (mind) is paradoxically tangible and intangible at the same time (hey how about that... another REAL paradox).

Fine point. Paradox can be real. I've meandered regarding that issue before. Hmm.. wait, why is it paradoxical to be tangible and have intangible elements? Blah, no time to delve deep at the moment.

/This of course would mean that we still have alot to learn about
x, y, z, & t... but thats what makes physics some damn fun.

Indeed.

/Just thought I would throw an idea out there. If you are familiar
with the universe model that involves 'symmetry breaking' then I
would hypothesize that 'mind' could be a dimension folded onto
itself (when symmetry broke). In itself it could be a very unique
dimension, but perhaps it's self folding creates a type of event
horizen when pressed upon by the other dimensions x, y, z, & t
allows for the existence of conciousness. Of course that would
be an extremely limited side-effect of the pure dimension (which
makes you wonder that 'm' would be in this hypothetical model).
But... this is just gettin' too weird so I'll stop here.

Hehe, I'd swear that's very similar to what I've been arguing throughout this thread. I've jacked up the semantics a bit, but if you read through I think I corrected myself on some of it.

Last edited:
Ok, I was following this up until the deep long back and forth between and jagger because I simply don't have the available time to invest in reading it. I would love to, and I think I could add some info, but until I can actually go through and read the entire thing, I'm not going to post on the topic of consciousness, just the topic of a fifth dimension.

Imagine a race of people living on a two dimensional(flat) plane. They would have no concept of what lies above or below it(dimensions 3 and 1). Now, a being from our dimension drops a brick onto their nice flat existence, bowing it in like a trampoline. Their paths would be mysteriously bent toward the object as they approached it, because of it's indentation of their plane, theyw ould not be able to percieve this indentation because they exist solely in the second dimension, right? Wouldn't they attribute their bent paths towards this opbject as sort of an attractive force, like gravity? Though we would be able to perceive that they're wrong in this asumption, due to our vantage point form a higher perspective. There is no such force, the object has only made a valley-like impression on their plane, and that is why all their paths curve torward it.

Einstein used this reasoning(physics, and his massive intellect) to find explain in 1915 that there is no such thing as gravity. We're in the same position of the people in the second dimension. The following is a quote form the book "The Universe Next Door," by Marcus Chown;

"By rights, Earth should be flying through space in a straight line. Instead, it's path is constantly bent toward the Sun so that Earth travels in a near-circle. We attribute this sun-centered motion to a force that the sun exerts on the Earth - the force of gravity.......There is no such force reaching out across empty space. Instead, the Sun creates a valleylike depression in the four-dimensional space-time in it's vicinity, and this is why the Earth's path curves in a circle towards the sun."

Uh, just so no one's unclear, I was just implying that the fifth dimension is actually gravity, or at least the cause of the effects we have mistakenly attributed to gravity.

Back