Lucid Dreams/Paralysis dangerous?

I would be careful if the sleep paralysis keeps happening. My friend of a couple years started having sleep paralysis a while back. After it started to occur more often she decided to make a visit to the doctor. It turned out that she had been having epileptic seizures while she was waking up in the morning. It does not happen too often, but if the paralysis becomes more intense over time or starts to cause a lot of pain, I would go see a physician.

No offence but I totally disagree with the idea of lucid dreams and sleep paralysis having anything to do with surpressed memories. (Maybe I didn't understand your point correctly). Dreams are like thoughts, you mostly can't control them unless you are very lucid. Waking thoughts can't be controlled and you shouldn't try to. People put too much emphasis on dreams and thoughts and try to find a greater meaning behind them where as in truth the mind is just like a tv remote flickering from one channel to another. Obviously there are thoughts that you do have purposely but when we're not paying attention a lot of our thoughts are just random flickering bits of nonsense influenced by none other then that we are a sentient being. Dreams are also normally just flickering bits of random rubbish. This is however only my opinion.

Last edited:
I would be careful if the sleep paralysis keeps happening. My friend of a couple years started having sleep paralysis a while back. After it started to occur more often she decided to make a visit to the doctor. It turned out that she had been having epileptic seizures while she was waking up in the morning. It does not happen too often, but if the paralysis becomes more intense over time or starts to cause a lot of pain, I would go see a physician.

I would agree in the sense that if anything starts to directly influence your well being and state of mind you should always get it checked out. Sleep paralysis and hypnagogic states can also be a symptom of Narcolepsy. That is very rare however and these states can also be influenced by stress, anxiety and poor sleeping habits along with just happening to anybody every now and again. If these things keep occuring then I would agree that it would definitely be worth while to get it checked out.

No offence but I totally disagree with the idea of lucid dreams and sleep paralysis having anything to do with surpressed memories. (Maybe I didn't understand your point correctly). Dreams are like thoughts, you mostly can't control them unless you are very lucid. Waking thoughts can't be controlled and you shouldn't try to. People put too much emphasis on dreams and thoughts and try to find a greater meaning behind them where as in truth the mind is just like a tv remote flickering from one channel to another. Obviously there are thoughts that you do have purposely but when we're not paying attention a lot of our thoughts are just random flickering bits of nonsense influenced by none other then that we are a sentient being. Dreams are also normally just flickering bits of random rubbish. This is however only my opinion.

Dreams are controlled by your subconscious which we can all agree on.

But repressed memories aren't remembered in your conscious mind but in your subconscious. And the only way these kinds of repressed memories could ever come back is through a subconscious operation that affects our senses like dreams do.

So a repressed memory in the subconscious can easily become unsupressed by using your dreams as a sort of gateway.If this sounds like bullshit look up Sigmund Freud the first person to begin to unearth this idea of a subconscious mind that can control dreams and hold repressed memories.

Im not putting much meaning into your average dream

Not every dream is some sort of gateway to a childhood experiance, actually 99.99% of them aren't, but its that .01% that baffles us.

Dreams are controlled by your subconscious which we can all agree on.

But repressed memories aren't remembered in your conscious mind but in your subconscious. And the only way these kinds of repressed memories could ever come back is through a subconscious operation that affects our senses like dreams do.

So a repressed memory in the subconscious can easily become unsupressed by using your dreams as a sort of gateway.If this sounds like bullshit look up Sigmund Freud the first person to begin to unearth this idea of a subconscious mind that can control dreams and hold repressed memories.

I see where you're coming from. I haven't read a lot about Freud but I'm not a fan of his based on my little knowledge of him but I can see what you mean when you say a surpressed memory could somehow find itself mixed into a dream. Our brains aren't logical while we dream so there may be more access to the unconscious. I would just worry as some dreams being interpreted as repressed memories. Some psychologists did a lot of work in the area of trying to help patients retrieve repressed memories and in certain cases there was more damage done then good. I believe in trying to access repressed memories pyschologists unwilling created false memories causing damage to the person and families. Anyway that's a whole other topic :eek:
I would just worry that people would put too much emphasis on dreams and let dreams affect their reality. Anyway I would like to hope that most people are more rational then that. :)

It's true, dreams are created by the dreamer and only rarely can one wake up in a dream.

I still believe that dreams can also receive frequencies outside the body, affecting plot, imagery and so on. I don't know if that's provable....

Im not putting much meaning into your average dream

Not every dream is some sort of gateway to a childhood experiance, actually 99.99% of them aren't, but its that .01% that baffles us.

dude you obviously know nothing about lucid dreaming.

I've had lucid dreams a number of times--really clear dreams where I know exactly what's going on, and I can communicate clearly with the people around me in the dream. However, I can't induce lucid dreaming like some people claim they can. I've had a couple of incidents of dream paralysis as well--glad it was only a couple (including one last night) because they're mighty scary.:(

It's true, dreams are created by the dreamer and only rarely can one wake up in a dream.

I still believe that dreams can also receive frequencies outside the body, affecting plot, imagery and so on. I don't know if that's provable....

On with the old urban myth of sticking someones finger while asleep into a glass of water. Outcome?!?... well it's an urban myth.

dude you obviously know nothing about lucid dreaming.

Dude I know thats not a lucid dream, that was addressing dream paralysis not lucid dreaming.

Also, before freud people thought hitting a guy with a hammer, dunking their heads in cold water and other extremes cured muntal illness.

And to be honest i have lucid dreams pretty often where I am perfectly consciouss in them.

To have a lucid dream the easiest way is to question "hey why is that boulder floating 15 feet in the air" and than you figure out the only way it is possible is if you are dreaming, and once you realize that it doesn't take too long to be able to control what will happen in your dream.

I think it can depend on someones mentality. If someone questions everything, of course they will become lucid dreamers easily because they question the dream. If they don't question anything, not likely.

But this is MY technique to get a lucid dream, anyone can use it, but it is definitely not the ONLY way to get into a lucid dream. It's just the easiest for me.

Though after you get a lucid dream it can get somewhat boring after 15 dreams, because than you have dreams based on your personality so you may find yourself reliving the same dream over and over.

Well when i was little one time I smelled my mom cooking bacon in a dream and woke myself up by closing my eyes (in my dream) real hard. Thought i never have done that again with any smell. But i think you can definitely hear sounds in your dreams and touch too. Think about evolution. Would evolution make us dream so hard we could be eaten alive and never feel it?

No evolution chose those that could still sense changes and threats while asleep.

In my experience with lucid dreams, I tend to get two different kinds; either semi lucid or fully lucid. The fully lucid dreams are not even comparable to the semi lucid ones, and Ill try as best to describe the differences.

The semi lucid dreams I have, I am aware I am dreaming and can control them, but not completely. For example the other night I was dreaming I was on a building which was wobbling and I had to consciously keep it upright. But then I consciously chose to see if I could "ride" the building down to street level by bending it but it was a high building I guess and I could not control the acceleration and crashed and woke up.
(These are the kind of lucid dreams I think most people are talking about when they talk about lucid dreams)

Fully lucid dreams are literally like another reality. In many ways, they seem more real than everyday waking reality. I always wake up just amazed at the reality of the experience. They always seem to be short, but that may just be because I get excited and wake up. In these dreams I can do anything I think of without limits. There is no effort required for things like flying like there is in semi lucid dreams. You just think it and it happens.

EndLightEnd, a lucid dream is ANY kind of dream where you realize you are dreaming. That is it.

A few days ago I had a REALLY WEIRD lucid dream experience.

It's not that I'm not used to having LDs, hell, I really enjoy those, because they give you endless choices to experiment and have fun.

So in one of those dreams I meet a girl, one of my many dream guides in a lucid dreams and she gives me some sort of a lucky charm. It looks like something made of wood... a flat round object with an animal carved into it on one side and egyptian hyrogliphes on the other side. That's when I wake up.

I then remember I have something similar at home, some kind of talisman, a scarabeus wood figurine, a gift from Egypt. The scarabeus is on one side of the flat figurine, the hyrogliphes are on the other side.... just like in the dream. I never really thought of the souvenir as something special, but I still put it under my pillow to see what significance it had.

So the next night I go to bed, with one hand resting on the souvenir. I soon fall asleep and find myself in a lucid dream, some kind of party with most people I know in real life and some I've never seen before. We chat and have fun and as usually, I joke with the people I know in real life, asking them if they're dreaming about me at the moment as well (I know it's silly, but I find it kind of fascinating). My lucid dream soon fades away, I wake up, change my position in bed and fall back asleep again. Strangely enough, I am back in the SAME lucid dream, same place, same people, same debate still going on, people calling "welcome back" to me and I explain to them that I woke up and excused myself for leaving "just like that." So we continue with our party and all the chatting made sense and it was like leading a usual REAL LIFE conversation. Then again. My dream starts fading and I start cursing as I wake up again. It takes a few minutes before I fall asleep again, with nothing special on my mind, but soon enough I'm there again. AS IF I'M CONSTANTLY TRAPPED IN THE SAME LUCID DREAM. Not even a repeating one. No, one that has its own real time and goes on even without me and every time I come back, people greet me again and when I'm about to wake up, they'd be sad.

Same dream setting.
Same people.
Debates folow a logical pattern.
Nothing changes.

I totally freak out and force myself to stay awake the rest of the night. I just felt exhausted and terrified.

Same thing happens the following night. Different setting, but I still keep falling into the same lucid dream, with people there knowing what's going on and welcoming me back every time to continue where we left off. It wasn't all that exciting after the first ... ten times.

I probably don't have to tell you that I put the talisman away again.

What the hell was THAT?

What do the heiroglyphs on the talisman say? Have you had them translated?

On with the old urban myth of sticking someones finger while asleep into a glass of water. Outcome?!?... well it's an urban myth.

I know, we tried that a few years ago with a friend of ours who fell asleep after a few drinks. We put his hand in a bowl of luke-warm water. Result? Nothing--we were most disappointed.:D

Did I say different? I was just emphasizing the different levels of lucidity.

Yep you did and what you emphasized are different levels of dream quality. Lucidity in the context of dreaming is a switch (on or off). You realize you are dreaming or you don't.

Yep you did and what you emphasized are different levels of dream quality. Lucidity in the context of dreaming is a switch (on or off). You realize you are dreaming or you don't.

Find where I said different in my original post. Quote it.

...I tend to get two different kinds; either semi lucid or fully lucid...

This is where you declare two different kinds of lucid dreams. There is only one kind. You are either aware of the dream or not.

The semi lucid dreams I have, I am aware I am dreaming and can control them, but not completely...

This is where you you describe a "type" of lucid dream as requiring a quality of partial control. That would be incorrect as control is not a requirement of lucid dreaming.

(These are the kind of lucid dreams I think most people are talking about when they talk about lucid dreams)

This is where an attempt is made to explicitly define lucid dreaming as requiring a quality of partial control. That would be incorrect as control is not a requirement of lucid dreaming.

Fully lucid dreams are literally like another reality.... I can do anything I think of without limits... You just think it and it happens.

This is where you you describe a "type" of lucid dream as requiring a quality of full control. That would be incorrect as control is not a requirement of lucid dreaming.

Back