Lorentz invariance and the multiverse, possible or not?

Careful Cpt, if you dare stand up to q_w he'll accuse you of being obsessed with him and are unable to leave him alone. :rolleyes:

He and I have been through what you and he are doing now. His ideas are nonsense, vapid and laughable but he honestly thinks he's doing something worthwhile. He's a slightly less batshit crazy version of Pincho, which is like saying someone 3ft tall is slightly taller than someone 2ft 11 inches, they're both still short as ****.

q_w, you've made it obvious you won't look at actual science even when you're led to it or have it put in front of your nose. Whining Cpt isn't explaining mainstream stuff to you is like a man who poked both his eyes out complaining he can't see someone's painting.
AN, you are laughable as ever. I haven’t made it obvious that I won’t look at actual science and I don’t need to be lead to it by you; it is out there for everyone. I’m not whining about Cpt., I’m pointing out that he is as bad an agent for the professional community as you used to be. Defending him is a relapse into your true weakness, not having any self-respect.

Thanks Pincho, but I don’t think CptBork or I are interested in addressing the question of aether theories vs. the current spacetime consensus cosmology right now, but FYI, Mersini-Houghton suggests that the current multiverse theories support a “steady state” inflation model where the nucleating bubbles bring the inflation of the spacetime background to a halt.

CptBork, regardless of my pea brain understanding of Lorentz boosts and your insistence that you, with your cookie cutter education have been given admittance to the secrets of the universe, here is my take of the gist of Mersini-Houghton’s paper and the attached PDF, http://arxiv.org/abs/1106.3542.

She isn’t buying into the pet current multiverse theories typified by Eternal Inflation and her paper explains why, ending with the question expressed in the title, Is Eternal Inflation Eternal. I can’t tell yet if she accepts that ‘steady state’ inflation scenario or if she accepts the idea that the universe has always existed, but she rejects the eternal inflation of the current multiverse models.

In section 1 she explains that in the current multiverse theories, and she is not subscribing to those particular theories, “the interior space of one of these bubbles is assumed to describe our universe”. She is discussing the current multiverse theories. Eternal Inflation theory falls under those current multiverse theories. She says in section 1 that under Eternal Inflation, “There always exists inflating regions of ‘false vacuum’ from which new bubbles of ‘true vacuum’ can potentially nucleate, implying that spacetime consists of thermalized and inflating regions ad infinitum”. She explains that in those current multiverse theories that describe Eternal Inflation theory, “although inflation switches on at some definite moment in the far past (i.e. the theories require a beginning event) it is expected to become future-eternal”. She maintains that the “initial conditions (of the beginning) is defined as the hypersurface at the moment t=t sub 1 when inflation first begins”, i.e. when the beginning occurred.

She does no subscribe to ‘the beginning’ as required by Eternal Inflation. The bubbles defined by those current multiverse theories require initial conditions, a hypersurface in inflating spacetime. She points out that Eternal Inflation merely pushes the beginning further into the past, and under the current theories, the inflation of the higher energy false vacuum of the inflating background gives rise to bubbles that nucleate from the inflating background. There were no initial conditions from which the beginning could occur because as she puts it, “Inflationary spacetimes are not past-complete in the sense that when inflation is traced back in time it cannot be extended eternally to the past, in fact it cannot extend beyond the surface of the initial conditions given by the initial time slice.”

In the first sentence above the correlation between our observable and known universe is assumed to be the interior space of one of the bubble universes that has nucleated from the inflating spacetime background. In the second section of the paper the nucleating process is described and “the interior of a bubble is an open FRW universe”. Our “Big Bang” universe is a bubble in the multiverse.

She describes current theories, “With such a setup, inflation begins at one particular special point in time, t=0, but it is believed that it never ends, i.e. it continues to future infinity”. But then in section 3 she introduces and explores “a new and unexpected consequence of the anisotropy of bubble universe toward the surface of the initial condition: reasons to question the very existence of eternal inflation”. She is clearly not subscribing to the current multiverse theories defined by Eternal Inflation.

In section 4 she points out her position that “the initial conditions problem remains relevant to eternal inflation”. From the last paragraph of section 4: “Eternal inflation seems very difficult to achieve with these initial conditions. They lead to a background preferred frame which breaks the general covariance of the theory, thereby leading to instabilities of a ‘steady state’ inflation, and to the inconsistency of Einstein’s equations.”

She asks, “Could it be inevitable that the beginning of eternal inflation marks an ephemeral end”. And that is why the paper is titled, Is Eternal Inflation Eternal. She doesn’t seem to think so.

CptBork, feel free to comment on my pea brained take on the whole thing. Then move on and pretend that your cookie cutter education has given you admittance to the secret fraternity and share some of the mystically inculcated wisdom you have gained in your years of rigorous study by addressing your take on the paper.

but FYI, Mersini-Houghton suggests that the current multiverse theories support a “steady state” inflation model where the nucleating bubbles bring the inflation of the spacetime background to a halt.

I have a problem picturing this combined with acceleration. Maybe this is beyond the limit of art.

There is so much misrepresentation in what you say that it all boils down to the strawman you are creating about the fundamental definition of Lorentz boost.

Are you saying that my definition was wrong? If not, can you explain how your definition was unambiguously equivalent? Seems even Pincho Paxton doesn't think our definitions of Lorentz boost refer to the same thing.

Even in your example of my assertions you quoted you made a clear amateur mistake. I qualified the particular boost that establishes an event horizon. I said such a boost is actuated by the light speed acceleration of the new bubble. The event horizon is established if the Lorentz boost is at light speed.

In the inflationary model, the observer's boost factor wouldn't determine whether or not an event horizon forms around the universe. And FYI, there's no such thing as a "Lorentz boost to light speed", it's not mathematically defined.

The Lorentz Boost has had its definition modified over time, and that is why both of you are visualizing two different aspects of it.

No, there was only ever one definition of it, just like there's only ever been one definition of a Lorentz transformation, but perhaps Quantum Wave has his own definition, as you infer.

Quantum Wave is thinking back to the Aether being a propagator of energy, and the Lorentz boost being an outcome of Aether interactions. CptBork only reads the final attribute given to it from General Relativity, which was actually a bodge when the Aether couldn't be found. The Aether version creates the Lorentz Boost, General Relativity barely manages to cope with it, or explain it properly.

*Buzzer sound* Nope, way way way off. Lorentz boosts are completely separate from the concept of the Aether, and they were defined more than a decade before General Relativity was ever formulated.

q_w, you've made it obvious you won't look at actual science even when you're led to it or have it put in front of your nose. Whining Cpt isn't explaining mainstream stuff to you is like a man who poked both his eyes out complaining he can't see someone's painting.

And this is one of the chief reasons why I stepped in at this juncture- to point out that serious scientists can indeed propose their own alternative views without being laughed at, provided they make an effort to deal with the technical details instead of trying to conjure everything out of a dream. Hence Mersini-Houghton receives a measure of respect from the scientific community including academic accreditations and funding for her research, but Quantum Wave will not receive any such respect for attempting to extrapolate on a paper he has no means of understanding.

This should all be perfectly fine, given that the alleged purpose of the thread is for QW to expound on his personal views of the universe, while critics are perfectly welcome to point out how it doesn't match in any meaningful way with the work of the scientific community.

This should all be perfectly fine, given that the alleged purpose of the thread is for QW to expound on his personal views of the universe, while critics are perfectly welcome to point out how it doesn't match in any meaningful way with the work of the scientific community.
That is the premise that you fail to support. Your words flow easily but the truth is not in them. Your claim that my assertions could hurt the general public is laughable. You have expressed your view that I am not capable of understanding work of the scientific community.

Let’s see if you are up to supporting that premise. Respond to my post with your take on the gist of Mersini-Houghton’s paper. None of what I said could be true if you are right, and all of what you say should not be easily refuted by me. So let’s put your premise to the test.
Here is my take of the gist of Mersini-Houghton’s paper and the attached PDF, http://arxiv.org/abs/1106.3542.

She isn’t buying into the pet current multiverse theories typified by Eternal Inflation and her paper explains why, ending with the question expressed in the title, Is Eternal Inflation Eternal. I can’t tell yet if she accepts that ‘steady state’ inflation scenario or if she accepts the idea that the universe has always existed, but she rejects the eternal inflation of the current multiverse models.

In section 1 she explains that in the current multiverse theories, and she is not subscribing to those particular theories, “the interior space of one of these bubbles is assumed to describe our universe”. She is discussing the current multiverse theories. Eternal Inflation theory falls under those current multiverse theories. She says in section 1 that under Eternal Inflation, “There always exists inflating regions of ‘false vacuum’ from which new bubbles of ‘true vacuum’ can potentially nucleate, implying that spacetime consists of thermalized and inflating regions ad infinitum”. She explains that in those current multiverse theories that describe Eternal Inflation theory, “although inflation switches on at some definite moment in the far past (i.e. the theories require a beginning event) it is expected to become future-eternal”. She maintains that the “initial conditions (of the beginning) is defined as the hypersurface at the moment t=t sub 1 when inflation first begins”, i.e. when the beginning occurred.

She does no subscribe to ‘the beginning’ as required by Eternal Inflation. The bubbles defined by those current multiverse theories require initial conditions, a hypersurface in inflating spacetime. She points out that Eternal Inflation merely pushes the beginning further into the past, and under the current theories, the inflation of the higher energy false vacuum of the inflating background gives rise to bubbles that nucleate from the inflating background. There were no initial conditions from which the beginning could occur because as she puts it, “Inflationary spacetimes are not past-complete in the sense that when inflation is traced back in time it cannot be extended eternally to the past, in fact it cannot extend beyond the surface of the initial conditions given by the initial time slice.”

In the first sentence above the correlation between our observable and known universe is assumed to be the interior space of one of the bubble universes that has nucleated from the inflating spacetime background. In the second section of the paper the nucleating process is described and “the interior of a bubble is an open FRW universe”. Our “Big Bang” universe is a bubble in the multiverse.

She describes current theories, “With such a setup, inflation begins at one particular special point in time, t=0, but it is believed that it never ends, i.e. it continues to future infinity”. But then in section 3 she introduces and explores “a new and unexpected consequence of the anisotropy of bubble universe toward the surface of the initial condition: reasons to question the very existence of eternal inflation”. She is clearly not subscribing to the current multiverse theories defined by Eternal Inflation.

In section 4 she points out her position that “the initial conditions problem remains relevant to eternal inflation”. From the last paragraph of section 4: “Eternal inflation seems very difficult to achieve with these initial conditions. They lead to a background preferred frame which breaks the general covariance of the theory, thereby leading to instabilities of a ‘steady state’ inflation, and to the inconsistency of Einstein’s equations.”

She asks, “Could it be inevitable that the beginning of eternal inflation marks an ephemeral end”. And that is why the paper is titled, Is Eternal Inflation Eternal. She doesn’t seem to think so.

CptBork, feel free to comment on my pea brained take on the whole thing. Then move on and pretend that your cookie cutter education has given you admittance to the secret fraternity and share some of the mystically inculcated wisdom you have gained in your years of rigorous study by addressing your take on the paper.

Have a go at it.

I haven’t made it obvious that I won’t look at actual science

No, you have made it obvious that you won't look at actual science.

Oh great, I finally get a day at the Maple Pavilion and the parks people have contracted for a remodeling of the nearby restroom facilities. So not only do I have the noise of the work crew’s drills, tile cutters and saws, I have to use a Port-O-Let. Anyway, it is starting out to be a beautiful day at the pavilion otherwise, so I’ll just enjoy the breeze, salt marsh and pine wood forest surrounding the pavilion and tune out the work crew.

I have to address the usage of the term ‘Lorentz boost’ in the context that it is used in Mersini-Houghton’s paper. The word boost, boosts, or boosted appears 44 times in the paper so it is obviously an important concept. Since no one who doesn’t have an attitude has offered to help me understand it let me start by quoting from post #50
QW said:
what I understand is that Lorentz boosts tie the standard cosmology (maybe you call the consensus the Lambda-CDM concordance model) to the current views of the multiverse. The current consensus is an inflationary model which, in the alternatives discussed by Mersini, is one bubble in the multiverse. Lorentz boosts initiate the bubbles and each boost nucleates from the initial conditions which are discussed in the Eternal Inflation model. She explains that the current multiverse models differentiate the bubbles from the inflationary spacetime landscape by referring to them as ‘true vacuum’ of lower energy while the inflating background is called the ‘false vacuum’ and is of higher energy.
And from post #39

Back to my question from a few posts ago about how Mersini uses the concept of Lorentz boost and Lorentz invariance and covariance.

Her reference to Lorentz boosts corresponds to the event the represents the initial conditions of a new bubble universe. Correspondingly, I equate her use of the term Lorentz boost to the concept of multiple big bangs. Using that interpretation each Big Bang gives a Lorentz boost to the new bubble (or arena in my terminology) that establishes an event horizon actuated by the light speed acceleration of the new bubble (Big Bang).
From post #51
That doesn't in itself explain what a Lorentz boost is. It's a very simple concept which is rather straightforward to describe in layman's terms, and it doesn't require any knowledge of cosmology to explain, so I'm inviting you to take another shot at defining it. Your answer would be a means of gauging how well you can personally understand papers like this without digging into the math and technical background.
And from post #55
A Lorentz boost is the operation of converting the description of a system from one observer's coordinate frame to the frame of another observer moving at some velocity relative to the first observer. Boosting a system to some velocity literally means you take the description of the system in some initial "rest" frame and then calculate what that description would be if the system were moving with said velocity relative to the chosen initial frame. …
It is like pulling teeth to get people like CptBork to participate and I shouldn’t give them such a hard time when they do. However, Bork is very dismissive of the uneducated and unwashed and so he has the same forum persona as AN. Both respond to me with egotistical and haughty attitudes, throwing around ad homs like “idiot” and “crank”. That is the reason I give them a hard time when they grace my threads with their presence.

However, rarely if ever in my extensive wasted time on forums over the past 10 years have I failed to heed what those obnoxious and deceitful types have said. And in spite of the general impression that they and their plethora of lackeys over time like to paint, my understanding of cosmology continually grows. The assertion that I am not interested in the real science is foolish and I write off those who say that as fools.

Bork could simply have participated in thread by offering the definition of Lorentz boost as part of the discussion. But no, he was intent on advancing is agenda of painting uneducated people as too dumb to appreciate science.

I will say that using his begrudgingly and disparagingly coughed up definition of Lorentz boost it does aid in understand the term as used by Mersini-Houghton.

My initial vague understanding of the term Lorentz boost found me saying: I equate her use of the term Lorentz boost to the concept of multiple big bangs. Using that interpretation each Big Bang gives a Lorentz boost to the new bubble (or arena in my terminology) that establishes an event horizon actuated by the light speed acceleration of the new bubble (Big Bang).

As Bork points out, using his definition my usage is unclear and undefined. Read the following portions of Mersini’s paper with this definition in mind and you will get a much clearer understanding of the term defined as: Lorentz boost = A Lorentz boost is the operation of converting the description of a system from one observer's coordinate frame to the frame of another observer moving at some velocity relative to the first observer. Boosting a system to some velocity literally means you take the description of the system in some initial "rest" frame and then calculate what that description would be if the system were moving with said velocity relative to the chosen initial frame.

The following might not copy over to the forum format very well but I think it will include every instance where boost was mentioned:

Abstract
1) Bubble universes nucleating
close to the initial conditions hypersurface have the largest Lorentz boosts and experience the
highest anisotropy. Consequently, their probability to collide upon formation is one.

Section 1
2) The location
dependent ’memory’ of the initial conditions and the
anisotropic distribution of bubbles [11, 15] is a function
of the boost factor of the observer with respect
to the initial conditions surface.

Section 2
3, 4, & 5) If an observer is positioned at some ξ = ξobs along Z
we can always bring this point to ξ′
obs = 0 by using the
Lorentz boost to transform to the observer’s frame.
The new coordinates in the boosted frame are
V ′ = γ (V − βZ) , Z′ = γ (Z − βV )
and, X′
i = Xi,W′ = W
where the relativistic boost factor γ = 1
(1−β2)1/2 is
γ = cosh(ξobs) and velocity β = tanh(ξobs).

6) The key point for our purposes, elaborated in Sec.3,
is that in its boosted frame the observer at ξ′
obs = 0
will see the initial conditions surface ai = a(ti) = 0
tilted to a new position a′
i = a′(ti) < 0 such that this
surface now cuts through and occupies portions of the
contracting phase [11].

7) The anisotropy per unit solid angle
depends on the position of the observer (θ′, ξobs) and
generally on the observer’s proper time τ from the initial
surface. Notice that the 4−volume diverges when
the boost γ becomes large.

Section 3
8-40) 3. Past and Future Incompleteness of Inflation
due to the Initial Conditions
An observer stationed at ξobs or a bubble nucleating
at that point, will experience uniform acceleration relative
to the preferred frame of the background. The
observer’s velocity relative to the preferred frame is
given by β = v/c with a Lorentz factor γ = 1/(1−β2)1/2 .

The observer’s proper time, τ, measured from the initial
conditions surface, is estimated from the Lorentz
factor γ [12] as
τ =
ln_γ + 1
γ − 1_ (8)
Observers have their velocities relative to the comoving
geodesic observer, redshifted by the scale factor
a(t) such that v ≃ 1
a(t) . In the far future (large
t, τ ) they align with the comoving observers of the
geodesics for t → +∞ since v → 0 . The Lorentz factor
with respect to the preferred frame can be found
from Eqns.(2, 4) through the expression, γ = dt
dτ ,
which for small τ → 0 becomes γ ≃ cosh(ξobs). From
Eqn.(8) it can be seen that in the limit of a large
proper time τ → +∞ from the I.C. surface, the
Lorentz factor tends to its minimum, γ → 1, because
in the limit τ → +∞, the velocity of bubbles nucleating
or observers located far from the initial conditions
surface relative to the preferred frame vanishes,
β = v
c → 0. From β2 = (1 − 1
γ2 ) ≃ 0 we thus have
γ ≃ 1.
The probability of collisions per unit time and unit
angle [11, 15] is proportional to the differential spacetime
4−volume, (Eqn.(6) )
λdV4
dτd′ =
λ
γ (1 + βcosθ′)) (9)
and it is clearly anisotropic. Here θ′ indicates the
direction of observation in the boosted coordinates.
The anisotropy towards the initial conditions surface
and in the observed distribution of bubble nucleations
and collisions [11, 15], depends on the location of the
observer, (ξobs, θ′, τ) since the location of the observer
determines the boost factor γ. The anisotropy disappears
only in the limit of large proper time τ → +∞,
since the vanishing velocities β ≃ 1
a(t) ≃ 0 there (discussed
above), align the boosted frame with the background
preferred frame.
We are interested to find out what happens to the
anisotropy in the limit of small proper time, τ ≃ ǫ ≪
1. At this stage, it important to notice that although
the boost factor is bound from below in the limit of
large proper times, (γ ≃ 1 and β ≃ 0 for τ ≃ ∞),
the boost γ becomes unbounded from above. With
this in mind, let us investigate the regime where the
boost, γ, may diverge: the regime of observers or
bubbles nucleating near the initial conditions surface,
τ ≪ 1. The initial conditions for eternal inflation at
t = ti = −∞ where the scale factor ai = a(ti) = 0,
make the assumption that no bubbles nucleate on the
surface ai = 0 or τ = 0. However bubbles can start
nucleating at some very small proper time, just ǫ ≪ 1
away from the initial conditions surface, τ = 0+ǫ ≪ 1.
Such initial conditions are artificial and lead to inconsistencies
of the theory as explained in Sec.4. The
key point here is that from Eqn.(8), observers stationed
only a small proper time from the initial conditions
surface, clearly have unbounded boost factors
γ → +∞ and large velocities β → 1, since in the limit
τ ≃ ǫ ≪ 1 the boost is given by
γ ≃ 1 +
ǫ
(10)
Thus γ → ∞ for ǫ → 0. Physically, the large velocity
and boost are due to the blueshifting effect from
geodesics convergence, as the initial conditions singularity
is approached (for τ → 0). For this reason,
a bubble nucleating, for example along Z, at
some small proper time τ = 0 + ǫ distance from the
initial conditions surface, will have a a very large
Lorentz boost γ ≃ cosh(ξobs) → +∞ and large velocity
β ≃ tanh(ξobs) → 1. A diverging relativis-
tic boost factor γ leads to a diverging 4−volume in
Eqn.(9), therefore to a probability one of bubble de-
struction from Eqn.(6) and the end of eternal inflation
This problem arises from the fact that observers located
near the initial conditions surface, with their
large relativistic boost factor γ, experience a highly
tilted initial conditions surface a′
i in their boosted
frame [11, 15]. In fact, their tilted I.C. surface a′
i
can be negative a′
i ≤ 0. The nearer the observer is to
the initial surface, then the larger their boost γ and
velocity β are. But, as shown in Eqn.(12) below, the
larger their boosts and velocities then the more negative
values their tilted I.C. surface a′
i ≤ 0 scans. Negative
values of a′ simply mean that, in the observer’s
boosted frame, the I.C. surface a′ cuts below the original
initial conditions ai = 0 boundary of eternal inflation
that separated inflating from contracting phases
of the global DeSitter geometry. Observers with the
tilted initial conditions surface, such that a′ < 0, thus
invade portions of the thermalized regions from the
contracting DS spacetime, which were ’forbidden’ by
the inflationary cutoff ai = 0. Since observers near
the initial conditions surface ai = 0 have larger boosts
γ then they cover larger volumes of the thermalized
spacetime region originally cut off from the inflationary
chart, than the faraway observers with vanishing
β’s and small boosts γ ≃ 1 . The relation between
the boost factor of the observer γ and the volume of
the noninflationary DeSitter region being scanned by
them, is problematic. This relation can be quantified
by recalling that the initial conditions surface at
˜ti = 0, ti = −∞, that separates the inflationary phase
from the contracting phase in the DS spacetime, is
given by the constraint V +W = ai. In the observer’s
boosted frame with coordinates
V ′ = γ [V − βZ] , Z′ = γ [Z − βV ] (11)
the initial conditions surface a′(ti) ’seen’ by the observer
becomes
a′ = V ′ +W′ = −βZ′ − γ−1 − 1_W′ ≤ 0 (12)
which is obtained from γ[V ′ + βZ′] = −W′. It
can be seen from Eqn.(12) that in its boosted frame,
the observer’s past light cone occupies a portion of
the contracting DS spacetime below the boundary for
eternal inflation ai = 0, (Fig.2.a), which was originally
cut off by the initial conditions boundary W = −V .
So, the larger the observer’s velocity β, the more tilted
a′
i becomes, implying that the more of the contracting
spacetime is invaded by the observer’s frame. But,
larger velocities relative to the preferred frame correspond
to observers and bubbles located near eternal
inflation’s surface of the initial conditions τ ≃ 0
from ai = 0. In short, the closer an observer is to
inflations’s initial conditions, the more of the ’forbidden’
spacetime region below the inflationary boundary
their chart occupies.
The tilting of the initial conditions surface and the
DS geometry as seen by the boosted frame are illustrated
in Fig.2. The hyperboloid of Fig.2.a shows the
global DS geometry obtained from Einstein equations.
The contracting and expanding phases are separated
at ˜ti = 0, ti = −∞ by the initial conditions surface
ai = eti = 0 indicated by the diagonal plane in Fig.2.a.
DS geometry as seen by the boosted observer is shown
in Fig.2.b. It can be seen that the initial conditions
plane a′
i ≤ 0 in the boosted frame is now tilted to
a new position. In Fig.2.c the DS spacetime of case
(b) seen by the observer in the boosted frame is superimposed
to the global DS geometry of Fig.2.a in
order to compare how much of the thermalized region
the boosted observer’s chart invades. The two global
phases in Fig.2.c are colored, red for the inflationary
half of the spacetime and blue for the contracting part.
For the case of a boost with β ≃ 0.9 depicted in Fig.2,
it can be seen that the tilted I.C. plane a′
i cuts below
the boundary of inflation ai = 0 and covers a large
part of the contracting spacetime (blue). The boosted
observer can thus come in contact with the ’forbidden’
(blue) thermalized regions of spacetime, initially cut
off from the inflationary chart via the I.C. boundary
ai = 0.
Why is the anisotropy towards the initial conditions,
experienced by the observers as a′
i ≤ 0, problematic
to the continuation of inflation? As we now
demonstrate, due to a′
i < 0, inflation can not be
future-eternal, instead it ends soon after the first bubbles
that form near the initial conditions surface. The
trouble comes from the fact that the volume of spacetime
below the global I.C. surface ai = 0, is completely
thermalized with no inflationary regions left since it
corresponds to the end of the contracting phase of
DeSitter (DS) geometry. Towards the end of the DS
contracting phase, (just below the ai = 0 boundary),
spacetime has contracted to its minimum size
near the boundary, all the bubbles have merged, have
grown to fill the whole spacetime, and thermalized.
From Eqn.(8) we know that bubbles forming near the
I.C. surface, with τ ≃ 0, have unbounded relativistic
boosts γ → +∞ and large velocities β = v
c → 1.
But in this limit γ → +∞, their 4− volume per unit
time and solid angle diverges when the boost is large
γ ≃ +∞ as follows from Eqn.(9). From Eqn.(5), a
diverging volume means that their probability to get
hit by the thermalized regions and other bubbles is
one. A diverging spacetime 4− volume of the highly
boosted observers γ ≫ 1, implies that the boosted
frame a′
i < 0 occupies too much of the contracting
DS phase in the global DS spacetime. Consequently,
the first bubbles that form near the I.C. surface soon
after the onset of infation, collide and are destroyed
immediately upon formation, with probability one.
All observers near the initial conditions region (with
proper time τ ≃ 0) have diverging boosts and velocities,
γ → +∞, v → c, as can be seen from Eqn.(10)
for the limit τ ≃ ǫ ≪ 1 in Eqn.(8). Therefore they
have highly tilted initial conditions surfaces a′
i < 0
allowing them to invade too much of the thermalized
region below the onset of inflation. According to
Eqn.(12) then, all bubbles near the onset of inflation
get hit with other bubbles upon formation and with
the thermalized regions originally not covered by the
eternal inflation spacetime, (regions below the initial
boundary ai = 0), resulting from Eqn.(9) and Eqn.(5).
Then inflation ends soon after the onset, and eternal
inflation becomes unlikely to be realized. As can be
seen, the problems stemming from the choice of initial
conditions in these scenarios are in close analogy with
the transplanckian problem of Hawking radiation in
which the frequency of the wavepackets is infinitely
blueshifted near the horizon.
Such an instability of the theory, the end of eternal
inflation, is a direct consequence of the choice of the
initial conditions, and it reflects the underlying nonlocal
relationship between the preferred frame (seen
as a′
i by the observer) and the inflationary metric,
Eqn.(12) with its initial conditions (fixed at ai = 0).

Section 4 Discussion
41 & 42)
Let us probe into the origin of these unexpected
difficulties in achieving future eternal inflation. Physically,
introducing a cutoff in the theory by imposing
the inflationary initial conditions at some special
time-slice, W = −V or equivalently ai = 0, leads to a
preferred frame that breaks Lorentz invariance. More
importantly the stationary (t = ti) preferred frame
of the inflationary background breaks the general covariance
of the theory [19], i.e. the consistency of the
Einstein Equations. As a result, observers with unbounded
Lorentz boosts γ positioned near the initial
conditions hypersurface, can scan portions of the ’forbidden’
contracting part of the DS spacetime below
the I.C. boundary W +V < 0. That part of the global
spacetime originally separated from the inflationary
region by imposing the initial conditions boundary, is
all thermalized. With probability one, bubbles near
the initial conditions region, with small proper distances
τ ≃ ǫ ≪ 1 thus large boosts γ ≃ 1
ǫ , Eqn.(10),
invade the thermalized regions originally exluded from
the inflationary spacetime via the boundary ai. Immediately
upon formation they get destroyed and inflation ends.
The root of the problem here lies in the
breaking of general covariance of this theory by the
I.C. of eternal inflation: near the I.C. surface, Einstein
Equations Gab = κTab are not satisfied since the
the divergence of the Einstein tensor and the stressenergy
tensor do not vanish, i.e. Bianchi identity is
not satisfied.

Figure 2 description
43 & 44)
IG. 2: (a) Global DS Spacetime with the Initial Condi-
tions surface ai separating the Inflating phase (upper half)
from the Contracting phase (bottom half). (b) The second
geometry indicates the global DS geometry in the boosted
frame of the observer. Notice the tilted initial conditions
surface a′
i the observer ’sees’. (c) The third DS spacetime
depicts the observers tilted boundary a′
i relative to ai. In-
flationary phase in (c) is in red and contracting phase in
blue and the 450 plane is ai = 0 separating the two phases.
We can see in (c) how much of the contracting (blue) DS
phase the observer’s boosted frame covers due to the ini-
tial boundary a′
i ≤ 0 piercing below the inflation’s initial
conditions ai = 0. The diagram is plotted for the repre-
sentative value _ ≃ 0.9.
[End of cut and paste]

Lol, it almost seems like I just pasted the whole paper but really, it is only the parts pertinent to the usage of "Lorentz boost".

I wanted to put it in the thread for reference because I often refer back to my threads to refresh my memory.

Last edited:
It is like pulling teeth to get people like CptBork to participate and I shouldn’t give them such a hard time when they do.

No, you really shouldn't- it doesn't reflect well on your persona nor your arguments.

However, Bork is very dismissive of the uneducated and unwashed and so he has the same forum persona as AN.

I dismiss anyone who can't substantiate their arguments and instead resorts to ad hominem attacks when criticized. Your personal views don't connect in any meaningful way to existing theory nor to experiment. It's all nice to come up with a picture of the universe or a Star Trek plot which seems plausible/"realistic" to you, and hey let's say you had some math skills and actually developed a model which includes electrons interacting by something analogous to the electromagnetic force. If it then turns out that your predicted electron mass is 1000X greater than the actual mass, then something is seriously wrong with your hypothesis and you either need to adjust it or discard it altogether. Since you openly admit to not having the math background (and, by extension, no means of possessing a solid physics background either), you'd have no way of knowing to what extent your personal "reasonable and responsible speculation" actually corresponds to anything in the real world.

Both respond to me with egotistical and haughty attitudes, throwing around ad homs like “idiot” and “crank”.

You want to talk about false accusations and rule violations? Ok then, please quote me where I personally referred to you as an idiot or crank.

The assertion that I am not interested in the real science is foolish and I write off those who say that as fools.

Real science involves mathematics, pattern correlation and experimentation, which do not interest you as you have openly asserted. Attempting to make or contribute to discoveries on the cutting edge of modern science without the technical background is like trying to repave a highway with a spoon.

Bork could simply have participated in thread by offering the definition of Lorentz boost as part of the discussion. But no, he was intent on advancing is agenda of painting uneducated people as too dumb to appreciate science.

I offered you at least two opportunities to show that you knew what you were talking about when speculating on Lorentz boosts, and after you passed on those opportunities, I felt compelled to provide a simple definition. You could have just looked it up on Google if you wanted to avoid the embarrassment of having it spoonfed to you.

I will say that using his begrudgingly and disparagingly coughed up definition of Lorentz boost it does aid in understand the term as used by Mersini-Houghton.

Well there you go, I just did you a huge favour and substantially enhanced your personal understanding. It wasn't begrudging at all per se- as I said before, I wanted to give you a fair chance to demonstrate that you didn't need me to lay it out for you.

No, you really shouldn't- it doesn't reflect well on your persona nor your arguments.
You don't understand my personna. You don't build a forum image overnight. It takes a long time and much effort to build how you want to be seen. On the same note, it also takes a long time to change how you are seen in the forum. Fortunately no one cares what I think which should make you happy.
I dismiss anyone who can't substantiate their arguments and instead resorts to ad hominem attacks when criticized. Your personal views don't connect in any meaningful way to existing theory nor to experiment. It's all nice to come up with a picture of the universe or a Star Trek plot which seems plausible/"realistic" to you, and hey let's say you had some math skills and actually developed a model which includes electrons interacting by something analogous to the electromagnetic force. If it then turns out that your predicted electron mass is 1000X greater than the actual mass, then something is seriously wrong with your hypothesis and you either need to adjust it or discard it altogether. Since you openly admit to not having the math background (and, by extension, no means of possessing a solid physics background either), you'd have no way of knowing to what extent your personal "reasonable and responsible speculation" actually corresponds to anything in the real world.
I always appreciate it when someone can show that any of my pea brained statements are not true. You mistakenly equate personal views that don't connect in any meaningful way to existing theory nor to experiment as being wrong. You need to show the known science that proves them wrong. Trying to do that is not as easy as correcting me on the definition of Lorentz boost.
You want to talk about false accusations and rule violations? Ok then, please quote me where I personally referred to you as an idiot or crank.
Do you consider me an idiot or a crank?
Real science involves mathematics, pattern correlation and experimentation, which do not interest you as you have openly asserted. Attempting to make or contribute to discoveries on the cutting edge of modern science without the technical background is like trying to repave a highway with a spoon.
Two gross mistakes in that paragraph. One, you have no appreciation for what degree I am interested in mathematics, pattern correlation and experimentation. I don't care if you think I know nothing about math or science. You are wrong but I won't debate it with you or AN because there is nothing I can say that will get through your conceptions of me and I am fine with your conception of me as an idiot or crank if that is what you want to think.
I offered you at least two opportunities to show that you knew what you were talking about when speculating on Lorentz boosts, and after you passed on those opportunities, I felt compelled to provide a simple definition. You could have just looked it up on Google if you wanted to avoid the embarrassment of having it spoonfed to you.
You think I was embarrassed? I wasn't. If you say I should have been then why aren't you embarrassed for not just offering it up as part of the discussion?
Well there you go, I just did you a huge favour and substantially enhanced your personal understanding. It wasn't begrudging at all per se- as I said before, I wanted to give you a fair chance to demonstrate that you didn't need me to lay it out for you.
I do need good agents from the professional community to lay it out for me when I'm wrong. I find that the bad agents are more likely to do that to prove that their representation of me is correct. Either way it works for me.

Last edited:
Public service:
Translation of quantum_wave said:
The big bang created an alternate universe that is entirely made of cheese, caused by Lorentz boosts. Bad agents cannot offer any scientific proof that I'm wrong. Bad agents are intimidated by the fact I don't know what a Lorentz boost is while still being able to probe the limits of their knowledge with my cheese theory.

But I don't really care if I'm right or wrong, as long as I get some attention. I like attention.

Public service:Originally Posted by Translation of quantum_wave
The big bang created an alternate universe that is entirely made of cheese, caused by Lorentz boosts. Bad agents cannot offer any scientific proof that I'm wrong. Bad agents are intimidated by the fact I don't know what a Lorentz boost is while still being able to probe the limits of their knowledge with my cheese theory.

But I don't really care if I'm right or wrong, as long as I get some attention. I like attention.
Good puppy.

You don't understand my personna. You don't build a forum image overnight. It takes a long time and much effort to build how you want to be seen. On the same note, it also takes a long time to change how you are seen in the forum.

I don't pretend to know what you're like in general- all I'm saying is that you leave a bad impression if you start resorting to ad homs, and since none of us (presumably) know much about you, first impressions count for a lot.

Fortunately no one cares what I think which should make you happy.

Not many people care about your speculations on what might lie beyond the bounds of our existing physical knowledge, and not many people would care about my speculations either. If you want to discuss science that's already well-established, lots of people here will take you up on the offer.

You mistakenly equate personal views that don't connect in any meaningful way to existing theory nor to experiment as being wrong. You need to show the known science that proves them wrong.

You could hypothesize a flying spaghetti monster as the ultimate cause, and I still wouldn't be able to prove you wrong. I never said your views about the universe are wrong, only that they have no connection to existing scientific theory and experiment.

Do you consider me an idiot or a crank?

Insofar as you openly accept that your personal views beyond established science are completely blind guesses, I wouldn't consider you a crank or an idiot. If you were to assert that the fundamental laws of the universe were hard-coded into your conscious awareness from the moment of your birth, as if you could deduce them even in a coma, then I would definitely consider you to be a crank.

Two gross mistakes in that paragraph. One, you have no appreciation for what degree I am interested in mathematics, pattern correlation and experimentation. I don't care if you think I know nothing about math or science.

Well by your own account, you have no interest in applying any such techniques to your own attempts at cosmological speculation. What your actual math and physical background is, I have absolutely no idea, but I haven't seen you demonstrate anything substantial, you consistently call yourself a "pea brain" as an excuse for not dealing with the technical intricacies, and your labeling of my education as "cookie cutter" doesn't indicate you have much interest in these subjects.

You are wrong but I won't debate it with you or AN because there is nothing I can say that will get through your conceptions of me and I am fine with your conception of me as an idiot or crank if that is what you want to think.

You could change our views if you demonstrated some of your math and physics skills, i.e. solving a couple of challenge problems or explaining some advanced scientific concepts (properly) in your own wording.

I do need good agents from the professional community to lay it out for me when I'm wrong. I find that the bad agents are more likely to do that to prove that their representation of me is correct. Either way it works for me.

Ok, so then why don't you construct a fictional conversation for us where you can demonstrate how it is you want your errors to be corrected in a "friendly" way?

I don't pretend to know what you're like in general- all I'm saying is that you leave a bad impression if you start resorting to ad homs, and since none of us (presumably) know much about you, first impressions count for a lot.

Not many people care about your speculations on what might lie beyond the bounds of our existing physical knowledge, and not many people would care about my speculations either. If you want to discuss science that's already well-established, lots of people here will take you up on the offer.

You could hypothesize a flying spaghetti monster as the ultimate cause, and I still wouldn't be able to prove you wrong. I never said your views about the universe are wrong, only that they have no connection to existing scientific theory and experiment.

Insofar as you openly accept that your personal views beyond established science are completely blind guesses, I wouldn't consider you a crank or an idiot. If you were to assert that the fundamental laws of the universe were hard-coded into your conscious awareness from the moment of your birth, as if you could deduce them even in a coma, then I would definitely consider you to be a crank.

Well by your own account, you have no interest in applying any such techniques to your own attempts at cosmological speculation. What your actual math and physical background is, I have absolutely no idea, but I haven't seen you demonstrate anything substantial, you consistently call yourself a "pea brain" as an excuse for not dealing with the technical intricacies, and your labeling of my education as "cookie cutter" doesn't indicate you have much interest in these subjects.

You could change our views if you demonstrated some of your math and physics skills, i.e. solving a couple of challenge problems or explaining some advanced scientific concepts (properly) in your own wording.

Ok, so then why don't you construct a fictional conversation for us where you can demonstrate how it is you want your errors to be corrected in a "friendly" way?
I can appreciate your views and the time you put into dealing with my threads and me. We are from two different worlds when it comes to science. I know the current limits of science in regard to being able to observe the universe, micro and macro. I am abreast of the popular media and information available to layman. I focus on the problems with theories and when the problems cannot be resolved I keep an open mind and at the same time I look at what the possible solutions might be.

You have questioned me once or twice on what I call 'reasonable and responsible' speculation and who the final arbiter of it is . I don't know if we can ever come to agree on that and either way it is not science when I do it so where is the argument? I'm not into blind guesses or flying spaghetti monsters and I'm not operating this thread to expound on my speculations. We can do that on the QWC thread all you want.

Last edited:
Being an interested cosmology hobbyist and a deluded pea brain at the same time has it merits when it comes to papers like this that are written and reviewed by members of the scientific community. One of the merits is that I don’t have to accept the underlying spacetime cosmology like those in the community must. Cpt says that if I don’t seek or employ a proficiency with the mathematical concepts that support the paper (and the concepts in the standard cosmology that are very much central to the content of the paper) then I can never appreciate what the paper really says or means in the context of the professional physicists and mathematicians.

It really boils down to my lack of appreciation for spacetime itself. That is correct, I don’t appreciate it. No need for me to try to justify my view because I’m a hobbyist. All I have to do is start from my own personal recognition of the observations of the universe and describe my own view of cosmology that doesn’t need spacetime. I use variable energy density and a maximum energy density limit; none of this singularity math and physics necessary in my rabbit hole, lol. Those two things, energy density and a natural limit to the maximum possible energy density seem to be able to explain observations of motion no matter how relativistic it is as long as we acknowledge that nothing can be accelerated to the speed of light in a given energy density environment. Energy density is a physical aspect of all environments and all systems that govern the opposing forces of expansion and contraction of energy density environments.

Energy density may lead me down my personal rabbit hole but it doesn’t lead down the rabbit hole of incompatibility between the current standard macro and micro theories and it negates the “Many Worlds” view of quantum mechanics which is a whopper of a rabbit hole itself, lol.

Anyway, what I have taken from my pea brained review of Mersini-Houghton’s paper is that in the field of advance theoretical physics where the current multiverse cosmologies are tossed around, she has presented a reasonable and responsible paper that concludes that Eternal Inflation isn’t eternal and, “instead of continuing eternally inflation ends soon after it starts.” She sums it up with, “The difficulty in actualizing eternal inflation originates from the breaking of two underlying symmetries: Lorentz invariance and the general covariance of the theory which lead to an inconsistency of Einstein equations.”

I take her conclusion to mean that there is at least one team of reputable researchers who don’t insist on the underlying symmetries, i.e. who support the view that the question in the title of this thread can be answered in the affirmative, it is possible for the multiverse to exist without complying with what she refers to as the symmetries of Lorentz invariance and general covariance.

Last edited:
Can we envision the landscape of the current multiverse theories or are all those bubbles and all that Lorentz boosting beyond the visualization abilities of the laymen? Is there a contiguous space out there where all this eternal inflation and the populating of the multiverse with nucleating bubbles is happening or are the bubbles independent and inaccessible from one another? Are the bubbles inside the inflating spacetime or are they in some contracting De Sitter spacetime somehow on the other side of the cone as seen from some boosted observer?

The view that there is no spacetime and just potentially infinite three dimensional space out there (where time simply passes and where nucleating bubbles in spacetime are not really there at all) makes way for the expanding “big bang” arenas like ours that have preconditions and that play out by intersecting and overlapping across the landscape of the greater universe as in the scenario which I referred to in the opening post.

Can we envision the landscape of the current multiverse theories or are all those bubbles and all that Lorentz boosting beyond the visualization abilities of the laymen? Is there a contiguous space out there where all this eternal inflation and the populating of the multiverse with nucleating bubbles is happening or are the bubbles independent and inaccessible from one another? Are the bubbles inside the inflating spacetime or are they in some contracting De Sitter spacetime somehow on the other side of the cone as seen from some boosted observer?

The view that there is no spacetime and just potentially infinite three dimensional space out there (where time simply passes and where nucleating bubbles in spacetime are not really there at all) makes way for the expanding “big bang” arenas like ours that have preconditions and that play out by intersecting and overlapping across the landscape of the greater universe as in the scenario which I referred to in the opening post.

Seems to me that the bubbles are pretty much proven, and being as I had such a hard time explaining them in 2004, I would say that there are not many people who can visualise beyond what they are told to visualise. The bubbles should be thought of as the dips in a golf ball expanding in a flat space. You don't need the big bang with infinite bubbles, the big bang idea is to place matter where you need it, but if the matter is already there you don't need the big bang... you need the opposite. Space folds inwards to create Galaxies, not the other way around.

I haven’t made it obvious that I won’t look at actual science and I don’t need to be lead to it by you; it is out there for everyone.
Which is why no one takes you seriously.

I’m pointing out that he is as bad an agent for the professional community as you used to be.
Neither of us are here in a professional capacity. When we do work in a professional capacity we're both taken seriously.

Defending him is a relapse into your true weakness, not having any self-respect.
So sticking up for someone with a clear understanding and working knowledge of science is a sign I have no self respect? Project much? You invent narratives about me and others, that people are obsessed with you and your 'work', when no one really gives you a second thought.

Just look at yourself. You invent, without justification, reason or evidence, 'explanations' about huge questions which major scientific research is done on. You want people to listen to you but you don't want to listen or take heed of any criticism. You don't make any effort to be properly informed, follow the scientific method or even discuss things rationally and intellectually honestly. You then accuse those people who not only do stay properly informed, follow the scientific method and can discuss things rationally and intellectually honestly but are paid professionals in it of all sorts of things, inventing entire narratives about them.

I hardly think you're taking the moral high ground and you are absolutely not taking the scientific high ground.

Tell me, what do you want these sorts of threads to accomplish? It isn't you learning things, you don't listen to people who understand Lorentz invariance or cosmology. It isn't to do something scientific, you openly admit you aren't interested in that. You aren't informing others of anything useful either. It would seem to the outside observer you want to put on a white coat and pretend to be a scientist, say a few buzzwords and consider yourself doing something non-pointless. Remember, Cpt and I might not be being very scientific here but that's because we do science 40+ hours a week offline. What we post here isn't meant to be proper science and of a high level, it's entertainment. And unlike you we don't delude ourselves into thinking otherwise.

Of course if I'm wrong please explain what the point of your threads are.

Which is why no one takes you seriously.

Neither of us are here in a professional capacity. When we do work in a professional capacity we're both taken seriously.

So sticking up for someone with a clear understanding and working knowledge of science is a sign I have no self respect? Project much? You invent narratives about me and others, that people are obsessed with you and your 'work', when no one really gives you a second thought.

Just look at yourself. You invent, without justification, reason or evidence, 'explanations' about huge questions which major scientific research is done on. You want people to listen to you but you don't want to listen or take heed of any criticism. You don't make any effort to be properly informed, follow the scientific method or even discuss things rationally and intellectually honestly. You then accuse those people who not only do stay properly informed, follow the scientific method and can discuss things rationally and intellectually honestly but are paid professionals in it of all sorts of things, inventing entire narratives about them.

I hardly think you're taking the moral high ground and you are absolutely not taking the scientific high ground.

Tell me, what do you want these sorts of threads to accomplish? It isn't you learning things, you don't listen to people who understand Lorentz invariance or cosmology. It isn't to do something scientific, you openly admit you aren't interested in that. You aren't informing others of anything useful either. It would seem to the outside observer you want to put on a white coat and pretend to be a scientist, say a few buzzwords and consider yourself doing something non-pointless. Remember, Cpt and I might not be being very scientific here but that's because we do science 40+ hours a week offline. What we post here isn't meant to be proper science and of a high level, it's entertainment. And unlike you we don't delude ourselves into thinking otherwise.

Of course if I'm wrong please explain what the point of your threads are.
I think by now you are the last person who is confused about my agenda.

Back