Lie Detectors

Would you take the test?

• Yes

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Even medical tests don't have an accuracy of 100%. So why would I risk my reputation on a technique which has the same validity as the reading of entrails?

Originally Posted by ashura
Simple, you're damned if you take it but more damned if you don't.

So you'd never exercise your right to remain silent?

Even medical tests don't have an accuracy of 100%. So why would I risk my reputation on a technique which has the same validity as the reading of entrails?

So you'd never exercise your right to remain silent?

You will also risk your reputation by refusing the test.
The test has some validity though..

I suppose this whole thing with whether to take a lie detector test or not comes down to how we respond to a morally or cognitively corrupt request.

There are cognitively and morally corrupt requests.

Taking a polygraph test, you might incriminate yourself. So being asked to take a polygraph test is actually asking you to do something that might incriminate you.
This is why this is a morally corrupt request.

Enmos:
You will also risk your reputation by refusing the test.

You risk your reputation by exercising the right to remain silent. Oh wait... no you don't. Because it can't be mentioned in court.

The test has some validity though..

Except when it comes to detecting moles in the FBI and CIA? Or when it comes to stripping perfectly honest individuals of the promotion they worked hard for? Or when it comes to the numerous clinical trials which demonstrate the fact that it's only slightly better than a random guess?

You risk your reputation by exercising the right to remain silent. Oh wait... no you don't. Because it can't be mentioned in court.
Nice tone.. had a rough day ? :rolleyes:
Ever hear of press ?

Except when it comes to detecting moles in the FBI and CIA? Or when it comes to stripping perfectly honest individuals of the promotion they worked hard for? Or when it comes to the numerous clinical trials which demonstrate the fact that it's only slightly better than a random guess?
So it has some value.. albeit only slightly better than a random guess.

..You risk your reputation by exercising the right to remain silent. Oh wait... no you don't. Because it can't be mentioned in court...

Nope it can't. But it always gets mentioned in the media to the general population. :mad: The general population who makes up your jury.

Lie detectors are RETARDED. An innocent person who would be nervous will fail the test. It's stooooopid!

Back