Votes: 16 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Orleander

OH JOY!!!!
Valued Senior Member
Pretend you're accused of a crime you didn't commit. Would you take a lie detector test?

I don't understand why lie detector tests aren't mandatory as long as you have a lawyer present.

Interesting. Well then I guess I'd still take it because

1. I'm innocent.
2. My willingness to take the test might give the prosecutor or law enforcement official a better opinion of me.
3. Ideally the evidence would confirm my innocence regardless of the test results.

You're nervous and you fail it. Guess what they think of you now. The media is told you failed it, guess what prospective jurors think.

Ideally, I'd be confident (arrogant?) enough to pass with flying colors. :p

the trick to tricking a lie detector test is in controlling the sphincter mussell, thats why it can easliy be passed, thats why they will never be 100%, its what some bloke told me in the pub

the trick to tricking a lie detector test is in controlling the sphincter mussell, thats why it can easliy be passed, thats why they will never be 100%, its what some bloke told me in the pub

That could actually be possible. Focusing on something else than the question might as well make a person able to answer the question (trutfully or lie) but accompany the answer with the physical reaction to something truthful (ie. movements of the sphincter muscle, but it could probably be any other part of the body, as long as it is not externally visible).

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polygraph:

Asked how he passed the polygraph test, Ames explained that he sought advice from his Soviet handler and received the simple instruction to: "Get a good night's sleep, and rest, and go into the test rested and relaxed. Be nice to the polygraph examiner, develop a rapport, and be cooperative and try to maintain your calm."

"What is commonly called « lie detector » is actually a polygraph that
essentially measures four parameters : heart rate, blood pressure,
respiration, and sweating (see the image at the bottom). The variation of
these parameters may be associated with some emotions but the question is
highly controversial. To my opinion, what should be clear is that the
polygraph measures the parameters mentioned above but not in any way
whether a person is telling the truth or not. Moreover, the output from a
polygraph may fail to detect real emotions (ex. fear) behind lying.
Indeed, a 1983 report by the Office of Technology Assessment concluded
that polygraphs are not an effective scientific method to check for
security breaches. I also think that having “false positive” is very
dangerous: a person may tell the truth while being highly stressed by the
situation. According to Alan P. Zelicoff (physicist at the Center for
National Security and Arms Control at Sandia National Laboratories in
Albuquerque, New Mexico): there are “tremendous cynicism and doubt about
the utility of the test in both management and technical staff.”

To answer your question more precisely, there are no study that have used
PET or fMRI as a “lie detector”. On the other hand, some people think that
it would yield better results than the polygraph because there are growing
evidence that certain parts of the brain are involved with emotions
(discussed briefly in Holden, 2001). On the other hand, one must remember
that emotions does not necessarily mean truth or lie although it may be
indicative in some cases."

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2001-07/994841079.Ns.r.html

I would if the polygraph were administered by an independent organization that my lawyer approved. The biggest problem with the polygraph is that the results have to be interpreted--if the person who administers it is unbiased and knowledgable there may be as low as a 5% margin of error but if that's not the case the margin of error can be as high 50% or higher (in other words no better than flipping a coin).

The National Academies of Science evaluation (in 2003) found that in a hypothetical population of 10,000 examinees for gov't positions that includes 10 spies

If the test were set sensitively enough to detect about 80 percent or more of deceivers, about 1,606 employees or more would be expected “fail” the test; further investigation would be needed to separate the 8 spies from the 1,598 loyal employees caught in the screen. If the test were set to reduce the numbers of false alarms (loyal employees who “fail” the test) to about 40 of 9,990, it would correctly classify over 99.5 percent of the examinees, but among the errors would be 8 of the 10 hypothetical spies, who could be expected to “pass” the test and so would be free to cause damage.

http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?isbn=0309084369

I wouldn't. They might as well ask me if I would be willing to submit to a palm reading. If its not reliable enough to be used as evidence in court, why bother?

Pretend you're accused of a crime you didn't commit. Would you take a lie detector test?

I think this is a no-win situation.

If I don't take the test, I will look suspicious. Even though the polygraph test is not mandatory, not taking it makes a person look suspicious. I doubt the jurors can really forget something just because the judge said "strike that from the record".

If I do take the test, I am quite sure that I would be so uncomfortable that all of my answers would look like lies, even when they'd ask me whether I have a head or not.

Either way, I'd lose.

I think this is a no-win situation.

If I don't take the test, I will look suspicious. Even though the polygraph test is not mandatory, not taking it makes a person look suspicious. I doubt the jurors can really forget something just because the judge said "strike that from the record".

If I do take the test, I am quite sure that I would be so uncomfortable that all of my answers would look like lies, even when they'd ask me whether I have a head or not.

Either way, I'd lose.

That's what the control questions are for. If you have nothing to hide you best take it.

Back