Let's cut through the chase: Jesus didn't exist.

wayne_92587 said:
I found your post which I mistakenly took to mean Myth in general and for that mistake I apologize
M*W: What it would mean to *me* would be all those years of research that I've put into this subject would finally come full circle to fruition. Even though somebody else may get the credit for it and get rich, it would still bring Christianity down, and for that, I would hope to be a contributor bringing the truth to humanity.

I never would have responded to one of your posts if I had Known that your expertise in myth was limited, Jesus Christ, Christianity.

M*W: My focus on religion was Christianity, because I was one. Therefore, I spent my time researching same. What it boiled down to was pagan myth. Still believing that Jesus must have existed at this time, I pursued Jesus' history and found there to be none. Therefore, Jesus, too, is a myth.

No surprise in your response, I should not have expected you to have a clue as to what I am talking about.

M*W: Oh, I have a clue or two about the myth of Jesus, but it is your posts that are clueless. You write as if you hear voices in your head, some of those, undoubtedly, tell you about Jesus the Christ. This is where most Christians hear about Jesus as well as from their church counterparts.

One question though, how do you have years of research on Jesus the Christ and Christianity without having come away without any general knowledge on other religious myths?

M*W: I have some knowledge on other myths, but I don't claim to be an expert. I have focused on the Jesus Myth.

The Muslims, Sunni I think, still await the coming of the Final Imam, Savior.

M*W: So? That's their religion. I'm not an expert on Islam. They can believe what they want.

The Salvation of Man requires that man become the Ultimate Survivor.

M*W: First, there is no salvation. The only salvation we have is what we do with our life on earth. There is no salvation after death. No saviors need apply.

The Term is not Jesus Christ, it is Jesus the Christ.

Since you have all those years of research on Jesus Christ perhaps you could explain to me, at what point did Jesus become the Christ?

M*W: Why would a term matter for a non-existent being? All those years of my research on Jesus and Christianity has proven to me that Jesus was never the Christ. He didn't exist. There is no savior and no salvation.
I am inclined to believe that your long years of reach are gleaned from a single point of view, your own.

You have an ill conceived perception of knowledge pertaining to the Reality of the Christ.

M*W: It wouldn't be research if all I did was form my own opinions. I've read probably more books than you have ever heard of. I've read scholarly books by both christian scholars and archeologists. I've compared both sides of the coin. For most authors out there, they don't believe in Jesus' existence, but for some christian scholars like Dominick Crossan, he doesn't believe in the resurrection, virgin birth or the trinity. There is a consortium of christian scholars who have taken it upon themselves to pose these and certain other 'contradictions' to try to rope in more christians since its dying worldwide. Bottom line, of course, is not the salvation of souls but the bank accounts of churches.

Wayne, it's quite obvious that you are confused, and your written speech would indicate that are not coherent. Rational discussion is an impossibility with you. Maybe you would fare better on a christian forum instead of sciforums. Maybe they would understand you.

KennyJC said:
I would have no problem believing Jesus existed if it wasn't for some of the radical claims of his ability to walk on water, rise from the dead and ascend up to heaven etc etc...

These claims tell me that it is just a story. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the writers of the new testament write about Jesus 50 years after his alledged death? This also wreaks of story telling being passed on through the generations. A classic game of chinese whispers.

The apostles and disciples weren't writing history books -- rather they were passing on what they knew before they died -- like a last will and testament. Perhaps waiting so long to "write it down" explains why the accounts don't agree on some minute details. Most of Paul's writings came in his final days in prison in Rome, prior to his own execution. He could no longer speak to people so he had plenty of time to write.

This also wreaks of story telling being passed on through the generations.

How so? the original witnesses were the source. If it was story telling, then why do the accounts agree between all the different sources? Are you saying it was some kind of conspiracy theory?

Last edited:
MW said:

For most authors out there, they don't believe in Jesus' existence, but for some christian scholars like Dominick Crossan, he doesn't believe in the resurrection, virgin birth or the trinity.

Are any of your authors teaching history or archeology in universities? Could you name a few?

OK I found the one you mentioned:

John Dominic Crossan is Professor Emeritus of Religious Studies, DePaul University, Chicago

Last edited:
yet no one can point to a single irrefutable piece of evidence to show he actually existed.

Can you prove anyone existed in the past, or what they said with absolute 100% certainty?

Do you have 100% faith in every news report you hear on television that includes the video footage?

I remember when politicians and military leaders were predicting the war in Viet Nam was going to be won, and on several different occasions.

Why did Lee Harvey Oswald kill JFK? How many versions of that did we hear? What about Jimmie Hoffa and RFK?

I remember reports that Hitler might not be dead. Nobody seriously entertained them.

OK, so the part that bothers you is the miracle reports about Jesus. There are miracle reports about Ernest Angley . Are you ready to dismiss that he (Ernest) exists today?

Woody said:
The apostles and disciples weren't writing history books -- rather they were passing on what they knew before they died -- like a last will and testament.

I don't believe for a second they were writing down historic fact. If they were writing about a 'saviour', they could not then write it as it happened can they? They simply must embellish the whole thing in order for the story to survive.

How so? the original witnesses were the source. If it was story telling, then why do the accounts agree between all the different sources? Are you saying it was some kind of conspiracy theory?

The origional witnesses may have been the source, but when they tell their friends what they saw or heard, do you think they'll stick to what actually happened?

Likely example: There is no wine, Jesus gets his gang to deliver wine. At some point down the line an excited peasant tells his villagers "And Jesus turned water into wine...". Suddenly myth spreads and becomes mainstay. If anyone who witnessed this for themselves says "actually... no, jesus simply brought the wine from his mates house..." Who will listen? They much preffer the peasants story.

If Jesus did exist, he would've been rather ordinary when you scrape away the myths.

Woody said:
Can you prove anyone existed in the past, or what they said with absolute 100% certainty?

Do you have 100% faith in every news report you hear on television that includes the video footage?

I remember when politicians and military leaders were predicting the war in Viet Nam was going to be won, and on several different occasions.

Why did Lee Harvey Oswald kill JFK? How many versions of that did we hear? What about Jimmie Hoffa and RFK?

I remember reports that Hitler might not be dead. Nobody seriously entertained them.

OK, so the part that bothers you is the miracle reports about Jesus. There are miracle reports about Ernest Angley . Are you ready to dismiss that he (Ernest) exists today?

You brought up a lot of good points here, but to your own detriment. This highlights the human way of embelishing stories such as the gunman on the grassy knoll or 9/11 conspiracies. When all the evidence is there, people still prefer larger more dramatic explanations.

First you have to justify your total identification of the Jesus mythos as you would have it, with modern fiction as we know it today. Fiction simply was not written in those terms at that time.

Firstly what we have to do is come to an actual basis with which to conduct the discussion. To be honest with you, you seem to be to'ing and fro'ing from what stance to the other to such degree that I am having difficulty understanding exactly where we stand.

When it comes to the attributed miracles, your latest statement:

"I did not in fact mean (as I thought I made clearer in later posts) that the events did not happen"

This seems to imply that you believe they did happen. However, when I browse back through your posts I see much that contradicts your latest stance:

"I have repeatedly stated that obviously I don't believe in any of the miraculous parts of the tale."

So what exactly do you believe or not believe? Your most recent attempt, (other than the virgin birth on the basis that it's unlikely anyone did a smear test), is to say that the events did indeed happen but the writers fudged it up. So, when it comes to walking on water, Jesus was actually just stood in a puddle during a rainy Sunday. This in my opinion is a weak way of trying to support the story and existence of characters within that story. You say that:

"Almost everything said about Jesus in the Gospels is undoubtedly fictional"

And yet stop short. You say Jesus existed, and yet everything else is nonsense. Why? Your arguments to answer that "why" come in the form that "people did not write fiction like that back in those days", which I again personally find to be a rather weak argument. Nobody ever really wrote about ents and hobbits until Tolkien came along, but that doesn't mean anything in those stories is true - including the character.

You also argue that if we are to state that Jesus is fictional then we must do so for countless other supposed historical figures. I have no issues with that, as I pointed to earlier - indeed using other figures from ancient texts and asking why you seemingly dismiss them instantly. But suffice it to say for now we are not talking about other people. We are talking about the character Jesus.. nobody else.

So let's be clear about this.. When we are talking about Jesus, we are talking about a character that was the son of god, born of a virgin, did miracles, got killed, got up again and ascended to a nice big throne in heaven. You simply cannot say "well, Jesus did exist but the rest is all bollocks or mistaken".

You say you expect to be read precisely in accordance with what you write, and having done just that I find myself confused as to what you attest to and what you don't. We need to clear that up.

In my opinion, the Gospel stories are more than sufficient evidence that there was such a person around whom the religion of Christianity was drawn, and there are many instances of things said about him which would not be the case if he was simply a fictional character

"Almost everything said about Jesus in the Gospels is undoubtedly fictional".

See my point? I can't keep up with your constant changes in stance. You tell me that the gospels are sufficient evidence while telling me "almost" everything is fiction. If, from your own words, almost everything is undoubtedly fiction, why stop one short of saying Jesus himself was fictional? Please, justify it.

like making him a Galilean carpenter who is simultaneously a Bethlehem-born descendant of David.

I'm sorry, but this is fiction at it's finest. Some poor peasant individual that rides an ass that turns out to be heir to the throne and kingdom. Or Arthur, a commoner that turns out to be the greatest king in English history.

Or describing him pathetically nailed to a cross to die like a dog, instead of heroically at the head of an uprising against Rome.

I think you have misunderstood the story, or are purposely playing it down.

As far as you are concerned, the Bible says, "he was born of a Virgin", which is obvioulsy impossible, so you throw out everything else that the books say about him.

Not exactly, and yet I understand the makings of good fiction whereas you are seemingly dismissing "almost all" of it as fiction and yet unjustifiably accepting one part because.. well, I still don't know why.

There is sufficient agreement amongst all four Gospels for us to be quite specific about one man named Jesus.

Certainly. A Jesus that was born of a virgin, was son of god, did miracles etc etc. What Jesus are you talking about?

I don't conclude the story is "entirely" fictional simply because it is littered with fictional elements.

You said almost everything is fiction, dismissed all the 'miraculous' aspects - and have since contradicted that and started playing down the miracles: "everyone can come back to life if you know how, it's no big deal", which is - imo - turning this discussion into a farce somewhat. You need to decide once and for all what you consider fictional and what you consider factual. Then you need to answer your own earlier statements concerning witnesses being able to know if it was fictional - and how those witnesses didn't manage to find out the "almost all" fictional part was indeed fictional.

The histories of Tacitus, for example, do not exist in anything older than an 11th Century manuscript! If Tacitus is to be read as reliable history, then the Gospel of Luke has at least equal claim

We can debate Tacitus later. For now let's stick to Jesus.

I'm afraid I'm not actually aware of any fictional characters of whom things have been written by different people, and not only have stories been told by those different people, but those stories differed in some details and not others.

Robin Hood, King Arthur, yada yada yada.

But enough of this.. Please, come to a conclusion as to what you consider fictional and what you consider factual and we'll take it from there.

KennyJC said:
I don't believe for a second they were writing down historic fact. If they were writing about a 'saviour', they could not then write it as it happened can they? They simply must embellish the whole thing in order for the story to survive.

The origional witnesses may have been the source, but when they tell their friends what they saw or heard, do you think they'll stick to what actually happened?

Likely example: There is no wine, Jesus gets his gang to deliver wine. At some point down the line an excited peasant tells his villagers "And Jesus turned water into wine...". Suddenly myth spreads and becomes mainstay. If anyone who witnessed this for themselves says "actually... no, jesus simply brought the wine from his mates house..." Who will listen? They much preffer the peasants story.

If Jesus did exist, he would've been rather ordinary when you scrape away the myths.

He was ordinary, as the bible says.

Did his disciples exist, or were they myths too?

Perhaps you could say Jesus was a great magician -- like David Copperfield when he made the statue of liberty disappear.

Last edited:
Wayne, it's quite obvious that you are confused, and your written speech would indicate that are not coherent. Rational discussion is an impossibility with you. Maybe you would fare better on a christian forum instead of sciforums. Maybe they would understand you.[/QUOTE]

Silly Girl, I am an Atheist.

Medicine Woman said:
M*W: It wouldn't be research if all I did was form my own opinions. I've read probably more books than you have ever heard of. I've read scholarly books by both christian scholars and archeologists. I've compared both sides of the coin. For most authors out there, they don't believe in Jesus' existence, but for some christian scholars like Dominick Crossan, he doesn't believe in the resurrection, virgin birth or the trinity. There is a consortium of christian scholars who have taken it upon themselves to pose these and certain other 'contradictions' to try to rope in more christians since its dying worldwide. Bottom line, of course, is not the salvation of souls but the bank accounts of churches.

-----------------------------------

I have no doubt that you have read more books that I have by both Christian scholars and archeologists.

I use the term salvation in a different way than you do.

Salvation

1. the act of saving or protecting from harm, risk, loss, destruction,
2. the state of being saved or protected from harm, risk, etc.
3. a source, cause, or means of being saved or protected from harm,
risk, etc.

I am not using the word salvation to mean;

4. Theol. deliverance from the power and penalty of sin; redemption.

How did Man become the Ultimate Survival, What manks Man more than a
mere animal??

I do not try to dispel myth simply by calling it a fairy tale.

Ancient Language can not be translated, it has to be interpreted.

What if Myth, to included religious myth, is simply a misinterpretation?
of an important Truth, meaning that whatever you read about myth is a perversion, an adulteration of said truth?

Forget the so called Jesus the man, what do you know about prophecies in
myth about the coming of a savior.

wayne_92587 said:
I found your post which I mistakenly took to mean Myth in general and
for that mistake I apologize

M*W: What it would mean to *me* would be all those years of research that I've put into this subject would finally come full circle to fruition. Even though somebody else may get the credit for it and get rich, it would still bring Christianity down, and for that, I would hope to be a contributor bringing the truth to humanity.

I never would have responded to one of your posts if I had Known that your expertise in myth was limited, Jesus Christ, Christianity.

No surprise in your response, I should not have expected you to have a clue as to what I am talking about.

One question though, how do you have years of research on Jesus the Christ and Christianity without having come away without any general knowledge on other religious myths?

The Muslims, Sunni I think, still await the coming of the Final Imam, Savior.

The Salvation of Man requires that man become the Ultimate Survivor.

The Term is not Jesus Christ, it is Jesus the Christ.

Since you have all those years of research on Jesus Christ perhaps you could explain to me, at what point did Jesus become the Christ?

I am inclined to believe that your long years of reach are gleaned from a single point of view, your own.

You have an ill conceived perception of knowledge pertaining to the Reality of the Christ.

Error in post.

"The Muslims, Sunni I think, still await the coming of the Final Imam, Savior."

It is not the Sunni Muslims that are waiting the coming of the Final Imam,
Savior, that await Salvation it is the Shi‘ites.

wayne_92587 said:
Silly Girl, I am an Atheist.
M*W: Plain English works best, but I haven't been a 'silly girl' for some 40 years.

I use the term salvation in a different way than you do.

Salvation

1. the act of saving or protecting from harm, risk, loss, destruction,
2. the state of being saved or protected from harm, risk, etc.
3. a source, cause, or means of being saved or protected from harm, risk, etc.

I am not using the word salvation to mean;

4. Theol. deliverance from the power and penalty of sin; redemption.

M*W: The word "salvation" in the biblical sense doesn't exist in the English language. I think your interpretation is more of "survival," and I agree with that definition. Survival is what we accomplished when I raised my four children alone.

How did Man become the Ultimate Survival, What manks Man more than a mere animal??

M*W: A higher IQ, ability to think rationally, an opposable thumb, standing erect, adding protein to the diet, etc.

I do not try to dispel myth simply by calling it a fairy tale.

M*W: Myth is the same thing as a fairy tale.

Ancient Language can not be translated, it has to be interpreted.

M*W: I disagree. There are lexicons on the Internet for ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, Syrriac languages. Interpretation leaves much room for error.

What if Myth, to included religious myth, is simply a misinterpretation? of an important Truth, meaning that whatever you read about myth is a perversion, an adulteration of said truth?

M*W: Religious myths may offer believable interpretation of certain truths with no perversion or adulteration at all. Some people believe these myths to be true. But a myth is still a myth, and even though some 'truths' may be offered in the myth, that doesn't make the myth true. Aesop's tortoise and hare is an example. It's a myth with a moral. Even today that ancient moral is a teaching moment, even though no one in history probably timed the tortoise and hare to see who got to the finish line first.
Forget the so called Jesus the man, what do you know about prophecies in myth about the coming of a savior.

M*W: There are many prophecies in myth about the coming of a savior -- none of whom were Jesus. Some 25 dying and rising again saviors, 16 of whom were also born of virgins, in a manger, with wise men coming with gifts, who rode on an ass, who was crucified, died, entombed, and rose again -- all with witnesses (i.e. although their own historicity is in question).

So there are many myths about coming saviors. None of them are real and none of them are true.

Medicine Woman said:
M*W: There are many prophecies in myth about the coming of a savior -- none of whom were Jesus. Some 25 dying and rising again saviors, 16 of whom were also born of virgins, in a manger, with wise men coming with gifts, who rode on an ass, who was crucified, died, entombed, and rose again -- all with witnesses (i.e. although their own historicity is in question).

So there are many myths about coming saviors. None of them are real and none of them are true.

I took the definintions of Salvation straight from Webster's.

What is a Virgin Birth?

What if, born of virgin is to be taken metaphorically?
Not only in ancient times but even today we use words metaphorically.

How do you interpret the meaning of word that is used as a metaphor.

Have you ever heard a male say to a crying whiny little boy, stop
acting like a little girl.

Is the little boy truly acting like a little girl?

Born of Woman and not of Man.

Son; a male person looked upon as the product or result of particular agencies, forces, influences.

The Son is expected to have the Nature of the Father, a Male, Masculine, Macho, Brawny, Nature.

A male child having been born of a Virgin does not take on the Nature of an
Earthly Father, Masculinity, Brawniness, is not Macho, is refined, Humane.

Macho;
–adj.
1. having or characterized by qualities considered manly, esp. when
manifested in an assertive, self-conscious, or dominating way.
2. having a strong or exaggerated sense of power or the right to dominate.
3. assertive or aggressive manliness; machismo.
4. an assertively virile, dominating, or domineering male.

Last edited:
You realize it is impossible for a child to be born to a virgin, right? Human phsyiology makes it impossible. Either god is a rapist or christianity is complete tripe. Take yer pick, varmint.

Hapsburg said:
You realize it is impossible for a child to be born to a virgin, right? Human phsyiology makes it impossible. Either god is a rapist or christianity is complete tripe. Take yer pick, varmint.

I do not know if this is in response to may post but if it is,

Good God man, how can I make it any more simple.

The Words Virgin Birth is a metaphor.

If your post is not in response to my post simply ignore what I said.

Last edited:
Hapsburg said:

You realize it is impossible for a child to be born to a virgin, right? Human phsyiology makes it impossible.

It's theoretically possible for a woman to have a virgin birth. It's called parthenogenesis It has been induced in some mammals, but no observed evidence in humans.

encyclopedia

SL said:

When we are talking about Jesus, we are talking about a character that was the son of god,

How can anyone prove that someone is born the son of god?

born of a virgin,

How can someone prove Mary was a virgin given the medical technology of the day? Surely Jesus didn't come with a birth certificate -- mother Mary, father -- God.

did miracles,

If David Copperfield was in Jesus day, he could be called a God by the superstitious masses.

150px-Copperfield.jpg

got killed,

Somebody got killed, how can you say it was Jesus? Jesus was captured at the Garden of Gethsemane. The pharisees and romans didn't know what he looked like for sure -- hence Judas's betrayal kiss for identification. Muslim's think Judas was crucified instead of Jesus. The bible says that his appearance was marred more than any man's -- he would be hard to recognize.

got up again

Maybe he was in hiding and the disciples took the wrong body out of the tomb. The jewish leaders said the disciples came and took the body. Afterward Jesus made his appearance with his full assortment of magic tricks -- like walking on water, walking through walls.. Perhaps he was so mesmerizing that it was all a hypnotic illusion -- how about that theory?

and ascended to a nice big throne in heaven.

Perhaps he said he was going to heaven and performed another illusion.

You simply cannot say "well, Jesus did exist but the rest is all bollocks or mistaken".

People reported what they thought they saw, like when the statue of liberty disappeared. I saw it "disappear" and it looked quite convincing.

Here's an interesting trick from the history of magic:

2700BC - The first known performance of a conjuring effect (cups and balls) by the magician Dedi in ancient Egypt. Dedi has done other effects by decaptitating a birds head and reattach the head resurrecting it.

It obviously takes two birds to do the trick -- a dead one and a live one.

;)

Of course this is all hypothetical, and I can rationalize any explanation that suits your fancy. I just accept the Jesus story as real, and that I am a future myth. 500 years from now someone can read through the sciforums threads and say -- "well nobody would have a name like "Snake Lord" so he's a pseudo personality."

Last edited:
Woody said:
It's theoretically possible for a woman to have a virgin birth. It's called parthenogenesis It has been induced in some mammals, but no observed evidence in humans.
It is also theoretically possible for an elephant to balance itself on a basketball hoop.
If it has not been observed and recorded, it has no viability as a theory or hypothesis.

I saw David Copperfield fly once. I was very impressed. I tried starting a religion around him, but folks just couldn't get past the hair. I mean, just look at it!

150px-Copperfield.jpg

Back